IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Barbara Walters Special  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Barbara Walters Special

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2005 at 2:21pm

As'Salaamu Alaikum ya Muslimeen and the blessings of God to non-Muslims!

My apologies as I didnt see exactly the whole show but I saw maybe 90% of the show. Basically Barbara Walters begins her interviews by travelling to different areas of the world getting various views. She firt starts her journey here in the States and discusses the understanding of heaven with a priest. Of course the priest (or theologian) discusses this in the Christian view and from there, discusses what Christians view of Jesus and heaven and so forth.

As the show progresses she goes from religion to religion and eventually comes to the Islamic understanding of heaven, but in this interview she does it in two parts. Her first interview is with a failed, convicted suicide bomber. She begins to discuss what he did and then she inteviews him in prison. Next to that is her interview with a "moderate" Muslim Imam from New York. Basically she wanted to get both sides in the understanding of heaven. On one side she got the fanatical view and the other pretty much the Orthodox view.

The extremist Muslim pretty much said that only Muslims go to heaven and was taught that to kill in jihad as to die as a Matyr is instant paradise. But basically the Imam in the other interview contradicted that and even went as far as to say that Muslims are not permitted to say such things and to act in such manners (the act of suicide I mean).

As it progresses she interviews the Dali Lama in his lavish house. From there Barbara discusses the Buddhist view of heaven. Obviously they (Buddhist) don't believe in a deity but they do believe in a temporal paradise after death until reincarnation. The temporal paradise is some type of blissful realm where the person waits to be reincarnated. Obviously this is the argument for the soul in this case only, Buddhist don't believe in a soul so I thought that part was weird. Ms Walters then interviews Richard Gere a famous star who is also a practicing Buddhist. I still call tis guy Mr. Gerbal LOL! long story if yo don't know

Then evutally it lead up to the scientific view. This was perhaps the most interesting as scientist evaluate the concept of heaven scientifically. The theory goes: "When a person dies clinically the heart and breathing obviously is stopped but the brain still is functioning and takes 4-6 minutes to die. As the brain ceases to get the pxygen it needs while dying, the memories in the brain begin to go crazy which themind at this points goes into a relapse where the individual begins to experience various memories in the form of strange experiences. White lights, familiar people, family and friends are all illusions of a dying brain."

To counter this people who have died were giving their side of the story and they gave an interesting side. Also scientist even went further in the interview that there is a "spiritual gene" that humans have which perhaps give them this emotional state or sense of spiritual belonging. This perhaps was the scientific view of how humans begin to become spiritual entities. This is pretty much all of it in a nutshell. What do you guys think?

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2005 at 7:41pm

I guess Herjihad get there before me

Thank you Israfil.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
AhmedNagi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmedNagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2006 at 6:54am

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allahi Wa Barakatuh.

I just saw that show and it shocked me. When Barabara was interviewing the Muslim extremist, she asked him if he ever considered getting a girlfriend and raising a family instead of attempting a suicide bombing operation. He answered in Arabic saying something along the lines of 'yes i did but i wanted to go somewhere else' (persumingly he meant heaven - which is a theory I am totally against), and I was astonished when the translator translated this into 'yes I did but I want to kill Jews, I want to kill Israelis'.

I can't believe the lengths media people will go to further ruin the image of Islam.

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2006 at 12:10pm

My brother, think GWB and what he wants to do to you and your skin instead of getting distracted by some poor Barbara Walters miss nobody and a few bad jokes.

My friend, it's time to dig your trenches. Someone is after your skins and, possibly, scalps. Save your skins. Don't worry about some poor puta little (as we call them in Spanish) known as poor little Barbara Walters.

What is she worth when even her President is just a genteel page boy in the Zionist frame of things.

Just make a few trenches and wait when the dust settles.

In the mean while just be good and dig a few trenches, my friend.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2006 at 2:09pm
I'm not Mexican nor am I of Latin origin but the word 'puta' is feminie word which is deragatory in Spanish when used for a female. Nice work in the response! I understand what Ahmad is talking about. I don't think there should have been two seperate interviews but then again I assume (and yes this is only an assumption) that those interviews stem from the two mindsets of Muslims. I guess from my understanding the interview was meant to show the extremist view and the "moderate" view. Unfortunately Ahmad you didn't look at the interview with the other Imam from New York. I'm sad to say you also didn't pay attention when Barbara Walters said "According to Islam it is he, not I that will go to hell" This comment was in response to her asking him "Will I go to hell?" If the whole interview was to defame Islam she would've interviewed only the attempt suicide bomber not the Imam. Think guys before you make a comment about the show.
AhmedNagi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmedNagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 1:36am

Al Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahamtu Allahi Wa Barakatuh,

It is true that the show showed some positive points about Islam, but as you have said Israfil, what is the point of shoving in an Muslim extremist in the first place? And even still, whats the point of translating a line like 'I want to go somewhere else' to 'I want to kill Jews, I want to kill Israelis'? The two lines don't sound anything close to each other in Arabic. When people watch shows like that, they don't remember positive aspects. They only remember the negative points they hear. It's like they can't propagate a good image of Islam without pointing out some evil lurking behind it. It is the job of media people to pass on a message truthfully or not pass it on at all.

Edited by AhmedNagi
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 7:12am

It is the job of media people to pass on a message truthfully or not pass it on at all.

Brother these poor media people have to survive in the "market place" and in a system which is not fueled by morality or justice - but just by dollars.

I wonder if you ever watched "My Fair Lady"? Dr Doolittle couldn't afford shame when he was trying to pass of Liza (his daughter) to Henry Higgins in that movie. Till then I had never known that some people could not afford "shame".

The media simply can't afford Truth.

Even the masters can't!!

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2006 at 9:29am

Alhamdulilah I have a few more days til my Academy restarts from break!

Ahmad I agree that the interview should conduct any translations properly even though the majority of the American people do not speak the language. I agree. but Ahmad think about this for a second. Even if the translation was redone does it change what this young man did? Does it change that he meant to take life as well as his own? Even if the translation was redone does it change the impression of Islam among the ignorant?

Whispers claims that the American media outlets are unfair. News check all media outlets are unfair! I've studied journalism in college and the impression I got was that all media report in accordance to the public needs and desires. All American media relates to the American public and the same goes for media outlets for various countries so please don't make American media out to be the most unjust and unfair.

The young man who failed as a suicide bomber did no justice to Islam nor to himself. Not only did he fail but he is young and ignorant. Let him be shamed in his cell I have no mercy for people of his caliber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic