IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islaam for a Buddhist  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islaam for a Buddhist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

My dear bro Zenman, as I read your ideas about science and Buddhaism viz a viz the intellectual elite, I hope you must have a solid foundation of your beliefs. So in that respect can you guide me to the origins of these buddhist beliefs that you talked about? I mean, do you find them in Tripitika or a book that contains these ideas? Do they have origin from Gotama Buddha or from any other Buddha?

They are most clearly seen in the Avatasmsaka Sutra also in the Abhidharma Pitaka.Of course the Doctrine of Inter dependent origination is common to all schools of Buddhism. As for my comments on "converts" this appears to be the case that they are much more educated than the average person,there was study done about five yeas ago but I can no longer find the website. I am not saying that you need to be more intelligent be a Buddhist,it just seems to attract people from that intellectual milieu, perhaps more Chic than Conviction.

Secondly, if you have read about Islam through the periscope of Old Testament or New Testament, then obviously you would find a reflection of a tribal God, but its really not that true at all. Just look at the 99 attributes of God (infinite in all of them) through which we can apprehend His divinity as being limited physical being. I think this is a perfect way of realising an infinite God yet through the human perception of a limited being. 

As I mentioned I was disabused of that prejudice by a Moslem scholar,but yes it does come from the Old and New Testaments.As you know in Hebrew you can see what appears to be the evolution of the Hebrews view of God from El Shaddai(God of the Mountain) Elohim,(I believe that is plural)Adonai and finally Yahweh,this lends credence to the notion of a tribal God if you look no further.

AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 11:14am

My dear bro Zenman, as I read your ideas about science and Buddhaism viz a viz the intellectual elite, I hope you must have a solid foundation of your beliefs. So in that respect can you guide me to the origins of these buddhist beliefs that you talked about? I mean, do you find them in Tripitika or a book that contains these ideas? Do they have origin from Gotama Buddha or from any other Buddha?

Secondly, if you have read about Islam through the periscope of Old Testament or New Testament, then obviously you would find a reflection of a tribal God, but its really not that true at all. Just look at the 99 attributes of God (infinite in all of them) through which we can apprehend His divinity as being limited physical being. I think this is a perfect way of realising an infinite God yet through the human perception of a limited being. 

zenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:07am
Yes Buddhism is  complicated philosophicaly it is not so much in practice. Anyway enough already i am not here to overly discuss buddhism.I belive it was Alfred Gulliame that was 30 years ago and we did have an Arabic speaking Professor who corrected or commented upon the entire text verse by verse correcting as we went. At the time there were not a lot of translations available. yes the Shri lankan monks are heretical in what they are doing,as I said when before when you have hundreds of millions of members of a religion you cna find soem that do that. By the way like Islam there are two branches of Buddhism,I am not of the tradition of Shri Lanka. Why would a Muslim kill a bunch of children getting candy? because he is a heretic  I would assume who has a grossly distorted view of Islam,which protects the innocent.Since we are not evangelical we really do not care if others follow our path or not,most Zen "converts" are from the intellectual elite. This is an Islamic forum so i do nto wish to belabor thisihere just as I said a point of elucidation.

Edited by zenman
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 4:04am

Hello Zenman

Thankyou for enlightening us on Buddhism. Varshaken ofcourse started this thread to learn about Islam and he wasn't interested in discussing Buddhism as he stated elsewhere. From your post it seems that Buddhism is very abstract and hard to understand for ordinary people like myself and I am not surprised that I have a few friends who were Buddhist and have now reverted to Islam. I loved the Zen story of the wooden statue but why were the monks shocked? obviously their understanding of their religion was different. I have heard that in Sri Lanka there are some Buddhist monks who are fasting to death because they don't want the Tsunami money to be given to the Tamils. This has shocked me. How can the religious monks be so cruel, if Buddhism teaches the noble eightfold path?

When you are in trouble do you pray? If so, who do you pray to? And do you receive answers to your prayers? You say you have read the Quran? Can you please let us know who was the translator?

zenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 4:10pm

I am sure it seems that way my friend. I am not here to convince anyone of the validity of a Buddhist worldview, I just thought that you might like to know a little bit about Buddhism. For me the idea of creation and the Creator the stands outside of it doesn't make sense. If all things need a creator that it would follow logically that the creator needs a creator ad infinitum. To stop at any one point and say this is the final creator seems arbitrary. It is like the Big Bang theory they say everything goes back to this infinitely small mass which exploded and then created the universe. Well were that small mass come from? As I explained before we believe it is a finite nature of man's mind that he can only see things in a linear respective this creates that etc. However,we have found out that things are incredibly interconnected the simplist example of this is ecology. The creatures affect the forest the forest affects the creatures the mountains affect the forest and the forest affects the mountains as the forest creates climate, and the climate affects the mountains forest and the creatures.

We would be different from science however in that the mechanical reductionist model of the universe sees consciousness as an accident a phenomenon of matter. We would hold that matter is an expression of Consciousness. The two are inseparable like a drop of water is the ocean, the ocean is the drop of water, the Ocean from only perspective determines what you call it. Another example would be light theory, some say that light is made up of particles that it is partculate. A competing theory says that light comes in waves that is its waveform. All those bees are totally opposing and contradictory positions you can do experiments in which the light will behave as either waveform or particlate. Therefore it is now been posited that the person doing the experiment actually participates in the experiment in regards to its nature and outcome. This seems absurd and yet it is the case. Therefore the creative energy is an inherent part of existence itself not separate from it. For a Buddhist to attain enlightenment is to completely surrender one's self and one's ego to that Consciousness.

In order to do that there were certain guidelines given such as the noble eightfold path, right speech, right livelihood, right action and so on.I was brought up in the background of Northern Ireland's ongoing religious strife. I was a naturaly a spiritual person who felt the presence of the divine in everyday things, which is not to say every day things are the divine. I read all the Scriptures and the old and New Testament that I found it more disquieting than spiritual. I became a seeker fairly early before I even left high school. When I entered college I studied Islam and the Koran  in translation of course but there were scholars available to me you could read it and even do some exegesis from the Arabic. I found it to be more consistent logically then the Judeo-Christian tradition. However to me and I don't mean to be offensive but the idea that a Semitic tribal God rules the universe, and had many of the more immature traits of human beings such as wath, anger,jealousy and so on to be grossly simplistic.. I

am a father not perhaps a perfect one but I do not expect my children to worship me and not have minds of their own. Therefore I found it illogical that the Source of Being for the Universe had many of the crueler and insecure aspects of human nature.

An all-knowing all-powerful God who condemns punishes or rewards mortals when he already knows what they're going to do and preordaines it, seems more than a little bit inconsistent. Since then however I have been given a much more profound level of teaching upon these matters,by a Sufi Master of great wisdom.

Edited by zenman
saalih View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saalih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:01am

ok, do you care telling us who created the universe.

if there is a creation then their must be a creator especially something as big as the universe.

never mind that who created you if there is no god do you came by chance, i guess then 6 b people came by chance, huh?

that's an absurd reasoning.

allah knows best.
zenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:11am

I am not sure what Buddhist school you belong to Vershaken nor why you call your a Samurai? Buddhism is a non-theistic religion, that is to say we do not see a personal God looking over us, punishing us or rewarding us. This does not mean we do not believe there is a higher reality to existence but that it's not just limited to the concept of a Creator God. Now I am familiar with Islamic teachings to some extent having studied them in college from Moslem professors. I have respect for Islam and Muslim people, just as I do of Christians even though I know that both traditions harbor a few heretics and lunatics in their midst. How could any religion with a billion adherents not have a few bizarre people and bizarre belief systems. Vershaken,you do not seem to have a real strong grasp of Buddhism or a least have not exposed it in your posts. For my Muslim friends the reason Buddhas don't believe in creation or a creator is that we hold to the doctrine of interdependent origination. That is to say that no individual or entity exists independent of the whole but is affected by an effects of whole. Individual things we perceive seem to have absolute identities,saparate form each other because of the limits of our perceptual apparatus our senses.The boudaries of reality are created by epistimological limits. Therefore for us, creation is a myth created by the limits of our mind and senses. There are some direct parallels in quantum physics with Buddhist thought, for instance in the idea of an electron being in all places of its orbit but in no particular place at the same time is a kind of transcendental conundrum,which Buddhism would understand. Now I'm not trying to argue these points to convince anyone of that perspective, I'm simply stating them for a point of elucidation. From a Buddhist perspective the rewards and punishments for ignorant distructive action, or positive kindly action, are in direct proportion to the actions. For every action there is a perfectly proportional reaction. Therefore an eternal hell or heaven based on the actions of an individual is inconsistent with Buddhist thought. Buddhism believes in multiple realms of existence and reincarnation, to which a person is born according to the effects of his karma. I have a close friend who is a Druze and his people also believe in reincarnation. As a Zen student I find many parallels in the Sufi tradition and I see kindred spirits there.

I believe in my studies I was told once that the Prophet enjoined people of the book Moslems Christians and Jews to compete only in righteousness. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is a wonderful teaching. On the question of shirk or idolatry. Buddhists look at statues as merely religious art and do not expect them to grant favors hear prayers or do anything more than collect dust. There is a famous story of a Zen sage who took a wooden statue of Buddha down from an altar on a cold night, set it on fire, and warmed his rear end t. He said to the shocked the monks" now it's finally of good use", because if you think Buddha is somewhere outside your mind you are an idolater. Vershaken if you are interested in parallels between Moslem thought and Buddhism please read the works of Indries Shah.

May all beings attain happiness!

Salaafi View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salaafi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:54am

In the Name of Allah, most Merciful, most Benificent

I will try to answer the following questions as I have studied these areas of 'aqeedah and if I am wrong, it is not from Allah, it is from my own nafs or shaitain. And Allah Hears and Sees all.

1. "And does death means sleep, I mean we will be sleeping in our grave until Allaah raises us?"

- The Torment of the Grave is a well known concept, often described in hasan saheeh reports from the ahadith of the sunan of the Prophet Muhammad saw. It is described that everyone is subject to the torment of the grave, including shaheed(martyrs of Islam). You are not asleep but there is a barrier that enables you to see you future(either in Hell or in Paradise, may Allah protect all the believers.) and you will be able to see the world. From this point your pleas for forgiveness are no longer accepted. For the best among mankind in regardsw to faith, their grave is illuminated and expanded for them and they will reside in comfort with glad tidings of Paradise and will feel comfort until the Last Day.

There are many reports in both Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim, most of which have saheeh hasan isnad or better.

It is reported in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: �It has been revealed to me that you people will be put to trial nearly like the trial of Ad-Dajjal (antichrist), in your graves. If it were not for the reason that you would stop burying (your dead) in the graves on listening to the torment in the grave which I am listening to, I would have certainly made you hear that.�

It is reported also in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: �When any one of you completes the last Tashahhud, he should seek refuge with Allah from four (trials): the Torment of Hell, the Torment of grave, the trial of life and death, and the evil of the trial of al-Masikh Ad-Dajjaal (Antichrist).�

2. "And if anyone goes to hell, then does he stay there forever?"

The Prophet said, "When the people of Paradise will enter Paradise and the people of Hell will go to Hell, Allah will order those who have had faith equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed to be taken out from Hell.

So even the worst among the believer will eventually be released from the tormet of the Fire, but it is not known for how long they will reside in it. It is well accepted and known through saheeh reports that the mushrikeen(polytheists, disbelievers, idolators, etc) that they will abide in Hell forever.

�Verily, Allaah has cursed the disbelievers, and has prepared for them a flaming Fire (Hell). Wherein they will abide for ever� [al-Ahzaab 33:64-65]

�Verily, those who disbelieve and did wrong; Allaah will not forgive them, nor will He guide them to any way � Except the way of Hell, to dwell therein forever; and this is ever easy for Allaah� [al-Nisaa� 4:168-169].

�and whosoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, then verily, for him is the fire of Hell, he shall dwell therein forever� [al-Jinn 72:23]

So it is clear that there is no place in Heaven for the disbeleiver.

"036.065. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.

The interpretation of this verse and agreed upon by the scholars of the Salaaf that waht the brother above said is true, in that they will bear witness to the evil things in which they did on the account of the person who controls them. I.E - You eyes for instance bear witness against you if you were to look at pronohraphy..and your hands against you if you stole with them, etc.

I hope this helps some and verily Allah is the All-Knowing and Most Wise. May He be pleased with the believers and grant us all Firdose-ul Jannat(the higest level of Paradise) Ameen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic