IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - internet addiction  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

internet addiction

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Colin Colin wrote:

Salman, I'll tell you my little secret...I'm actually half man and half computer... I have special patented bionic USB interface terminals that run from my feet via cables to the back of my PC. So you see, with me is not simply a matter of internet addiction...I've tried getting away from my machine but just end up sprawled on the floor in a tangled mess of wires and sockets.  

COLIN stands for: Computer Operated Linked Intelligence Node

Don't tell Bill Gates or he'll send out his spies in order to rip off my cutting edge technological functionality....

Colin, i suggest you start a company which manufactures robots.

i think your business may work well in that field.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 5:58am

Assalamu alaikum Salman,

I would only call it internet "addiction" if the person is on the net so much that other areas of life are becoming ignored or not done.  For example, if the person is missing salat, forgets to read Qur'an, gets behind in their work, doesn't take time for fresh air and exercise, and so on. 

I don't believe just being on the net everyday constitutes an addiction.  It is only when other areas of life suffer that too much internet is not a good thing!  As with everything in life: moderation is the key!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Colin View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:03am
Originally posted by salman salman wrote:

Salman, I'll tell you my little secret...I'm actually half man and half computer... I have special patented bionic USB interface terminals that run from my feet via cables to the back of my PC. So you see, with me is not simply a matter of internet addiction...I've tried getting away from my machine but just end up sprawled on the floor in a tangled mess of wires and sockets.  

Don't tell Bill Gates or he'll send out his spies in order to rip off my cutting edge technological functionality....

Good idea Salman....can you loan me about a million dollars in start-up capital? :---)

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 8:56pm

Assalamu Alailkum

Sister Ummziba, you are absolutely right.  That is the way any addiction is determined.  How it affects your life overall.  Is it causing you to avoid doing the important things in life?  Are you not doing other rewarding things in your life that used to be rewarding in a positive way?  As a person who has no Ummah, I do use the net everyday to stay in touch with other Muslims and to learn about Islam.  Alhamadulillah I have the internet because if I didn't have it, I might not have entered Islam yet.  Only Allah knows best.

Colin...

Allah Hafiz

Sister Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
ak_m_f View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ak_m_f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 9:12pm
i say up all night on this forum to read replies, I dont eat nor sleep, and I am depressed

is it normal?
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by ak_m_f ak_m_f wrote:

i say up all night on this forum to read replies, I dont eat nor sleep, and I am depressed

is it normal?

Well if its affecting you to that extent......

I'd say you are addicted to this forum and cannot live without knowing what is being said here, THAN being addicted to the internet

Do you have work or school to go to in the day, how are you doing in that, if not good then I suggest that you stop with the all nighter with reading

You have put you body clock at of whack that is why you are feeling depressed, here.

Is really, I mean really important that you have to read ALL replies?

Or are you worried that you are going to miss out on somethng so you keep going with the reading and may reply ? I myself was doing that for a bit but then I realise well I do not have to with Everything, this was in the earlier days but I don't do that anymore, if something happens it happens, there is no need to attend everything

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
salman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 10:54pm

Good idea Salman....can you loan me about a million dollars in start-up capital? :---)

Colin, is U.S. economy on the decline?

I thought americans were rich in terms of economy.

you are asking an Indian for a million dollar loan, that surprises me.

It is better to be alone than to be in bad company.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 11:01pm

Colin, is U.S. economy on the decline?

I thought americans were rich in terms of economy.

What makes you think Colin is an american ?

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic