IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mitochondrial DNA  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mitochondrial DNA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fu7ion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mitochondrial DNA
    Posted: 01 February 2018 at 5:15am
Assalamu Alaykom

My question is how the clearly identifiable bacterial traits of the mitochondria in Eukaryotic cells, (such as human cells), including circular (bacterial) DNA, bacterial cell division, and surface proteins are explained in Islam. The current predominant theory correlates to evolution and early symbiotic activity, which I have been led to believe is contrary to Islamic beliefs. Since this is the case, what would the Islamic explanation of this phenomena be, if any?

Thank you in advance.
Aziza25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aziza25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 5:28am
Salam,

If we go back to the source of the apparent "issue" you are talking about. The opposition between evolution vs creation is a historical problem between the church and some scientists, which has later expended and has been used by anti-believers to mislead people.

Edited by Aziza25 - 04 February 2018 at 5:33am
Aziza25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aziza25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2018 at 5:32am
In fact, There is nothing in the evolution THEORY that excludes the existence of a designer and nothing in the Quran excludes the possibility that living organisms evolved through time.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 5:45am
Quote Aziza:
nothing in the Quran excludes the possibility that living organisms evolved through time

Well, yes and no. Of course are there no comments on [the possibility] of evolution in the Quran, but this is not a surprise because at Muhammad's time this was not a subject of discussion/knowledge.
However, an imaginary person like Adam (who probably never existed for real) was -according to the Quran- directly created by God.
Evolution theory reduces this celestial descend to a descent from the apes - which not the same.

The same applies for us: Instead as being made by god out of dust, clay or water (you're free to choose) the evolutionary process was quite different from what the Quran wants to make us believe.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 09 February 2018 at 5:54am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
fu7ion View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fu7ion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2018 at 11:15pm
My question however was not on the original conflict between religion and evolution, but a simple query into how Islam could explain foreign DNA existing within a supposedly created being. Would the mitochondra not simply be another organelle within our cells if this were the case?

I find it particularly curious that the DNA of the mitochondria is observed to be related to other bacterial species that exist today, and exhibit characteristically bacterial reproduction within our cells. Also the fact that upon removal of the mitochondria from a human cell, another cannot be independently reproduced.

Although I don't like to admit it, the evidence all seems to directly dispute creation, like with Adam...
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2018 at 3:17am
Quote fu7ion
My question however was not on the original conflict between religion and evolution, but a simple query into how Islam could explain foreign DNA existing within a supposedly created being.

I understood, but I guess you will never get a decent answer to this question here. As soon as science enters in conflict with Islam the subject gets immediately psychologically repressed.

Your question is highly specific and I experienced that even much simpler question like: "why do the Bonobos have 98% of the genes in common with us ?" or "why does the human embryo develop a 10�12 vertebrae tail during the 5th to 6th week ?" and many many more questions never got answered. It is a no-go area.

This lack of competence becomes all to visible when you look at the "scientific miracles in the Quran", where people without any scientific knowledge launch themselves into the wildest speculations - and nobody within Islam is willing to stand up against this hokuspokus.

Guess why !

Just to pick one case: Did you read the third thread here in "Science and Technology" ?
The title is "The theory of evolution has been shattered" and the thread starts with:
"Islam is the truth. Islam is the true religion".
Isn't that sad & funny at the same time ?     Sorry, it seems that I got a bit carried away by my emotions...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I don't like to admit it, the evidence all seems to directly dispute creation, like with Adam...

Once you have understood this fact, I think there is no way back...

I know it's hard:

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 13 February 2018 at 1:55pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Pete View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 5:04am
Just because a religious text states that Adam was created by God it doesn't imply that He didn't create him through evolution.

Also, that a religious text being taken literally is not inherent to all religions. I know that the bible used by Jews can be interpreted by them according to scientific facts. This is what Maimonides teaches in his book The Guide for the Perplexed which is adhered to by Jews.

Catholics are freely allowed to accept evolution since Pope John Paul II declared that evolution need not be inconsistent with Christianity. Other Christian sects don't accept what the Vatican holds to be true though.
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2018 at 6:50am
Quote @Pete
Just because a religious text states that Adam was created by God it doesn't imply that He didn't create him through evolution.
In Islam Adam was directly created by god (out of clay). 

Who's right ?

Airmano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic