Print Page | Close Window

Islaam for a Buddhist

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Religion - Islam
Forum Name: Islam for non-Muslims
Forum Description: Non-Muslims can ask questions about Islam, discussion for the purpose of learning.
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=961
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 9:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Islaam for a Buddhist
Posted By: varshaken
Subject: Islaam for a Buddhist
Date Posted: 22 May 2005 at 12:50am
Hi All!!!!!!!!!!

I am a Buddhist. 

I have known some things from my Moslem friends.  I like the simplicity in Islaam.  I like the comcept of submission to God.

We do not have a comcept of God.  But I feel  that there is someone who take cares of whatever happens in the world.

I have read a little of Koran.  But I am unable to understand anything.  I dont understand why you believe that Muhamad is sent by God and Koran is the word of God or Allaah. 

If anyone is free, please answer my questions.  I am unable to move further in my quest because of these doubts.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Replies:
Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 22 May 2005 at 2:13am

Please take a look at that book,replying to your question is not available in the limits of the board...i believe that this book will insh'Allah give you some general meaning on Islam and Qur'an...

http://www.al-islamforall.org/litre/englitre/Undislam.htm - http://www.al-islamforall.org/litre/englitre/Undislam.htm  

Posted By: Tasneem
Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 11:46pm

Varshaken I have attempted to answer your question within my own limited capacity and I hope it will be of some use to you. The answer is too long and though I have tried to limit it I found it necessary to give some introductory background to why so many prophets were sent. I have put this under two posts, but please feel free to put any questions and I'll try to answer them if not I or someone else could refer you to some useful sources. Happy reading!

Every human being and everything in the universe is created by God. God has sent a great many messengers on earth to proclaim the simple truth that there is only ONE GOD. GOD who was neither begotten nor does HE beget and there is none like HIM. That they should put an end to idol worship and the practice of associating deities with God, they taught them the right way of living in accordance with God�s pleasure, and gave them laws to be followed and enforced in society. Throughout the history of mankind this message was sent by God through many messengers some very prominent ones being Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Yunus, Saleh, Noah, Hud, Lut etc. Each time a messenger came along and preached this truth, some people listened and followed him, but the great majority refuted the truth and some expelled them from the land and some even went to the extent of killing the messengers. Many of these populations who refuted the truth faced the wrath of God and were destroyed through severe calamities.

Jesus (PBUH (peace be upon him)) was born of virgin birth and also brought this truth and also God gave him the power to perform many miracles such as he could speak in his cradle while an infant, he could heal the leper and perform many other great miracles. Eventhough he said � I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet, "And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live�, many people followed him, but gradually they started worshipping him as God himself and fell into error.

Centuries after Jesus (PBUH), when the mind of man was craving for a world religion Mohammed (PBUH) was born in Saudi Arabia. The Arabs during that time were pagans with very narrow outlook and extremely ignorant. They were lawless and were devoid of morals without any ability to distinguish the right from the wrong. Mohammed (PBUH) lost his parents as a child and even his grandfather who brought him up for a few years also died when Mohammed (PBUH) was young. He was deprived of any training and upbringing and tended flocks of sheep and goats along with other bedouins. He was completely illiterate and unschooled. Despite that he was completely different from the people among whom he was born. Even his worst enemies never accused him of telling a lie. He never used abusive or obscene language and had a charming personality and winning manners. He was honest and just in his dealings in trade and commerce and everyone who dealt with him had full confidence in his integrity. They gave him the title of Al-Amin (the Truthful and Trustworthy).

Date Posted: 26 May 2005 at 11:50pm

Amongst a people given to drinking and gambling and steeped in immodest behaviour he was the embodiment of modesty. He helped orphans and widows and was  hospitable to travellers. But he had enough of the darkness and ignorance that surrounded him. He would isolate himself for days and nights in the hills in total seclusion and meditation. He was in search of a light to melt away the encompassing darkness. At the age of forty whilst he was  married to a wealthy widow by name of Khadija, he received his first revelation in the cave where he had sat meditating. The angel Gabriel came to him and announced that God had chosen him as a messenger to all mankind. The first message revealed to Mohammed (PBUH) was:

In the name of God, the Most Compassionate, the All-Merciful. 

Read: in the name of thy Lord Who created, 
Created man from a clot 
Read: and thy Lord is the Most Bounteous, 
Who taught by the pen, 
Taught man what he knew not. (Quran 96:1-5) 

Mohammed (PBUH) was shaken up with this first experience of revelation as it was no ordinary experience. (I would rather leave this part for you to find and read if and when you read the biography of the Prophet Mohammed). He continued to receive revelations for 23 years, on topics ranging from the Oneness of God and His wondrous handiwork, stories of earlier prophets, morality and ethics and life after death.

For forty years he had lived as an Arab amongst Arabs yet he had not uttered a word about God, the Angels, the Revealed Books, life after death or Hell and Heaven. When he began to preach his message the whole of Arabia stood in awe and wonder and was bewitched by his wonderful eloquence and oratory. It was so unique that the whole legion of Arab poets, preachers and orators of the highest calibre failed to match it in beauty of language and splendour of diction when he threw the challenge to his opponents to produce even a single line like the ones he was reciting. It was so impressive and persuasive that his worst enemies were afraid of hearing it, lest it should penetrate deep into their hearts and convert them from their old religion and culture.

These revelations became collectively known as the Qur�an and we Muslims believe it to be the literal word of God.

For a Muslim, a Prophet does not primarily imply someone able to foretell the future although most of Mohammed�s predictions have already been fulfilled in astonishing ways but a man sent by God to call people to repent, have faith, and dedicate their lives to doing good, thereby helping them rediscover the purpose for which they were created. Prophets are not considered to be Divine, and are not prayed to or worshipped though they were men of outstanding character and spirituality who were protected from committing sins, performed miracles, received revelation and communed with God.

The historian Michael H. Hart wrote: �

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
Michael H. Hart, THE 100: A RANKING OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS IN HISTORY, New York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc., 1978, p. 33.

"Philosopher, orator, apostle, legislator, warrior, conqueror of ideas, restorer of rational dogmas, of a cult without images; the founder of twenty terrestrial empires and of one spiritual empire, that is Muhammad. As regards all standards by which human greatness may be measured, we may well ask, is there any man greater than he?" Lamartine, HISTOIRE DE LA TURQUIE, Paris, 1854, Vol. II, pp. 276-277.

May Allah Bless all those people whose writings I have used in answering this question.

Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 8:28pm
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!

Thank you for your reply.

But how can we believe the words of a man when he says that he was sent by God etc.? Though he preached peace, he allowed to kill many people including women. He married many women, though this is not a bad quality, it lacks fidelity. How can we believe such a man?

Thank you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Posted By: MOCKBA
Date Posted: 28 May 2005 at 9:26pm

Originally posted by varshaken varshaken wrote:

Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!

But how can we believe the words of a man when he says that he was sent by God etc.? Though he preached peace, he allowed to kill many people including women. He married many women, though this is not a bad quality, it lacks fidelity. How can we believe such a man?

Thank you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

We believe the words of a man who did not claim to be God, even though (considering his credibility) he could and would have been followed. It is God who says that He has sent Muhammad (peace be upon him) and not Muhammad (peace be upon him) himself.

He preached submission to Allaah, peace was only a by-product of such submission... not the actual message. He never allowed to kill women, and he never allowed killing other than the one that would occur in the battlefield, or as an act of defence or an act of punishment for grave wrongdoings.

He married more than one woman, and was loyal to all of his wives without flirting around or commiting adultery... how can it possibly lack fidelity when his marriage was legal and his wives loved him dearly with much respect and cared for him. 

How can we not believe a man who gave without taking and who called not towards idolizing mortal-himself but to The Creator, The Eternal...? 

Muhammad - Peace and Blessings of Allaah be upon him!   

-------------
MOCKBA

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 5:23am

JazakAllahKhair Mockba.

Thankyou Varshaken for your questions. Mockba has answered your questions in a nutshell. In addition to this I shall try to clarify some more for you from a historical context. You have asked three different questions and I shall attempt to answer each of them separately.

You have written: �Though he preached peace, he allowed to kill many people including women.�

First of all what is the source of your information? Can you please write to me where you obtained this information from or how you have come to this conclusion. You have to be very careful about the sources that you pick for gaining information on Islam. There are many sources whose aim is to discredit Islam through false and foul means. There are many websites on the Internet as well as publications which have been written by people who have no credibility in presenting historical facts. A lot of people fear the spread of Islam and try their very best to mislead those who seek to gain or improve their knowledge on Islam. So it is upto you to seek knowledge from the most authentic and credible sources.

First of all Mohammed (PBUH) did not allow Muslims to kill anyone unjustly. According to the Qur�an if you save one human being you have saved all mankind and if you have killed one human being unjustly, it is like killing whole of humanity. This is what Mohammed (PBUH) preached.

At the same time, unlike other religions we don�t turn the other cheek in submission. If oppressed God has permitted the Muslims in the Qur�an to retaliate and the retaliation should not exceed the injustice received. Also Muslims have been advised that forgiveness is better than retaliation. So, Mohammed (PBUH) did not allow Muslims to kill other people leave alone women unjustly.

Coming to the life of Prophet Mohammed, he faced a lot of hostility and persecution from his own people in the very city Mecca where he was born. He had to flee from Mecca to Madina as the enemies of Islam had resolved to kill him. But he was on a mission from God. He could not just sit in Madina to save his life. He had to face his enemies and cleanse Mecca of the idolatory that was being practised during that time. Despite all his kind words his enemies were bent on removing him to save the religion that there fathers and forefathers practised. Mohammed (PBUH) had no choice but to face these people (who had oppressed him and persecuted him) to fight them in the battle field. But there are no records to prove that he had been able to kill even one person!

The advice he gave his followers on military expeditions were not to do the following:

1. Do not kill women or children or an aged or infirm person.
  2. Do not cut down fruit bearing trees.
  3. Do not destroy an inhabited place.
  4. Do not slaughter sheep or camels except for food.
  5. Do not burn bees and do not scatter them.
  6. Do not steal from the booty of war.
  7. Do not be cowardly.
  8. Do not attack people who take refuge in sacred places.
  9. Do not act treacherously.
  10. Do not mutilate.

There is no compulsion in religion in Islam. When a person reverts to Islam he/she should do so only from the bottom of their heart and not to please anybody. We do not go around giving goodies to people to convert to Islam. Even a person born to Muslim parents is not assured of God�s reward unless and until he/she believes and practises Islam.

I shall attempt to answer your other two questions soon.

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 9:05am
Hi Mr. Mockba!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for answering me. First of all forgive my english. I am not good at it, I am trying to improve.

You were saying "We believe the words of a man who did not claim to be God, even though (considering his credibility) he could and would have been followed." Its strange.........how can we believe a man when he says that he is God?
You said,"It is God who says that He has sent Muhammad (peace be upon him) and not Muhammad (peace be upon him) himself." To whom did God say that Muhamad was sent by Him?

Thank you for telling me the truth about peace. I thought Muhamad preached peace. I heard people saying Islaam means peace. So got confused.:)

By fidelity I said fidelity to oneself. I can never imagine marrying any other woman excepting my loved one. I can never imagine sleeping with another woman excepting my loved one. I did not say that he flirted.
Your meanings for fidelity, adultry, legal are totally different from mine. Legal means the law of the land. In Sri Lanka a man cannot have many wives or vice versa. What do you mean by fidelity and adultry?
Regarding love, respect and care there are many girls who want to marry film stars and cricket stars. So thats not an issue. the soul mate is only one.

You were saying "How can we not believe a man who gave without taking and who called not towards idolizing mortal-himself but to The Creator, The Eternal...?"
I did not understand what you meant. If you mean to say that he did not ask to pray him, then I say that praying to a man yields nothing. And anything cannot be taken, it can only be given. So even if Muhamad would have asked anything, he wouldn't have got. Hope you understand this. I mean to say when we ask for returns for what we do, then the sole purpose of our work will vanish and rendered useless.

I wonder one thing, one cannot give shape to God but one can give him names and call them "beautiful names". I feel its strange..........

Another question, isn't God omnipresent?

Thankng you

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 10:22am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!

Thank you for answering me. Please forgive me for my english.
Yes, Mr.Mockba has answered me in a nutshell and I thank him.

Thank you for your patience to answer me.

You asked me the source of my knowledge. I got it from a very general source Mr. Tasneem. Its muhammad.net, answers.com, about.com and islamicity.com.
http://www.answers.com/muhammad
http://atheism.about.com/b/a/019913.htm?terms=islam
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/islam/blfaq_islam_qu ran.htm

You said, "There are many sources whose aim is to discredit Islam through false and foul means. There are many websites on the Internet as well as publications which have been written by people who have no credibility in presenting historical facts. A lot of people fear the spread of Islam and try their very best to mislead those who seek to gain or improve their knowledge on Islam." Mr. Tasneem, I did not find any site demeaning or defaming Islaam and obviously I would not go through those sites to get my knowledge. But I found many Islaamic sites which defame other religions. This is what I posted in another discussion.

Thank you for clearing me about Muhamad.

You said, "At the same time, unlike other religions we don�t turn the other cheek in submission. If oppressed God has permitted the Muslims in the Qur�an to retaliate and the retaliation should not exceed the injustice received. Also Muslims have been advised that forgiveness is better than retaliation. So, Mohammed (PBUH) did not allow Muslims to kill other people leave alone women unjustly."
But when you say "retaliate" it will not give the desired answers. Its common sense. If anyone beats me up and I go and beat him up then it will just escalate the hostility between both. Am I not true?

Its a common sense and common truth that hatred cannot be countered by hatred. Its love alone which conquers both body and mind. You said that you do not submit another cheek, but slapping him also will not solve the problem.:)
You say that God "permitted" Moslems.............. God save me............. I am afraid when you say such statements.:-((

You said Muhamad has enimies. Yes every great deed is definitely met with opposition. :(

You said, "
But he was on a mission from God. " How do we know that Muhamad is on a mission?

You said,"
He could not just sit in Madina to save his life. He had to face his enemies and cleanse Mecca of the idolatory that was being practised during that time."I do not understand your opposition to idolatry. I know that God has no form. But why do you give him names and call them "beautiful names"? Is it not as bad as idolatry? What is the difference between form and name? When I write "Allaah" is it not a form? You may say that you do not worship or pray to the form "Allaah" but you directly pray to Allaah. Similarly though idolators have a stone they definitely dont pray to the stone, they pray to which the stone signifies, that is God or Allaah. Its simple, everyone knows that stones cannot do anything. But then you go round and round of Caabaa and try to kiss the black stone. You drink the water from the Zamzam. Dont you? In another discussion, a member answered me that they are rituals and I have read elsewhere that because some prophet(I dont know his name, it may be Abraham) did that, thats why you do. If this is the case, why dont you consider the same thing with the idolators?

Another question, what do you imagine in your mind when you Namaaz? Your mind is definitely not blank. Even if your mind is blank, it should be either bright light or totally dark or simply said blank. But then even infinitely blank is a form isn't it? Its given a name formless..... But in most of the cases when you Namaaz, you think of Caabaa, isn't it? So when you are imagining Caabaa, you are praying to Caabaa. Though Caabaa is very sacred, but still it is not Allaah or God for you. So this means you can worship a form in your mind but cannot pray to a form outside. Right?

And do you believe that God is Omnipresent? If God is omnipresent, then he should be everywhere, which means he is also in the stone, rock, form etc. If God is everywhere, then everything is God.

If you seem to say that God is different from the creation, i.e., if you say or the Koran says that God is not omnipresent, then you are radically missing some point.

You said, "
Despite all his kind words his enemies were bent on removing him to save the religion that there fathers and forefathers practised. Mohammed (PBUH) had no choice but to face these people (who had oppressed him and persecuted him) to fight them in the battle field. " You initially said that Muhamad said forgiveness is better. But then he sought to fight the one who persecuted him. Does that mean that he preached forgiveness but he himself denying it? Its a basic instinct when anyone attacks a person or his/her beliefs which even his/her forefathers used to follow, then definitly they would revolt. There are many peaceful methods. War or revolt is not at all a solution. If war was a solution, then there would have been no world. War is just an effect.

You said,
"But there are no records to prove that he had been able to kill even one person! " I never said Muhamad killed.:)
But asking others to wage a war itself is a biggest mistake. Isnt it?

I am not basing these on some illogical premises. Just see, after Muhamad passed away, the war did not stop, it continued until Moslems conqured India. And you still see that same mindset followed for evil purposes in many countries. Sometimes they call it Jihad.

This is what I see in the world, but Sri Lankan Moslems are very peaceful. This may be because they are of local origin.

Thank you for giving me the premises or the rules followed during the war.:) Thank you also for clearing my future doubt about who is a Moslem.:)

Thanking you, hope you understand what I said.

Waiting for your reply.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 8:19pm

Mr Varshaken the sources of your information are not authentic except for Islamicity which I have not checked. As this is an Islamic website dedicated to Islam and presumably run by all Muslims I think they would have reliable sources of information. But as I said I have not gone through it and hopefully when I find the time I will go through the sources. As for all the other sources that you are relying on such as muhammad.net, answers.com and about.com I would not use these sources as I have had a quick look at these sites and I am not convinced that they are Islamic sources. If you continue relying on these sources you are going to be awfully confused and your questions here will be endless.

You have asked a number of questions which I cannot answer soon due to other work commitments but I shall refer you to some very useful books and a very good site for reading the Qur'an. You have earlier mentioned that you tried to read the Qur'an and could not understand it. This particular site has the Qur'an translated into English by three different translators. As each verse of the Quran has three different translations I would hope you will not have difficulty understanding it. This is the link:

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

Also you might find these sites useful:

http://www.wamy.co.uk/ - http://www.wamy.co.uk/

There are also many other very good sites but I will not confuse you by overloading you.

As for some very good books please get hold of Towards Understanding Islam by Sayyid Abul A'la Maududi  OR   A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam. This is generally available free of cost, but you can read it online on this wesite http://www.islam-guide.com/ - http://www.islam-guide.com/

I will briefly attempt to answer one of your many doubts. You've written: "I do not understand your opposition to idolatry. I know that God has no form. But why do you give him names and call them "beautiful names"? Is it not as bad as idolatry? What is the difference between form and name? When I write "Allaah" is it not a form? You may say that you do not worship or pray to the form "Allaah" but you directly pray to Allaah."

The names of God signify His qualities. These qualities include amongst many meanings such as "The Creator, The All Merciful, The most Compassionate, The most forgiving, The dominant, The Holy" These names cannot be given to any of His creation. Worshipping any thing besides Him is trying to demean Him by equating Him with His creation. God has created everything in the universe and how can you keep a stone in front of you and pray to a worthless object. This is associating His creation with Him. Muslims don't pray to the Kaaba. Muslims turn in the direction of the Kaaba. This is because we have been instructed to by God in the Qur'an. There are certain instructions from God which Muslims follow without questioning and one of these is to perform the Haj once in our life time. There are certain rituals in its performance. While we may not fully understand its significance but we follow the commands of God without questioning. This is because a true Muslim believes in the Qur'an completely and has the assurance in their heart that it is the Word of God, not a man made religion.

To me while obeying God's command in facing towards the direction of the Kaaba during prayer, I see the sense of unity. At every second someone somewhere in the world is praying to God in the direction of the Kaaba. I think this is beautiful.

Once more I suggest you please take the time to read and understand the Qur'an and make use of the sources I have directed you to. I think you would benefit more by reading and thinking.

Date Posted: 29 May 2005 at 10:52pm
Hi Mr.Tasneem!!!!!

Thank you for replying me with patience. May God bless you!!!!!

Mr.Tasneem, I would never quote a website which demeans a religion. I browsed those websites because they are very general and are used by almost all internet geeks and are also best rated.:)

Mr.Tasneem, you can reply me whenever you find time. There is no compultion. But very thank you for replying me promptly.:)

And thank you also for giving me good websites.:)

But Mr.Tasneem, I think you havent read my post entirely. I have clearly explained as much I can.
I did not say that you pray to Caabaa.

From now I will not ask you many questions. I will ask you a few questions at a time.
The question is,
Do you believe or does Koran say that God or Allaah is Omnipresent?

I am ever thankful to you.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 30 May 2005 at 12:51am

Hi Mr. Mockba!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for answering me. First of all forgive my english. I am not good at it, I am trying to improve.

You were saying "We believe the words of a man who did not claim to be God, even though (considering his credibility) he could and would have been followed." Its strange.........how can we believe a man when he says that he is God?

No, we don't, but many do believe even when the man does not say so.

Quote You said,"It is God who says that He has sent Muhammad (peace be upon him) and not Muhammad (peace be upon him) himself." To whom did God say that Muhamad was sent by Him?

To me, to you and the rest of mankind. 

Quote Thank you for telling me the truth about peace. I thought Muhamad preached peace. I heard people saying Islaam means peace. So got confused.:)

Considering, and as you yourself admit that your English is not good (though it seems fine), may i suggest that you dont just start making wrong conclusions from my previous statement. Islam means submission, devotion, obedience to Allaah. Peace comes automatically. Islam does not extend a hand of peace and love to wickedness and evil, for example. If you want to learn about Islam, you should not learn  from what you "hear" people say about it... but from the source itself - the Qur'aan. [/QUOTE]

Quote By fidelity I said fidelity to oneself. I can never imagine marrying any other woman excepting my loved one. I can never imagine sleeping with another woman excepting my loved one. I did not say that he flirted.
Your meanings for fidelity, adultry, legal are totally different from mine. Legal means the law of the land. In Sri Lanka a man cannot have many wives or vice versa. What do you mean by fidelity and adultry?

Some can never imagine summer all year round. Just because one can't imagine does not mean it is not possible, does it? Your meaning of "winter" or "summer" is totally different from mine... same, goes with fidelity or adultery, i guess. In San Francisco, a man can marry a man and adopt a child... it is legal. I assume Sri Lanka has not caught up yet. Islamic rules are universal and are not man-made, they are not established by majority count, bribe or force. Islam is not about our imagination and dreams. Unlike other religions, Islam is not adjusted to what we feel is right or wrong... but we need to adjust ourselves accordingly. Adultery is relationship outside of marriage, more often of sexual nature. And fidelity means not committing adultery. If i am allowed to marry four, with certain conditions, why would anyone want to consider me an adulterer?

Quote You were saying "How can we not believe a man who gave without taking and who called not towards idolizing mortal-himself but to The Creator, The Eternal...?"
I did not understand what you meant. If you mean to say that he did not ask to pray him, then I say that praying to a man yields nothing. And anything cannot be taken, it can only be given. So even if Muhamad would have asked anything, he wouldn't have got. Hope you understand this. I mean to say when we ask for returns for what we do, then the sole purpose of our work will vanish and rendered useless.

Though lack of some understanding is reciprocal in this case, I am wondering wether you have started working, yet. And whether you get anything in return for what you do and let your work "vanish rendered useless".

Quote I wonder one thing, one cannot give shape to God but one can give him names and call them "beautiful names". I feel its strange..........
Another question, isn't God omnipresent?

You sound like reincarnation of Bharatiya. Nevertheless, you are correct - God is omnipresent, the very reason why He cannot be an object... and does not need to be shaped.  

-------------
MOCKBA

Date Posted: 30 May 2005 at 3:37am
Hi Mr.Mockba!!!!!

Thanks for replying me again. Thank you for patiently answering me.

Mr.Mochba you said that God said, "To me, to you and the rest of mankind. " How is it possible, I did not have any such experience....................

Thanks for your comment on my english I am working on it. And I will not make any conclusions from now on......I will ask you directly....:)

YOu said, "I assume Sri Lanka has not caught up yet." How can you assume? You dont know the law of this land.......

You say," Islamic rules are universal and are not man-made, they are not established by majority count, bribe or force." I have no comment on that. But I know that it is your belief and your belief may not be true.:)
And I am not at all questioning the law of your land......
You said that "unlike other religions", can I know what are the other religions?

You ask me whether I started workng or not....Let me tell you I work for my living but havent started working for the people.....:)

You said, "You sound like reincarnation of Bharatiya." This is strange..........Someone else was also asking me to go through the posts between him and Bharatiya. Is Bharatiya dead? And do you believe in rebirth?

You said,"God is omnipresent, the very reason why He cannot be an object... and does not need to be shaped.  "   Thats really interesting....... I agree that one need not give shape to God because he is Omnipresent. But why to give him names......?

Anyway, that does not hold any point.... I want to know what you do during your prayer Nammaz?
On what do you concentrate on when you do Namaaz?

Thank you for your replies again.............

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Posted By: saalih
Date Posted: 30 May 2005 at 10:55am

no one gave allah names it's mentioned in the quran, i don't know where you got the idea that muhammed(sas) butcher women, infact it's against islam to kill the old, the young, and the woman, it's also against islam to terrorize them when the muslims are going to campaigns.

Praying is one of the pillars of islam, without praying some scholars consider the person a kaffir. the first thing that will be checked on the day of Judgement will be the prayer. we concentrate on god and asking allah and thanking him, again it's a step by step process. do you wan't to know why we pray, or how we pray.

http://www.geocities.com/teachmesalaat/ - http://www.geocities.com/teachmesalaat/

here is a website teaching how to pray and why we pray. and who do we pray for. follow the instructions, you have to right-click and click save target as and save it to your desktop then click open.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 2:30am
Hello Mr.Shakur!!!!!!

I never said, Muhamad butchered anyone.

Very thank you for the website Mr.Shakur.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 4:35am

Mr Varshaken I have attempted to answer all your questions by direct quotes from the Qur�an. Hope these will clear some of the doubts you have.

1.   Do you believe or does Koran say that God or Allaah is Omnipresent?

Yes, I believe that God is everywhere and the Qur�an also says so. Here are some of the verses from the Qur�an:

002.115: To Allah belong the east and the West: Whithersoever ye turn, there is the presence of Allah. For Allah is all-Pervading, all-Knowing.

002.186: When My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen to the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me: Let them also, with a will, Listen to My call, and believe in Me: That they may walk in the right way.

034.050: Say: "If I am astray, I only stray to the loss of my own soul: but if I receive guidance, it is because of the inspiration of my Lord to me: it is He Who hears all things, and is (ever) near."

1.     I want to know what you do during your prayer Nammaz? On what do you concentrate on when you do Namaaz?

When Muslims perform namaaz also called �salat� we recite the verses from the Holy Qur�an. One essential verse that every Muslim recites without which our Salat is not complete is the first verse from the Qur�an which is :

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;

Most Gracious, Most Merciful;

Master of the Day of Judgment.

Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.

Show us the straight way,

The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.

This verse is recited a minimum of 22 times a day by all those Muslims who offer their Salat five times a day. But it is generally more than the number I have indicated. Notice in this beautiful verse Muslims glorify God and ask Him to guide them to the straight path. This is something for everyone to ponder, all those who believe in God and those who believe in the power of prayer. When you ask God sincerely everyday so many times to guide you to the right path, do you not think that your prayer will be answered?

In addition to this verse Muslims also recite other verses of their choice and the Salaat consists of certain actions such as bowing and prostrations etc during which time we praise and glorify God. The method of performing Salat has been shown to Muslims by the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) himself.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 4:39am

3.     Its a common sense and common truth that hatred cannot be countered by hatred. Its love alone which conquers both body and mind. You said that you do not submit another cheek, but slapping him also will not solve the problem.:)
You say that God "permitted" Moslems.............. God save me............. I am afraid when you say such statements.:-((

4     " You initially said that Muhamad said forgiveness is better. But then he sought to fight the one who persecuted him......If war was a solution, then there would have been no world. War is just an effect.

5.     But asking others to wage a war itself is a biggest mistake. Isnt it?

Once more the answers come from the Qur�an, these verses pertain to forgiveness. Note in the third verse below while a person is permitted to seek recompense equal to the injury, forgiveness has been recommended.

007.199: Hold to forgiveness; command what is right; But turn away from the ignorant.

042.037: Those who avoid the greater crimes and shameful deeds, and, when they are angry even then forgive;

042.040: The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah: for (Allah) loveth not those who do wrong.

045.014: Tell those who believe, to forgive those who do not look forward to the Days of Allah: It is for Him to recompense (for good or ill) each People according to what they have earned.

Now with regards to fighting, please read the below 4 verses in their entirety, not in isolation.

002.190: Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.

002.191: And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith.

002.192: But if they cease, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

002.193: And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, Let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression

Note the below mentioned verse. Remember how we think and what we perceive is limited to what we have been taught and to the limited capacity of our minds. Simply because we think in a certain way does not make it correct. Our wisdom is limited and in no way can we defy God�s wisdom.

002.216: Fighting is enjoined on you, and it is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know.

004.074: Let those fight in the cause of Allah Who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of Allah,- whether he is slain or gets victory - Soon shall We give him a reward of great (value).

004.075: And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 4:41am

6. I am not basing these on some illogical premises. Just see, after Muhamad passed away, the war did not stop, it continued until Moslems conqured India. And you still see that same mindset followed for evil purposes in many countries. Sometimes they call it Jihad.

So far we have been discussing Islam, and I would like to dwell upon just religion - Islam. Muslims and Islam are two different entities. I cannot judge the actions of another Muslim and come to a conclusion whether it is right or wrong. I would need to gather all evidence from all sides for every specific event. Generalisation has no place in making a just opinion.

I cannot say that every Hindu is a murderer only because Nathuram Godse killed Mahatma Gandhi. I cannot say that every Irish person is a killer only because IRA engaged in such operations. I cannot say that every American is a bomber only because Timothy McVeigh was a bomber. But one thing I can say is that a person who follows Islam properly according to the commands of God is a good Muslim.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 7:35am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!

Thank you very much for quoting me the Koran and telling me about Salat. But I strongly believe that  002:191 wouldnt have been said by God. Anyway its my belief.

Thank you very much for telling me about Koran.

Ever thankful.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 7:36am
Mr. Tasneem, I want to know about the opposition to idol worship.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 8:08am
it's clearly against islam but since the ? is for tasneem i will let him take it from their. try this website and read about the miracles of the quran, http://www.islam-guide.com - www.islam-guide.com or http://www.truereligion.com - www.truereligion.com

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 8:44pm

Mr Varshaken, it matters little to me whether you believe it or not.  You will not be questioned for my sins nor will I be questioned for yours. I truly and sincerely believe in everything that God has revealed to me in the Qur�an and that when I come to the end of my journey here, I will have to give account of all my doings here. I will hope and pray (as I have said under the answer for namaz, that practising Muslims seek God�s guidance to the right path everyday atleast 22 times) that God guides every seeker of truth to the right path.

Now in answer to idol worship which goes under associating partners with God, there are too many references in the Qur�an. And God has promised that He will forgive all sins (for those who sincerely repent and ask for forgiveness) except one and that is associating partners with Him. It is the most heinous of crimes and that is why Muslims shudder when they see anyone worshipping anything other than the True and Only ONE GOD. Here are a few of the references:

016.020: Those whom they invoke besides Allah create nothing and are themselves created.

016.021: (They are)  dead, lifeless: nor do they know when they will be raised up

021.021Or have they taken (for worship) gods from the earth who can raise (the dead)?

021.024 Or have they taken for worship (other) gods besides him? Say, "Bring your convincing proof: this is the Message of those with me and the Message of those before me." But most of them know not the Truth, and so turn away.

034.022: Say: Call upon those whom you assert besides Allah; they do not control the weight of an atom in the heavens or in the earth nor have they any partnership in either, nor has He among them any one to back (Him) up.

034.023: And intercession will not avail aught with Him save of him whom He permits. Until when fear shall be removed from their hearts, They shall say: What is it that your Lord said? They shall say: The truth. And He is the Most High, the Great.

034.024: Say: "Who gives you sustenance, from the heavens and the earth?" Say: "It is Allah; and certain it is that either we or ye are on right guidance or in manifest error!"

041.048: The (deities) they used to invoke aforetime will leave them in the lurch, and they will perceive that they have no way of escape.

067.006: And for those who disbelieve in their Lord there is the doom of hell, a hapless journey's end!

067.007: When they are cast therein, they will hear the (terrible) drawing in of its breath even as it blazes forth,

067.008: Almost bursting with fury: Every time a Group is cast therein, its Keepers will ask, "Did no Warner come to you?"

067.009: They will say: "Yes indeed; a Warner did come to us, but we rejected him and said, 'Allah never sent down any (Message): ye are in nothing but an egregious delusion!'"

Posted By: kim!
Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 9:01pm

Ok, so what happens to someone who dies a good, devout, pious Christian? Christians, by your definition, associate Jesus alongside God.

(Don't even get me started on the whole praying-to-saints-thing)

And what about the isolated people (going back to that topic) who never come into any contact with Muslims at all? Like, for example, Brazilian communities in the rain forest who only know each other and maybe some Christians. Will they go to heaven because they did their best within the bounds of what they knew?

Kim...

Date Posted: 31 May 2005 at 11:45pm

Kim

God does not deny anyone their reward for any good that they have done and they receive that reward in this life. If after the message has come to them and they deny it and persist in their disbelief in His Unity and continue to associate partners with Him He does not forgive them. If you want to read some verses from the Qur'an pertaining to Jesus and Christianity please read my quotes under Islam and Christianity alternatively please read from the Qur'an which is the best source.

I do not understand your statement: "(Don't even get me started on the whole praying-to-saints-thing)"

I have'nt discussed this anywhere as far as I can recall. In any case it is equally wrong.

As for those communities who have never come in contact with the true Message or for that matter children or infants who die young, I would assume that God would not punish them. He is the Best dispenser of justice and is the Most Compassionate and Merciful.

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 7:21am
allah said he's religion is islam anything else will not be expected, great post brother.

Posted By: Ali Zaki
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:21am

Salam to all,

Allah hu Alim (Allah is the judge). Among Muslims this concept is so well known that I will go out on a limb and not quote sources for this. If I am challenged by my Muslim brothers or sisters on this point, then I will quote sources for this.

We as Muslims are not given the authority nor responsibility of deciding who will go to heaven or hell. We are told simply to encourage the good, and forbid the wrong according to the commandments of Islam. The wise Muslim is so preoccupied with attempting to secure his own salvation that he does not have any inclination to ponder on the final destination of others. Eternal salvation is not guaranteed, we all must WORK for it (although we cannot, strickly speaking, earn it and we all depend on the grace and mercy of Allah).

-------------
"The structure of faith is supported by four pillars endurance, conviction, justice and jihad."

Imam Ali (a.s.)

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 4:36pm
YUSUFALI: Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.
PICKTHAL: Lo! Allah forgiveth not that a partner should be ascribed unto Him. He forgiveth (all) save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribeth partners to Allah, he hath indeed invented a tremendous sin.
SHAKIR: Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a great sin.

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 7:16pm
Hi All!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your replies. They have helped me a lot.

Mr. Tasneem, thank you very much for your patient replies.

Mr. Tasneem, finding time, can you tell me about heaven and hell?

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 9:39pm

Assalamu'alaikum Brother Tasneem,

You are doing tremendous effort, masha Allah. However, it seems that your message is falling on varshaken's 'deaf ears'. All he does is thanking you and starting off another wide-open question...   

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: kim!
Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Tasneem Tasneem wrote:

I do not understand your statement: "(Don't even get me started on the whole praying-to-saints-thing)"

I have'nt discussed this anywhere as far as I can recall. In any case it is equally wrong.

Thanks, and no - I know you didn't mention it, that's why I put it in brackets to indicate it was just a thought popping into my head while I was typing.

I know there are some Christians around who believe that Catholics are not Real Christians (TM) because they prey (OOOPS!), I mean _pray_ to the saints, instead of praying straight to God. Silly really, I mean - does God need secretaries?

Kim...

Date Posted: 01 June 2005 at 11:12pm

Mockba: Please don't judge anyone by what they write. What is the mind for? It is for everyone to think and make up their minds according to the faculties God has blessed us all with. Let us all pray that God guides us all to the Right path, irrespective of where we are born -  in a Muslim household or a non-Muslim household. It is easy for those of us who are born as Muslims to seek knowledge on Islam and I have nothing but appreciation for those born in other faiths to have the courage, the interest or curiosity to seek knowledge on Islam. I am happy with Varshaken's questions and I shall try to answer according to my limited capacity. And thankyou for your appreciation. The help is from Allah alone.

Thankyou also Kim. Unfortunately, it is not the Catholics alone who pray through saints, but there are some ignorant Muslims also in India who think it is alright to reach God via saints. Slowly the true message is reaching them. The approach to God for every human being is direct and this is what the Qur'an says.

Mr Varshaken, I shall reply to you tomorrow God willing.

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 12:05am
Jazzak Allahu Khair!

-------------
MOCKBA

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 12:13am
Hi Mr.Mockba!!!!!!!

I am really greatful to Mr.Tasneem.
You said, "However, it seems that your message is falling on varshaken's 'deaf ears'."

I did not understand by what you said above.

You also said, "All he does is thanking you and starting off another wide-open question...   "
What I can except thanking him?

Anyways, thank you for answering my questions.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 9:54pm

Mr Varshaken, I shall try to answer your question on hell & heaven, but before I do so I will need to give some introduction on why I believe in heaven & hell.

Recently, the world has experienced how hundreds and thousands of lives were wiped away in no time by the Tsunami. The devastating effect was so great that it swept through countries so far apart such as the distance between Indonesia and the Maldives for example. And it was over so soon and bodies were strewn like moths and the land became unrecognisable. This was a spectacle that the entire world watched in horror and to forget this event we would be doing it at our own peril, in my opinion. This event clearly demonstrated that God can accomplish whatever He chooses and He only needs to say �BE� and it is. No matter what explanation the scientists give to this phenomenon, they cannot prevent it. It is not for me to make a judgement about this event. All that I am trying to say is that it reinforces by a real life example that God can accomplish whatever He wishes and it is for us to fear Him and seek His forgiveness.

A number of these kind of events have been shown as examples to us in the Qur�an where entire nations were wiped out by God�s wrath, and for those of us who have read the Qur�an and witnessed the terrible Tsunami it should strengthen our belief in God and whatever has been said in the Qur�an is entirely true.

Allah has said in the Qur�an that we are going to be raised up on the day of Judgement and we will receive our reward for whatever good or bad we have done. That terrible day has been described quite vividly in the Qur�an. Many sceptics argue how can we be raised up when we are dust and bone, especially so when bodies are cremated they become ash. Living in an era when the scientists are able to clone a living being from a somatic cell, I wonder if the sceptics can still continue to argue if God can raise us up when we are dust and bone. When man created from a despicable fluid is able to create one like himself, what cannot God do?

I will again quote some verses of the Qur�an for the description of Judgement day, heaven and hell. Now please keep in mind one thing, that our comprehension of the unseen is only limited to our experiences on this earth and to our ability to think. I have read elsewhere that we cannot even imagine Heaven, because it is far beyond our comprehension. God knows best. So the description in the Qur�an is limited to whatever we have seen or experienced or able to think/comprehend in this life. Here are only a few verses, there is a lot more in the Qur'an with even more description. :

Day of Judgement:

036.049: They will not (have to) wait for aught but a single Blast: it will seize them while they are yet disputing among themselves!

036.050: No (chance) will they then have, by will, to dispose (of their affairs), nor to return to their own people!

036.051: And the trumpet shall be blown, when lo ! from their graves they shall hasten on to their Lord.

036.052: They will say: "Ah! Woe unto us! Who hath raised us up from our beds of repose?"... (A voice will say:) "This is what (Allah) Most Gracious had promised. And true was the word of the messengers!"

036.053: It will be no more than a single Blast, when lo! they will all be brought up before Us!

036.054: Then, on that Day, not a soul will be wronged in the least, and ye shall but be repaid the meeds of your past Deeds.

Heaven:

036.055: Verily the Companions of the Garden shall that Day have joy in all that they do;

036.056: They and their associates will be in groves of (cool) shade, reclining on Thrones (of dignity);

036.057: (Every) fruit (enjoyment) will be there for them; they shall have whatever they call for;

036.058: "Peace!" - a word (of salutation) from a Lord Most Merciful!

Hell:

036.059. "And O ye in sin! Get ye apart this Day! 036.060. "Did I not enjoin on you, O ye Children of Adam, that ye should not worship Satan; for that he was to you an enemy avowed?-

036.061. "And that ye should worship Me, (for that) this was the Straight Way?

036.062. "But he did lead astray a great multitude of you. Did ye not, then, understand?

036.063. "This is the Hell of which ye were (repeatedly) warned!

036.064. "Embrace ye the (fire) this Day, for that ye (persistently) rejected (Truth)."

036.065. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.

Surah 88. The Overwhelming, The Pall

1. Has the story reached thee of the overwhelming (Event)?

2. Some faces, that Day, will be humiliated,

3. Labouring (hard), weary,-

4. The while they enter the Blazing Fire,-

5. The while they are given, to drink, of a boiling hot spring,

6. No food will there be for them but a bitter Dhari' (thorns)

7. Which will neither nourish nor satisfy hunger.

8. (Other) faces that Day will be joyful,

9. Pleased with their striving,-

10. In a Garden on high,

11. Where they shall hear no (word) of vanity:

12. Therein will be a bubbling spring:

13. Therein will be Thrones (of dignity), raised on high,

14. Goblets placed (ready),

15. And cushions set in rows,

16. And rich carpets (all) spread out.

17. Do they not look at the Camels, how they are made?-

18. And at the Sky, how it is raised high?-

19. And at the Mountains, how they are fixed firm?-

20. And at the Earth, how it is spread out?

21. Therefore do thou give admonition, for thou art one to admonish.

22. Thou art not one to manage (men's) affairs.

23. But if any turn away and reject Allah,-

24. Allah will punish him with a mighty Punishment,

25. For to Us will be their return;

26. Then it will be for Us to call them to account.

Date Posted: 02 June 2005 at 11:28pm

Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!

This was a good explanation, but I need the meaning of the versus,

036.065. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.

And does death means sleep, I mean we will be sleeping in our grave until Allaah raises us? And if anyone goes to hell, then does he stay there forever?

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 03 June 2005 at 4:55am

Mr Varshaken, I am not a scholar and my knowledge is limited to whatever is plain in the Qur'an and easy to follow. Also we have been advised:

003.007: He it is Who has sent down to thee the Book: In it are verses basic or fundamental (of established meaning); they are the foundation of the Book: others are allegorical. But those in whose hearts is perversity follow the part thereof that is allegorical, seeking discord, and searching for its hidden meanings, but no one knows its hidden meanings except Allah. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in the Book; the whole of it is from our Lord:" and none will grasp the Message except men of understanding.

1. "And does death means sleep, I mean we will be sleeping in our grave until Allaah raises us?"

I will leave this question open for anyone with knowledge to answer. I do not wish to speculate on an issue of which my knowledge is scant.

2. "And if anyone goes to hell, then does he stay there forever?"

011.107: They will dwell therein for all the time that the heavens and the earth endure, except as thy Lord willeth: for thy Lord is the (sure) accomplisher of what He planneth.

If you need further explanation of the above verse again I will leave this for those with knowledge to answer.

3. but I need the meaning of the versus:

"036.065. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.

Again if anyone with knowledge can help here. I have merely copied below the commentary from Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation:

"The ungodly will now be dumbfounded. They will be unable to speak or offer any defence." "But their silence will not matter. Their own hands and feet will speak against them. "Hands and feet" in this connection are symbolical of all the instruments for action which they were given in this life, including their faculties and opportunities. The same extended meaning is to be understood for "eyes" in the following verse. Cf.also xli. 20-21, where eyes, ears, and skins are all mentioned as bearing witness against such as misused them.

041.019 On the Day that the enemies of Allah will be gathered together to the Fire, they will be marched in ranks. 
041.020: At length, when they reach the (Fire), their hearing, their sight, and their skins will bear witness against them, as to (all) their deeds.

041.021: They will say to their skins: "Why bear ye witness against us?" They will say: "Allah hath given us speech,- (He) Who giveth speech to everything: He created you for the first time, and unto Him were ye to return.

041.022: Ye did not seek to hide yourselves, lest your hearing, your sight, and your skins should bear witness against you! But ye did think that Allah knew not many of the things that ye used to do! 

Date Posted: 03 June 2005 at 10:38pm
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!

Thank you for your replies Mr. Tasneem. They help me a lot. I want some explanations for some other versus also. Can you please give me the website of Mr. Abdullah Yusuf Ali? I would be most fortunate.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 3:10am

Explanations of every verse may not be available but some scholars have done a tremendous job of translating and providing commentary of certain verses. May God bless them for the wonderful work that they have done. Many of us Muslims don't understand Arabic the language in which the Qur'an was revealed. Without the hard work of these scholars we would have been very ignorant. However, we have to remember that these scholars who have helped us understand the Qur'an are also human beings and everyone may not agree with everything they have said. So if I recommend to you certain scholars whose works I find appealing, you may also come across people who would not approve of their works. So if you have a thirst for knowledge on Islam I would suggest that you try and read from the commentaries of also a couple of other noted scholars.

I have found the works of Abdullah Yusuf Ali very useful, though in some instances I may differ. Other translators and commentators widely used are Maulana Maududi and Pickthall. Again not everyone finds agreement with them. It is very hard to find the commentaries on the web. You may need to either visit an Islamic bookshop or if you know some good Muslims in Sri Lanka, please ask for their help in getting an English translation of the Holy Qur'an with commentary by a well recognised and accepted scholar.

Here is a website that is said to contain the commentary by Yusuf Ali which may help you. I have only done a very brief survey of this website and I request other readers of this post to alert if this website is unsafe in any form along with reasons.

http://www.shaplus.com/free-quran-software/quran-multiple-translation-software/QuranTrans/qurantrans-features.htm - http://www.shaplus.com/free-quran-software/quran-multiple-tr anslation-software/QuranTrans/qurantrans-features.htm

Happy reading! May Allah guide you to the Right Path! http://www.muslim.org/english-quran/quran.htm -

http://www.al-islam.org/quran/ -

Date Posted: 04 June 2005 at 9:00am
Hello Mr.Tasneem!!!!!!!

Thank you for your help in understanding Islaam.:)

I will ask the questions which I have, later. First I will learn these and then come back to others.:)

Unfortunately, the site you gave me does not work for me. Mine is Linux operating system and those does not get install in my system.:(

Anyways, thank you for your help.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 9:37am

you want to read the translation of the quran or download one. try http://www.divineislam.com - www.divineislam.com download the quran, with recitations and stories of the prophet by imam ibn kathir (very famous). all the prophets that are mentioned in the quran and some from the bible.

Date Posted: 06 June 2005 at 10:35am
Hi Mr. Shakur!!!!!

Thank you for giving me the website.:)

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 08 June 2005 at 12:34pm
your welcome

Date Posted: 09 June 2005 at 10:42am
Hi Mr. Tasneem, Mr. Shakur and all!!!!!!!!

I have read short chapters of Koran and have some doubts regarding some versus. Please reply me finding time.

The following versus say that only Moslems are fit for heaven.
"3:19 : Surely the (true) religion with Allah is Islam, and those to whom the Book had been given did not show opposition but after knowledge had come to them, out of envy among themselves; and whoever disbelieves in the communications of Allah then surely Allah is quick in reckoning.
"3:85 : And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers."

Though Mr. Tasneem has said to Mr. Kim,"God does not deny anyone their reward for any good that they have done and they receive that reward in this life. If after the message has come to them and they deny it and persist in their disbelief in His Unity and continue to associate partners with Him He does not forgive them."

But the above versus, Allaah clearly says that religion other than Islaam are not be accepted. They are confusing. What does those mean?

And the following versus,
"56:8 : Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right Hand;- What will be the Companions of the Right Hand?"
"56:9 : And the Companions of the Left Hand,- what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?"
"70:37 : On the right hand and on the left, in sundry parties?"

What do the above versus mean? I mean, whose right hand and left hand?

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 09 June 2005 at 9:14pm

Hello Mr Varshaken

"Islam" means submission or surrender to the ONE & ONLY GOD. From this you cannot infer "that only Muslims are fit for heaven". A person who truly believes in his/her heart that there is only One God, will hasten to obey God and to seek His love and His forgiveness. Believing in the ONE and Only true God does not mean simply saying that one believes in the One God, it also means that he/she would obey His commands which are in the Qur'an the speech of God. The message of Islam - meaning submission, was the same message that was brought to mankind by all the Messengers of God. As I have written in one of my earlier posts this Message (of God's oneness) was not adhered to by the populations to which this Message came. It was changed wherein they associated partners with God thereby falsifying the essence of the Message. Islam is the only religion that professes the unity of God. Many other religions also claim that they believe in only one God but a closer inspection reveals too many gods/dieties etc are worshipped too in order to reach the one God, which is prohibited in Islam. In Christianity too Jesus is regarded as God/son of God and is worshipped and this is not acceptable in Islam.

A Muslim in the true sense of the word is one who has surrendered to God which encompasses not mere belief but also obeying His commands, His Apostle, belief in the angels and belief in the hereafter. A person simply by virtue of hs birth as a Muslim does not become a Muslim unless he believes in God's oneness and obeys His commands.

Regarding my post that you have quoted let me explain again. Allah has said in the Qur'an that everyone will be rewarded for whatever good they have done and also for their evil deeds. There will be no injustice done to anyone. He has also promised that He will forgive all sins for those who sincerely repent and ask his forgiveness EXCEPT ONE and that is if they associate any partners with GOD. So people who have heard the truth about the Message of Islam continue to persist in their disbelief and associate partners with God they will not be forgiven in the hereafter and for whatever good they have done they will receive their reward in this life. For the true believers the reward could be in this life and God willing in the hereafter. I hope this explains it.

God willing, i shall get back to you about the second part of your question.

Posted By: muratkose
Date Posted: 10 June 2005 at 12:21am

Hello Varshaken!

1- Islam is the name of massage from Allah to human being throug Noah and Muhammad PBUH. So, Muhammad PBUH is not the only prophet of Islam, he is the last prophet of Islam. If you think that everything like planets, animals, plants, mountains etc are muslims, you can make it more clear.

2- Our prophet says that in the judgment day the ones who've earned the heaven will be on the right side of the judgement place. The ones who will go to hell will ve on the left side. ( righteousness)

Date Posted: 10 June 2005 at 9:19am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!

Thank you for replying. Now I understand why there is so much of militancy in the name of "Islaam". Instead of looking at the meaning, they were looking at the word.:)
Thank you.:)

Though Mr. Muratkose has answered my second question, I still dont understand it.

You said,"As for those communities who have never come in contact with the true Message or for that matter children or infants who die young, I would assume that God would not punish them. He is the Best dispenser of justice and is the Most Compassionate and Merciful."

I was thinking over this and found a silly argument. If Allaah does not punish people who die very young, then it would be even better if no one is born. I mean, if we control birth, then there will be no one left after some years. This way we can find less people in Heaven or hell. This is really silly argument, but not out of question.

Another thing, God is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent. So He knows everything, the past, the present, the future. So He knows that some non-believers and idolators will deny Him. Then what is the point in giving a choice of submitting to Him or not? He exactly knows whether who will go to Heaven and who will go to hell now itself. He knew it before he started Creation. I dont find any point in creating us as He knows well that some of us will not believe.

These may be silly questions. But please bear with me. May be I have missed some important points.

If you find time, please answer me.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 10 June 2005 at 9:23am
Hi Mr. Muratkose!!!!

Thanks for answering me.

Can you be a little elaborate regarding the second answer.

When I read the versus, I started speculating about the Day. At the extreme right there will be our Prophets, then the believers and then at last the non-believers. But then, got another problem, Prophets should be the foremost. I could not explain myself and so I asked the question in the forum.

Anyway, thanks for answering my questions.:)

Thanking you,

Everthankful,
Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:04pm

Mr Varshaken

I still have to find the answer to the second part of your first question and I have'nt found the time to, but I will look up and let you know God willing, otherwise perhaps Mr Shakur or Mr Muratkose may provide the answer before me.

I have a little time now and I found your questions very reasonable and something many of us ask when we are learning about Islam. About my answer that you have quoted, let us never forget that God is the best dispenser of justice. Why would He punish an infant or anyone who has not come in contact with the true message? But why are they sent on earth? Allah knows best, everyone is sent for a purpose. He accomplishes that purpose in whatever way He wants. This is beyond our knowledge and what is beyond our knowledge it is best not to speculate over it. As you continue to read the Qur'an you will perhaps be able to understand more about this when you read the Sura on the Cave and also Yusuf.

About your second last para Allah has given everyone of us a mind and a choice which He has not granted to any other living creature to the same extent as He has granted to the human mind. It is left to us to exercise this mind in thinking, pondering and following the right path. Most of us get too engrossed in the glitter of this world and we fear man more than anyone else. But we know from the Qur'an that this life is not the be all and end all and to Allah is our return. If we do not exercise our mind properly then it is our own loss. IN Islam we do not believe in pre-destination. This world is a test ground for each one of us and we are given the choice to follow path A or path B. In the Qur'an it has been clearly mentioned that we are going to be held accountable for all our deeds. Allah has said that no one knows the exact moment when and where the rain is going to fall, the future of the baby that is in its mother's womb, where we are going to die and when, however, where the life hereafter is concerned He has given us the choice to work towards it.

Also Allah has said in the Qur'an that whatever good we get it is from Allah and whatever evil befalls us it is from our ownselves. So to prevent the bad Allah has given us the choice to obey Him, to follow His commands, to fear Him, to repent and seek His forgiveness.

Date Posted: 10 June 2005 at 8:03pm
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for answering me promptly.:)

But my question is not concerned with destiny. I know we are the makers of our own destiny. If we do good we will go to Heaven, and if we do bad we will go to hell.

My question is regarding Allaah's Omniscience. You said," IN Islam we do not believe in pre-destination." I am not at all concerned about pre-destination. I was telling that Allaah knows everything. He now itself knows who is going to Heaven and who is going to hell. Allaah is not bound by time. He knew everything before He started Creation. Thats the reason I particularly asked. If He knows the result, then whats the purpose of the test?

Thats why I was saying that I may be missing some important points about Islaam.

Hope you get my point.

Thanking you,

Everthankful,
Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 11 June 2005 at 10:29pm

Mr Varshaken, the teacher knows the student's capability and performance, yet the student does not give up hope and appears for the exam doing his best with the desire and hope that his better performance would please his teacher and he would pass his exam. Is it not the case? We know that some of us will pass the exam and some will fail but we don't abscond from sitting the exam only because we think we are going to fail, do we? Similarly, a true believer never gives up hope. Giving up hope is fatalistic. Allah has promised His forgiveness for those who sincerely repent, His bounties are open to all. Yes, Allah knows each ones place but do we? He gives us every opportunity to repent and do good to protect us, yet after all the guidance if we continued to abide in sin it is our own fault isn't it? About this aspect I don't think I can clarify more. The only thing I can say is never give up hope in His Mercy and obey His commands & seek HIs forgiveness.

The explanation that A Yusuf Ali has provided for the following verses:

"56:8 : Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right Hand;- What will be the Companions of the Right Hand?"
"56:9 : And the Companions of the Left Hand,- what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?"

is this:

"There will be a sorting out of Good and Evil. There will be 3 main classes. Among the good there will be the specially exalted class, those nearest to God, and the righteous people generally, called the Companions of the Right Hand. And there will be those in agony, the Companions of the Left Hand. Many who were high and mighty in this life will be brought low for their sins, and many who were lowly but virtuous will be exalted to various ranks and degrees. The old landmarks will be lost in the inner world, as they will be in the outer world."

YUSUFALI: And those Foremost (in Faith) will be Foremost (in the Hereafter).

YUSUFALI: These will be those Nearest to Allah:

Explanation Yusuf Ali: "Foremost (in Faith): there are two main meanings, and both are implied. (1)Those who have reached the highest degree in spiritual understanding such as the great prophets and teachers of mankind, will also take precedence in the Hereafter. (2) Those who are the first in time - the quickest and readiest - to accept God's Message - will have the first place in the Kingdom of Heaven. Verses 8, 9 and 10 mention the three main categories or classifications after judgement. In the subsequent verses their happiness or misery are symbolised. This category, Foremost in Faith, is nearest to God.

Hope this explains it.

Date Posted: 12 June 2005 at 4:41am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for answering me.

But I was not talking about us human beings. I was talking about God. I was saying that God knows exactly what happens and still gives us a choice. God knows exactly that if a certain man is created he will be a non-believer yet He creates him and then "punish" him as said in the Koran. Thats why I was asking you whether I missed any crucial point in studying Koran.

Regarding the versus, I was saying that what does those Right Hand, Left Hand, Nearest etc allude? God is everywhere, then whats the meaning in saying nearest of Him, right hand, left hand etc.

Thats what I was saying to Mr. Muratkose,"When I read the versus, I started speculating about the Day. At the extreme right there will be our Prophets, then the believers and then at last the non-believers. But then, got another problem, Prophets should be the foremost. I could not explain myself and so I asked the question in the forum."

God does not have any shape nor He is a part of something, He is everywhere. Then how could anyone be nearest to Him and some other farthest to Him?

Anyway, thank you for answering.

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 12 June 2005 at 4:45am
Hi again Mr. Tasneem!!!!!

Though the second part of my question can be of no importance as stated in 3rd chapter 7th Sura, I still feel that there is a scope of explanation in it.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 12 June 2005 at 7:11pm

Mr Varshaken, the translation from Arabic to English or any other language cannot be completely accurate. There are some words in the Qur'an for which the translators have not been able to find the exact equivalent words. So they have done their best to present it in a manner that we readers can understand from our own perspectives. It is true God is everywhere and He knows the secrets of every heart. Here we are talking about the day of Judgement when this world that we live in bears absolutely no resemblance to what we have seen. As I've said before our ability to think is limited by our experience and the capacity of our mind only. What we have not seen is beyond our imagination. The word "hand" could also mean those who are given their books (their book of deeds) in their right hand who are the fortunate ones, and those given in their left or behind their backs could be the sinners.

When I started reading the Qur'an and understanding my religion I too had some questions, but the more I read, I felt that it is safer for me to understand the plain meaning as I grasp it at that moment. Also I read the commentary that was provided by the scholars, but the commentary is not exhaustive.  The Qur'an is not a book to be read once or twice and kept in a safe place. Unfortunately many of us do not read it constantly, I have heard people (Muslims) say yes I've read the translation once or twice. The more you read it the more you understand its meaning according to when God wants to make things clear to you. To me it is the source of Divine Guidance and so to many Muslims, and we read it everyday of our lives and are grateful to God for having bestowed it on mankind. My advise to you is don't stop if you cannot understand any particular aspect, move on to the next and keep reading. If your search for the truth is sincere, Allah will guide you and help you understand and make it easy for you.

Date Posted: 13 June 2005 at 10:17am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!

Brother, you said that you have read Koran more and make it a point to read it. Atleast explain me what you understand. It will take a lot of time for learning Arabic and then understand Koran. My friends here themselves dont know Arabic, thats why they are sending their children for Arabic classes.

Can you please atleast tell me from where to start? I feel that Koran is not where to start to know about Islaam. Koran is the best part of Islaam, but one cannot understand directly. Please tell me where to start.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 13 June 2005 at 8:40pm

Mr Varshaken, I have been trying to explain to you the meanings of most of the verses about which you have asked as well as I have explained the message of oneness of God and about the Prophets. The only question to which you are not satisfied with my answer is why Allah tests us despite knowing who He will put in Heaven or Hell. Even to this I have tried my best to answer, and because you are not convinced I suggested that you continue to read the Qur'an ie the translation. I have earlier suggested to you the best site that I found. I am once again giving this site link which has translations by three translators: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/  Before every sura there is the introduction provided by a very good scholar, which would help you understand. There are a lot of books available explaining Islam. Once again it worries me that people sincerely intersted in learning about Islam may unfortunately get hold of the wrong sources of information or the advise of people who are seen to be following Islam but belong to completely different sects from main stream Islam. Their teachings are in many ways contrary to what the Qur'an says and relate more to historical facts etc.

IN one of my earlier posts I have also suggested some books as well as a site. Please refer to that. The following sites also may be helpful to you: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&CR=218&dgn=4 - http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=brows e&CR=218&dgn=4 . This site is called Islam Q & A.

http://www.islaam.com/ - http://www.islaam.com/  May be this may help. If you want some books mailed to you free of cost you can send your address by private message and I could get them mailed out. Islamicity may also offer this service, you could also check with them.

Please do not think that I am tired of your questions. You can continue to ask and I will try to explain to the best of my ability. However, as I have said earlier that I am not a scholar but only someone who is seeking Allah's guidance and struggling to earn His pleasure. So do not hesitate to pick up some good sources of information (books or learned scholars) - from amongst the Sunni or main stream Islam). Most of the non-Arabs don't understand Arabic and all that we do is to understand the meaning of the verses that we recite in our namaz so that we can increase our concentration and be mindful of what we recite. Some people do learn the language but I would think it would be easier to learn if you are in the company of Arabs or in an Arabic speaking country. But we all have our limitations and we can only try our best with whatever Allah has blessed us with and seek His forgiveness.

Date Posted: 17 June 2005 at 7:46am
may allah give you paradise for giving this time answering these questions and may allah guide varshakeen

Date Posted: 19 June 2005 at 5:04am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right that you have answered me. I realy thank you for that.

I have read Koran.:) Though did not understand it fully.

That Q & A on Islaam was good, but could not answer my questions. I posted my own questions on that website.:)

Still the basic questions remain unanswered...........................:(

And many more questions have risen in my mind. I am sorry to bother you. But I need the answers.

1. Is the goal of Islaam to reach God or to reach Heaven? Please be specific.
2. Does a true Moslem stay in Heaven forever?
3. What is spirituality according to Islaam?
4. One verse says,"Looking towards their Lord". And another verse says "before Him". Isn't God everywhere? Looking towards, before Him etc. means He is residing somewhere else, isn't it? This surely implies God has form. What is the catch?
5. At one point you said about "God's wrath". And the Koran says God to be "Most merciful". "Most" is a comparitive term. With whom is God being compared to? If He is "Most merciful" then how can we say that He displays wrath?

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Date Posted: 19 June 2005 at 5:04am
Hi Mr. Shakur!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your greeting.:)

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Posted By: muratkose
Date Posted: 20 June 2005 at 5:18am

Salam to everyone!

First of all the life after death some where that we can not imagine. The people can think buy considering what they can see. for example if we try to desing a creature living in another planet, we always use the known lives. we just switch the place of their organs and we try to built a new organism. If it were possible to communicate with a core of a cell how can you describe it a body?!! even if you describe it can never understand. therefore you have to use metaphor.

Its the same with afterlife. While we are thinking about judgement day, heaven, hell etc... we must consider that these concepts are explained so that we can understand.

before thinking if it is possible to become near or far to Allah physically, we must know that we can never imagine Allah himself. we can know Him only with His adjectives. He is creator, mercifull, gracious ... Our prophet says do not think about Allah himself. But think about his attributes. The aleems (islamic scholars) say "whatever you think about Allah's physical features He is different than that."

Could I make myself clear?

good day.

Posted By: Perception
Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 6:52am

Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are right that you have answered me. I realy thank you for that.

I have read Koran.:) Though did not understand it fully.

That Q & A on Islaam was good, but could not answer my questions. I posted my own questions on that website.:)

Still the basic questions remain unanswered...........................:(

And many more questions have risen in my mind. I am sorry to bother you. But I need the answers.

1. Is the goal of Islaam to reach God or to reach Heaven? Please be specific.
2. Does a true Moslem stay in Heaven forever?
3. What is spirituality according to Islaam?
4. One verse says,"Looking towards their Lord". And another verse says
"before Him". Isn't God everywhere? Looking towards, before Him etc.
means He is residing somewhere else, isn't it? This surely implies God
has form. What is the catch?
5. At one point you said about "God's wrath". And the Koran says God to
be "Most merciful". "Most" is a comparitive term. With whom is God
being compared to? If He is "Most merciful" then how can we say that He
displays wrath?

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.

Peace be with you!

I am not a qualified scholar, but I thought I would mention a few points in relation to your questions as an ordinary follower of Islaam.

1. This is an interesting question, because according to Islaam every person will reach God, whether Moslem or non-Moslem. The quraan mentions many times that all beings will return to God, and it does not discriminate between believers and non-believers. For example:

"And whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is Allah's; and to Allah all things return" (3;169)

"And guard yourselves against a day in which you shall be returned to Allah; then every soul shall be paid back in full what it has earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly." (2;281)

"Is it then other than Allah's religion that they seek (to follow), and to Him submits whoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, and to Him shall they be returned." (3;83)

"And We have revealed to you the Book with the truth, verifying what is before it of the Book and a guardian over it, therefore judge between them by what Allah has revealed, and do not follow their low desires (to turn away) from the truth that has come to you; for every one of you did We appoint a law and a way, and if Allah had pleased He would have made you (all) a single people, but that He might try you in what He gave you, therefore strive with one another to hasten to virtuous deeds; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will let you know that in which you differed." (5;48)

"O you who believe! take care of your souls; he who errs cannot hurt you when you are on the right way; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will inform you of what you did." (5;105)

"It is He who doth take your souls by night, and hath knowledge of all that ye have done by day: by day doth He raise you up again; that a term appointed be fulfilled; In the end unto Him will be your return; then will He show you the truth of all that ye did." (6;60)

"Then are men returned unto Allah, their protector, the (only) reality: Is not His the command? and He is the swiftest in taking account." (6;62)

"Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides Allah, lest they out of spite revile Allah in their ignorance. Thus have We made alluring to each people its own doings. In the end will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did." (6;108)

etc.

However whereas all created beings will reach God on the physical level in the Hereafter only the believers will reach God on the spiritual level which in fact begins in this life on earth, and continues in the Hereafter where our meeting with God as believers will be the most spiritually rewarding experience. Islaam teaches us to keep our souls pure by keeping away from materialistic desires so that we are always close to God in this life, and in the Hereafter, it is this same soul which God will place in a new form (body) whose appearance and characteristics reflect the purity of the soul. All pure souls will be placed in heaven, which is an abode of utter tranquility with no presence of ill feelings, sufferings or contempt. Therefore Islaam makes us reach heaven by reaching God first. That is to say, Islaam provides a way of reaching God in this life who will help His servants achieve the inner-peace required through His worship to reach heaven. Whereas the disbeliever will only reach God in the Hereafter (unknowingly or unwillingly), not in this life, and will fail to be virtous enough to reach heaven. A few verses which may help your understanding:

"And whoever commits a sin, he only commits it against his own soul; and Allah is Knowing, Wise." (4;111)

"O you who believe! take care of your souls; he who errs cannot hurt you when you are on the right way; to Allah is your return, of all (of you), so He will inform you of what you did." (5;105)

"Say: "To whom belongeth all that is in the heavens and on earth?" Say: "To Allah. He hath inscribed for Himself (the rule of) Mercy. That He will gather you together for the Day of Judgment, there is no doubt whatever. It is they who have lost their own souls, that will not believe." (6;12)

"Others they keep away from it, and themselves they keep away; but they only destroy their own souls, and they perceive it not." (6;26)

"Now have come to you, from your Lord, proofs (to open your eyes): if any will see, it will be for (the good of) his own soul; if any will be blind, it will be to his own (harm): I am not (here) to watch over your doings." (6;104)

"And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way." (2;186)

"Those who believe, and whose hearts find satisfaction in the remembrance of Allah: for without doubt in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find satisfaction." (13;28)

2. Yes. See the following, for example:

"Say: "Is that best, or the eternal garden, promised to the righteous? for them, that is a reward as well as a goal (of attainment)."" (25;15)

"Enter ye therein in Peace and Security; this is a Day of Eternal Life!" (50;34)

"Those who patiently persevere, seeking the countenance of their Lord; Establish regular prayers; spend, out of (the gifts) We have bestowed for their sustenance, secretly and openly; and turn off Evil with good: for such there is the final attainment of the (eternal) home" (13;22)

3. I believe question 1 answers this.

4. God is residing somewhere. A common misconception even among Muslims is that God is physically everywhere. God knows about everything everywhere but that does not mean he is is physically everywhere. About God's form, there is a very good answer on the following site by a scholar of Islaam, which clarifies issue this beautifully:
http://www.islamonline.net/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hF atwaID=6664

5. God displays wrath because God is just. God uses his wrath so that justice is done to the evil-doers and mischief makers (e.g. murderers, rapists, corrupt leaders who may not be punished in this life). God does not consider a person who turns to Him in worship and practices good in the land as equal to an evil-doer. God's forgives people only when they are truly sorry for any evil they may have done, so even in his mercy God is just. For example:

"And guard yourselves against a day in which you shall be returned to Allah; then every soul shall be paid back in full what it has earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly." (2;281)

"Then how will it be when We shall gather them together on a day about which there is no doubt, and every soul shall be fully paid what it has earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly?" (3;25)

"These are the communications of Allah which We recite to you with truth, and Allah does not desire any injustice to the creatures." (3;108)

"And it is not attributable to a prophet that he should act unfaithfully; and he who acts unfaithfully shall bring that in respect of which he has acted unfaithfully on the day of resurrection; then shall every soul be paid back fully what it has earned, and they shall not be dealt with unjustly." (3;161)

"This is for what your own hands have sent before and because Allah is not in the least unjust to the servants. " (3;182)

"(As for) those who swallow the property of the orphans unjustly, surely they only swallow fire into their bellies and they shall enter burning fire." (4;10)

"Say: The bad and the good are not equal, though the abundance of the bad may please you; so be careful of (your duty to) Allah, O men of understanding, that you may be successful." (5;100)

"Say: "Who is the Lord and Sustainer of the heavens and the earth?" Say: "(It is) Allah." Say: "Do ye then take (for worship) protectors other than Him, such as have no power either for good or for harm to themselves?" Say: "Are the blind equal with those who see? Or the depths of darkness equal with light?" Or do they assign to Allah partners who have created (anything) as He has created, so that the creation seemed to them similar? Say: "Allah is the Creator of all things: He is the One, the Supreme and Irresistible."" (13;16)

"Then shall anyone who has done an atom's weight of good, see it!" (99;7)

"And anyone who has done an atom's weight of evil, shall see it." (99;8)

etc.

Hope this helps!

Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 4:53pm

Assalam-alaikum

First of all I'm sorry I have not come on to the forum for the last few days and I didn't recieve any emails about all these responses. I am glad that so many brothers/sisters have taken the time to answer questions of Mr Varshaken.

Thankyou Mr Shakur and my wishes to you are the same and May Allah guide everyone of us to the right path, Ameen! 

Mr/Ms Perception has answered Mr Varshaken's questions at length and most beautifully with direct verses from the Qur'an. I am sure one of us will be happy to explain if you have any more questions Mr Varshaken.

Just one point I wish to emphasise - one must reflect & ponder upon every verse in the Qur'an and it is not something to be read in the form of any other light reading. Also Allah knows your true intentions and accordingly you will receive your reward. If you are reading with the intention of truly searching for the truth your understanding will be different from the one who reads only to find fault with Islam. Mr Varshaken please note I am not directing this comment at you or anyone on this forum, but after S11 there are many people who are reading the Qur'an and some are using it to find flaws with Islam by taking some verses in isolation, so please try to take every care while reading the Qur'an ie cleanliness of body, mind and intention.

032.017:Now no person knows what delights of the eye are kept hidden (in reserve) for them - as a reward for their (good) deeds

032.018:Is then the man who believes no better than the man who is rebellious and wicked? Not equal are they.

032.019 :But as for those who believe and do good works, for them are the Gardens of Retreat - a welcome (in reward) for what they used to do.

Posted By: ZEA J
Date Posted: 21 June 2005 at 6:45pm
hello varshaken,i will try my best to explain the meaning of the verses . that day shall we set a seal on their mouths.but their hands will speak to us and their feet bear witness ,to all that they did. as you know we humans are full of excuses,and on the day of resurection ,some people would want to make excuses for the bad things they did back on earth. Allah will comand's the angels to seal the mouths of those who want to argue and make excuses with Him,so their body parts can speak for or againts them,for example, the hands wills peak for what they touch,the feet will speak for where they went e.t.c.

-------------
"You will never attain piety and righteousness,(and eventually paradise)until you
spend of that which you love."(Al-Imran:92)

Date Posted: 23 June 2005 at 9:09pm
asalam alaykum, sorry i was going for a while, life is busy.

Posted By: Salaafi
Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 5:54am

In the Name of Allah, most Merciful, most Benificent

I will try to answer the following questions as I have studied these areas of 'aqeedah and if I am wrong, it is not from Allah, it is from my own nafs or shaitain. And Allah Hears and Sees all.

1. "And does death means sleep, I mean we will be sleeping in our grave until Allaah raises us?"

- The Torment of the Grave is a well known concept, often described in hasan saheeh reports from the ahadith of the sunan of the Prophet Muhammad saw. It is described that everyone is subject to the torment of the grave, including shaheed(martyrs of Islam). You are not asleep but there is a barrier that enables you to see you future(either in Hell or in Paradise, may Allah protect all the believers.) and you will be able to see the world. From this point your pleas for forgiveness are no longer accepted. For the best among mankind in regardsw to faith, their grave is illuminated and expanded for them and they will reside in comfort with glad tidings of Paradise and will feel comfort until the Last Day.

There are many reports in both Saheeh Bukhari and Muslim, most of which have saheeh hasan isnad or better.

It is reported in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: �It has been revealed to me that you people will be put to trial nearly like the trial of Ad-Dajjal (antichrist), in your graves. If it were not for the reason that you would stop burying (your dead) in the graves on listening to the torment in the grave which I am listening to, I would have certainly made you hear that.�

It is reported also in the Sahih of Muslim that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: �When any one of you completes the last Tashahhud, he should seek refuge with Allah from four (trials): the Torment of Hell, the Torment of grave, the trial of life and death, and the evil of the trial of al-Masikh Ad-Dajjaal (Antichrist).�

2. "And if anyone goes to hell, then does he stay there forever?"

The Prophet said, "When the people of Paradise will enter Paradise and the people of Hell will go to Hell, Allah will order those who have had faith equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed to be taken out from Hell.

So even the worst among the believer will eventually be released from the tormet of the Fire, but it is not known for how long they will reside in it. It is well accepted and known through saheeh reports that the mushrikeen(polytheists, disbelievers, idolators, etc) that they will abide in Hell forever.

�Verily, Allaah has cursed the disbelievers, and has prepared for them a flaming Fire (Hell). Wherein they will abide for ever� [al-Ahzaab 33:64-65]

�Verily, those who disbelieve and did wrong; Allaah will not forgive them, nor will He guide them to any way � Except the way of Hell, to dwell therein forever; and this is ever easy for Allaah� [al-Nisaa� 4:168-169].

�and whosoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, then verily, for him is the fire of Hell, he shall dwell therein forever� [al-Jinn 72:23]

So it is clear that there is no place in Heaven for the disbeleiver.

"036.065. That Day shall We set a seal on their mouths. But their hands will speak to us, and their feet bear witness, to all that they did.

The interpretation of this verse and agreed upon by the scholars of the Salaaf that waht the brother above said is true, in that they will bear witness to the evil things in which they did on the account of the person who controls them. I.E - You eyes for instance bear witness against you if you were to look at pronohraphy..and your hands against you if you stole with them, etc.

I hope this helps some and verily Allah is the All-Knowing and Most Wise. May He be pleased with the believers and grant us all Firdose-ul Jannat(the higest level of Paradise) Ameen.

Posted By: zenman
Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:11am

I am not sure what Buddhist school you belong to Vershaken nor why you call your a Samurai? Buddhism is a non-theistic religion, that is to say we do not see a personal God looking over us, punishing us or rewarding us. This does not mean we do not believe there is a higher reality to existence but that it's not just limited to the concept of a Creator God. Now I am familiar with Islamic teachings to some extent having studied them in college from Moslem professors. I have respect for Islam and Muslim people, just as I do of Christians even though I know that both traditions harbor a few heretics and lunatics in their midst. How could any religion with a billion adherents not have a few bizarre people and bizarre belief systems. Vershaken,you do not seem to have a real strong grasp of Buddhism or a least have not exposed it in your posts. For my Muslim friends the reason Buddhas don't believe in creation or a creator is that we hold to the doctrine of interdependent origination. That is to say that no individual or entity exists independent of the whole but is affected by an effects of whole. Individual things we perceive seem to have absolute identities,saparate form each other because of the limits of our perceptual apparatus our senses.The boudaries of reality are created by epistimological limits. Therefore for us, creation is a myth created by the limits of our mind and senses. There are some direct parallels in quantum physics with Buddhist thought, for instance in the idea of an electron being in all places of its orbit but in no particular place at the same time is a kind of transcendental conundrum,which Buddhism would understand. Now I'm not trying to argue these points to convince anyone of that perspective, I'm simply stating them for a point of elucidation. From a Buddhist perspective the rewards and punishments for ignorant distructive action, or positive kindly action, are in direct proportion to the actions. For every action there is a perfectly proportional reaction. Therefore an eternal hell or heaven based on the actions of an individual is inconsistent with Buddhist thought. Buddhism believes in multiple realms of existence and reincarnation, to which a person is born according to the effects of his karma. I have a close friend who is a Druze and his people also believe in reincarnation. As a Zen student I find many parallels in the Sufi tradition and I see kindred spirits there.

I believe in my studies I was told once that the Prophet enjoined people of the book Moslems Christians and Jews to compete only in righteousness. Please correct me if I'm wrong but this is a wonderful teaching. On the question of shirk or idolatry. Buddhists look at statues as merely religious art and do not expect them to grant favors hear prayers or do anything more than collect dust. There is a famous story of a Zen sage who took a wooden statue of Buddha down from an altar on a cold night, set it on fire, and warmed his rear end t. He said to the shocked the monks" now it's finally of good use", because if you think Buddha is somewhere outside your mind you are an idolater. Vershaken if you are interested in parallels between Moslem thought and Buddhism please read the works of Indries Shah.

May all beings attain happiness!

-------------
"If You wish to know the truth then cease to cherish your own opinions"

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:01am

ok, do you care telling us who created the universe.

if there is a creation then their must be a creator especially something as big as the universe.

never mind that who created you if there is no god do you came by chance, i guess then 6 b people came by chance, huh?

that's an absurd reasoning.

-------------
allah knows best.

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 4:10pm

I am sure it seems that way my friend. I am not here to convince anyone of the validity of a Buddhist worldview, I just thought that you might like to know a little bit about Buddhism. For me the idea of creation and the Creator the stands outside of it doesn't make sense. If all things need a creator that it would follow logically that the creator needs a creator ad infinitum. To stop at any one point and say this is the final creator seems arbitrary. It is like the Big Bang theory they say everything goes back to this infinitely small mass which exploded and then created the universe. Well were that small mass come from? As I explained before we believe it is a finite nature of man's mind that he can only see things in a linear respective this creates that etc. However,we have found out that things are incredibly interconnected the simplist example of this is ecology. The creatures affect the forest the forest affects the creatures the mountains affect the forest and the forest affects the mountains as the forest creates climate, and the climate affects the mountains forest and the creatures.

We would be different from science however in that the mechanical reductionist model of the universe sees consciousness as an accident a phenomenon of matter. We would hold that matter is an expression of Consciousness. The two are inseparable like a drop of water is the ocean, the ocean is the drop of water, the Ocean from only perspective determines what you call it. Another example would be light theory, some say that light is made up of particles that it is partculate. A competing theory says that light comes in waves that is its waveform. All those bees are totally opposing and contradictory positions you can do experiments in which the light will behave as either waveform or particlate. Therefore it is now been posited that the person doing the experiment actually participates in the experiment in regards to its nature and outcome. This seems absurd and yet it is the case. Therefore the creative energy is an inherent part of existence itself not separate from it. For a Buddhist to attain enlightenment is to completely surrender one's self and one's ego to that Consciousness.

In order to do that there were certain guidelines given such as the noble eightfold path, right speech, right livelihood, right action and so on.I was brought up in the background of Northern Ireland's ongoing religious strife. I was a naturaly a spiritual person who felt the presence of the divine in everyday things, which is not to say every day things are the divine. I read all the Scriptures and the old and New Testament that I found it more disquieting than spiritual. I became a seeker fairly early before I even left high school. When I entered college I studied Islam and the Koran  in translation of course but there were scholars available to me you could read it and even do some exegesis from the Arabic. I found it to be more consistent logically then the Judeo-Christian tradition. However to me and I don't mean to be offensive but the idea that a Semitic tribal God rules the universe, and had many of the more immature traits of human beings such as wath, anger,jealousy and so on to be grossly simplistic.. I

am a father not perhaps a perfect one but I do not expect my children to worship me and not have minds of their own. Therefore I found it illogical that the Source of Being for the Universe had many of the crueler and insecure aspects of human nature.

An all-knowing all-powerful God who condemns punishes or rewards mortals when he already knows what they're going to do and preordaines it, seems more than a little bit inconsistent. Since then however I have been given a much more profound level of teaching upon these matters,by a Sufi Master of great wisdom.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 4:04am

Hello Zenman

Thankyou for enlightening us on Buddhism. Varshaken ofcourse started this thread to learn about Islam and he wasn't interested in discussing Buddhism as he stated elsewhere. From your post it seems that Buddhism is very abstract and hard to understand for ordinary people like myself and I am not surprised that I have a few friends who were Buddhist and have now reverted to Islam. I loved the Zen story of the wooden statue but why were the monks shocked? obviously their understanding of their religion was different. I have heard that in Sri Lanka there are some Buddhist monks who are fasting to death because they don't want the Tsunami money to be given to the Tamils. This has shocked me. How can the religious monks be so cruel, if Buddhism teaches the noble eightfold path?

When you are in trouble do you pray? If so, who do you pray to? And do you receive answers to your prayers? You say you have read the Quran? Can you please let us know who was the translator?

Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 9:07am
Yes Buddhism is  complicated philosophicaly it is not so much in practice. Anyway enough already i am not here to overly discuss buddhism.I belive it was Alfred Gulliame that was 30 years ago and we did have an Arabic speaking Professor who corrected or commented upon the entire text verse by verse correcting as we went. At the time there were not a lot of translations available. yes the Shri lankan monks are heretical in what they are doing,as I said when before when you have hundreds of millions of members of a religion you cna find soem that do that. By the way like Islam there are two branches of Buddhism,I am not of the tradition of Shri Lanka. Why would a Muslim kill a bunch of children getting candy? because he is a heretic  I would assume who has a grossly distorted view of Islam,which protects the innocent.Since we are not evangelical we really do not care if others follow our path or not,most Zen "converts" are from the intellectual elite. This is an Islamic forum so i do nto wish to belabor thisihere just as I said a point of elucidation.

-------------

Posted By: AhmadJoyia
Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 11:14am

My dear bro Zenman, as I read your ideas about science and Buddhaism viz a viz the intellectual elite, I hope you must have a solid foundation of your beliefs. So in that respect can you guide me to the origins of these buddhist beliefs that you talked about? I mean, do you find them in Tripitika or a book that contains these ideas? Do they have origin from Gotama Buddha or from any other Buddha?

Secondly, if you have read about Islam through the periscope of Old Testament or New Testament, then obviously you would find a reflection of a tribal God, but its really not that true at all. Just look at the 99 attributes of God (infinite in all of them) through which we can apprehend His divinity as being limited physical being. I think this is a perfect way of realising an infinite God yet through the human perception of a limited being. 

Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

My dear bro Zenman, as I read your ideas about science and Buddhaism viz a viz the intellectual elite, I hope you must have a solid foundation of your beliefs. So in that respect can you guide me to the origins of these buddhist beliefs that you talked about? I mean, do you find them in Tripitika or a book that contains these ideas? Do they have origin from Gotama Buddha or from any other Buddha?

They are most clearly seen in the Avatasmsaka Sutra also in the Abhidharma Pitaka.Of course the Doctrine of Inter dependent origination is common to all schools of Buddhism. As for my comments on "converts" this appears to be the case that they are much more educated than the average person,there was study done about five yeas ago but I can no longer find the website. I am not saying that you need to be more intelligent be a Buddhist,it just seems to attract people from that intellectual milieu, perhaps more Chic than Conviction.

Secondly, if you have read about Islam through the periscope of Old Testament or New Testament, then obviously you would find a reflection of a tribal God, but its really not that true at all. Just look at the 99 attributes of God (infinite in all of them) through which we can apprehend His divinity as being limited physical being. I think this is a perfect way of realising an infinite God yet through the human perception of a limited being. 

As I mentioned I was disabused of that prejudice by a Moslem scholar,but yes it does come from the Old and New Testaments.As you know in Hebrew you can see what appears to be the evolution of the Hebrews view of God from El Shaddai(God of the Mountain) Elohim,(I believe that is plural)Adonai and finally Yahweh,this lends credence to the notion of a tribal God if you look no further.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 6:35pm

Thankyou Zenman for your response. I have not heard of this Alfred Guilliame and who or what religion he belongs to. I am not sure what has attracted you to Islamicity, but if you wish to get a proper understanding of Islam it would be beneficial if you read a good translation of the Qur'an by a well renowned scholar such as Abdullah Yusuf Ali or Pickthall. Many sites have these translations online and I invite you to read from these to get a better perspective on Islam. One of the sites I frequent is: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

You have said that you got a better perspective of God from sufism. Would you like to share your knowledge with us?

Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 7:45pm

Thankyou Zenman for your response. I have not heard of this Alfred Guilliame and who or what religion he belongs to. I am not sure what has attracted you to Islamicity, but if you wish to get a proper understanding of Islam it would be beneficial if you read a good translation of the Qur'an by a well renowned scholar such as Abdullah Yusuf Ali or Pickthall. Many sites have these translations online and I invite you to read from these to get a better perspective on Islam. One of the sites I frequent is: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/

You have said that you got a better perspective of God from sufism. Would you like to share your knowledge with us?

I do have a copy of  Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation and have been reading for some time. Old Alfred was a turn of centry Orientalist.My Prof literally rewote the translation as we went over it.I asked why do you not translate it yourself He told me I am far to humble to try. 

Well about ten years I used to frequent a park very early in the morning where I would do some Bowing and then meditate for several hours.

On day when I was in meditation I felt someones presence close to me an there was a man on a small rug also meditating or praying. When I finished  I got up and he walked over to me and greeted me.We stared talking and I found out my new freind was from Afghanistan and was a follower fo the Sufi way.Subsequently we have had many discussions and shared many books.We have had long talks about God, the Budddha mind and so on.He had me read Al Hallaj,Al Ghazzali and some other works, and while meditating on them, I came upon a kind of epiphany as it were about  Nature and the Real. It is completely impossoble to communicate verbally,but my friend knew it immediately. I learned only this.

When you arrive at the sea, you
do not talk of the tributary.
(Hakim Sanai,

i no longer have ptoblems with the word God or Allah.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 5:18am
If the Zen branch of Buddhism is for the "intellectual elite" don't you think it discriminates on the basis of ones brainpower or "cleverness"? So people who are not quite as bright should miss out on its teachings? It seems to me quite contrary to the teachings of Islam. Because Islam is easy to understand and mostly logical. Most of the first converts to Islam were the poor and those who were looked down upon. Should'nt a religion accept anyone irrespective of a person's intellect, background, wealth or any criteria? I have written this just for the sake of discussion. If you have found all the answers to the complexities of life and this universe in Buddhism that is really good. How do you find Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation? Is it much different from Alfred Gulliame's?

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 3:06pm
what happen to varshakeen

-------------
allah knows best.

Date Posted: 18 July 2005 at 7:32pm

If the Zen branch of Buddhism is for the "intellectual elite" don't you think it discriminates on the basis of ones brainpower or "cleverness"? So people who are not quite as bright should miss out on its teachings? It seems to me quite contrary to the teachings of Islam. Because Islam is easy to understand and mostly logical. Most of the first converts to Islam were the poor and those who were looked down upon. Should'nt a religion accept anyone irrespective of a person's intellect, background, wealth or any criteria? I have written this just for the sake of discussion. If you have found all the answers to the complexities of life and this universe in Buddhism that is really good. How do you find Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation? Is it much different from Alfred Gulliame's?

Well Zen does not prohibit anyone form coming or going it has respect for other traditions of Buddhism. Our feeling is there are many school that are availble to evreyone according to theri disposition and upbrinigng. There is a good deal of camaradeship with some of those as well.It is not uncommon for a monk or lay person to study in several traditions.its like one big Unversity you can major in english or history etc,but it is still the same university.Surely in Islam you have teaching that are very profund and require a good deal of study,and some that do not.Therefore a muslim can study with a particular teacher to learn something new,I would think. Zen is not the pinacle however of difficult or esoteric school there are several which have very small membership and require tremendous scholarship as well as meditation. i got as copy of Koran Yusuf Ali's translation from a Muslim Widow who my wife befriended she gave us both a copy.Alis' scholarship is far superior to the Englishmans but as I said my old Professor corrections. much of that and his corrections and Alis' text are very concistent.

-------------

Posted By: copenhagen
Date Posted: 22 July 2005 at 2:17am

If the Zen branch of Buddhism is for the "intellectual elite" don't you think it discriminates on the basis of ones brainpower or "cleverness"? So people who are not quite as bright should miss out on its teachings? It seems to me quite contrary to the teachings of Islam. Because Islam is easy to understand and mostly logical. Most of the first converts to Islam were the poor and those who were looked down upon. Should'nt a religion accept anyone irrespective of a person's intellect, background, wealth or any criteria?

Peace be upon you all.

From the little bit I know about zen, it could be described as:
"What happens when you really ponder what is transpiring when you are praying"

I don't think Islam is simple at all, just that most folks haven't given it much thought. When you get beyond the quick wit retort, there are some impossible to describe concepts. Only a tiny percentage of Muslims study them. Does that make Islam inaccessible? Nope.

What I think is so odd about zen et al, is that I frequently hear the importance of simplicity, but it's burried in big words. But you also have something like the "Tao of Pooh" written as a childrens book.

Just my take on things.

P.S. If you are about to click the reply button to tell me what happens when you pray, I ask that you think it through a little further first. (or read my sig, and leave it alone )

-------------
Some people before you asked questions, and on that account lost their faith.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 22 July 2005 at 6:31am

Originally posted by copenhagen copenhagen wrote:

What I think is so odd about zen et al, is that I frequently hear the importance of simplicity, but it's burried in big words.

lol, you have a point there

Quote But you also have something like the "Tao of Pooh" written as a childrens book.

hey, I have that book, a little mini book

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 4:40pm

Zenman wrote: Surely in Islam you have teaching that are very profund and require a good deal of study,and some that do not.Therefore a muslim can study with a particular teacher to learn something new,I would think. Zen is not the pinacle however of difficult or esoteric school there are several which have very small membership and require tremendous scholarship as well as meditation.

I'm sorry, since the last few days I have not been able to come onto this forum and I had'nt seen your posts. I'd like to ask what you consider "profound" in Islam, that is difficult to comprehend? Are you talking about life after death and Heaven & hell?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net