IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you define yourself?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you define yourself?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 6:15am
We see nuns respected in christianity. They cover themselves very well. Even wear scarfs. What do u say of it? They are out of respect called as "sisters". ----
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
niqab_ummi View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niqab_ummi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 6:27am

Assalamu'Alaikum,

Fatimah said-Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala does say in Holy Quran that women should cover up to protect her chastity. This is to make her more dignified, give her status of a human being. Her character, intelligence, personality should be more important than her looks. This is because Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala knows nature of His creation. He knows that more powerful always finds ways to manipulate things according to his liking. In this case, the western market is an open example for that, these days they cant even sell a car with out an almost naked lady next to it.

JAZAK ALLAHU KHAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Umm Abdelkhalek
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 8:02am
Originally posted by seekshidayath seekshidayath wrote:

CORRECTION, it is a myth!

Sorry its not correction, Its a hard fact for those people who do not  wear Hijab and oppose it.

shows how much you need to learn.

You think I don't know what i am talking about or can't handle the facts.

Why can't you handle the fact that being covered does not always protect you.

Again it is a myth to think and believe that being covered is protection from assault.

Quote It never ceases to amaze me how some muslim women keep mentioning this, that covering is some kind of protection from assault. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU ARE COVERED. 

Not at all, It does matter. Why don't u try it out once?  Or just inerview any of your friends, associates ---. Its certainly a protection from the evil eyes.

What makes you think I haven't ?? or know others??

I think it is quite presumptous and inconsiderate of you or anyone to say something like that, how do you know you are not talking to someone who may have been assaulted and was fully clothed ???. It's nothing but an insult. So please do not ask "why don't you try it out once"! BECAUSE YOU MAY NEVER KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! 

And very importantly, if someone slips you a drug of some sort, especially those date rape drugs, then being covered will not protect since you will be out of it, the guy can undress you and do whatever he wants! SO don't tell me that being covered gives you protection from assault!

And NO I do not need to interview anyone, I KNOW it is a fact and it doesn't matter if you are covered.

Actually being covered gives more to the imagination than not being covered, it leaves one to wonder what is underneath & what they look like, when one sees skin often it becomes a bit boring and unimagiantive.

You know something, if i went to the ME i would cover up, because i wouldn't trust the men. The men there or at least in some parts don't get to see skin often, and become a bit enthusatic especially with white skin. Nor would i want to be left alone.

Quote ummmm....i must do something wrong when i wear a singlet and shorts  i mean i don't have guys knocking down my door or tease me down the street  

Certainly, u must not be having guys knocking down your door or such, but r u saved from the those evil whispers going on in their hearts ? Howmuchever decent a person may look like or  pious he is, no person can gurantee from the evil whispers of satan.in his heart

As I pointed out above, being covered can leave much to the imagination so don't think that because you are covered you are saved from those evil whispers going on in their hearts.

Quote Oh please! This example is quite unacceptable. And I will tell you now, that example you used is just the same as when the Australian sheik used uncovered meat left out in the street for cats and caused an uproar especially from muslims both men and women. 

I did use this example especially with the word sweet.

so that's suppose to make it alright then, using the word sweet ???

Quote Women in Islam are considered to be delicate and precious.Women is an attractive creation. Be it her appearance ,  voice ----- her every act is attractive.  Look, do we not hide your valuables {Diamonds } in lockers or safes. Do u leave it as and where?Are u not cautious of it ? Certainly u will be?

Similarly women in ISLAM are considered PRECIOUS AND DELICATE. They are protected both from emotional and physical tortures. They are not suppressed.

I never said not to protect yourself, did I ??

Quote Statistics or not, It will not change the fact that being covered will not always protect you

Why don't u present any statistics if u have with u ? Will the risk of covering  is more than uncovered?

As I mentioned, statistics or not.....

Quote Stop resorting to mini skirts and shorts and singlets or bikinis as if that is all the west has!! Please. Get educated!  

I also presented a women who is in hijab walking at the other side, in the same western country. We do have there women dressed modestly. Alhamdullilah

I din 't say that west has all that. Do they wear any dress that covers themselves fully except cloves and face ? what kind of dress do they wear ? Pls let me know.

I just gave you a bit of a list of clothes in previous post. The clothes vary BUT it's not all shorts, mini skirts and bikinis.

Quote I have noticed that a few muslims don't have that mindset and are in agreement that covering does not always protect and not always the woman's fault. 

But the risk if uncovered is more?

I'm not getting into this is more or less such and such, it is quite irrevelent here on this issue.

Quote Lets get into a discussion not a debate.

A discussion where i agree that being covered always protects you, no thanks  

I speak from experience and observation.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 8:26am

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

I strongly feel our women shouldn't have to define their religious convictions based upon what they wear nor they should be compelled to explain.

I will agree too.

I know in some religions there is a dress code,(not forgetting islam   ) but religion is much more than that. I don't think the Amish lets their dress code define them.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Hanan View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 8:28am

Hold fast to the rope of Allah, and be not divided

Edited by Hanan
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 10:10am

Salaams and Bismillah,

Brother Israfil.  Not meaning to enter this debate, but to answer your question.  Although, really at first I have to ask that Seekshadith not post any of that uncovered candy garbage again.  Just go back and read what a fool that sheikh in Austraila made of himself and how the good Muslims fired him for uttering such foolish comments.

My opinion is that good behavior is governed by our hearts, men and women.  Covering up for men and women helps the weaker ones of us or those who are feeling weak in faith during tough times.  Because the really strong avert our gazes, right?  So covering isn't scary, it's fine.  And uncovering in and of itself isn't scary either.  The culture of uncovering does encourage promiscuity more than the culture of coverning and modest clothing.

Still, true, sincere modesty comes from the heart first, which governs our actions.  ISA we can encourage one another to improve on this to have a varied, but strong Islaamic community that interacts with each other and the rest of the world based on respect and reverence for life.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2006 at 12:36pm

If covering made women "safer" then women in hijab could walk down the streets of any country at any time of night and be safe. We know that is not true. If you are a woman do you not also lock your house and car doors? Do you avoid going out at certain times? Why is that?  Because there are some men out there who are predators. Predators value hurting people, some especially women. How you dress does NOT protect you.

Hijab can to a degree protect you from certain types of stares but it does not protect you from violence.  In the United States well over half of assaults on women are perpetrated by someone they know, not the stranger out of the bushes.  So it if often done by predators with the opportunity to hurt someone.

And in many Moslem countries one cannot get accurate statistics for assault as for many women they will be accused of zina if they report a rape so many do keep silent. Though to a degree if you live in a more gender segregated society there are fewer opportunities one could say but then most of the violence is perpetrated by the men in their lives (same as here) which these women will be in contact with again. Would that not be worse?

Israfil, I think you are right in that we tend to want to define women especially by the way they dress. It is true of women all over.. maybe it is the pettiness that we tend to define our lives. It is truly a waste of time.. but we engage in it anyways..

In a way, some may wear it sort of as a �statement.� But really no one can really know can we? I guess it goes along with presuming motivation onto people.  

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2006 at 4:42pm

Wow,

Hey guys please don't fight here, this is serious to me!

I respect brother Seek for his point of view, and though we don't agree please let us refrain from draining our emotions here. I definitely understand some of the point of views here that I will definitely address in length tomorrow. For the time being allow me to let you all ponder what my intention was when I said that "the protection of hijab is a myth."

When I said that I mean that although we know that Muslim women who wear "Islamic clothing" known through their style of garb and what not. Of course women in Muslim dominated countries who wear Hijab or Niqaab are known by other women and know that non-married men are not supposed to gaze at Muslimahs. Yes we all KNOW this.

But the problem is not our knowledge it is our action.!!!!!!

A rapist knows (at least one who is rational and can differentiate between right and wrong) possibly knows rape is wrong but does it because of some sick distorted lust to dominate and oppress a woman. Using American statistics does not prove that women in Hijab are any safer than a woman who carries a taser in her purse. The Hijab as I see it is a symbol of a woman's religious convictions. But because there are some men out there that are predators they don't care about that symbol they only care about their loins. I pray to God I never see a man take advantage of a woman in my life time!

I know for many Muslimahs they feel protect by the Hijab and that is fine. But there is none to protect you except the Creator. I know many women personally who have been raped. I know Muslimahs who have been raped. Like Sister Herjihad said we are defined not by the external parts of ourselves but by our hearts and our actions. That is what God desires and that is in our nature. I hope my explanation helps....Feel free to bicker when I leave...LOL J/k

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic