Print Page | Close Window

Parent Issues, in need of help.

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: General Islamic Matter
Forum Description: Discuss Islamic matters/issues that not covered by other sub catagories
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16434
Printed Date: 26 April 2024 at 4:40pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Parent Issues, in need of help.
Posted By: Shawn
Subject: Parent Issues, in need of help.
Date Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:44am
I have been considering greatly becoming Muslim.  I recently told my parents about this, though i have been thinking about it for over a year.  My mom said she would like to bring me to a Mosque, and i hope that she will soon.  But my father says what i am doing is dumb, and he thinks I'll never be able to convert, for my personality.  My mom has recently said that she thinks that I, would not be able to.  I really need that support from my parents, yes, i have support from many others, but there's not support like your own parents.  I need help on this, I don't really know what to do, I thank you for your help. Please ask any questions you would like to know.

Replies:
Posted By: Full of Hopes
Date Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:29am

OH dear brother, welcome to the IC.  May Allah help you and open the way for you and your parents into the light of Islam.. I am so so glad for your great intentions and I pray that Allah gives you the strength.

What religion are your parents? What do you by your personality according to Islam? Smile..

I will try to do my best in sha Allah in my free time.
  Take care..

-------------
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 08 March 2010 at 12:29pm
Shawn, welcome!  Conversion is a simple utterance, however I assume your parents think you will be unable to faithfully carry out the tenets of your new religion, should you become a Muslim.  You will earn their trust and support as time progresses, so don't let this prevent you from going forward now.  We pray one day you will share with us how they both embraced Islam as well - through your example, God-willing!

Date Posted: 08 March 2010 at 12:50pm
Jazak Allah. And my parents do not have a certain religion, and my father has stated that he does not believe in God.  My father says i disrespect him, but if i do, i do not mean to, it is simply because i feel as though he does not treat me the way a father should, but i am trying to ignore that and treat him with the most respect regardless.  My mother i treat with respect greatly, for i have known her all my life and she has raised me as a single mother many times.  My real father recently passed away, but my parents were divorced, the father i am speaking of now is my step father. 

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:44am
Asalaaam Alaikum Shawn,

Welcome to IC.

it would be wonderful to have your parents support. AND doing your Shahada and becoming a Muslim is about your relationship to Allah, your Creator. Many of us reverts have doubts about our own abilities to integrate Islam into our lives. But you have to open to the door to find out. And its journey of life Shawn. Where you will be in 20-30 years, only Allah knows.

Also, do it for yourself, and yourself alone. I did not tell family or friends for 2 years after I did my Shahada. I am not a "disclosure" type but I also felt it was very personal, in the deepest regions of my heart. Not for anyone or anything.

And your parents having "doubts" is often from a mis-understanding of religion, Islam or most others.

And I take karate, if you do your Shahada, its like you agree to take martial arts classes. It does not mean you are a black belt (or even get to black belt). If you have the basic beliefs then you sign up, study, learn and aim to become closer to your Creator.

Do you live with your parents? How old are you?

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 09 March 2010 at 2:13pm
I'm 14, and i just today went to a mosque.  They said i can return friday, and they will have a Muslim close to my age help me, and translate the arabic for me.  I'm very excited to go friday.

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:03pm

Do let us know Shawn after your embrace Islam. Even we are excited to congragulate you on friday

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:52pm

(: the first thing i plan on asking friday is for them to help me say it.

Posted By: martha
Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 3:57am
Shawn,
Personally, as a mom, I would not be happy if my 14yr old converted to any religion without telling me.
There should be no secrets like that between a child and parent. I know in Islam you do not have to tell anyone what you are doing, but think about your mother also. Taking the shahada is a BIG step, especially for someone of your age.
Just think about it a lot before you go ahead.

-------------
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 4:12am
Seeks and other members,
Do you have any idea what it's like for a young person to make this kind of decision? HAve you any idea what the repercussions could be for this young man if he goes ahead?
He could lose ALL his friends, maybe his family too. He should not have any secrets like this. He can learn more about Islam and decide as an adult to do shahada.What is the hurry for him? God knows his heart, but Shawn also has to live in this world. He could have many hardships in the future . I don't feel we should rush him. We don;t know all his circumstances do we? Forget that muslims will help him, his best help as a young man comes from his family first.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 4:19am
Shawn,

Look at this link and make sure you understand all the conditions of shahada

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/9points.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 4:35am
Martha,

On one level I agree with you, but it also sounds like his family knows and are not threatening to throw him out of the house. He IS working with his parents. 

And maybe you have a view that 14 year olds are "children." Some children are quite mature at this age. I've taught many of them. We tend to actually, in the west,  put down young people and do not teach them responsibility. Young people CAN do great things. We tend to disrespect the young. And frankly, its great he would have the COURAGE. Most teens have nothing but dumb stuff in their head. And you know, don't be a follower. He looses friends, guess what, then they weren't really his friends. Why live a lie with them? Why say "pretend" you don't care about Islam and hide and live a lie?  What friends are those??? You talk about people standing up and doing the right thing, you rally against Muslims who don't cause they won't "take the risk."

And on one level your link is "correct" but not correct at the same time. I am surprised you posted it. He could do his Shahada and die tomorrow.. he is by all accounts past puberty and thus responsible for his actions.  This is one perspective on the Shahada.  And no we are not expected to have all of our "ducks" lined up when we do our Shahada. That is NOT true.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Shawn Shawn wrote:

(: the first thing i plan on asking friday is for them to help me say it.

That would be fine. By the way Shawn, why don't you read this and practice. Its the same, insha Allah, which will be read out there. You shall get used to it, if repeat it. AND Insha Allah, on Friday, it shall be easy for you to pronounce it

ASH-HADU ANLA ELAHA ILLA-ALLAH WA ASH-HADU ANNA MOHAMMADAN RASUL-ALLAH"

Which means : "I bear witness that there is no deity (none truely to be worshipped) but, Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah",

This uttering would be a formality, once when you started believing strongly that Islam is a true faith, you are a muslim. Anyways, brother, am quiet excited and counting the days !! All will be well, insha Allah. Stay firm and have trust in Allah Smile

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Seeks and other members,
Do you have any idea what it's like for a young person to make this kind of decision?

Come on Martha ! we have live examples of youngsters before us at this forum  who are young. By the way as sis Hayfa said, his family is not threatening him. If he feels he will hurt them very much, he can hide his faith untill the right time. Its permitted in Islam to disclose his religion at appropriate time. 

By the way,  Shawn, if you are reading this, you shall proud to know, that many dear companions of Prophet Muhammad {Peace be upon him} embraced Islam when they were around Shawn's age {under 21}. You must not be aware of those names, Shawn as you are new. Once when you study more and more, i shall write to you their beautiful stories. You shall insha Allah, feel proud that even you embraced Islam at such a young age. You shall thank Allah for this blessing, insha Allah. Smile Thats the reason why am excited for you. I remembered those stories of young companions when read of you.

HAve you any idea what the repercussions could be for this young man if he goes ahead?

As said, he need not disclose his faith, if he feels threatened from his family. By the way a muslim would not care for all these fears, Martha. Did you not read, he has no such fears you are holding for him. By the way above all of us, and above all muslims, he has Allah with him., Is n't it Shawn Smile

He could lose ALL his friends, maybe his family too. He should not have any secrets like this.

Not necessary ! There are many reverts whom i know personally. Infact, those non-muslim friends help them. By the way don't you think, that would be a time to know who our true friends are ! Their live with there families. They practise own religions

He can learn more about Islam and decide as an adult to do shahada.What is the hurry for him? God knows his heart,

We are not forcing him Martha. When he did study Islam and when he feels he is satisfied with Islam as his way of life, what's bothering you!

Comeon Martha, stand by him. You said you are a muslim. Don't you know that Islam is the only right religion. Why are you confusing him ! Its not necessary that one shud be an adult to embrace Islam. There;s no such condition.  Truly God knows his heart, whats wrong if he just pronounces shahadah before people. He may or may not disclose it to his family / friends. God knows him, right!

Why do you not bother of his life after death rather than these hardships {if at all} of this world which would at the most last for few years. Don't u know that Allah burdens only that which can bear ! Why are you scaring him !!

but Shawn also has to live in this world. He could have many hardships in the future . I don't feel we should rush him. We don;t know all his circumstances do we?

Comeon Martha, don't pour your negative thinking over him. Its not necessary that he would face all that. When we don't know the future why be a pessimist ! Even if he faces, Allah is with him. {Shawn, when you need us anytime, do let us know}

Forget that muslims will help him, his best help as a young man comes from his family first.

Yes, Shawn forget that muslims will help. Allah swt shall help you thru any source, be it muslim or non-muslim. BEST HELP IS FROM ALLAH.

By the way Shawn as our members advised you, kindly see that you are good to your family even than before, This shall insha Allah, let know your family members that your religion did not  snatch their son/brother. Islam teaches us to behave with goodness towards them.

We shall all pray for you, Shawn. May Allah ease your process, bless you with happiness, in this world as well as hereafter. Ameen

-------------

Posted By: haris30432
Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 10:55am
Peace Shawn,

I can imagine how u must b feeling now..after seeing all that comments from other members.Anyways,i m happy that you are interested in Islam.MayGOD guide you to the best understanding.Shawn,my intention here is not to confuse you or scare you in anyway but try my best to make you understand the best way God willing.You wrote that u have been thinking of converting to Islam which i assume means that you are still learning about Islam.And thats exactly what u need to do first.Learn islam more.Islam and muslim is not just about uttering words.Its a lot more.Its a way of life,which is definitely HUGE.So im all for your conversion to Islam but u need to know that its not a decision that u need to take on impulse.I ve heard of many who converted to Islam not knowing many things and eventually could not cope and left Islam.BTW i wud like to assert that Islam is a simple religion.Its easy to practice but it all depends on how you understand it and how sincere you are in seeking the truth.So there is no hurry ,take your time  and learn as much as u can about Islam and muslims.I think spending a couple of months here in this forum and discussing things with people here will give you  a picture and help you understand Islam.I can also understand the excitement that you are having and u will also see a lot of excitement around you which is good but again remember that Shahadah comes from heart.The purification process and growing of ones soul starts from there until the day we meet our LORD!So Shawn,id like to give u an imaginary hug hahahha and congratulate you!Salamun Alaikum!

27:93] And say, "Praise be to GOD; He will show you His proofs, until you recognize them. Your Lord is never unaware of anything you do."

[21:37] The human being is impatient by nature. I will inevitably show you My signs; do not be in such a hurry.

[40:77] You shall be patient, for GOD's promise is truth. Whether we show you some of (the retribution) we have promised for them, or terminate your life before that, they will be returned to us.

God is the Only

One Who Guides

[2:272] You are not responsible for guiding anyone. GOD is the only one who guides whoever chooses (to be guided). Any charity you give is for your own good. Any charity you give shall be for the sake of GOD. Any charity you give will be repaid to you, without the least injustice.

[5:16] With it, GOD guides those who seek His approval. He guides them to the paths of peace, leads them out of darkness into the light by His leave, and guides them in a straight path.

[6:77] When he saw the moon rising, he said, "Maybe this is my Lord!" When it disappeared, he said, "Unless my Lord guides me, I will be with the strayers."

[6:88] Such is GOD's guidance, with which He guides whomever He chooses from among His servants. Had any of them fallen into idolatry, their works would have been nullified.

[7:178] Whomever GOD guides is the truly guided one, and whomever He commits to straying, these are the losers.

God Guides the Believers

[10:9] As for those who believe and lead a righteous life, their Lord guides them, by virtue of their belief. Rivers will flow beneath them in the gardens of bliss.

[10:25] GOD invites to the abode of peace, and guides whomever He wills in a straight path.

[10:35] Say, "Does any of your idols guide to the truth?" Say, "GOD guides to the truth. Is one who guides to the truth more worthy of being followed, or one who does not guide, and needs guidance for himself? What is wrong with your judgment?"

[13:27] Those who disbelieve would say, "If only a miracle could come down to him from his Lord (we would believe)." Say, "GOD sends astray whomever He wills, and guides to Him only those who obey."

:)

-------------
ONE GOD ONE SOURCE OF LAW!

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:12am
Hey Hayfa,

We really don't know how his parents are. We don;t know how long he has been studying Islam. We can only go on what he has said.
Sure he can take shahada on Friday. But he needs to understand it is more than just a declaration. MOst reverts study some time before they become muslim, don;t they? That would be good for Shawn.
Having worked 24/7/365 with youngsters in my care and in my home I do know how mature they can or can't be. I have 3 kids too..they certainly were mature at 14. SO why would I think that Shawn at 14 is a kid? If anything, being open about this is acting very appropriately.
Sure, give him positive views, give him all views. That is being mature.
And how is my link correct and yet not correct? I didn't make up those conditions. And sure, something could happen to Shawn soon after shahada. I am not talking about him not being responsible for his actions at 14, far from it. BUt God will understand also if he takes his time to be REALLY sure about this.
And I have never understood WHY a person should keep their reversion secret from a parent or from anyone else.
It's great if Shawn has the courage and determination. BUt if he has any doubts about becoming muslim then he should wait a while.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:26am
Seeks,
Salams,
To you I will also say..WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HIS FAMILY HAVE REALLY SAID.
I know muslims say it is ok to lie to your parents. I just don;t agree with that.

Shawn is living in a completely different place and time to the Prohpet's companions)pbut). It is not an ideal world..some care should be taken.

I DO care about his life after this life.very much so. So if he becomes muslim and then rejects it later on, is that not more harmful for him then? Should he not be warned about this?

I am just suggesting that he thinks and prays really hard about this before making his mind up.

Seeks, tell me what your family would do if you became a Christian tomorrow? Would they reject you? What would they do to you?

All religions are true to some extent. People choose what they want, but they should learn enough basics first. After all it is a life changing decision.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 1:02pm
Well, i did tell my parents.  My mom brought me to the mosque on tuesday.  We walked in a store right next to the mosque, which had Muslims from the mosque in it.  We talked to them and told them that i would like to convert soon.  After talking to them, they invited me to come back on friday, and this time to go inside the mosque.  The older man said that he knows someone that could help me that is around my age, and that he could translate the arabic into english for me.  I think my parents have realized that I'm serious about it, and are starting to warm up to the idea.  And as far as losing friends, i am not worried.  If they are true friends my religion won't matter, and I'm sure my family will stand behind me in anything i do.  I'm excited to return to the mosque on friday, and will update you all on what happenedBig%20smile

Posted By: MadaniChild
Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 1:48pm
Asalamualaikum,

I would like to say that everything that you are saying is affecting Shawn. Some of you are encouraging him, and others are scaring him. I think that Shawn is capable of realizing if this religion is right for him or not. Shawn needs guidance, the rest is up to him. Personally, I think that as soon as he is 100 percent sure, he should convert because there are alot of people who can help him learn what he needs to know. May Allah guide him.

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 5:00pm
Martha;

My mom said she would like to bring me to a Mosque, and i hope that she will soon. 

and i just today went to a mosque.  They said i can return friday,

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 5:14pm
member_profile.asp?PF=62688&FID=88 - haris30432
I agree with what you are saying.  I don't want to rush it, and i think about it everyday, if it's what i truly want to do.  Surely i doubt myself just like any human would, but at the same time, I've always decided that I want to convert.

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 5:16pm

Well, i did tell my parents.  My mom brought me to the mosque on tuesday.  We walked in a store right next to the mosque, which had Muslims from the mosque in it.  We talked to them and told them that i would like to convert soon.  After talking to them, they invited me to come back on friday, and this time to go inside the mosque.  The older man said that he knows someone that could help me that is around my age, and that he could translate the arabic into english for me.  I think my parents have realized that I'm serious about it, and are starting to warm up to the idea.  And as far as losing friends, i am not worried.  If they are true friends my religion won't matter, and I'm sure my family will stand behind me in anything i do.  I'm excited to return to the mosque on friday, and will update you all on what happenedBig%20smile

Big%20smile - Allahu Akbar. {Allah is the Greatest} . All Praises be to Allah  who blessed you with steadfastness.  Shall be waiting for the updates, insha Allah, shawn.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by MadaniChild MadaniChild wrote:

Asalamualaikum,

I would like to say that everything that you are saying is affecting Shawn. Some of you are encouraging him, and others are scaring him. I think that Shawn is capable of realizing if this religion is right for him or not. Shawn needs guidance, the rest is up to him. Personally, I think that as soon as he is 100 percent sure, he should convert because there are alot of people who can help him learn what he needs to know. May Allah guide him.

Walaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Welcome to Islamicity, sis.

Wishing you a happy stay. Insha Allah, any sort of help to learn, we will all do that. Hope you too join us. Smile

Stay active sis.

-------------

Posted By: MadaniChild
Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 5:26pm
Jazak Allah (:

Date Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:17pm
...sigh...I was not, nor am I trying to scare Shawn here.
Ultimately Shawn is deciding. So...all input is important.
If people say I am being negative, well, that is all part of life too. Life is not all about positives here.

@Shawn- the main thing is that you are happy with your decision. It is yours to make. Whatever you decide should not affect anyone here. Keep your mom on your side. She is far more important than anyone else in your life. And really, I only want the best for you. That is why I responded to your post. As other members felt it their duty, so I also felt it mine. I hope you can understand that.

You have now said that your mom took you to the mosque on Tuesday. My concern was that she didn't know you had been. And when you first posted here you were unsure..that is why you came to ask at the forum. And when you said you have been thinking about this for a year that didn't say how much studying or enquiring you had been doing.

Haris has given you sound advice. You can say that I was one of those people he mentioned in his post, who accepted Islam without knowing enough. All I knew then, nearly 7 years ago, was that I wanted to follow the same Islam that the Prophet Muhammad put in place. I struggled for all these years before I realised I wasn't doing that. It makes a big difference. Now I am on a better path.

@ forum members- I have heard here, many times, that it matters not what sect of Islam you belong to..that we are all muslims. So I am announcing that I am no longer a follower of the Sunni Islam. It does not fit well with me. So... with that in mind no more needs to be said on this matter.

I am not bothered by much these days. I feel I am in a far better place. God is with me, and I follow Him. How I choose to do that is very personal and does not need explaining to others. No-one has encouraged/pursuaded me to alter my course..it was all my decision, so I hope no blame is put on any other person.

Salams to all.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 March 2010 at 12:16pm
Martha,
I did not mean any disrespect toward you, for i understand where you are coming from.  You were simply trying to warn me about the other side of the issue.  Thank you.

Posted By: Saladin
Date Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

I know muslims say it is ok to lie to your parents. I just don;t agree with that.

To lie/conceal the truth is an act of kufr and you know what that means but there's no harm in lying if its to prevent something bad from happening.

-------------
'Trust everyone but not the devil in them'

Date Posted: 12 March 2010 at 7:31pm
As Salamu Alaikum

Mariyah, read this thread

http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7691 - http://www.islamicity.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7691

Insha Allah, you shall know as why those verses of Qur'an were revealed. Qur'an is for all times.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:22pm
I know muslims say it is ok to lie to your parents.

I think this is a broad generalization. At timesits ok to lie to people. At times its ok to kill someone, there are specific guidelines for everything.  But this is a sweeping generalization.  Maybe you could have written it as something like:

"I know some Muslims think it is ok to sometimes lie to parents."

-------------

Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 8:09am
For everyone on this forum, i have officially converted to IslamBig%20smile

Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 8:27am
As Salamu Alaikum rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

{May peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you}

Allahu Akbar !

How was your day Shawn ? Can you share your story as what made you to study Islam and take it as your religion ? {Kindly share it at our section - Stories - Why I became a Muslim ?

Congragulations brother.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 8:28am
You can gradually learn more and more. Kindly share with us that you learn, so that insha Allah, even we may learn from you. Stay active brother.

-------------

Posted By: UmmFatima
Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 12:53pm
I know a girl who became Muslim at 16. It happens!

I say take your shahada and let Islam take you on a new path. Of course you have to be open with your parents. But remember that it takes time for MOST parents to accept the path their children take when they choose to leave their parents' religion. My parents took a few months, my friend's a couple years, others even longer.

What counts is that you show your parents the real face of Islam - family comes first and we respect everyone, especially our parents! My father noticed that I am a better daughter since I converted.

May Allah bless you and whatever path you choose to take.

-------------
�Our Lord! Grant us comfort in our spouses and descendants, and make us leaders of the God-fearing.� -Al-Furqan 74

Posted By: Full of Hopes
Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 1:11pm

Allah Akbar.. I am sooo happy for the good news here, dear brother..Hug

may Allah keep us all on the right path,, with Quraan and Sunnah/Hadith and the way of Sahabh.. start educating yourself dear brother,, you will be stronger and taste a new kind of happiness in your heart that you never knew before Islam. This is the state of the faith and belief in the ONE TRUE GOD.. Now when you are happy thank Allah, when are sad cry for Allah to help you,, when you are in need ask your LORD and say I am your slave and I believed in you.. Allah never never never leave you when you need Him.. and brother even when you are worried leave your problems for Him..Just do your best and Allah is taking care of you.. and protecting you when you do not know..Wink

I am so happy for you and full of tears..

Forgive me for being so busy to follow your post..

-------------
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)

Date Posted: 13 March 2010 at 1:20pm
I'm very happy I took the Shahada, of course at age 14 it is a little bit overwhelming.  But gradually i will get use to it, and find an ever greater love in Allah.  One of my friends that is also muslim taught me a more simplified way to pray, so even though i can't fully pray to Him, I can at least praise him to the best of my ability.  I plan on adding more to how i pray each day, saying more, doing all the rakaats, etc.

Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 12:05am

You know Shawn the following are the companions of Prophet who embraced Islam when were in teens, like you Smile. Infact they underwent lots of hardships. Am glad alhamdullilah that you don't have any such problems with your family.

Anyways here are those companions of Prophet, who were muslims in teens

lbn Ishaq mentions that the first male to believe the Prophet and give him support and believe in Islam was a ten-year-old boy named Ali ibn Abi Talib. Almost all of the first followers of the prophet were below the age of forty and included individuals like Az-Zubair ibn al-Aawwam who became a Muslim at the age of sixteen

Abu 'Ubaidah Ibn al-Jarrah became Muslim at seventeen, and several others.

Jafar bin Abi Talib older brother of Ali, was also too young.

Mus'ab b. Umayr (d. 3 H.)

A member of Mecca's wealthiest and noblest family, Mus'ab was raised in comfort and abundance. He was liked by everyone for his way of dressing, his courtesy and his physique. He was an extremely intelligent youth and, due to his fine and clear speech, everyone envied him. There was no worldly blessing Mus'ab had not attained. However, he was in a spiritual crisis. Eventually he went to the Prophet who was in Arkam's house and became Muslim.

His family had tried everything to make him forego this new religion. But Mus'ab abandoned his family, fortune and Mecca and immigrated to Abyssinia. When at the First Aqaba oath those from Medina asked for a teacher to teach them Islam, the Prophet immediately appointed him to this duty. Many people in Medina entered Islam with his efforts, and most learned Islam from him.

Arqam b. Abi'l-Arqam (d. 55)

One of the first converts to Islam, Arkam's house next to the Safa Peak became a headquarters for the Prophet and other Muslims. Tied with loyalty to the Prophet, he put his house under the Prophet's command. Finding this house, called the "Daru'l-Arqam" in Islamic history, to be very suitable for Islamic activities, the Prophet made it into a center. At first, Muhammad (pbuh) would clandestinely call people to Islam in this house, and he would teach them how to worship here. Muslims also hid in this house to escape the persecution of the idolators.16

Opening his house, which was just next to the Kaaba, for the call to Islam when he was only a youth of 17-18, shows what a very brave and self-sacrificing young man he was.

These were little extracts Shawn. I felt very happy when you decided that you will be a muslim. I simply remembered those sahabas.
May Allah swt shower His Mercy over you always my brother. Do remember this sister in Islaam in your prayers {duas}

May Allah swt reward the brother with abundance who got the oppurtunity to guide you. Ameen

-------------

Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 6:38am
HugAssalamu alaikum!

Date Posted: 14 March 2010 at 11:07am

Jazak Allah.  You all have helped me greatly in positive support for such a big decision in my life. Also thank you all for sharing stories of other young people converting to Islam.  The only problem I've really encountered is with my step father.  Not long ago my biological dad passed away, which he would've been in great support of anything i decided to do.  But the nearest Mosque is about 20-30 mins away, and he got annoyed with me and my mom driving there every week, but it is simply for me to learn, because there is much i still need to learn; but he doesn't seem to understand that.  But either way my mom said she'd at least try to bring me once a weekSmile

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 17 March 2010 at 9:31am
As'sallamualaikum Brother Shawn !

That's really nice of your mom to be willing to drive you to the mosque ! Do you go there to study or to pray ?

Since you Mom is being supportive, alhamdulilah ! (Praise be to God) thats awesome. But if you have trouble commuting, you could always learn online :). There are some great websites out there, and we will inshAllah always be willing to help in anyway we can.

Stick around Bro !

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Posted By: lego1357
Date Posted: 25 March 2010 at 9:13am

Brother,

AA, I would say to you  in this regard, that you should revise your decision and it should not be just on the basis of  some passion. However if the truths of Islam have been revealed to you by Almighty God and you have noted all the facts and miracles about Islam then do convert  to Islam but I request you that after becoming a Muslim, be a real Muslim and the true follower of Prophet Muhammad PBUH who is beneficial for all the humanity. Preach the real values of Islam and follow them after careful studies and work.

Posted By: lightguidance
Date Posted: 30 August 2010 at 6:52am
Allah akbar.....Congragulations brother.Shawn.praise be to Allah
 I am very happy for you all I can tell you that the improvement to your parents more than before Perhaps that would make them  Accept Islam  also 

Posted By: kristinthomas
Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 3:22am
It is simply because I feel as if they treat me like the father should be, but I try to ignore it and treat it the highest respect regardless. I respect my mother very much, and I have known him all my life and she has raised many times a single mother. Right to my father recently passed away, but my parents divorced, the father I refer to my stepfather.

Posted By: tearjecker0510
Date Posted: 04 November 2010 at 8:30pm
Great forum!!! Thanks for sharing guys!! I have learned a lot here. Now I know what to do now. Keep up the good work.

Posted By: jessiered0510
Date Posted: 13 November 2010 at 5:47pm

Great forum!!! Thanks for the information guys. Now I know what to do when I encounter things like this.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net