IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need answers from converts  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need answers from converts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2006 at 1:19am

Dear Sister Melody!

May Allah guide you in the days and years ahead and bless you all your life. Congratulations and certainly what sister Maryga has said is absolutely true.

If a novice driver bangs his new and excellent car with a wall whom would you blame car or driver. Similarly don't judge Islam what some of the Muslims do around the world, judge it by the authentic sources Quran and Sahih Hadith (Sayings and life of Prophet). However I would say that there are not only 40 Hadith Qudsi, these are the Hadiths which are published under the name of 40 Hadith e Qudsi, there are approx between 300- 900 Hadith e Qudsi. (some scholars agree on 300, some on 700 and some on 900). The most authentic books of Hadith are Bukhari and Muslim. Others are Abu-Dawood, Trimidhi, Ibn-e-Maja, Nissai, Musnad Ahmed, Motta Imam Malik, while among other which are not considered very authentic are Dharami, Darqutni, etc     

Shams Zaman

Pakistan

Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 7:06pm

Assalam-alaikum Br Shams Zaman

Thankyou for your above post.

Could you please let me know where to find these 300 or more Hadith Qudsi. Even amongst Bukhari and Muslim it is hard to make sense of some of the hadith. I hope I am not offending anyone by writing this, but sometimes I feel very bad after reading some of the hadith and some translations of the Qur'an. For example I recenty read surah "Rahman" (which I have always enjoyed reading) in a translation by At TAbari, Al Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir, and I have been sick with the explicit explanations provided. My whole day was spoilt instead of feeling good whenever I read Surah Rahman. I worry that such translations may put off some sincere readers who are interested in learning about Islam.

Now I am reading a very good translation sent to me by the Saudi embassy which mainly uses Yusuf Ali's translation. Anyone interested in getting this can call the Saudi embassy in your country and request them to mail you a copy and they do it happily.

Justice_4_All View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice_4_All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 9:22pm

I am married to a muslim man, I although am christian, and have serious concerns before reverting to Islam, My husband has given me several resources for the quran to study, but my problem is I dont understand the wording, or meaning for that matter. I can read it, and it is usually the opposite of what the book is saying according to my husband.  I have asked him to explain, but he cant explain in english well enough for me to understand. I would like to learn more about it, especially now after reading about the inconsistencies in the bible.

This book you speak of in the library , is it for Sunni or shia's? or does it make a difference?

Searching View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Searching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2006 at 11:08pm

Justice_4_All,

The translation that was recommended to me and seems to be more accurate (according to my husband who is American, but fluent in Arabic) is the one by Yusuf Ali.  It was the translation given to my husband by his Arabic professors.  If you have questions about translations I'm sure he would be glad to translate something for you if your husband cannot explain well enough in English.  But do try Yusuf Ali's translation.  I found one at the local library.  They had several copies.

Hope this helps.

Melody

email you if you would like to talk.  I recently converted (reverted) myself. 

Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 1:13am

Dear Sister searching!

May peace be on you.

You are right that reading some translations are sick and unimpressive. Why because translationg any language looses its original sense, and this is very much the case with Arabic. Therefore it is recommended that you read several translations of Quran so as to get more closer to the actual message. Some of the good translations are follwing:

(1) The Glorious Quran by Abdullah Yousaf Ali  (most widely read and most simple).

(2) The Message of Quran by Muhammad Asad (converted from Judaism) and is very logical. But sometimes gets extra logical.

(3) The Noble Quran  by T.B Irwing  also known as First American version. Very simple language is used even slangs.

(4) The Translation of Quran by Syed Abu-Ala-Maududi translated by Syed Iqbal Ansari very fluent and running commentry.

(5) The Translation of Quran by Muhammad Marmaduke Pikthall. A literal translation, word to word.

(6) The Noble Quran translated by Syed Muhsin Khan, also in simple English.

So these were some of good translations available. Regarding Ibn-e-Kathir, Al-Tabri etc these are not translated by Muslims and thus the interpertations won't be clear but dubious and confusing. If you want to raed these then better is to read them in Arabic after learning it. However in you get struck up may be at some places I can be of any help.

Regarding Hadith e Qudsi, these are Hadith in which Allah has told Prophet to convey a message and Prophet conveys it in his own terms and words. (Quran is but the direct words of Allah which are word to word reproduced by Prophet). So at some places in Hadith Qudsi there become difference of opinion that whether these words are from Allah or not and thus the exact number of hadith can be told with surety that whether it is 300 or 700 or 900. But these Hadith are contained in all the authentic books of Hadith(Muslim, Bukhari, Nissai, Ibn-e-Maja, Trimdhi) and I will have to check up whether they are available in one binding.

Shams Zaman  [email protected]

Pakistan

Justice_4_All View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice_4_All Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 11:02am
Thank you Seaching, The info you give me was very helpful. I appreciate it very much.
Maryga View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maryga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 2:55pm
JazakAllah-khair for your response Br Shams Zaman. My understanding of Hadees Qudsi was that they directly relate to what Allah has said in the Qur'an. And where a hadees contradicts the Qur'an then it must be ignored and the Qur'anic command supercedes it. Am i right? In my reading of your above post (forgive me if I am wrong) all the messages conveyed to the prophet Mohammed (SAW) is the entire Qur'an. Or is there something more that has not been included in the Qur'an?
Shams Zaman View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shams Zaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 10:11pm

Dear sister Peace be on you!

The Quran is the revelation sent by Allah to Prophet Muhammad through Gabrial which was word to word reproduced by the Prophet and was immediately written down by the companions. There were other revealations to Prophet which is known as Hadith Qudsi but it was not written down immediately. Infact Prophet forbid anything to be written down except for Quran (so it should not mingle down with Quran). Later once the companions started to identify the difference between Quranic revelations and other revelations not to be included in Quran then Prophet permitted them to write those seperately. As we know that today as Hadith (which also include Hadith Qudsi).

Hadith is divided into 3 broad catogries: (1) The agreed upon or the Muthafiq Ella, (2) Sahih (right) Hadith (3) Zaeef (weak) hadith.

The Zaeaf Hadith is also divided in to 6 catogries:

(1) Suspended or Mullaeq Hadith - regarding which the chain of narrators is not complete till end.

(2) Interrupted Hadith - One in which down the chain of narrators one or more than one narrators are not trust worthy.

(3) Mursal or incomplete Hadith - which has not been narrated completely and the narrator forgot some part of it.

(4) Musaf Hadith - Which has got some error in the sanad or the some principles have been violated while collecting that hadith by the one who is compling the hadith.

(5) Gharib Hadith - A hadith which has been narrated by only one companion of Prophet and the text has some iota of doubt.

(6) Mooduh or Forged Hadith - Although some scholars don't treat it in the category of Zaeef hadith and take it seperately. These are those Hadiths which are either fabricated by the muslims or non-muslims or newly converts from other religions who mistakenly narrated form the Israelities.

You are right that there has to be no SAHIH (Correct or right) hadith to be contradicting with Quran. If some Hadith contradicts then it is not to be taken as Sahih. This was one of the principle involved in judging the correctness of hadith but not the only one.

Shams Zaman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic