IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Barbara Walters Special  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Barbara Walters Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmedNagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:38pm

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahamatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

I agree with you Israfil in that what this man did shame Islam. What he did is out of the question and he is paying for it now. I am not taking his side and he deserves what is happening to him, but that does not give anyone the right to put words in his mouth. When he said that he wanted to go to another place, it would be understood that his goal was heaven and killing Israelis was the means to that (which I am definitely against - even though it could be seen as a means used out of despracy), but when it is understood that he said he wanted to kill Israelis and that is why he didn't settle and raise a family, it directly means that killing was an aim. It sounds like we Muslims are blood thirsty hate mongers. The way I see it, killing being seen as an aim is a lot worse that being seen as a means.

Added to that, if we allow mis-translation over something small now, the next mis-translation can be over something critical.

I definitely agree with Whisper that media people are driven by what the market wants, which I see as an even worse excuse for them to try and tarnish Islam's image - whether they are American or non-American media people.

Edited by AhmedNagi
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:15pm

Skygazer let me trasnlate for you....Since you are anarchist, one who does not believe in a central government (or a type of rule) then I suggest you live under the communism that would striahgten up your belief in Anarchy that is where the comment came. BTW thanks for calling comments idiotic it shows that the capacity in which you can discuss a topic is limited til you make a deragatory comment.

Ahamd I agree with your frustration, but as it is said in the Qur'an patience is the best virtue among believers. Let the media defame Islam and let mis-translation take place. My belief is that there will come a time when the world will fully understand Islam but perhaps its not now. It sounds prophetic in the sense but I believe in letting time pass to allow knowledge to take place.

Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2006 at 2:17pm

I did not see this special, but I would like to point out that this show had a positive impact in my household.  How?

My brother in law who is by far the least religious of all the family watched the show.  He was so impressed by the Imam, he started a conversation with me over Islam at the Christmas dinner table. 

He was curious and he knew that I had been studying Islam and reading the Quran.  He asked many questions about what "real" muslims believed and was able to separate the suicide bomber from the Imam.

In a way, I think what happened wasn't a further degredation of Islam, but a showing that extremists are not true muslims.  By allowing the cleric to explain Heaven, she was able to give a view of what muslims believe.  By talking to the wouldbe suicide bomber, she was able to explain the "why" of their actions.  They are almost their own religion, taking what they like and don't like about Islam and making their own version.

But, there was a positive side.  At least one American Christian family was able to sit back and talk about Islam as a positive force.

herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2006 at 5:43pm

Bismillah,

Thanks for you input, Angela! 

I think Heaven will be a place where Allah, SWT, whom we love, will be infused with his presence and glory, and that all who go there will be so happy to be there.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic