IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nationalism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nationalism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utd4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2005 at 10:39pm

Assalamualaikum

Lets not forget that my thread-setting post begins with the Islamic State vs Malay Nationalism debate in Malaysia, which is really stemming from politics.  Whatever the claim, it has not deviated from that. 

In the nutshell, my underlying message is to highlight that its not the labelling to the ideological �ism that determines the Islamness but its consistency with the spirit of  Islam and the result. Apart from mentioning of Dr Mahathir�s and Azhar�s Rector on Malaysia�s Islamic state status, the Islamic label and branding is irrelevent to me.

I highlight the inextricable link of Malay and Islam. The practise of ibadah and the high level of adab (behaviour and etiquette) in our culture is reflective of this claim. I boldly put forth that the success of  Malaysia as God�s will to the pragmatic and fine balancing act of �Malay Nationalism� ie achieving good governance, adhering to Islamic value, acculturing Islam and defending the ummah�s interest and development. 

Critique to my bold claim painted the same negative picture of Nationalism on Malay Nationalism. The refine Malay character was blatantly ignored. Some ill understood discrepencies was put forward, such as infering affirmative action as discrimination. Some fact put forth seem to come out from many of Time Warner�s media offices.  

Some argument were discomforting. It seems we Muslims have an obtuse obsession to talk of principle for principle sake, irrespective if it is detrimantal to the interest of the ummah. We  are so narrow and fanatic with our interpretation that we are prejudice to disbelieve that with creativity, conflicting interest can be balanced.   

I was not born yesterday to not know that repeated evil labelling of Nationalism, emphasis to refer to Quran and Hadith (without specifics), remark of �Islam is not a pastime�, etc, ultimately leads to discussion of Islamic statehood. An idea most associated with Hassan Al Banna�s and Syed Qutb�s Ikhwanul Muslimun. So I touched on Jamaluddin Al Afghani.

Scholars on the study of society long concluded that most of the thoughts on Islamic State are reactions to local problems without a holistic knowledge of the problems of the whole ummah.

But I look forward for that right models of modern Islamic state that is beneficial to the well being and akidah of the ummah. Yes I agree, we should strive for unity. (There is even a Forum for it ie the OIC. Unfortunately, it is another forum for the Arabs to carry their quarrels and bickering than pondering the plight of the ummah.) 

Someone refered me that a Quranic passage (17:70)  highlight good governance as non disriminatory, gender equality, rigths to other religion and democratic in nature. Malay Nationalism Malaysia fulfilled that, delivered the goods and Islam has flourished. Either we refuse to acknowledge due to minor discrepencies, perceived or real, or we learn from it.  

Till we move forward. Have a good weekend. Wassalam

utd4ever

PS  

Thank you ZamanH for highlighting prosperity is from Allah. For that matter, ilmu is from Allah too.

Mockba, I concur totally with your criticism on Islamic banking. We could talk futher on a different thread. But you should see economics in totality, not just banking, but to incorporate  the real-side and monetary side for a start.     

ZamanH View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZamanH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2005 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by utd4ever utd4ever wrote:

Assalamualaikum

Walai Kum As Salaam

Some fact put forth seem to come out from many of Time Warner�s media offices.  

What exactly do you mean??

Some argument were discomforting.

Like??

I was not born yesterday to not know that repeated evil labelling of Nationalism, emphasis to refer to Quran and Hadith (without specifics), remark of �Islam is not a pastime�, etc, ultimately leads to discussion of Islamic statehood. An idea most associated with Hassan Al Banna�s and Syed Qutb�s Ikhwanul Muslimun. So I touched on Jamaluddin Al Afghani.

I don't understand at all what you want to say. Most of the non-Muslims who convert to Islam are struck by the fact that Islam is practised as a way of life and not as a pastime (as they used to practise their religion). Separation of State and religion certainly relagates religion to be practised as a pastime.

Scholars on the study of society long concluded that most of the thoughts on Islamic State are reactions to local problems without a holistic knowledge of the problems of the whole ummah.

Can you please elaborate on that??

I give up now. Your post contained so many insinuations and oblique references that I couldn't understand what you wanted to say. Will it be possible for you to be more forthright and sort of, more self-explanatory, when you write your posts.

ZamanH

An enemy of an enemy is a fickle friend.
There will be more women in hell than men.
..for persecution is worse than the slaughter of the enemy..(Quran 2:191)
Heaven lies under mother's feet
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2005 at 11:44pm

Salaam Nausheen

Haven't seen such a posting for a few years. Islam shuns nationality or any other sovereignity than Human Rights.

blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2005 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

Salaam Nausheen

Haven't seen such a posting for a few years. Islam shuns nationality or any other sovereignity than Human Rights.

I concur. Nationalism has had terrible consequences for the Ummah. Every Muslim nation should put down its flag and pick up the Quran.

hkrespect View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hkrespect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2005 at 9:48am

nationalism that was introduced to muslims by however was evil and is evil.

look at sudan

look at pakistan and bangladesh

look at the arabs fightin turks

kurds fightin everyone

as muslims, our allegiance should lie with islam, then islam, then islam and then islam and only islam.

nationalism takes away allegiance from the shahada to some man made constitution.

hk
alikhlas99 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alikhlas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 8:09am
Masha'Allah, tears formed i my eyes when I read these preceding posts.

"Islam unites nations"

What a beautiful notion!

Mere words cannot describe the love I feel for you, my brothers and sisters. May Allah unite our unworthy hearts once more.

BTW, I myself am a Malay, Malaysian Muslim but I agree with everything  my brother MOCKBA has posted and none that utd4ever  has (May Allah SWT guide you nonetheless, akhi).

Nationalism is rotten.

Edited by alikhlas99
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 2:56pm

Not sure about nationalism, just that I meet many Moslems who put down ther Moslems like:

"Oh those Arabs they are....."

"Those Pakistanis are not good Moslems..."

As if the group represents the individual.

Many of these 'nation-state' boundaries were created during colonialism or post-colonialism. They are false boundries thay gives people wrong identities and focus on the wrong thing  We are all one world.  It does not do anyone any good if one area is doing well economically and another is going through terrible times.

Yes we need organization, local social, economical and political structures. But those should not be our identity as human beings. One problem, in my mind, is that we all seperate more from each other. We lose the inter-connectedness. With technology we should be more connected not less. Nationalism continues that divide.  

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2005 at 4:03pm
When real education (not mentioning "schooling" here) is lacking we stumble into all kinds of pits. Racism and nationalism are just some of those pits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic