IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "If you believe in freedom of speech, ...  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 8:21am

In my opinion nothing is free....

Since we have laws which govern things how can we saying something is truly free? In my opinion we have the "little space" to move in society, hence speech is the little room to move in.

amanzar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 1:02pm

Salaam,

Freedom of speech is taken for granted.  It is a valuable freedom, which if used with discretion (as someone stated earlier), it is an intrinsically valuable asset.  Freedom of speech doesn't mean go out and curse everything 'because you can', and if someone does act in such a way, they're level of maturity is challenging a 3-year old.  It means, rather, that everyone has the right to speak out.  And when I say discretion, I mean that one should only speak out if they find it necessary to do so.

No, I don't think someone has the right to insult religion. I do, however, think that every person has the right to criticize. It's how we learn.

Edited by amanzar
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 3:54pm

Bismillah,

Ameen, Sister Amah.

We are also free not to speak, AngelD.  It's called discretion.

He blesses some to just teach and inspire us all the time!

Absolutely.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 3:59pm

So does this mean you agree people should be able to make cartoons of whatever they want?

Yes, we can ever and only act within our own capacities, it's terribly hard for the filty to escape their filth and the simmering ailment to offend the naturally better endowed.

That's a sheer law of life.

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2006 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by ops154 ops154 wrote:

Originally posted by Angeldesire Angeldesire wrote:

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...you should believe it for those views you don't like."

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

So does this mean you agree people should be able to make cartoons of whatever they want?

Just as people are free to slander at will, call people denigrating names based on their race or ethnicity, lie about what other people have done, and spread malicious and counterproductive gossip, should they be allowed to mock and denigrate a person based on their religious beliefs. Whether by cartoon, media mania, or word of mouth.

Edited by Mishmish
It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
saja91 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saja91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 7:59am

or if you dont have anything nice to say.. just wait for the moderators to shut down or edit the thread =) hahaha

lol thats what i was trying to say

abuhamzah View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuhamzah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Angeldesire Angeldesire wrote:

"If you believe in freedom of speech, ...you should believe it for those views you don't like."

Comment!!!!!!!!!!!

yes allah allows for freedom of speech.  he tells us to handle it by simply saying peace to the evil ones that would say things about god and his prophet.

also, he reminds us several times that there are those who will hide the truth.  you do that thru speech, writing, cajoling, jewing or any other method.

so yes we believe in freedom of speech.  just watch what you say, as everything is recorded in a clear book.  that's what makes you responsible and is of course a high form of piety.\

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic