URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3308
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 1:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Barbara Walters Special
Posted By: Israfil
Subject: The Barbara Walters Special
Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 8:31am

God's Blessings and peace be upon all!

I'm sure from the many posts here you guys are wondering what I'm doing here and psoting so many...Well we got a small break from the Academy for Christmas and so I wanted to stop by and kinda chit chat with everyone. Anyway I saw an interesting special last night with Barbara Walters under the subject: Heaven, where is it?

It was quite interesting as it gives the expression of various people of different faiths, both religion and scientific alike. I hope you guys saw it because it would be a great discussion. However I didn't like the fact that in one of her parts in the show that she interviews both a "moderate" Muslim and an "extreme" Muslim. I guess it gives the show flavor to show certain Muslims as extremist.

I was quite surprised to know from the "moderate" Muslim that 72 in the Arabic language is an infinite number. He mentions as in example "Barabara I told you 100 times not to do that." But you have missed it y o u can order the video online I believe on their website.

Replies:
Posted By: herjihad
Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:01am

Bismillah,

Glad to see you back, Brother!  Sorry, I didn't catch that.  Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to reading a discussion between you and other people who saw the show.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Posted By: hakeema
Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:28am

As-Salaam Alaikum brother,

I saw the show.  Why they just couldn't say what Islam says about heaven period if that what the show was about.  I think it was a way to make Islam look bad anyway, as usual.

Hakeema

Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 11:10am

Hakeema the whole point of the show was to get varying opinions regarding the belief in Heaven. I think personally that they shouldn't have interviewed a convicted suicide bomber and then interview an Imam in regards to the opinions of heaven and hell. In one piece Barbara Walter asks "Will Jews go to hell?" The guy says "Yes all Jews will go to hell." Then she asks him "What about me do you want me to go to hell ?" He then says "I don't want anything it's what God wants, you should follow prophet Muhammad."

Then it later switches back to the Imam and he explains that "anytype of judgement by a beliver is prohibited. We should not discuss who is going where but its up to God to decide." Which even though its a noble explanation I think it confuses people especially those ignorant of Islam. More will focus on the negative rather than the positive so whatever sticks out is what the last individual said.

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

In one piece Barbara Walter asks "Will Jews go to hell?" The guy says "Yes all Jews will go to hell." Then she asks him "What about me do you want me to go to hell ?" He then says "I don't want anything it's what God wants, you should follow prophet Muhammad."

And what happens if you don't follow the Prophet ??

No offence, sounds like a typical answer.

And one to avoid a direct question as the person answering doesn't want to look bad.

Quote Then it later switches back to the Imam and he explains that "anytype of judgement by a beliver is prohibited. We should not discuss who is going where but its up to God to decide." Which even though its a noble explanation I think it confuses people especially those ignorant of Islam. More will focus on the negative rather than the positive so whatever sticks out is what the last individual said.

I don't know, but what explanation would you have otherwise ? 

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 21 December 2005 at 9:45pm

It was quite interesting as it gives the expression of various people of different faiths, both religion and scientific alike.

What about those, what happened there?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 8:02pm

angel the opinions were a variety but it gave quite a few theories on how one experiences heaven etc quite interestin. Would you like for me to explain?

Date Posted: 24 December 2005 at 3:42am

Bismillah,

I would, if you please.

-------------
Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.

Date Posted: 24 December 2005 at 2:21pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum ya Muslimeen and the blessings of God to non-Muslims!

My apologies as I didnt see exactly the whole show but I saw maybe 90% of the show. Basically Barbara Walters begins her interviews by travelling to different areas of the world getting various views. She firt starts her journey here in the States and discusses the understanding of heaven with a priest. Of course the priest (or theologian) discusses this in the Christian view and from there, discusses what Christians view of Jesus and heaven and so forth.

As the show progresses she goes from religion to religion and eventually comes to the Islamic understanding of heaven, but in this interview she does it in two parts. Her first interview is with a failed, convicted suicide bomber. She begins to discuss what he did and then she inteviews him in prison. Next to that is her interview with a "moderate" Muslim Imam from New York. Basically she wanted to get both sides in the understanding of heaven. On one side she got the fanatical view and the other pretty much the Orthodox view.

The extremist Muslim pretty much said that only Muslims go to heaven and was taught that to kill in jihad as to die as a Matyr is instant paradise. But basically the Imam in the other interview contradicted that and even went as far as to say that Muslims are not permitted to say such things and to act in such manners (the act of suicide I mean).

As it progresses she interviews the Dali Lama in his lavish house. From there Barbara discusses the Buddhist view of heaven. Obviously they (Buddhist) don't believe in a deity but they do believe in a temporal paradise after death until reincarnation. The temporal paradise is some type of blissful realm where the person waits to be reincarnated. Obviously this is the argument for the soul in this case only, Buddhist don't believe in a soul so I thought that part was weird. Ms Walters then interviews Richard Gere a famous star who is also a practicing Buddhist. I still call tis guy Mr. Gerbal LOL! long story if yo don't know

Then evutally it lead up to the scientific view. This was perhaps the most interesting as scientist evaluate the concept of heaven scientifically. The theory goes: "When a person dies clinically the heart and breathing obviously is stopped but the brain still is functioning and takes 4-6 minutes to die. As the brain ceases to get the pxygen it needs while dying, the memories in the brain begin to go crazy which themind at this points goes into a relapse where the individual begins to experience various memories in the form of strange experiences. White lights, familiar people, family and friends are all illusions of a dying brain."

To counter this people who have died were giving their side of the story and they gave an interesting side. Also scientist even went further in the interview that there is a "spiritual gene" that humans have which perhaps give them this emotional state or sense of spiritual belonging. This perhaps was the scientific view of how humans begin to become spiritual entities. This is pretty much all of it in a nutshell. What do you guys think?

Date Posted: 27 December 2005 at 7:41pm

I guess Herjihad get there before me

Thank you Israfil.

-------------

Posted By: AhmedNagi
Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 6:54am

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh.

I just saw that show and it shocked me. When Barabara was interviewing the Muslim extremist, she asked him if he ever considered getting a girlfriend and raising a family instead of attempting a suicide bombing operation. He answered in Arabic saying something along the lines of 'yes i did but i wanted to go somewhere else' (persumingly he meant heaven - which is a theory I am totally against), and I was astonished when the translator translated this into 'yes I did but I want to kill Jews, I want to kill Israelis'.

I can't believe the lengths media people will go to further ruin the image of Islam.

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:10pm

My brother, think GWB and what he wants to do to you and your skin instead of getting distracted by some poor Barbara Walters miss nobody and a few bad jokes.

My friend, it's time to dig your trenches. Someone is after your skins and, possibly, scalps. Save your skins. Don't worry about some poor puta little (as we call them in Spanish) known as poor little Barbara Walters.

What is she worth when even her President is just a genteel page boy in the Zionist frame of things.

Just make a few trenches and wait when the dust settles.

In the mean while just be good and dig a few trenches, my friend.

Date Posted: 03 January 2006 at 2:09pm
I'm not Mexican nor am I of Latin origin but the word 'puta' is feminie word which is deragatory in Spanish when used for a female. Nice work in the response! I understand what Ahmad is talking about. I don't think there should have been two seperate interviews but then again I assume (and yes this is only an assumption) that those interviews stem from the two mindsets of Muslims. I guess from my understanding the interview was meant to show the extremist view and the "moderate" view. Unfortunately Ahmad you didn't look at the interview with the other Imam from New York. I'm sad to say you also didn't pay attention when Barbara Walters said "According to Islam it is he, not I that will go to hell" This comment was in response to her asking him "Will I go to hell?" If the whole interview was to defame Islam she would've interviewed only the attempt suicide bomber not the Imam. Think guys before you make a comment about the show.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:36am

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahamtu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

It is true that the show showed some positive points about Islam, but as you have said Israfil, what is the point of shoving in an Muslim extremist in the first place? And even still, whats the point of translating a line like 'I want to go somewhere else' to 'I want to kill Jews, I want to kill Israelis'? The two lines don't sound anything close to each other in Arabic. When people watch shows like that, they don't remember positive aspects. They only remember the negative points they hear. It's like they can't propagate a good image of Islam without pointing out some evil lurking behind it. It is the job of media people to pass on a message truthfully or not pass it on at all.

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:12am

It is the job of media people to pass on a message truthfully or not pass it on at all.

Brother these poor media people have to survive in the "market place" and in a system which is not fueled by morality or justice - but just by dollars.

I wonder if you ever watched "My Fair Lady"? Dr Doolittle couldn't afford shame when he was trying to pass of Liza (his daughter) to Henry Higgins in that movie. Till then I had never known that some people could not afford "shame".

The media simply can't afford Truth.

Even the masters can't!!

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:29am

Alhamdulilah I have a few more days til my Academy restarts from break!

Ahmad I agree that the interview should conduct any translations properly even though the majority of the American people do not speak the language. I agree. but Ahmad think about this for a second. Even if the translation was redone does it change what this young man did? Does it change that he meant to take life as well as his own? Even if the translation was redone does it change the impression of Islam among the ignorant?

Whispers claims that the American media outlets are unfair. News check all media outlets are unfair! I've studied journalism in college and the impression I got was that all media report in accordance to the public needs and desires. All American media relates to the American public and the same goes for media outlets for various countries so please don't make American media out to be the most unjust and unfair.

The young man who failed as a suicide bomber did no justice to Islam nor to himself. Not only did he fail but he is young and ignorant. Let him be shamed in his cell I have no mercy for people of his caliber

Posted By: skygazer
Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:12pm

Barbara Walters has no ethics, no shame. She will do anything to promote herself up to and including inciting hatred.

The best thing to do is accept that fact the US media is nothing but a propaganda machine for the fascists that run that country and seek real news from decent countries.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:17pm
Quite funny you all blame Barbara Walters you guys probably didnt even see the show! Her whole point was to give a diverse explanation of Heaven through the understanding of various religions. This is an example of how people assume what they don't know

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:18pm

Quite funny you all blame Barbara Walters you guys probably didnt even see the show! Her whole point was to give a diverse explanation of Heaven through the understanding of various religions. This is an example of how people assume what they don't know

I don't need to see her latest trash to know what I've known since the 1970s.

I suppose you would listen to Hitler's latest speech before you would decide it was garbage too.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:21pm
That is truly your choice. Not sure if you are Muslim but would you appreciate the same hospitality by those who unknowingly put Islam in a negative light? But then again saying this is "beating a dead horse"

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:23pm

That is truly your choice. Not sure if you are Muslim but would you appreciate the same hospitality by those who unknowingly put Islam in a negative light? But then again saying this is "beating a dead horse"

No I'm not a Muslim; I'm an anarchist.

What the heck are you trying to say in your coment? It frankly makes no sense.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:25pm
Since you are not Muslim then the comment neither applies to you nor could it ever make sense to you. If you are an anarchist then I believe living in a communist society shoudls straighten you up

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:27pm

Since you are not Muslim then the comment neither applies to you nor could it ever make sense to you. If you are an anarchist then I believe living in a communist society shoudls straighten you up

Again your comment is idiotic. Or else you simply don't understand what anarchy is.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 12:31pm
And I perfectly understand your other comment. I know full well that the bigotry toward Islam in America has a lot to do with misinformation. Walters and other scum like her are responsible for it. That's why I don't understand how you could possibly defend her.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:38pm

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahamatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

I agree with you Israfil in that what this man did shame Islam. What he did is out of the question and he is paying for it now. I am not taking his side and he deserves what is happening to him, but that does not give anyone the right to put words in his mouth. When he said that he wanted to go to another place, it would be understood that his goal was heaven and killing Israelis was the means to that (which I am definitely against - even though it could be seen as a means used out of despracy), but when it is understood that he said he wanted to kill Israelis and that is why he didn't settle and raise a family, it directly means that killing was an aim. It sounds like we Muslims are blood thirsty hate mongers. The way I see it, killing being seen as an aim is a lot worse that being seen as a means.

Added to that, if we allow mis-translation over something small now, the next mis-translation can be over something critical.

I definitely agree with Whisper that media people are driven by what the market wants, which I see as an even worse excuse for them to try and tarnish Islam's image - whether they are American or non-American media people.

Date Posted: 04 January 2006 at 2:15pm

Skygazer let me trasnlate for you....Since you are anarchist, one who does not believe in a central government (or a type of rule) then I suggest you live under the communism that would striahgten up your belief in Anarchy that is where the comment came. BTW thanks for calling comments idiotic it shows that the capacity in which you can discuss a topic is limited til you make a deragatory comment.

Ahamd I agree with your frustration, but as it is said in the Qur'an patience is the best virtue among believers. Let the media defame Islam and let mis-translation take place. My belief is that there will come a time when the world will fully understand Islam but perhaps its not now. It sounds prophetic in the sense but I believe in letting time pass to allow knowledge to take place.

Posted By: Angela
Date Posted: 05 January 2006 at 2:17pm

I did not see this special, but I would like to point out that this show had a positive impact in my household.  How?

My brother in law who is by far the least religious of all the family watched the show.  He was so impressed by the Imam, he started a conversation with me over Islam at the Christmas dinner table. 

He was curious and he knew that I had been studying Islam and reading the Quran.  He asked many questions about what "real" muslims believed and was able to separate the suicide bomber from the Imam.

In a way, I think what happened wasn't a further degredation of Islam, but a showing that extremists are not true muslims.  By allowing the cleric to explain Heaven, she was able to give a view of what muslims believe.  By talking to the wouldbe suicide bomber, she was able to explain the "why" of their actions.  They are almost their own religion, taking what they like and don't like about Islam and making their own version.

But, there was a positive side.  At least one American Christian family was able to sit back and talk about Islam as a positive force.

Date Posted: 05 January 2006 at 5:43pm

Bismillah,

Thanks for you input, Angela! 

I think Heaven will be a place where Allah, SWT, whom we love, will be infused with his presence and glory, and that all who go there will be so happy to be there.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net