IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another Random Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Random Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:37am

Thanks you so much Shams, Alwardah. 

I love to find the truth behind what practices are Islam and what are cultural. 

The name thing always baffled me.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

Hi Angela

I don't know why u feel Angela nor Candy will not be accepted.

In Arabic Malaeekah is the female for angel and this name is used very commonly.

I don't see any problem with candy also, candy means sweets or chocolates right.

Mainly I think reverts just feel that they should change their names-a personal choice to make a complete change from their past life to their present one.

In turkey is alot name with Melek, that means Angel...

Maybe the meaning of the name is important..Some1 who has name they is only from a holly person or like this,  in another Religion besides Islam. There is names like cristian (for male) or cristine (for female).They could be changed..

Allahu Aleem...

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:25am
Thank you Mushen.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Thank you Mushen.

...your welcome...

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:25am

I was wondering why even cristy or christine or similar name originating from "Christ" be objectionable where it means "the Massaiah" in arabic or "the liberator or savior" in english. This was the title for a human being (as Muslims believe) mentioned in Quran, therefore can be acquired by others as well without much reservations among Muslims, at least.

Now, as far as keeping names that are specifically attributed to Allah, such as Khaliq, Wahid, Ahad etc is concerned, usually people add another qualifier name e.g. Abdul (meaning slave of) with it to depict the right association as a humble human being. Therefore, the complete name becomes Abdul Khaliq (slave of creator) or Abdul Wahid (slave of the One), etc. Hence this name "Abdul Wahid" is not two names but a single name and none of the two can be seperated and taken as literally the first, middle, or last name. However, in practice, people forget about the "first half" of the name i.e. Abdul and simply call him with the "second half" of the name as a convenience , which ofcourse is not appropriate. I have seen this mal-practise mostly in non-Arabic Muslim countries as some of my Arabic speaking brothers were very particular in calling their children with complete names.

CrescentStar67 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrescentStar67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 2:00pm

Interesting thread,thanks for posting it and the replies..I was wonderin the same things..

My paternal fathers real last names means lion,and since I dont have his last name I was wanting to use the Arabic for Lion.

Is there an Arabic name for Jeremiah?

Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2006 at 9:32am
I absolutely agree with Brother Ahmed Joyia!
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2006 at 10:53am

Salam ,

I agree with both brothers AhmadJoyia and shams Zaman.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic