Simple Etiquette of Quran Recitation
During Ramadan, many of us strive to recite the Quran in abundance. Below are some tips, as articulated by Shaykh al-Islam Imam al-Nawawi, to enhance our recitation and form a bond with the Quran.
- Sincerity: Approach the Quran with a sincere heart and an intention of getting closer to Allah Subhana wa T’aala.
- A clean mouth: Recite with a clean mouth. Any tool, such as a toothbrush or a miswak stick, can be used for this purpose.
- Ritual purity: It is recommended to be in a state of wudu when reciting the Quran. However, it is permissible to recite in a state of minor ritual impurity (a minor ritual impurity is anything that requires wudu but not ghusl/bath). A person should not recite Quran if they are in a state of major ritual impurity (anything that necessitates a bath). However, such a person can say the Quran (silently) in their heart.
- Dry Ablution: If a person is in a state of major ritual impurity and does not have access to water, they can make dry ablution or Tayammum.
- Place of recitation: Recite the Quran in a clean place.
- Facing the Qibla: it is recommended to face the Qibla when reciting. It has been related in a hadith: “The best way to sit is facing the Qibla” (Abu Yala, al-Tabarani in al-Aswat).
- Seeking Protection: Before beginning recitation, one should say: Audhu billah min al-shaytan al-rajim - I seek protection by God from the Accursed Devil.”
- Basmala: One should begin recitation by saying, “Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim” - In the name of God, Most Merciful and Compassionate.
- Humility and Reflection: Approach the Quran with humility and reflect on its verses during recitation. Scholars have said, “There are five medicines for the heart: reciting the Quran with reflection, emptying the stomach, standing at night in prayer, supplicating during the last part of the night, and sitting with the righteous.”
Imam Abu Zakariya Yahya al-Nawawi. Etiquette with the Quran. Translated by Musa Fuber. Islamosaic, 2013.
Topics: Quran, Ramadan Values: Humility, Sincerity Channel: Ramadan - Day 13