IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you define yourself?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you define yourself?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2006 at 6:23pm

Seek,

Your post although extensive there were something's I'd like to discuss in length but I don't want to take up much of the attention. It appears we are see-sawing back and forth regarding the clothing issue. When I make a statement if everytime you say "You are under the influence of Western Media" then how can we have a dialogue?

Another problem when conversing with other Muslims especially those against american policies or generally against American society when criticizing their world they say "you are wrong you are under the influence of Western media" I mean, aren't we all somewhat influenced by our collective communities? I mean, I doubt Al-Jazeera is any more objective than CNN but that is besides the point.

I think you sir are seriously mistaken when you say that I'm under the influence of Western Media when  say rape happens in Muslim countries. Look, if men rape other men (both figuratively and literally) then what makes you think other men don't rape women?

There is a slight dellusion for the individual who feels that there is no problems in their country especially if they are involved in the political affairs of the world. Again, my original point was to show that women who define themselves by the xternal portions of themselves, meaning, their clothing then they are doing the same labeling as those who misunderstand Islam are doing....

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2006 at 12:59am

As'salamualaikum,

Herijad and Israfil, went thru few articles today, and yes i agree that  even in muslim dominated countries such nuiscance is happening. Its a sad plight that even those people who know the rules {shareeaah} that would beautify and results in welfare & peace of a society,  break up.

Let me clear, that i did n't say hafya was wrong. Infact i said that since she was in her scarf so it minimised the risk.

Complete �hijaab�, besides the six criteria of clothing, also includes the moral conduct, behaviour, attitude and intention of the individual. A person only fulfilling the criteria of �hijaab� of the clothes is observing �hijaab� in a limited sense. �Hijaab� of the clothes should be accompanied by �hijaab� of the eyes, �hijaab� of the heart, �hijaab� of thought and �hijaab� of intention. It also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks, the way he behaves, etc.

Under the Islamic shariah, a man convicted of having raped a woman, is given capital punishment. Just imagine if this punishment is introduced then will not the rate get reduced?

And sir, let me tell u i don't trust the media very much. For example here in India, at a place Gujrat, whatever happened not even  2 % of it shown to us.Men were burnt and women massely raped.They were killed then What could they do. Neither there inner or outer appearance did work. Or whatever has happened in Bosnia -- these are exceptions. And the media here be it even daily newspapers did n't cover , except  few papers which were owned by muslims. And when, people migrated from Gujrat to our place, only did we knew all that in detail. And believe me those people were not lieing. How can 100s of people lie altogether.After listening to t hem every eye did flow tears. Even now i grudge the man and his party responsible and feel like to just smash him. What i mean to say that media speaks of dominated people only.  There are very few probably countable in single digits only who show the true picture.
I mentioned western media though i knew few channels who really show the true picture, i did not want to mention those two names who always suppress islam. For example take the case of Taliban. When we hear this word we imagine brutal men trying to impose those rules but the inner story is completely different. Earlier i used to hate them but now i hate those who hate Taliban.   If u had gone thru the story of Ridley as how she embraced islam and her views before and after islam , u will get an idea of media's influence over our minds.Though its not possible for all of us to go there in Afghanistan and see whats happening ---

Again, my original point was to show that women who define themselves by the xternal portions of themselves, meaning, their clothing then they are doing the same labeling as those who misunderstand Islam are doing....
We need a labeling Israfil. Its needed. Apart from faith, it brings trust too. For example i would not like to listen  to a sermon of a lady who is half naked. I would trust a lady who is in hijab. Since the first thought on a common man when sees both of them is this lady is religious and she is not. Though its the faith within heart thats accounted but appearance is also needed {And this appearance shud be intended only for the sake of Allah only}, I would like to learn from the one who is religious and does follow her religion. I refers to a common man. Just think over it. I know a case wherein a woman from London get married to a Pakistani, but this man was n't religious. This lady was very much intrrested in Islam and she after a long search preferred to meet a lady amongst a group of ladies {Most of them without hijab}, She met the one who was in hijab and discussed of islam and within few weeks embraced islam. Did the label not work out here?
What type of labelling does a person who misunderstands islam do? I did n't understand that.
Lets try our best to follow islam completely and thus influence. If the driver is not learnt we cannot blame the car for accidents na. Lets learn and teach people thru our acts to drive , as we are been blessed by  the best model and best service car. Happy Driving.
Am extremely sorry for all those whom i hurted in this process of  posts, but i just led my opinions.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Brother Peacemaker just one point to address from what you stated:

So even if a woman who dresses immodestly is she partially at fault for being raped? I mean, that would be insensitive to say tha wouldn't it? I'm capable of committing murder and if someone kills a member of my family I have the choice to commit murder but because I choose to retaliate does that make me a victim of what I was previously feeling? No. The law will not see me as a victim it will punish me although the sentencing would be decided if the act was premiditated or not. The point clearly is that yes Islamic dress code is to observed but my point is that we shouldn't define ourselves by what we wear as we seem to have been doing. This has not been discussed

Assalamu Alaikum,

Brother, in my humble opinion, I can not make any judgement, regardless of her dress, on a Sister who has been raped, who already, I think, has been hurt in such an inhumane way. I can only pray for her well being here and hereafter; besides this opinion of mine, I think that her case should be determined by the judge that would depend on many factors such as if Shariah law is the law of the land. If she was wearing immodest dress, all I can say that she was not wearing proper Islamic dress at the time the incident took place that can easily be verified by looking at Qur�anic verses; I will quote more below besides those posted in my last post.

Qur�an: 007.026
YUSUFALI: O ye Children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover your shame, as well as to be an adornment to you. But the raiment of righteousness,- that is the best. Such are among the Signs of Allah, that they may receive admonition!
PICKTHAL: O Children of Adam! We have revealed unto you raiment to conceal your shame, and splendid vesture, but the raiment of restraint from evil, that is best. This is of the revelations of Allah, that they may remember.
SHAKIR: O children of Adam! We have indeed sent down to you clothing to cover your shame, and (clothing) for beauty and clothing that guards (against evil), that is the best. This is of the communications of Allah that they may be mindful.

Qur�an: 033.059
YUSUFALI: O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: O Prophet! say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers that they let down upon them their over-garments; this will be more proper, that they may be known, and thus they will not be given trouble; and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

The point is what preventive measures are in place to make the society safer, from Islamic point of view, as far as women�s honor is concerned, and are we adhering to them or not? Even after proper adherence such terrible things happen to a woman, she at least did her part to take care of herself, and she will not be held accountable for that.

Since women�s honor and rights have very important position in Islam, shouldn�t the emphasis be placed on how to protect them? Well, it doesn�t necessarily mean that once you practice modest dress code, you have ticket to enter heaven; but, yes, I think, modest dress code, looking at Islamic texts, has an important position that can not, and should not be undermined.

Islam is a complete way of life. Faith, piety, generosity, righteousness, humbleness, modesty, and so many other traits shape our personality as a Muslim or Muslimah. No single trait is enough to define one, nor should anyone define oneself just by that.

Allah knows best.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic