IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > World Politics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - America and Colonial Imperialism  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

America and Colonial Imperialism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lovetabuleh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovetabuleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: America and Colonial Imperialism
    Posted: 23 July 2006 at 9:26am

WoW usama,  that was VERY interesting.  i'm a total history-illiterate individual here and i think this gave me a step forward on becoming literate in it.

I never could remembered much about our history. probably because my history teacher's patriotic lessons in high school never gave me another side of the story and I new that that perspective was an exaggeration of 'our pride'. I didn't take them in. I just swallowed the teach's words but never digested it.  later on during ma life, i could't put my nose in an history book bcz it was too informational and also I didn't feel it gave me the right perspective to view it through.  i think i'm sceptical of our history books and i tend to avoid reading them when i can.

your explanations now gave me a clear and concise picture of America and it's dealings.  I understand quite well and inshallah when i come across a discussion on an historical topic abt America among friends, i'll keep your words in mind and view it through that perspective.

jazakallahu khairan!

usama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 5:36am

BTW, there is a difference between a state and an empire. A state annexes a region and includes as an equal to other regions. For Islamic history, there were Islamic states which annexed regions BUT included them as equal to other regions.

An empire has a 'motherland' around which all other regions are subservient. So a region will be 'annexed' only to serve the 'motherland'. The resources of the annexed region will go to serve the 'motherland'.  The annexed people may recieve some things, but nothing comparable to what they are forced to give.

Obviously, America could simply welcome the entire world to join its 'republic'.  Thus, everyone would have Congressmen, have a vote, etc.  But this concept is discouraged.  Woudl El Salvador TODAY like to join the American republic?

Let there arise from amongst you a group inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and they are the successful ones. Al Imran:104
usama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 5:26am

Some nations today have literally no physical capability of existing outside of the American empire given their tiny geography. The list of these obvious states dependent on the American empire: South Korea, Panama, Kuwait, Tiawan, Israel. There are others, but these best exemplify the concept.

States which serve American empire but could theoretically exist outside of the empire were they to acquire independence: Egypt, Pakistan, Turkey, Colombia, perhaps Saudi Arabia, Nigeria.

States that it is doubtful they could exist outside of the American empire given their proximity to America or their vulnerable geographical composition: Mexico,  perhaps Saudi Arabia.

States which have independence but choose to capitulate to American primacy: India, China, Russia. 

In each area, there are more states, and there are several categories which bridge each other. For example, Canada, by proximity, could not withstand American power. Itse population is too small and its border too vast. However, Canada is awarded a certain degree of freedom by America in exchange for compliance with vital matters such as natural resources, commerce, joint security.    

Let there arise from amongst you a group inviting to all that is good, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and they are the successful ones. Al Imran:104
usama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 5:13am

Greetings.

There are different forms of imperialism.  One should first establish a meaning for 'empire' and 'imperialism'. 'Empire' is derived from the latin word imperium: mastery to rule, supreme power, sphere of control or monopoly;  and the middle english empery: absolute dominion, sovereignty.  'Empire' is defined as a group of nations or peoples ruled over by an emperor, or other powerful sovereign or government, usually a territory of greater extent than a kingdom, as in the British empire... 'Imperialism' is defined as "the policy to extend the rule or authority of an empire or nation over foreign countries, or of acquiring and holding colonies or dependencies. 2. Advocacy of imperial interests."  Those are linguistic definitions.

The political, or conceptual definitions could be found in Machiavelli's The Prince wherein it is stated how a state can gain 'authority' over other states or people by either direct rule by force and installing someone from the state, or by making such a people subordinate but bringing to power indigenous rulers that will serve the empire but rule by their own laws. The former connotes colonialism, the latter connotes establishing people into their own 'nations' and bringing out of them rulers that will serve the empire.

The latter is the American way: forming people into 'nations' and bringing out of them rulers that will serve America. The Monroe Doctrine back in 1811 essentially said America will have free reign of the western hemisphere.  I recall reading that in as early as 1790, Salvador requested to join the American republic, but of course was turned down by the Congress. Ever since the Monroe doctrine, America has acted in Latin America to form 'nations' to serve America's empire. Most notably, America supported Panamanian independence from Colombia, itself a powerful state in South America at the time. Colombia eventually was carved up several more times. But Panamanian independence was insured by American military force as long as Panama enabled America to carve the Panama canal and establish a military force their for 90 years. Colombia originally owned and controlled the region of Panama. But America determined it to be the best location to form a canal. Since the French failed to do so for the Colombians, America sparked its the Panamian revolt. In retrospect, I wonder if France and America made a deal so France would intentionally fail to make the canal in turn, America would given something to France. I wonder.

In any case, America's empire is global. Today, it definitely includes Iraq. But also Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan.  It doesn't have to be about military forces on the ground, though they definitely reflect imperial interests.  It largely has to do with a sphere of action so that a foreign government advances  American interests superceding her own people's interests and a foreign government not acting outside that sphere.    

Escobar View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 9:23pm

Of course America is imperialist...

it was built on imperialism...

DAMN THIS SITE IS SO DEAD!!!!

s666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 7:09am
Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

you guys call gasoline "pertol" in Australia?

gasoline is called petrol in pakistan and india also bro.
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 6:50am
Originally posted by bargey bargey wrote:

petrol, you idiot. petrolium gasoline. The same kind we mix with soap to make the napalm we dropped on the pitiful republican guard.

sorry havnet left north pole for long time.
bargey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bargey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 6:34am
petrol, you idiot. petrolium gasoline. The same kind we mix with soap to make the napalm we dropped on the pitiful republican guard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic