URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14216
Printed Date: 15 May 2024 at 12:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Western Values and Muslim Community
Posted By: Iftikhar
Subject: Western Values and Muslim Community
Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 1:53pm
Salaam

The western "values" suggest equality and freedom for all, that means society must allow religious freedom. The Christians and Jews have Church/ Jewish schools as well as kosher meat, yet when Muslims simply ask for the very same treatment,the Islamphobic secular right wing jump up and down screaming that somehow western values have been attacked.

The Jews throught out the western world have their own religious courts. Christians have been enjoying the right to be married in Church. Muslims should have the same right to get married in Masajid as well as they need Sharia Courts, dealing in marriage, civil matters and divorce.

It is easy to say" Go back to where you came from",but do not forget that British Muslims are actually born and educated here. They are in the unenviable position of trying to combine two diffent worlds. That is no easy.

Multiculturalism is not about separation, ghettoisation or balkanisation. It is, instead, a recognition of both diversity and the need for common ground, mutual respect,and cultural engagement.

Muslims all over the world never opposed English as a language what they did was opposition of the Western culture and their system of education. In Pakistan, the medium of instruction is Urdu and English and the official language is both English and Urdu. Pakistan is going to send English teachers to Korea for the teaching of English language.

Muslim parents would like their children to be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity.

Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

I am concerned with the education of the Muslim children. It is nothing to do with integration or segregation. Those state as well as Church schools where Muslim children are in majority, in my opinion, may be designated as Muslim community schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.  
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

Replies:
Posted By: ops155
Date Posted: 18 February 2009 at 3:47pm
I can agree with most of what you said up until this part:

"Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. "

That is the problem. Our STATE schools do not teach religion and just like with Christians or Jews you have to go to a PRIVATE school if you want it talored to your religion. This is not the first thread about taxpayer dollars going to religous schools yet everytime I point this out everyone ignores it. Why keep asking if you already have the answer?

So are you saying our teachers should have to speak every language in the world so if a couple students can't speak english they can still be taught? It is not everyone else's problem your child can't speak the language the school uses. Can every teacher in Arab countries speak Chineese, Spanish, American India, etc....?

Posted By: believer
Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:19pm
ops- have you seen some of the signs at Lowes, English and Spanish ?  LOL!  The signs would have to be huge to include everyone.

I am from the school of thought that total immersion in a language is the best and quickest way to learn.  Multiculturalism doesn't mean that you don't have to assimilate into the culture of the land.  Otherwise why immigrate?

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Date Posted: 20 February 2009 at 2:27pm

Many believe the way Muslims kill their animals for food is unkind. 

Where I have seen the outrage is when the whole menu is changed and the Christians don't have a choice.

-------------
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Posted By: Chrysalis
Date Posted: 21 February 2009 at 5:34am
Wha??????

What exactly are you saying? and how is it even relevant? and when do they change menus? As for Christians not having a choice, phsuit. I dont think you people follow the Biblical/Mosaic dietary limitations anymore, and will eat virtually anything . . . so why complain? If Jews complain, I can understand - because they atleast do follow thier dietary laws.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 1:43pm
What do you mean what do I mean?  LOL!!

simple - People do not want to eat an animal killed in a way that they see as inhumane.

There are many Christians that do not eat pork.  I am a vegetarian!

-------------
John 3

Posted By: Hayfa
Date Posted: 23 February 2009 at 2:15pm
Do people not think we need to separate the topic as to the British system and the US system.. i think they are different..

Basically you have different issues in the same post
religion
culture
language
they are intertwined and yet also are separate.

I am from the school of thought that total immersion in a language is the best and quickest way to learn.

Having received my certificate in teaching English as a 2nd language i would say it completely depends upon many factors as to what is the 'best' way. This includes: level of literacy in native language, age, level of education already. It is easy to think this way if one views language strictly as separate from culture. And that is just not so.  And studies do not show that total immersion is the best way to go.. if you are looking at long-term educational options for the majority of people.  One does NOT learn a 2nd  language as they do the first.

Also, people is the US are the least likely to speak more than one language in the world. People in Africa and Asia often speak anywhere from 3-5 languages. And if you do not learn a language by age 12 you will never speak it as a native speaker would. Plus if your brain is active in certain parts if you speak more than one language.

You would think we would want people to be more literate, and speak more languages.. but Americans are behind in this regard.

-------------
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Date Posted: 24 February 2009 at 7:26am

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

What do you mean what do I mean?  LOL!!

simple - People do not want to eat an animal killed in a way that they see as inhumane.

[Quote]Many believe the way Muslims kill their animals for food is unkind. 

Where I have seen the outrage is when the whole menu is changed and the Christians don't have a choice.

I see. So are you a vegetarian because Christianity asks you to be one? Its a personal choice of yours.

Pray tell how particular Christians are about thier menus. . . and why they need to be outraged on menu changes? Like I mentioned before, Unlike Jews and Christians - they will virtually eat anything, no matter how it is killed. The only exception I can think of is the handful that do not eat pork. I have never heard of 'Christian Dietary Laws' or Christian menus, unlike the Muslim/Jewish ones like Kosher, Halal. If Christians like you are vegans/vegetarians etc, than they are because of personal choice, not religous laws.

Did you know that a majority of Christians are meat-eaters?

Do you think that the way animals are killed in USA/UK other nonmuslim countries is humane? I reccommend you read a book or watch a documentary that describes the plight of animals in American slaughterhouses. One such book I can reccommend on the spot is Fast Food Nation.

What ettiquette/steps/commands does the bible give about ethical/humane killing of animals, would you mind sharing? If it does not - then really, why would you want to axe your own foot and say that the way Muslims slaughter animals is inhumane? Islam gives great detail about how to slaughter an animal ethically/humanely with the least pain possible.

In Islam: Animals can be slaughtered only after a certain age. Female animals/Pregnant/Babies/lactating ones are to be avoided. They are supposed to be fed/watered - even if they are to be slaughtered eventually (unlike American slaughterhouses)

Branding animals is not allowed in Islam - because it gives the animal pain. Animals cannot be slaughtered in front of each other, so they are not distressed. It is sunnah to sharpen the knife before slaughter, so the animal feels the least pain dies quickly. Animals are not killed by electric shock or bludgeoning - methods which sometimes leave the animals 'half-dead' and in pain.

It is forbidden to torture animals before eating them (Bull Fighting etc). When slaughtering, the animal's jugular vien is cut, the animal dies of blood loss to brain, which is painless (or relatively painless) - unlike painful methods of blow-to-head, wringing neck, chopping off head, electrocution etc.

-------------
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."

Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:26am

Genesis 1
29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground�everything that has the breath of life in it�I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

It is not forced on Christians as food laws are in other religions, it is a free choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_vegetarianism

http://www.jesusveg.com/index2.html - http://www.jesusveg.com/index2.html

http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/mission.htm - http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/mission.htm

-------------
John 3

Posted By: seekshidayath
Date Posted: 26 February 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

Just going off topic

Why are you a vegetarian ? Does Bible command so ? WHat i know is bible says, whatever you eat does n't matter. What matters is that in our heart. I guess its from Mark. InshAllah, shall look into the verses and share here

-------------
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."

Posted By: Nausheen
Date Posted: 02 March 2009 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

Salaam

The western "values" suggest equality and freedom for all, that means society must allow religious freedom. The Christians and Jews have Church/ Jewish schools as well as kosher meat, yet when Muslims simply ask for the very same treatment,the Islamphobic secular right wing jump up and down screaming that somehow western values have been attacked.

The Jews throught out the western world have their own religious courts. Christians have been enjoying the right to be married in Church. Muslims should have the same right to get married in Masajid as well as they need Sharia Courts, dealing in marriage, civil matters and divorce.

It is easy to say" Go back to where you came from",but do not forget that British Muslims are actually born and educated here. They are in the unenviable position of trying to combine two diffent worlds. That is no easy.

Multiculturalism is not about separation, ghettoisation or balkanisation. It is, instead, a recognition of both diversity and the need for common ground, mutual respect,and cultural engagement.

Muslims all over the world never opposed English as a language what they did was opposition of the Western culture and their system of education. In Pakistan, the medium of instruction is Urdu and English and the official language is both English and Urdu. Pakistan is going to send English teachers to Korea for the teaching of English language.

Muslim parents would like their children to be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity.

Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

I am concerned with the education of the Muslim children. It is nothing to do with integration or segregation. Those state as well as Church schools where Muslim children are in majority, in my opinion, may be designated as Muslim community schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.  
Iftikhar Ahmad

This post reflects how fussy Muslims can be as a community.  What they are unable to do as a Muslim individual, as a Muslim family or as a Muslim community they demand the government to do for them.

Just a bit off topic, I have a ten year old daughter who is fluent in English, Urdu and Japanese. She has been taught English by English speaking teachers, and Japanese by native Japanese teachers - and none of these teachers knew any other language. Urdu is what we speak at home.

Back to the topic ...

This was one good point. Something I would  want to draw attention of others on a different string ... perhaps later.

"Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. "

At one point you say the Muslims in Britain are born there, so I don't understand how they have a problem with English as a medium of instruction in schools.   Are these children totally isolated from the world around them? If children are having a hard time learning English in Britain, I wonder how much Muslims are contributing to the society!! They sound like a burden on the place.  If they cannot learn the language of the place, what else can they do to improve it!

If parents cannot teach Urdu and Arabic at home, it is also terrible. I know Arabic and Urdu, but I never learned any of it in any school or University. Now I teach my kids ... and I don't need any school to do this for me - never thought it was such a big deal.
Isn't there anyone in the British Muslim community who can conduct classes in urdu and arabic privately? And what is wrong in it if your culture is dear to you?

"Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school. "

This is a very raciest comment. Are Muslim children not allowed in other schools? If so, why do you think non-Muslim children or teachers should be kept out of Muslim schools?
Why are muslims so scared of others diluting their culture? Is it because their love and adherence to their culture is not strong enough?  If so, something should be done within first, before changing the world around them.

Many times we need to be somebody, rather than say something or do something to bring a change.

-------------
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]

Posted By: semar
Date Posted: 02 March 2009 at 11:37pm
Salam/Peace,

Agree Nausheen, children can learn multiple launguages easily. Muslim children in US mostly ahead, because majority of muslim parent more aware to their children education compare to other minority group. They learn arabic, urdu or other laguages at weekend school or at home. Their english as perfect as white children or black children that their parent are english native.
In my kids school (small islamic school) there are 10 teachers, 3 teachers are non muslim.

-------------
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"

Posted By: candid_new
Date Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:57pm
Quote This post reflects how fussy Muslims can be as a community. What they are unable to do as a Muslim individual, as a Muslim family or as a Muslim community they demand the government to do for them.

They pay the taxes, too, they should have a say over how THEIR money is spent.
Quote Why are muslims so scared of others diluting their culture? Is it because their love and adherence to their culture is not strong enough? If so, something should be done within first, before changing the world around them.

I don't agree. Many people are selfish and lack foresight that it is impossible for them to correctly judge different cultures. For example, women in Europe were long back given freedom to work outside. For their own materialistic interests they chose to concentrate on their careers and have fewer children, although they had the means to support and take care of more children. Now, Europe abruptly finds itself with an overaging population with fewer and fewer young people to sustain the economy and pay the taxes to cover the pension of an aging population. The very survival of certain European nations is threatened.

What can be wrong in the native cultures of the children of immigrants that they take to alcohol and promiscuity when they grow up in Western countries, thereby harming their society and lives? Young people do so simply because they don't want to be left out. It's because of their desire to belong that they want to conform to decadent and immoral practices of Western "culture". It has nothing to do with the flaws of their own native culture (which I admit are not few).

Date Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:39am
i think it is fine to not want your culture / Islam to be lost. Frankly 'culture' will be. If you live there it WILL influence your kids.. unless you isolate like the Hasidic Jewish communities and such.

If there is a Muslim school, like Catholic schools, have non Muslim students/ teamuchers who agree to the rules.. great. It is like Dawah.. I do not see why a nonMuslim cannot teach English.

its all a balancing act..

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 8:15am

I dont even see a problem with Non-Muslim teachers teaching Arabic or anyother subject . . . . the only subject that I feel is exclusive to Muslim teachers and should remain so, would be related to Islamic Studies.

Remember the Battle of Badr? (i think thats the one, pl correct) The ransom of non-muslim POWs back then, was to teach muslim children. They could go free after teaching muslim children.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 11:43am

Salaam

The demand for Muslim schools is not just a question of equality, but spring from a belief among many minority parents that the education system does not adequately address their cultural needs. Failing to meet the need could result in fuelling resentment among a group who already feel excluded - concern over food and dress and the treatment of Empire in the curriculum are compounded by the relatively low achievement of children of Pakistan and Bangladeshi orgin. Setting up Muslim schools is a defensive response.

We are living in a plethora of challenges ranging from gang and gun crime to drug and alcohal, relationships and teenage pregnancies to questions of being apparently under pressure of being drawn into violent extremism. These challanges lay a great burden upon Muslim community. Muslim community is duty bound to help and guide future generation.

Date Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:30pm
ahh but the question is.. is it Islam or their culture?

you can build all the schools you want,but the time comes each day they leave the schools and face the world.  The question i have.. unless you also seek to influence nonMuslims and help make a better society.. the issues will be there.

Immigrants face many challenges.. and often they do not understand the culture well enough to guide their kids.. and the generation separates..
its like seeing kids from Latin American countries send their kids to Catholic school the kids still intergrate.

i could even argue that the tendency to isolate is a problem and should be changed.

I do not know the British system.. but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic  critical thinking skills.

I bet you alot of money things have alot to do with economics.. here in the states the PAksitan community is one of the most well-off in the country. And adaption is quite easy. They don't like in high crime areas etc. So hence no gangs.. teenage aexd maybe.. but the other stuff no. Plus as they have intergrated themselves into society they participate on improving the whole community of people.  And thus build the bridges..

Issues like violence, gangs etc.. affect lower income neighborhoods. Parents do  not have the skill set to help thier kids find affective ways of navigating. We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

I have no issue with different types of schools.  But we must be clear do you need pakistani schools or Muslim schools? I think maybe both.. but we should be clear that they are not synonymous with each other.

peace

-------------

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 2:02am
Quote In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic critical thinking skills.

Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.

Quote but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture.

Quote We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

Teens haven't had much experience in life and they think short term; most, if not all of them are simply incapable to "accept the good and reject the non so good".
In my opinion, Muslims should not immigrate to the West unless it's a necessity. I would rather suggest them to remain loyal to their country, where they were born, brought up and received the education that enabled them to entertain the prosperous people overseas, and serve their countrymen.

Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:12am
Salaam

Britain has a broken society. The teenage pregnancies and the sheer madness of sex education teaches nothing about morality. A fifteen years girl has a child from a thirteen year old boy. They and their parent are very proud of thie child anf grand child. Now two more boys claimed that they are the fathers of the child. DNA test will prove the child's paternity. This means that the girl had multiple sexual relations. Britain's rate of teenage pregnancy is the highest in western Europe. This is a clear indication of broken society. It is an eye opening for the Muslim community who send their children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

Sex education and contraception in schools make children as quasi adults, capable of making their own life choices. Children are being taught that sexually transmitted diseases could be easily treated and there is no acknowledgement of the emotional harm of premature sexual activity. The Government guidance has glamerised teenage fatherhood and underage sex. The truth is that more sex education and contraception are provided to children and teenagers, the more they fall pregant. Studies have shown that access to contraceptions and sex education, sexual activity and conception and prgnancy rates go up.

Bilingual Muslim Children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods.

There are hundreds of state as well as Church schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.
Iftikhar Ahmad

Posted By: hat2010
Date Posted: 10 March 2009 at 1:45pm
Peace Iftikhar,

The report of Britain's teen pregnancy rate is more nuanced than the way you are presenting it. In fact, the riskiest country for sex is Niger, which is 90 percent Muslim.

Quote Iftikhar said"The truth is that more sex education and contraception are provided to children and teenagers, the more they fall pregant. Studies have shown that access to contraceptions and sex education, sexual activity and conception and prgnancy rates go up."

"A league table of teenage births in rich nations, a report compiled by Unicef's Innocenti research centre in Florence, Italy, says the United Kingdom's rate is alarmingly high and blames the British culture of secrecy and embarrassment over sex...

The low birth rates in countries such as the Netherlands reflect their more open attitude towards sex and contraception. The "double Dutch" method of using the oral contraceptive pill and condoms may partly explain why Holland has a low rate of sexually transmitted infections that is continuing to fall."

The whole article here:

http://student.bmj.com/issues/02/07/news/223.php

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 1:26am
Iftikhar,

as you mentioned there are Christian schools ..and you mention the high rate of sex activity as an issue.. do these students at Christians school refrain from sex more than the average population. I agree that things are a mess.. schools may help.. but i would argue it is but one step

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture. .

It is drenched in its own mess.  I agree it is different... but having just come from there.. it is very prolematic what i saw.

Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.

Well the people I know and met are not at all illiterate. but they make concerted effort to retain their 'culture' because they want to be 'proud' of Pakistani culture. And continue on the same mindless vain. And since i did not talk to many illiterate people.. i cannot say. But they are excused. And keep in mind is the well to do that keep this illiteracy in place and benefit from the peoples' ignorance.   

It is a greater 'darkness' what is happening than what is happening in the west for it is Muslim oppressing Muslim.

I do agree.. most Muslims should not emigrate to the west unless they are prepared to adjust. 

But you know,alhumdillah, some of the most active and forward, go-getting people are the young Muslims in America.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture. .
It is drenched in its own mess.� I agree it is different... but having just come from there.. it is very prolematic what i saw.

Yes, but the solution is not replacing their culture with Western culture. The solution has to be, sort of, indigenous for it to be acceptable in large scale. Their culture needs to be polished instead of being replaced.
Quote Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.
Well the people I know and met are not at all illiterate. but they make concerted effort to retain their 'culture' because they want to be 'proud' of Pakistani culture.

I was referring to the impact education has on social environment. Equally educated people from different social environments will behave differently. In many ways, people are unconsciously influenced by how the people around them act. They seek recognition and friendship from those around them. Hence, behavior of a person is greatly affected by the expectations of people he lives with.
Quote And continue on the same mindless vain. And since i did not talk to many illiterate people.. i cannot say. But they are excused. And keep in mind is the well to do that keep this illiteracy in place and benefit from the peoples' ignorance.

Yes, indeed. Those Western-educated jackass elites are on their way out of power and will soon be toppled.
Quote It is a greater 'darkness' what is happening than what is happening in the west for it is Muslim oppressing Muslim.

I admit there is 'darkness' because of ignorance and lack of accountability but it's silly to blame the entire community for the mischiefs of the few. Muslims might not be as prosperous as the West, but most of them are honest and hard working.
Quote I do agree.. most Muslims should not emigrate to the west unless they are prepared to adjust.

I said Muslims must not immigrate unless it's a necessity. If they intend to immigrate to the West to escape poverty (that is also partly caused by the mess West has created in the Middle-East and Africa) and can preserve their culture there, I would support them if they intend to take advantage of opportunities available to them in the West.
Quote But you know,alhumdillah, some of the most active and forward, go-getting people are the young Muslims in America.

Yes, Irshad Manji is the perfect example. It has become an industry in the West to bash Islam. More you bash Islam, more upwardly mobile you become. Even sluts are better; they only sell their bodies, not their souls.

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

Britain's rate of teenage pregnancy is the highest in western Europe. This is a clear indication of broken society. It is an eye opening for the Muslim community who send their children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

with all due respect. I dont think nonmuslim teachers teach kids to have extramarital sex. By all means support Islamic schools, and market them - but dont use silly examples like that. We muslims need to grow out of the blame-the-nonmuslim mentality. nonmuslim teachers deserve the same respect as muslim teachers.

If a muslim parent has a choice b/w a qualified nonmuslim teacher vs a non-qualified muslim teacher - they would be st**id to choose the nonqualified teacher simply because he/she is a muslim. Good muslims do not discriminate on basis of religion - on a daily basis.

Sex education and contraception in schools make children as quasi adults, capable of making their own life choices.  [Quote]

I dont live in the west - but even I know that parents have an option of having thier kids excused from classes that go against thier belief system. I know for a fact that muslim/jewish kids are often excused from sex education classes. u just need to speak up. that doesnt automatically make state schools bad.

[Quote]
Bilingual Muslim Children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods.

Where are the bilingual parents during this developmental stage? The teacher is not a replacement for a parent. That is just bieng picky and fussy. . . and making a big deal out of non-issues. When u focus too much on non-issues and nitpick - u lose ur credibility as a community - and lose sight of the bigger picture. Save the cribbing for when an actual issue props up  - so atleast we will be taken seriously. Its amazing how the muslim community will band together for a small issue like sniffer dogs at airports or homes - but will never unify to create a Halal menu or globally accepeted Halal board . . .

-------------

Date Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:28pm
Chrsalis: how is it in Malaysia?  a well-educated society, do many peoplespeak several languages? And where do they learn them

-------------

Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 6:24am

Hayfa: In Malaysia, people speak 4 languages : Malay, Tamil, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese etc) and ofcourse English . . .

The average person understands Malay and English (or Chinese & English etc) Yet, thier teachers are not neccassarily bilingual. The local education dominantly in Malay, and teaches often only speak Malay - and have weak english (Govt Schools system, which is quite popular) English is taught as a 2nd language. The private school system is different though ofcourse.

Now the govt wants to change the education system into English . . . and there is an uproar (Surprisingly, Pakistan - though less developed, has both English and an Urdu board - I find that the education system in Pak is not bad at all - when I compare - with a few exceptions)

Anyway. . . Children here "pick" up the language from the environment, and many will speak broken Tamil, Chinese as well as Malay . .  . The new generation however, is more fluent in English, and disappointingly are forgetting thier own language, the Chinese here like to call themselves 'Bananas' i.e. Yellow on the outside and White on the inside Tongue 

On a side note, I have a Sri Lankan friend, who speaks 7 languages (6 actually, he likes to cheat and count Hindi as a 7th language when its actually Urdu Tongue ) - and he just "picked" it up as he grew up in a multiethnic environment (Sri Lanka).

-------------

Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 2:29pm
All Christian schools teach abstinence.  For a time it was ok to teach abstinence in public schools, then the "left" complain because they say it brings religious values into school!?!

My kids speak a bit of Spanish and are well versed in Ebonics.  I studied German and Latin in High School. 

I have noticed the young Chinese have perfect English pronunciation- no missed letter sounds. 

-------------
John 3

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 12 March 2009 at 3:46pm
"and are well versed in Ebonics." 

So they're bilingual (English/Ebonics)?  Are they able to speak perfect English?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net