Print Page | Close Window

Another Random Question

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3515
Printed Date: 13 May 2024 at 3:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Another Random Question
Posted By: Angela
Subject: Another Random Question
Date Posted: 24 January 2006 at 8:27am

Okay, it was explained to me that to adopt a child islamically, you cannot change the name of the child because it takes the child's father's name from them.

Okay, then, isn't it wrong for reverts to change their name when they get married, denying their father's name in doing so?

I mean, the name of your father is in the West your surname, there is no Ibn Russell, its simply Daley.  (in the case of my husband)

So why the rush to deny your true name when you revert? 

Replies:
Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:55am

Angela,

Reverts can keep their name as long as it does not contradict islamic principles. 

Question#:
Question Date:
11/25/1996
Topic :
Names
Question:
Asalam Alikum. I am wondering if there are any hadith that support the need to change my name to a muslim (or arabic) name. I notice many people change their name when they convert to islam and I was wondering if this is sunnah or just something people chose to do. Asalam Alikum.
Answer:
We are sorry for the late response but we hope the following information will help. There is no specific Hadith requiring a person to change their name after accepting Islam. The vast majority of the Sahabah (companions of the Prophet) did not change their name after accepting Islam. However it is recommended if a name contradicts Islamic principles or values it should be changed to a better meaning name. For example Prophet Muhammad (saw) advised one of the companions, whose name was ''Harb'' which means war in English, to change his name to a better meaning name. Thank you for the question. May Allah guide all of us on right path.
Reference:
IslamiCity

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Posted By: Alwardah
Date Posted: 24 January 2006 at 11:37am

Hi Angela

The above post explains the position of reverts � male or female.

Muslim women (born or reverts) do not take their husband's names after marriage. Because the laws in some countries insist on the wife taking the husband's name, Muslimah in these countries will take their husband's surname, respecting the laws of their country. From an Islamic point of view a women retains her maid name from birth to death. She is always known as �..daughter of �..

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)

Date Posted: 24 January 2006 at 1:39pm

I considered keeping my maiden name when I got married.  In the United States you have a choice not to change your name.  But, I went with tradition and took my husband's name as a symbol of joining his family. 

I was just curious because I've seen so many reverts that started out as John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt and ended up Abdullah Kareem Al Nasr or something like that. 

My name is Angela, which means depending on your source, Angelic Messanger, Angel or Heavenly Messanger.  I'm told its not a name I could keep if I were to revert. 

I know my sister wouldn't be able to keep her name which is Cristy (variant of Christy but derived from Christian)

But I couldn't see where names like Matthew, John, Joseph or even ethnic names like Olaf or Bjorn couldn't be kept.  Especially last names which bring with them your ancestry.

Thank you Peacemaker for letting me know they can be kept as long as they are not against Islam.  (I guess Candy wouldn't be allowed )

Date Posted: 24 January 2006 at 11:38pm

Hi Angela

I don't know why u feel Angela nor Candy will not be accepted.

In Arabic Malaeekah is the female for angel and this name is used very commonly.

I don't see any problem with candy also, candy means sweets or chocolates right.

Mainly I think reverts just feel that they should change their names-a personal choice to make a complete change from their past life to their present one.

-------------
�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)

Date Posted: 25 January 2006 at 12:49am

Hi Angela

Sori for the incorrect information above.

Malaeekah is used, but not very commonly � I am told that it is a neutral form not masculine or feminine.

Malikah meaning queen is commonly used.

Sori about this mix-up � still struggling with Arabic

-------------

Date Posted: 25 January 2006 at 7:27am

Actually, the reason I thought Angela would not be accepted was that, certain names aren't allowed.  Such as names of angels and such....hmm, there was a list of baby names I found on another site that I read, with it was this article.

Praise be to Allah,

It is forbidden to use any name that describes or belongs to only Allah, such as al-Khaaliq (the creator) and al-Quddoos (the most holy), or names which do not befit any except Allah.  Such as Malik al-Mulook (king of kings).  This is the consensus of the fuqaha.

Ibn al-Quyyim said that names which belong only to Allah include:  al-Ahad (the one), al-Samad (the eternal), al-Khaaliq (the creator), al-Razzaaq (the provider), al-jabbaar (the compeller), al-Mutakabbir (the majestic), al-Awwal (the first), al-Aakhir (the last), al-Baatin (the hidden), and Allaam al-Ghuyoob (the knower of the unseen).

The evidence that it is forbidden to call anyone by a name which belongs to Allah and Allah only, may be seen for example in the hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim from abu-Harayrah (May Allah be pleased with him); in the version narrated by al-Bukaari, he said "The messanger of Allah (P.B.U.H) said:'The most despised name with Allah on the day of resurection will be a man called Malik al-Mulook,'"  According to Muslim, he said, "The man most deserving of Allah's anger and most evil on the day of resurrection will be a man who was called Malik al-Amlaak.  There is no King but Allah."

As regards using names that may be used of  Allah or of others, it is permissible to use the following names: Ali (high), Rasheed (guide) and Badee' (innovator or originator)

Ibn 'Aabideen said: "It seeds to be the case that they are permitted, even if the definite article 'al' is used."  Al-Hasafi said: "What (These names) mean concerning us (humans) is different from their meanings concerning Allah, may he be exhalted."

It is forbidden to use any name which befit no one except the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H).  Such as Sayyid Walad Adam ( master of the sons of Adam), Sayyid al-nass (master of mankind), Sayyid al-Kull (master of all).  Only because these names, as the Hanbalis said, befit no one except him.

It is forbidden to use any name which implies enslavement to anything other than Allah (S.W.T).  Such as 'Abd al-'Uzza (slave of al-'uzza-pagan goddess), Abd al-Ka'bah (slave of the Ka'bah), 'Abd al-Daar ( slave of the house), 'Abd 'Ali (slave of Ali), 'Abd al-husayn (slave of husayn) ect.

It is forbidden to use names of Idols instead of Allah.

It is forbidden to use the names of devils (shayaateen), such as Khanzab, al-A'war and al-Ajda'.  It was reported that the sunnah is to change names such as these.

It is MAKROOH (hated or disliked) to use names that have bad or distasteful meanings, or which sound odd, which would cause others to mock the person or would cause him embarrassment, in addition to being contrary to the guidence of the Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H), who taught us to choose good names.

It is makrooh to use names whose meanings are to soft and to provocative or sexy.  This is a wide spread problem when it comes to naming girls.

It is makrooh to deliberately name someone after promiscuous actors and singers who star in worthless entertainment shows.

It is makrooh to use names that convey any sense of sin and disobedience to Allah.

It is makrooh to use foreign names that belong only to the Kuffar.

It is makrooh to use names of Pharaohs or other tyrants.

it is makrooh to use names that have any undesirable meaning.

It is makrooh to use names after animals that are known for their bad qulities.

It is makrooh to use any name which is composed of any word added to such words as al-Deen or Islam.  only because it gives an incorrect impression which should not be given.

Names of this sort may be forbidden for 2 reasons.  In a name such as Shihaab al-Deen, for example, the word Shihaab means a flame, which as we all know comes from fire.  Then this is added to the word al-Deen (Deen means the religion), which is in appropriate.  This can lead to the use of strange names, as in Indonesia, where people use names such as Dhahab al-Deen (gold of the religion) and Maas al-Deen ( diamond of the religion)!

It is mahkrooh to use names that are composes of 2 parts, and this includes names which include Allah (swt), with the exception of the name Abd-Allah (slave of Allah).  Which is one of the most beloved names to Allah.  Name which include the word Al-rasool (the messanger) are also mahkrooh.

Some scholars regarded using the names of angels (peace be upon them) as mahkrooh.  Giving angels' names to women is clearly haraam, since it implies imitation of the mushrikeen, who thought that the angels were the daughters of Allah (swt).  Exhalted be he above what they say!

Some of the scholars thought that it was mahkrooh to give people the names of Soorahs of the Qur'an such as Ta-ha, Yaa-seen, Ha-Meem.  (The popular notion that Ya-Seen and Ta-ha are names of the Prophet ((P.B.U.H)) is not correct).

Posted By: Shams Zaman
Date Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:14am

There would be lot of thoughts which you will read. But there is no hadith which I have read specifically to change the name except when it has some bad meaning or in contradiction to Allah or Prophet's instructions.

Prophet did not changed the name of Hazrat Salaman Farsi who came from persia and "Farsi" was name only used by pagans of Persia and not by Arabs, neither he changed the name of Hazrat Bilal e Habshi who came from Ethopeia and Habshi was the name used by Christians of Ethopeia.

However Prophet did clearly forbid to keep names  that describes or belongs to only Allah, such as al-Khaaliq (the creator) and al-Quddoos (the most holy), or names which do not befit any except Allah.  Such as Malik al-Mulook (king of kings). 

This is not the view of Fuqha there are specific Hadiths forbidding to keep such names. However we are permitted to add word "ABD" before the name of Allah meaning servent. Like ABD-UR-REHMAN, ABDU-ALLAH, etc.

Shams Zaman  

-------------
[email protected]

Date Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:37am

Thanks you so much Shams, Alwardah. 

I love to find the truth behind what practices are Islam and what are cultural. 

The name thing always baffled me.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

Hi Angela

I don't know why u feel Angela nor Candy will not be accepted.

In Arabic Malaeekah is the female for angel and this name is used very commonly.

I don't see any problem with candy also, candy means sweets or chocolates right.

Mainly I think reverts just feel that they should change their names-a personal choice to make a complete change from their past life to their present one.

In turkey is alot name with Melek, that means Angel...

Maybe the meaning of the name is important..Some1 who has name they is only from a holly person or like this,  in another Religion besides Islam. There is names like cristian (for male) or cristine (for female).They could be changed..

Allahu Aleem...

Date Posted: 01 February 2006 at 9:25am
Thank you Mushen.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 01 February 2006 at 3:44pm

Originally posted by Angela Angela wrote:

Thank you Mushen.

...your welcome...

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 02 February 2006 at 8:25am

I was wondering why even cristy or christine or similar name originating from "Christ" be objectionable where it means "the Massaiah" in arabic or "the liberator or savior" in english. This was the title for a human being (as Muslims believe) mentioned in Quran, therefore can be acquired by others as well without much reservations among Muslims, at least.

Now, as far as keeping names that are specifically attributed to Allah, such as Khaliq, Wahid, Ahad etc is concerned, usually people add another qualifier name e.g. Abdul (meaning slave of) with it to depict the right association as a humble human being. Therefore, the complete name becomes Abdul Khaliq (slave of creator) or Abdul Wahid (slave of the One), etc. Hence this name "Abdul Wahid" is not two names but a single name and none of the two can be seperated and taken as literally the first, middle, or last name. However, in practice, people forget about the "first half" of the name i.e. Abdul and simply call him with the "second half" of the name as a convenience , which ofcourse is not appropriate. I have seen this mal-practise mostly in non-Arabic Muslim countries as some of my Arabic speaking brothers were very particular in calling their children with complete names.

Posted By: CrescentStar67
Date Posted: 02 February 2006 at 2:00pm

Interesting thread,thanks for posting it and the replies..I was wonderin the same things..

My paternal fathers real last names means lion,and since I dont have his last name I was wanting to use the Arabic for Lion.

Is there an Arabic name for Jeremiah?

Posted By: Shams Zaman
Date Posted: 04 February 2006 at 9:32am
I absolutely agree with Brother Ahmed Joyia!

-------------
[email protected]

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 05 February 2006 at 10:53am

Salam ,

I agree with both brothers AhmadJoyia and shams Zaman.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net