IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Western Values and Muslim Community  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Values and Muslim Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 6:24am

Hayfa: In Malaysia, people speak 4 languages : Malay, Tamil, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese etc) and ofcourse English . . .

The average person understands Malay and English (or Chinese & English etc) Yet, thier teachers are not neccassarily bilingual. The local education dominantly in Malay, and teaches often only speak Malay - and have weak english (Govt Schools system, which is quite popular) English is taught as a 2nd language. The private school system is different though ofcourse.

Now the govt wants to change the education system into English . . . and there is an uproar (Surprisingly, Pakistan - though less developed, has both English and an Urdu board - I find that the education system in Pak is not bad at all - when I compare - with a few exceptions)

Anyway. . . Children here "pick" up the language from the environment, and many will speak broken Tamil, Chinese as well as Malay . .  . The new generation however, is more fluent in English, and disappointingly are forgetting thier own language, the Chinese here like to call themselves 'Bananas' i.e. Yellow on the outside and White on the inside Tongue 

On a side note, I have a Sri Lankan friend, who speaks 7 languages (6 actually, he likes to cheat and count Hindi as a 7th language when its actually Urdu Tongue ) - and he just "picked" it up as he grew up in a multiethnic environment (Sri Lanka).

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:29pm
All Christian schools teach abstinence.  For a time it was ok to teach abstinence in public schools, then the "left" complain because they say it brings religious values into school!?!

My kids speak a bit of Spanish and are well versed in Ebonics.  I studied German and Latin in High School. 

I have noticed the young Chinese have perfect English pronunciation- no missed letter sounds. 
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2009 at 3:46pm
"and are well versed in Ebonics." 

So they're bilingual (English/Ebonics)?  Are they able to speak perfect English?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic