IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Quran tells about Religion of Ibraham  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Quran tells about Religion of Ibraham

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzhyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Quran tells about Religion of Ibraham
    Posted: 20 April 2018 at 2:09pm
Religion of Ibrahim

Undoubtedly there are many religions in the world existing today and also a growing number of people not following any religion. What does Al-Quran say about following a religion and which one? We will see shortly in the light of Ayas/Signs of the Book.

The word for religion in Arabic is ‘Millat’. There is another word which is commonly understood to mean religion i.e ‘Din’. However, the context in which ‘Din’ is used in the Book is ‘judgment’ and not religion.

God instructs every one to follow the religion of Ibrahim in Ayat 95 of Sura 3 Ale Imran.

3:95: قُلْ صَدَقَ اللّهُ فَاتَّبِعُواْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Say. Allah speaks the Truth, so you all, follow the religion of Ibrahim, the true in faith; he was not of the Polytheists.”

Then God inspired the Messenger to follow the religion of Ibrahim in Aya 123 of Sura 16:

16:123ثُمَّ �£َوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ �£َنِ اتَّبِعْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Then We inspired thee (Mohammad), Follow the religion of Abraham the True in Faith, and he was not from the Polytheists.”

The Messenger confirms that God has guided him to the straight path of the religion of Ibrahim in Ayat 161 of Sura 6 Al-Inam.

6:161

قُلْ إِنَّنِي هَدَانِي رَبِّي إِلَى صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ دِينًا قِيَمًا مِّلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Say : Surely my Lord has guided me to a straight path a judgment established; the Millat (Religion) of true IBRAHIM(Abraham) and he was not from the polytheists.”

Was this inspiration to follow the the religion of Ibrahim or any other order from the Lord, a new instruction for Messenger and people? or the same religion and practice was asked to be followed which was the religion and practice of all previous messengers? The following three Ayas will shed light on this question:

41:43

مَا يُقَالُ لَكَ إِلَّا مَا قَدْ قِيلَ لِلرُّسُلِ مِن قَبْلِكَ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ لَذُو مَغْفِرَةٍ وَذُو عِقَابٍ �£َلِيمٍ

“Nothing is said to You (Mohammad) that was not said to the Messengers before you: verily your Lord has at his Command (all) forgiveness as well as the most Grievous vengeance.”

46:9

قُلْ مَا كُنتُ بِدْعًا مِّنْ الرُّسُلِ وَمَا �£َدْرِي مَا يُفْعَلُ بِي وَلَا بِكُمْ إِنْ �£َتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحَى إِلَيَّ وَمَا �£َنَا إِلَّا نَذِيرٌ مُّبِينٌ

“Say (O’ Mohammad) “I am no bringer of new doctrine among the Messengers, nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a Warner open and clear.”

42:13

شَرَعَ لَكُم مِّنَ الدِّينِ مَا وَصَّى بِهِ نُوحًا وَالَّذِي �£َوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ وَمَا وَصَّيْنَا بِهِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَى وَعِيسَى �£َنْ �£َقِيمُوا الدِّينَ وَلَا تَتَفَرَّقُوا فِيهِ كَبُرَ عَلَى الْمُشْرِكِينَ مَا تَدْعُوهُمْ إِلَيْهِ اللَّهُ يَجْتَبِي إِلَيْهِ مَن يَشَاء وَيَهْدِي إِلَيْهِ مَن يُنِيبُ

“The same Shariat/Way has He established for you all which He enjoined on Nooh ( Noah) – that  We have sent by inspiration to you (Mohammad) – and that which We enjoined on Ibrahim ( Abraham), Moosa ( Moses), and Essa (Jesus):  that you should remain steadfast in Din/Judgement, and make no differentiations therein: to those who join others with Allah, hard is the (way) to which you call them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).”

After you have made it your judgement to adopt the religion of Ibrahim, God names you ‘Muslim’ as stated Aya 78 of Sura Haj

22:78

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ مِّلَّةَ �£َبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمينَ مِن قَبْلُ وَفِي هَذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاء عَلَى النَّاسِ فَ�£َقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَى وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

“And you strive in Allah as is the right of striving in Him. He has chosen you and He has made no difficulty over you in the Din/Judgment ; The religion of your Father Ibraheem. And He has named you muslim from before and in this, so the Messenger (Rasool) be a witness over you and you be a witness over mankind. Then establish Salat/Prayer and give justification (zakah) and hold fast with Allah. He is your Protector (Maula) so He is the blessed Protector and the blessed Helper”

Peace maker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by ajzhyder ajzhyder wrote:

Religion of Ibrahim

Undoubtedly there are many religions in the world existing today and also a growing number of people not following any religion. What does Al-Quran say about following a religion and which one? We will see shortly in the light of Ayas/Signs of the Book.

The word for religion in Arabic is ‘Millat’. There is another word which is commonly understood to mean religion i.e ‘Din’. However, the context in which ‘Din’ is used in the Book is ‘judgment’ and not religion.

God instructs every one to follow the religion of Ibrahim in Ayat 95 of Sura 3 Ale Imran.

3:95: قُلْ صَدَقَ اللّهُ فَاتَّبِعُواْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Say. Allah speaks the Truth, so you all, follow the religion of Ibrahim, the true in faith; he was not of the Polytheists.”

Then God inspired the Messenger to follow the religion of Ibrahim in Aya 123 of Sura 16:

16:123ثُمَّ �£َوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ �£َنِ اتَّبِعْ مِلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Then We inspired thee (Mohammad), Follow the religion of Abraham the True in Faith, and he was not from the Polytheists.”

The Messenger confirms that God has guided him to the straight path of the religion of Ibrahim in Ayat 161 of Sura 6 Al-Inam.

قُلْ إِنَّنِي هَدَانِي رَبِّي إِلَى صِرَاطٍ مُّسْتَقِيمٍ دِينًا قِيَمًا مِّلَّةَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ حَنِيفًا وَمَا كَانَ مِنَ الْمُشْرِكِينَ

“Say : Surely my Lord has guided me to a straight path a judgment established; the Millat (Religion) of true IBRAHIM(Abraham) and he was not from the polytheists.”

Was this inspiration to follow the the religion of Ibrahim or any other order from the Lord, a new instruction for Messenger and people? or the same religion and practice was asked to be followed which was the religion and practice of all previous messengers? The following three Ayas will shed light on this question:

مَا يُقَالُ لَكَ إِلَّا مَا قَدْ قِيلَ لِلرُّسُلِ مِن قَبْلِكَ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ لَذُو مَغْفِرَةٍ وَذُو عِقَابٍ �£َلِيمٍ

“Nothing is said to You (Mohammad) that was not said to the Messengers before you: verily your Lord has at his Command (all) forgiveness as well as the most Grievous vengeance.”

قُلْ مَا كُنتُ بِدْعًا مِّنْ الرُّسُلِ وَمَا �£َدْرِي مَا يُفْعَلُ بِي وَلَا بِكُمْ إِنْ �£َتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحَى إِلَيَّ وَمَا �£َنَا إِلَّا نَذِيرٌ مُّبِينٌ

“Say (O’ Mohammad) “I am no bringer of new doctrine among the Messengers, nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a Warner open and clear.”

شَرَعَ لَكُم مِّنَ الدِّينِ مَا وَصَّى بِهِ نُوحًا وَالَّذِي �£َوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ وَمَا وَصَّيْنَا بِهِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَى وَعِيسَى �£َنْ �£َقِيمُوا الدِّينَ وَلَا تَتَفَرَّقُوا فِيهِ كَبُرَ عَلَى الْمُشْرِكِينَ مَا تَدْعُوهُمْ إِلَيْهِ اللَّهُ يَجْتَبِي إِلَيْهِ مَن يَشَاء وَيَهْدِي إِلَيْهِ مَن يُنِيبُ

“The same Shariat/Way has He established for you all which He enjoined on Nooh ( Noah) – that  We have sent by inspiration to you (Mohammad) – and that which We enjoined on Ibrahim ( Abraham), Moosa ( Moses), and Essa (Jesus):  that you should remain steadfast in Din/Judgement, and make no differentiations therein: to those who join others with Allah, hard is the (way) to which you call them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him).”

After you have made it your judgement to adopt the religion of Ibrahim, God names you ‘Muslim’ as stated Aya 78 of Sura Haj

وَجَاهِدُوا فِي اللَّهِ حَقَّ جِهَادِهِ هُوَ اجْتَبَاكُمْ وَمَا جَعَلَ عَلَيْكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ مِنْ حَرَجٍ مِّلَّةَ �£َبِيكُمْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ هُوَ سَمَّاكُمُ الْمُسْلِمينَ مِن قَبْلُ وَفِي هَذَا لِيَكُونَ الرَّسُولُ شَهِيدًا عَلَيْكُمْ وَتَكُونُوا شُهَدَاء عَلَى النَّاسِ فَ�£َقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَآتُوا الزَّكَاةَ وَاعْتَصِمُوا بِاللَّهِ هُوَ مَوْلَاكُمْ فَنِعْمَ الْمَوْلَى وَنِعْمَ النَّصِيرُ

“And you strive in Allah as is the right of striving in Him. He has chosen you and He has made no difficulty over you in the Din/Judgment ; The religion of your Father Ibraheem. And He has named you muslim from before and in this, so the Messenger (Rasool) be a witness over you and you be a witness over mankind. Then establish Salat/Prayer and give justification (zakah) and hold fast with Allah. He is your Protector (Maula) so He is the blessed Protector and the blessed Helper”

Can you define this for me.

I am happy to see that we worshipped the same God.
ajzhyder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzhyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2018 at 4:49am
It means that all Messengers of God bring the exact same message from God. God does not give any messenger a different message or a different book.

People after they get some knowledge start differing with each other and form different groups. Each group adheres to some concepts and make their own books and they take great pride in what they have

Interesting reading on what is meant by the term 'Ahlal Kitab' in the Book in below post:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2018 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by ajzhyder ajzhyder wrote:

Religion of Ibrahim

Let me help you out here Abram did not have a religion he had a relationship with God.
If Abram was a muslim then all the jews must be muslims and Isreal been an islamic state, and the world would have already been dominated by muslims then there wouldn't be the need of any other prophet after Abram.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 5:25am
According to the bible Abram's priest/king/prophet was Melchizedek. Part of Jesus' purpose was establishing Jesus as the new priest/prophet/king in the Order of Melchizedek.

There is extensive speculation about this, but the only safe conclusion is that the bible states there was a true religion prior to Abraham and Mosaic Hebrewism.
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
JerryMyers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerryMyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Peace maker Peace maker wrote:

Let me help you out here Abram did not have a religion he had a relationship with God.
If Abram was a muslim then all the jews must be muslims and Isreal been an islamic state, and the world would have already been dominated by muslims then there wouldn't be the need of any other prophet after Abram.

You are right – there’s no such thing as ‘a religion’ or ‘a Muslim’ or ‘a Christian’ in the time of Abraham or Jesus – what they had was a relationship with God.

However, Islam by definition means submission to the Will of God and a Muslim is one who do and submit to the Will of God. In other words, the name does not define who you are, BUT, the action does. So when Jesus said “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” – Matthew 7:21, he’s actually saying only the Muslims (those who do the Will of God) will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Did Abraham and Jesus do and submit themselves to the Will of God ? Yes, they did, so, by definition, they are Muslims.

ajzhyder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajzhyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the good inputs.
However, a question comes to mind that, why God would send different prophets with different religions. Shouldn't God's intended message to mankind remain the same through-out? Is it possible that God sent all messengers with one intended message, but after a Messenger left the world, the villains of religions, hid the real message and put forth a distorted form of the real teachings.

I came to understand certain terms used in Quran which are conceived otherwise by many people.
E.g Al-Islam means the Peace. The word 'Al-Islam' is not used as religion in Quran but means 'the Peace'. Quran asks it followers to follow the religion of Abraham. As for their judgment/decisions it asks them to follow Al-Islam/The Peace.  (Ironically many of the people who label themselves 'Muslim', think highly of holy wars. This is mainly due to the fact that what is taught to them mostly is out of Quran)

Similarly Muslims are not meant as followers of religion of Islam, but actually means 'Submitters' to the orders of Allah.

Deen/Din means Judgment in Quran.
The word for religion is 'Millat' in Arabic.

So this statement in Quran ' When Allah orders that the Judgment (Din) in the nearness of Allah is Al-Islam, it should mean that when confronted with any situation in life, one should always take that decision which leads to peace and security.
Although it is commonly understood to mean that Religion in the nearness of Allah is Islam.

Quran mentions several groups of people with certain names or labels, such as Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc. When Al-Kitab introduces these labels it also gives behaviors and character traits of these people. A very important point to understand is that when Al-Kitab mentions for example 'Jews' it means those people who act according to traits given in Quran for Jews, and not by what the world calls them or not by what label they put on themselves.

And when Al-Kitab mentions 'Muslims', then those people who match the character traits of 'Muslims' in Al-Kitab are meant.  The labels that people put on themselves don't matter. If some people call and label themselves as 'Muslims', however, their actions actually match the traits of 'Jews' given in the Book, then they are actually 'Jews' in the eyes of the Lord. Vice Versa, if some people call and label themselves as 'Jews', however they do not match the characteristics of 'Jews' in the Book, they are not 'Jews' in the eyes of the Lord.

It may not be that a particular group exhibits characteristics of a trait all the time. It would seem more likely that in every community wether as a whole this community be labeled as Muslim, Jew or Christian, there would be some people within each community behaving like Muslims, Jews and Christians, Hypocrites and Momin/Believers etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace maker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 8:12am
Originally posted by JerryMyers JerryMyers wrote:

Originally posted by Peace maker Peace maker wrote:

If Abram was a muslim then all the jews must be muslims and Isreal been an islamic state, and the world would have already been dominated by muslims then there wouldn't be the need of any other prophet after Abram.

You are right – there’s no such thing as ‘a religion’ or ‘a Muslim’ or ‘a Christian’ in the time of Abraham or Jesus – what they had was a relationship with God.

However, Islam by definition means submission to the Will of God and a Muslim is one who do and submit to the Will of God. In other words, the name does not define who you are, BUT, the action does. So when Jesus said “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven” – Matthew 7:21, he’s actually saying only the Muslims (those who do the Will of God) will enter the kingdom of heaven.

Did Abraham and Jesus do and submit themselves to the Will of God ? Yes, they did, so, by definition, they are Muslims.

Well then Muhammad didn't hear that Christians,Jews.Nabteans and Sabaens said to him that were already muslims.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic