IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Science & Technology
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Moon (Part 2)  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Moon (Part 2)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 4:31am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

One thing I'll say for you, Mr. Loren: you are certainly an astute observer.I noticed a similar thing the first time I was in the tropics.� The moon, and in particular a crescent moon, looked "wrong", for some reason I couldn't quite figure out.� It wasn't until much later that I finally understood it.When you are near the equator, the path of the moon is almost vertical with respect to the horizon.� When it sets, the crescent is lying on its side, with arc of the crescent toward the ground.Up here in the northern latitudes, the moon moves diagonally as it approaches the horizon.� The crescent is tilted somewhat, but it isn't tilted all the way over as it is at the equator.� In other words, it still looks more like the letter C than the letter U, if that makes more sense.The same would be true for a full moon, although I've never studied the features of the moon so carefully that I would notice it.� Whatever the phase, the moon would appear to be sideways as it nears the horizon (comparing equatorial observations with northern ones).Of course, all of this assumes a Copernican solar system.� I have no idea how you're going to make sense of it within a flat earth model. [IMG]smileys/smiley17.gif" align="middle" />

I agree with those who say that we only see one side of the Moon, and I believe that no matter where you are on the Earth one will see the same Moon meaning that the features of the Moon will be the same wherever you are on the Earth.

However, interestingly as you've alluded to I also think that as the latitudes increase and decrease meaning once you go north or south from the 'equator' the face of the Moon changes. You will look at the moon at an angle and will see differences on the face of the Moon.

I wonder if this is the case with this phenomenon?
La Ilaha IllAllah
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

I agree with those who say that we only see one side of the Moon, and I believe that no matter where you are on the Earth one will see the same Moon meaning that the features of the Moon will be the same wherever you are on the Earth.

That's not what I meant.  Of course we only see one side (one hemisphere) of the moon, no matter where we are on the planet.  What I mean is that the side that we see (the "face" of the moon) appears to be rotated in the high latitudes, as compared with how it appears near the equator.

Quote However, interestingly as you've alluded to I also think that as the latitudes increase and decrease meaning once you go north or south from the 'equator' the face of the Moon changes. You will look at the moon at an angle and will see differences on the face of the Moon.

Exactly.  It's not actually the moon that is rotated -- rather, the observer is rotated as he travels away from the equator along the curved surface of the earth.  In fact, we could measure the curvature of the earth by noting the amount by which the image of the setting moon is rotated, compared to what it looks like at the equator.  The degree of rotation would equal the degree of latitude above or below the equator.

Cool!  You've discovered another way of proving that the earth is a sphere! Thumbs%20Up
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 1:12am

However, interestingly as you've alluded to I also think that as the latitudes increase and decrease meaning once you go north or south from the 'equator' the face of the Moon changes. You will look at the moon at an angle and will see differences on the face of the Moon.

If you took a photo of the Moon from where you are in the UK and got somebody in Austrailia to do the same and at the same time, both using a decent telescope, you would get almost the same picture.

But since the 2 photos would be separated by the width of the earth, almost.

Given that the 2 views would be looking at slightly different angles you could work out how big the moon is by how much more of each side each photo could see.

Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 2:30am

Exactly.� It's not actually the moon that is rotated -- rather, the observer is rotated as he travels away from the equator along the curved surface of the earth.� In fact, we could measure the curvature of the earth by noting the amount by which the image of the setting moon is rotated, compared to what it looks like at the equator.� The degree of rotation would equal the degree of latitude above or below the equator.Cool!� You've discovered another way of proving that the earth is a sphere!�[IMG]smileys/smiley20.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Thumbs%20Up" />

I was expecting this answer from you believe it or not. The Earth does not have to be a sphere for this phenomena to happen, as on a flat Earth you will still be looking at the Moon from the sides as you are moving away from it.
La Ilaha IllAllah
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 5:18am

Exactly.  It's not actually the moon that is rotated -- rather, the observer is rotated as he travels away from the equator along the curved surface of the earth.  In fact, we could measure the curvature of the earth by noting the amount by which the image of the setting moon is rotated, compared to what it looks like at the equator.  The degree of rotation would equal the degree of latitude above or below the equator.Cool!  You've discovered another way of proving that the earth is a sphere! [IMG]smileys/smiley20.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Thumbs%20Up" />

I was expecting this answer from you believe it or not. The Earth does not have to be a sphere for this phenomena to happen, as on a flat Earth you will still be looking at the Moon from the sides as you are moving away from it.

But you rangle of view would not change. You would have the same direction of up.

On the real world your up is not the same as somebody's up in a different place on the globe.

Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 7:19am
"From the sides" is not the same thing as "sideways".  If I look at a picture on the wall from the side, it appears distorted (as I said, a disc will appear as an ellipse), but the top will still be at the top.  To see it sideways, i.e. rotated 90�, you need to either rotate the picture on the wall, or rotate yourself (lie on your side).

Try it yourself.  Draw a picture of the moon and put it on the wall.  Then see if you can find a way to get the effect you're seeing just by looking at it from the side.  Now lie on the floor and look. Wink
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 3:32pm

"From the sides" is not the same thing as "sideways".� If I look at a picture on the wall from the side, it appears distorted (as I said, a disc will appear as an ellipse), but the top will still be at the top.� To see it sideways, i.e. rotated 90�, you need to either rotate the picture on the wall, or rotate yourself (lie on your side).Try it yourself.� Draw a picture of the moon and put it on the wall.� Then see if you can find a way to get the effect you're seeing just by looking at it from the side.� Now lie on the floor and look. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" />

When the Moon is moving away then you will get a side ways view.
You can lie down if you want because it makes no difference as you are lying down on a flat surface (Earth).
La Ilaha IllAllah
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2015 at 7:08pm

When the Moon is moving away then you will get a side ways view.

But the top will still be at the top.  Besides, you still haven't explained why, if the moon is a two-dimensional disk, looking at it from the side wouldn't make it look like an ellipse instead of a circle.

Quote You can lie down if you want because it makes no difference as you are lying down on a flat surface (Earth).

But I'm not lying on my side -- and yet the moon appears to me as if I were.  Or as if my vertical is not the same as your vertical.

Look, here is what the moon looks like near the horizon in Saudi Arabia:

Notice the dark spot all by itself near the top?  That's Mare Crisium.

Now compare that to what it looks like in Canada.  (Sorry, I couldn't find an image small enough to paste directly into this discussion.  If you want, you can shift-click the link to open it in a separate window, so you can compare the two more easily.)

See how the image has rotated clockwise almost 45 degrees?  Mare Crisium is now much closer to the right side.  But it's the same moon.  It should look the same.  How can you explain this, unless the observer has rotated almost 45 degrees? And how is this possible on a flat earth?

Edited by Ron Webb - 27 October 2015 at 7:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic