IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you define yourself?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you define yourself?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you define yourself?
    Posted: 21 December 2006 at 5:33pm
Salaam,

I understand there are many Muslimahs in the world who choose to wear the Hijab as some sort of religious identity or for chastity. Of course to the non-muslim who is educated in western thinking, the look of the hijab or the niqaab is quite "frightening" and oppressive. But what is even more problematic is women within the Muslim tradition defining themselves based on clothing. The problem with some Muslim women considering themselves as "Hijabi warriors" or whatever seems to be a self-prescribed identification which is exactly the same as what feminist are doing to label our women.

In my humble opinion, Muslim women should not define themselves by what they wear, nor defend their "honor" to others. A woman's chastity, or protection does not come from her hijab, that is a myth. A woman with, or without hijab can be easily raped or sexually assaulted. I find that there are many women here online especially that constantly try to defend why they wear the Hijab and how safe they feel when wearing Hijab, yet, at the same time many Muslimah's would say the greatest protector is Allah.

I know that it is traditon to cover but to what area of the body part is still debateable. I strongly feel our women shouldn't have to define their religious convictions based upon what they wear nor they should be compelled to explain.
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 5:42pm

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Insha'Allah this reaches you in the best of Imaan.

I found this lovely poem on www.soundvision.com and I think it fits right into this topic.

Muslimahs are commanded by Allah(swt) to dress in a certain way and to cover their zinah for protection.

MasSalaama

I am a Muslim woman
by Jenn Zaghloul

I am a Muslim woman
    Feel free to ask me why
    When I walk,
    I walk with dignity
    When I speak
    I do not lie

I am a Muslim woman
    Not all of me you'll see
    But what you should appreciate
    Is that the choice I make is free

I'm not plagued with depression
    I'm neither cheated nor abused
    I don't envy other women
    And I'm certainly not confused

Note, I speak perfect English
    Et un petit peu de Francais aussi
    I'm majoring in Linguistics
    So you need not speak slowly

I run my own small business
    Every cent I earn is mine
    I drive my Chevy to school & work
    And no, that's not a crime!

You often stare as I walk by
    You don't understand my veil
    But peace and power I have found
    As I am equal to any male!

I am a Muslim woman
    So please don't pity me
    For God has guided me to truth
    And now I'm finally free!

(c)1999 Jenn Zaghloul

Umm Abdelkhalek
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 6:00pm
Sister Niqab_ummi,

Thank you for the poem it was nice, but what is your opinion?
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:41pm

As'salamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

I understand there are many Muslimahs in the world who choose to wear the Hijab as some sort of religious identity or for chastity

Women in islam choose to wear Hijab since its a command of Allah {swt}, Its all with this spirit and enthusiasm that, we give priority in wearing hijab.

Of course to the non-muslim who is educated in western thinking, the look of the hijab or the niqaab is quite "frightening" and oppressive

Hijab and Niqaab are different. Hijab is to cover whole body {Except those mentioned to not to be covered } and niqaab is a facelift.  "Frightening and oppressive ----hmm i don't agree,  its only there misconception. Its there problem. But its our responsibilty to explain them and clear there doubts as a part of dawah.

But what is even more problematic is women within the Muslim tradition defining themselves based on clothing. The problem with some Muslim women considering themselves as "Hijabi warriors" or whatever seems to be a self-prescribed identification which is exactly the same as what feminist are doing to label our women.

I can explain these points here but it would be better for me if u explain this point still clearly.

A woman's chastity, or protection does not come from her hijab, that is a myth.

Its not at all a myth, but a fact.

Let me explain u here. I remember this example cited by Dr.Zakir Naik an eminent scholar. Suppose if two women equally beautiful walk down the street. One in islamic Hijaab i.e covered herself except face and hands upto the wrist and the other in her western dress code i.e Mini skirt or short and suppose if a ruffian  who is waiting for a catch, to tease a girl. Whom will he tease? Obviously the girl with the shorts. Whose chastity is protected here ?

I have an other experiment for u if u wish u try out or use ur logic. Take a sweet box. Cover half of it in an other box and leave the remaining open. Which part of the sweet will the flies sit over ? covered or uncovered? 

A woman with, or without hijab can be easily raped or sexually assaulted

This is the statistics i have:

United States of America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries of the world. It also has one of the highest rates of rape in any country in the world. According to a FBI report, in the year 1990, every day on an average 1756 cases of rape were committed in U.S.A alone. Later another report said that on an average everyday 1900 cases of rapes are committed in USA. The year was not mentioned. May be it was 1992 or 1993. May be the Americans got �bolder� in the following years.

I find that there are many women here online especially that constantly try to defend why they wear the Hijab and how safe they feel when wearing Hijab, yet, at the same time many Muslimah's would say the greatest protector is Allah.

Every women who wears hijab considers herselves to be safe and every believer be it man or woman considers Allah as his greatest protector. Why do we lock our doors when leaving our homes? Allah is the greatest protector na. Its a sunnah to be cautious. There's a hadith regarding but i don't remember its narration properly so i drop in here..

O.K Coming to the point women wear hijab for the only reason that its a command from Allah. All these things that they are safe, feel protected etc are the positive effects of hijab.

I know that it is traditon to cover but to what area of the body part is still debateable

Again, its not a tradition bhai,  its all that they follow the command of Allah ta'ala

For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even these parts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of �hijaab�, But it shud not be considered as a matter of debate.

Edited by seekshidayath
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 4:13am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

A woman's chastity, or protection does not come from her hijab, that is a myth.

Its not at all a myth, but a fact.

CORRECTION, it is a myth! 

It never ceases to amaze me how some muslim women keep mentioning this, that covering is some kind of protection from assault. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE COVERED. 

Quote Let me explain u here. I remember this example cited by Dr.Zakir Naik an eminent scholar. Suppose if two women equally beautiful walk down the street. One in islamic Hijaab i.e covered herself except face and hands upto the wrist and the other in her western dress code i.e Mini skirt or short and suppose if a ruffian  who is waiting for a catch, to tease a girl. Whom will he tease? Obviously the girl with the shorts. Whose chastity is protected here ?

When will some muslim women stopping using this or these kind of examples to prove the covering of hijab or niqib for protection. 

mmmm....i must do something wrong when i wear a singlet and shorts  i mean i don't have guys knocking down my door or tease me down the street  

Quote I have an other experiment for u if u wish u try out or use ur logic. Take a sweet box. Cover half of it in an other box and leave the remaining open. Which part of the sweet will the flies sit over ? covered or uncovered? 

Oh please! This example is quite unacceptable. And I will tell you now, that example you used is just the same as when the Australian sheik used uncovered meat left out in the street for cats and caused an uproar especially from muslims both men and women. 

Quote A woman with, or without hijab can be easily raped or sexually assaulted

This is the statistics i have:

United States of America is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries of the world. It also has one of the highest rates of rape in any country in the world. According to a FBI report, in the year 1990, every day on an average 1756 cases of rape were committed in U.S.A alone. Later another report said that on an average everyday 1900 cases of rapes are committed in USA. The year was not mentioned. May be it was 1992 or 1993. May be the Americans got �bolder� in the following years.

Statistics or not, It will not change the fact that being covered will not always protect you.

And every time this issue comes up and i know that a woman should protect herself i really do not dispute that, but at the same time, with muslim it points to the women's fault and showing the above examples as if it is fact when it is not! I don't know if this will ever change but that is what comes through loudly since I've been here. And it really is about time some issues of it or better the mindset to change.

As for western dress code/clothing, trying using long pants/jeans and long sleeve shirts or t.shirts and boots next time, or tracksuits. or scarf and woollen jumpers and gloves and hats in your so called examples. Stop resorting to mini skirts and shorts and singlets or bikinis as if that is all the west has!! Please. Get educated!    

I have noticed that a few muslims don't have that mindset and are in agreement that covering does not always protect and not always the woman's fault. 

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 5:22am

CORRECTION, it is a myth!

Sorry its not correction, Its a hard fact for those people who do not  wear Hijab and oppose it.

It never ceases to amaze me how some muslim women keep mentioning this, that covering is some kind of protection from assault. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE COVERED. 

Not at all, It does matter. Why don't u try it out once?  Or just inerview any of your friends, associates ---. Its certainly a protection from the evil eyes.

mmmm....i must do something wrong when i wear a singlet and shorts  i mean i don't have guys knocking down my door or tease me down the street  

Certainly, u must not be having guys knocking down your door or such, but r u saved from the those evil whispers going on in their hearts ? Howmuchever decent a person may look like or  pious he is, no person can gurantee from the evil whispers of satan.in his heart 

Oh please! This example is quite unacceptable. And I will tell you now, that example you used is just the same as when the Australian sheik used uncovered meat left out in the street for cats and caused an uproar especially from muslims both men and women. 

I did use this example especially with the word sweet. Women in Islam are considered to be delicate and precious.Women is an attractive creation. Be it her appearance ,  voice ----- her every act is attractive.  Look, do we not hide your valuables {Diamonds } in lockers or safes.

Do u leave it as and where?Are u not cautious of it ? Certainly u will be?

Similarly women in ISLAM are considered PRECIOUS AND DELICATE. They are protected both from emotional and physical tortures. They are not suppressed.

Statistics or not, It will not change the fact that being covered will not always protect you

Why don't u present any statistics if u have with u ? Will the risk of covering  is more than uncovered?

Stop resorting to mini skirts and shorts and singlets or bikinis as if that is all the west has!! Please. Get educated!  

I also presented a women who is in hijab walking at the other side, in the same western country. We do have there women dressed modestly. Alhamdullilah

I din 't say that west has all that. Do they wear any dress that covers themselves fully except cloves and face ? what kind of dress do they wear ? Pls let me know.

I have noticed that a few muslims don't have that mindset and are in agreement that covering does not always protect and not always the woman's fault. 

But the risk if uncovered is more?

Lets get into a discussion not a debate.

Edited by seekshidayath
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 5:45am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Israfil- My opinion is that all muslimahs should obey the will of Allah(swt) and to follow with strict adherence the Quran and Sunnah....

With re: to protection with hijab...I read a fantastic article several years ago I wish I could find a link to post it...Mash'Allah the sr. just seemed to hit the nail on the head.

But a very very brief synopsis of part of the article would be when she used a visual comparison she said something to this effect "Put two women walking down the street at the same time with the possibility of being followed or harmed one has a short skirt form fitting clothing hair and makeup looking very fashionable and then you have me a muslimah wearing full Islamic garb covered head to toe....who do you think will draw more attention to their zinah and insight more thoughts of forced crime on a woman....It won't be me covered layer over layer with dress and veil walking confidently down the sidewalk(note- not to imply the other woman wasn't walking with confidence as well)....anyways' I'm sure I didn't do the author justice it was truly a wonderful article but that's the jist of it....

If you stop and think about it Mash'Allah....Allah(swt) has planned and instructed the best path for all muslimahs to follow....Allah(swt) will protect those that serve him and follow his will.....

MasSalaama

Umm Abdelkhalek
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 6:08am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Salaam,

I strongly feel our women shouldn't have to define their religious convictions based upon what they wear nor they should be compelled to explain.

Wa'alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahe wa barakatuhu

I totally agree, we should only define our religion with the laws given to us by our Most Merciful Lord. In this particular case, anybody who chooses to cover herself is solely doing it for the pleasure of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala. Protection im not too sure about, i have seen men staring at a girl with niqab, by that i dont mean stare of hate by western men these days, muslim brothers in a muslim populated country. And also seen protection part as no girls in hijab gets asked out in this western society. People know what she is representing and it does work as a shield. But the main thing is obeying the command of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

There was a research being done recently which shows that prostrating reduces the risk of brain and spinal tumour. So what are we going to label our prayer with now?

Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala does say in Holy Quran that women should cover up to protect her chastity. This is to make her more dignified, give her status of a human being. Her character, intelligence, personality should be more important than her looks. This is because Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala knows nature of His creation. He knows that more powerful always finds ways to manipulate things according to his liking. In this case, the western market is an open example for that, these days they cant even sell a car with out an almost naked lady next to it.

wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic