IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wants a proof that Quran is God's word !!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wants a proof that Quran is God's word !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 12:33am
What science is in the Koran that was not the general understanding of educated people back then?
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by DavidC DavidC wrote:

Thank you very much. That clears things up for me.

As for speculation on God's purpose, and as this is the interfaith forum, in the bible God almost always selects the most unlikely as his tools so that success may only be attributed to God and not to the messenger.

You're welcome.

Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 4:19am
The Arabic word �£مي has many meanings and doesn't necessarily mean illiterate. Many Hadiths also state Mohammed wrote:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

Once the Prophet (ﷺ) wrote (كَتَبَ) a letter or had an idea of writing a letter. The Prophet (ﷺ) was told that they (rulers) would not read letters unless they were sealed. So the Prophet (ﷺ) got a silver ring made with "Muhammad Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)" engraved on it. As if I were just observing its white glitter in the hand of the Prophet.

Sahih Bukhari 1:3:65

Narrated Abu Humaid As-Saidi:

We accompanied the Prophet (ﷺ) in the Ghazwa of Tabuk and the king of 'Aila presented a white mule and a cloak as a gift to the Prophet. And the Prophet (ﷺ) wrote (وَكَتَبَ) to him a peace treaty allowing him to keep authority over his country.

Sahih Bukhari 4:53:387

Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2018 at 4:29am
There are two versions of the story of the first revelation. In the Sirat Rasul Allah by Ibn Ishaq it goes as follows:

When it was the night on which God honored him with his mission and showed mercy on His servants thereby, Gabriel brought him the command of God. "He came to me," said the apostle of God, "while I was asleep, with a coverlet of brocade whereon was some writing, and said, ‘Read!’ I said, ‘What shall I read?’ (وما اقر�£ [10]) He pressed me with it so tightly that I thought it was death; then he let me go and said, ‘Read!’ I said, ‘What shall I read?’ He pressed me with it again so that I thought it was death; then he let me go and said ‘Read!’ I said, ‘What shall I read?’ He pressed me with it the third time so that I thought it was death and said ‘Read!’ I said, ‘What then shall I read?’—and this I said only to deliver myself from him, lest he should do the same to me again. He said:

‘Read in the name of thy Lord who created, Who created man of blood coagulated. Read! Thy Lord is the most beneficent, Who taught by the pen, Taught that which they knew not unto men.’

So I read it, and he departed from me. And I awoke from my sleep, and it was as though these words were written on my heart.
Sirat Rasul Allah by Ibn Ishaq [11]
It says وما اقر�£ "and what (should I) read?". So in this story Muhammad can read, he just asks what should he read.

Ibn Ishaq died in 761. But in 810 was born Bukhari, who wrote a little different story in his Sahih Bukhari collection:

He used to take with him the journey food for the stay and then come back to (his wife) Khadija to take his food likewise again till suddenly the Truth descended upon him while he was in the cave of Hira. The angel came to him and asked him to read. The Prophet (ﷺ) replied, "I do not know how to read. (مَا �£َنَا بِقَارِئٍ)" The Prophet (ﷺ) added, "The angel caught me (forcefully) and pressed me so hard that I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read and I replied, 'I do not know how to read.' Thereupon he caught me again and pressed me a second time till I could not bear it any more. He then released me and again asked me to read but again I replied, 'I do not know how to read (or what shall I read)?' Thereupon he caught me for the third time and pressed me, and then released me and said, 'Read in the name of your Lord, who has created (all that exists), created man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous." (96.1, 96.2, 96.3)

Sahih Bukhari 1:1:3
If the iqra in 96:1 meant "recite" as some translators translated it, then here Muhammad says "I don't know how to recite".
This shift from "and what shall I read" (وما اقر�£) to "I don't know how to read" (مَا �£َنَا بِقَارِئٍ) seems to indicate that Muhammad's illiteracy was a later invention.
MIAW View Drop Down
Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIAW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 4:23am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

There are however Muslims who claim that he could read

The group in your link are called 'Hadith rejectors'.

They go by many other names, such as:

Quran alone
Quranists
Submitters

They claim to be muslims, and yet they believe that there is nothing that Prophet Muhammad PBUH said in his lifetime worth recording.

They claim to pray, fast...etc differently from other Muslims. 

They are favorites among atheists (such as yourself), because their opinions of Prophet Muhammad PBUH fit in approximately with what you believe.

Thanks for highlighting them for us.

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 9:02am
Quote @Miaw

The group in your link are called 'Hadith rejectors'.

Instead of attacking what they are, why don't you stay factual and address what they claim ?

Airmano

The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Al Masihi View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Masihi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2018 at 11:13pm
They are rejected by mainstream muslims such as yourself because they reject all the violent and disturbing Hadiths of Mohammed. But yes your right Islam cannot work without narrations to back it up which seriously ruins its credibility.
DavidC View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Christian
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2018 at 5:34am
Shia do not strictly follow Hadith, and I would not minimize them by dismissively classifying them as " Hadith rejectors".
Christian; Wesleyan M.Div.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 27>
  Share Topic