IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Original Sin  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Original Sin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 47>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

I did not say there are no notable Muslim countries. You did not list any. But I can tell you about a few. Indonesia, Malaysia, UAE, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and so on.Even so these are not perfect examples of Islamic societies.

In what way do you regard these countries as "notable successes"?  (Pakistan??)

Quote But you are only partly right. You know, very well, that western govts force those governments out that do not toe their lines. And bring in through fake or forged elections allied parties to fore with which it has secret arrangements for sharing power. There are two immediate examples that come to mind. Iraq and Afghanistan.

For the record, I was not in favour of invading Iraq, but there is no denying that Saddam Hussein was a brutal tyrant who held power by force and not by popular support.  That is why he was forced out.  And we both know the story of Afghanistan and the Taliban.  There is a wide gulf between not "toeing the line" and actively sponsoring terrorism.

In any case, neither country is a notable example of success, before or after the regime change, so I think we can move on.

Quote Very well. Tell me if Islam has not changed why has the Muslim approach to obtaining knowledge allegedly changed? And if it has changed what is the cause for the change?

It hasn't changed, and that's the problem.  It still sees the world through the lens of the Quran, which is stuck in the seventh century.

Quote BTW, Muslims in ME constitute about twenty percent of the Ummah. So, you are wrong on this count as well.

I'm aware of that.  By "Middle Eastern Muslims" I was trying to distinguish them from Western Muslims, who live in progressive secular societies and often have a more progressive outlook toward science and knowledge.  Not all Muslims are stuck in the seventh century, but the ones who live in Muslim theocracies (such as those in the Middle East) often are.

Quote How about all the Sunni/Shia violence that has been going on for a thousand years? Religious wars could not happen without religion.
What was the cause of violence that killed millions of people in WW2? Was it Catholic/Protestant differences or something else?

Huh?  The causes of World War II are many, but Catholic/Protestant difference did not play a role as far as I know.  Mostly I think it was a replay of World War I, with Germany unwilling to accept defeat the first time around.  I could be wrong though, it's not an area of interest for me.

Quote I recommend for you a serious reading of this very informative article at http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/articles/muslim-constructive-role.php It might just change your perspective on Islam. It shows that there are so many other ways of looking at qualities and contributions. It may help you deal with your prejudices. Islam also provides solutions to mankind for some of the problems faced by it.

Sorry, I'm not going to comb through a lengthy article and guess at how you think it answers the question.  What benefits has Islam brought to human society?  (Aside from warning us against imaginary dangers, that is.)

Quote He employed outstandingly talented, humble and virtuous people, qualities that are not possessed by you. But you are so right. Animals and birds do sing His praises. I am sure even plants may be doing it. All babies are born Muslim.

See, that's the advantage you have in this discussion.  Whenever I make a factual claim, I feel obliged to back it up with evidence in some way.  But you can just throw out this kind of stuff to support your opinions, and never even try to prove it.  Animals and birds singing His praises?  Would that be in Arabic, or English?  Or can you understand animal/bird languages?  All babies born Muslim?  How do you know that?  Did you hear one of them say the shahada? Wink

Quote No, there is physical evidence out there for the existence of Allah. http://www.islamcan.com/signsofallah/#.VdMejfmqqkp

LOL Oh, I'm glad you drew my attention to this!  I have never seen such a heap of rubbish, or a better illustration of why Islam is incompatible with science.  I obviously didn't read the whole thing (I wouldn't waste my time); but from what I skimmed, 99% of it is stuff that science has already figured out -- but Islam supposedly still sees them as mysterious "signs of Allah".  

Just one example: as long as Muslims believe that a bird is able to remain aloft because "Allah wills it", then they would never look for the real reason.  Western secularism was not satisfied with that (non-)explanation.  We asked the right questions, learned about aerodynamics, and the result is that humans can now fly even faster and farther than birds -- not because Allah wills it, but because science understands it.

Quote Islam never banned slavery but neither did Judaism or Christianity. You, the west, banned it much, much after your Uncle Tom days. In the nineteenth century. Women do dwell in love and security of men in Islam but you exploit women in a millions of different ways. You sell them like flesh. Muslims respect them.

By "we" I don't mean Judaism or Christianity.  I mean western secular values, which usually but not always align with Christianity.  Nobody of consequence in the west would support slavery anymore; whereas, as Shaykh Saleh Al-Fawzan put it, "Slavery is a part of Islam. Slavery is part of jihad, and jihad will remain as long there is Islam."

Quote A miniscule of the total. The KKK,The Christian Identity Movement, The Aryan Nations, The Orange Volunteers, Catholic Reaction Force/Protestant Action Force, Antibalaka, National Liberation Front of Tripura, the Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord, the Oklahoma Constitution Militia, and the Provisional IRA are just a few who didn�t get entries but deserve noting anyway. By now it should be apparent to anyone watching that Christian Terrorism is a thing, it exists, and it�s just as bad and widespread as Islamic Terrorism. The only difference between Christian Terrorism and Islamic terrorism is that Christian Terrorism never makes the evening news.http://aattp.org/here-are-8-christian-terrorist-organizations-that-equal-isis/

Well, almost never; but there was Anders Breivik, for example.  The reason it rarely makes the evening news is that it rarely happens.  Certainly not on the scale or with the same frequency as terrorism inspired by Islam.

Quote So the word �wajada� refers to perception through any one of the five senses.

I don't care if wajada means found, or perceived, or smelled or tasted it.  The point is that it was at the place where the sun sets.  We know there is no such place.

The article you linked to tries to avoid the problem by translating it as "he reached the time of sunset".  It's a nice dodge, but it doesn't have the support of any of the standard translations.  More important, it ignores the parallel wording in verse 90 ("when he reached the land of the rising of the sun") and 93 ("when he reached (a place) between the two mountains").  Verses 88 and 90 could be twisted to refer to a time rather than a place; but 93 clearly indicates a place, not a time.

No, the Quran is clearly describing a place where the sun sets.  There is no such place, whether perceived or found, whether a muddy pool or not.  The only recourse for Quranic apologists is to retreat into allegory, even though it doesn't make sense as an allegory either.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 8:48am

You may listen to this as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwAYZjSvcpM

Does the sun set in murky water? What does the Quran say?
By Dr Zakir Naik

It will help you.

Edited by The Saint - 18 August 2015 at 8:50am
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2015 at 8:42am
So I come back to my original question: If Islam is the ideal form of society and/or government, why do we not see a single working example of this either in contemporary nations or even in the past half millennium or so?

I did not say there are no notable Muslim countries. You did not list any. But I can tell you about a few. Indonesia, Malaysia, UAE, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and so on.Even so these are not perfect examples of Islamic societies.

A revolutionary is one who promotes a revolution, in this context a change in government. "Radical" means extreme, as I said; and many revolutionaries are indeed extreme. However, once in power, they are no longer the revolutionaries because they are the government. Their ideology remains radical, however.

So, basically, there is no difference between a revolutionary and an extremist. Extremists too, run responsible governments. Actually, I have noticed that the western vocabulary holds extremism and fundamentalism as synonymous. Both are unsavoury to it. Because of its pseudo-secularism. All religious people are fundies for it.

Anyway, semantics aside, my point was that Muslims cannot blame imperialism or colonialism for their extremist governments, when we force one batch of extremists out only to have Muslims themselves vote another batch of extremists right back in.

Oho! We have an acknowledgement here, that accepts the involvement of western govts everywhere, it can flex its muscles!

But you are only partly right. You know, very well, that
western govts force those governments out that do not toe their lines. And bring in through fake or forged elections allied parties to fore with which it has secret arrangements for sharing power. There are two immediate examples that come to mind. Iraq and Afghanistan.

That may have been true a thousand years ago, but look around you today. Among Middle Eastern Muslims at least, "seeking knowledge" usually means reading the Quran and hadith, and little else.

Very well. Tell me if Islam has not changed why has the Muslim approach to obtaining knowledge allegedly changed? And if it has changed what is the cause for the change?

BTW, Muslims in ME constitute about twenty percent of the Ummah. So, you are wrong on this count as well.

And I agreed that western civilzation has many problems; but our successes far, far outweigh our failures.

I agree, there have been many successes. But you have sown seeds of Armageddon and annihilation, too.

How about all the Sunni/Shia violence that has been going on for a thousand years? Religious wars could not happen without religion.

What was the cause of violence that killed millions of people in WW2? Was it Catholic/Protestant differences or something else?

Just one or two, please.

I recommend for you a serious reading of this very informative article at http://www.usc.edu/org/cmje/articles/muslim-constructive-role.php

It might just change your perspective on Islam. It shows that there are so many other ways of looking at qualities and contributions. It may help you deal with your prejudices.

Islam also provides solutions to mankind for some of the problems faced by it.

I was not taught by Allah at all. He left it to incompetent and disputatious humans to spread His word. If I had been Allah, people would not receive the Quran as hearsay. The rocks and trees themselves would sing the Quran, and babies would be born with it already memorized.

He employed outstandingly talented, humble and virtuous people, qualities that are not possessed by you. But you are so right. Animals and birds do sing His praises. I am sure even plants may be doing it. All babies are born Muslim. But not one of His creations act in a manner contrary to its nature. There are signs of His glory everywhere. http://www.islamicity.org/5735/allahs-signs-in-the-universe/

Yes, it's called the Tinkerbell Effect. If you believe strongly enough, you will see evidence of your belief. But it works for all religions, not just for Islam. I've had Christians, Buddhists and Hindus all tell me the same thing.

No, there is physical evidence out there for the existence of Allah. http://www.islamcan.com/signsofallah/#.VdMejfmqqkp

We used to think slavery was okay, but not anymore. We used to deny women's rights, but not anymore. Islam still allows slavery, and still places women under the authority of men.

Islam never banned slavery but neither did Judaism or Christianity. You, the west, banned it much, much after your Uncle Tom days. In the nineteenth century.

Women do dwell in love and security of men in Islam but you exploit women in a millions of different ways. You sell them like flesh. Muslims respect them.

The "sources" you cite are just random Web pages, often with anonymous authors, and which do not cite sources themselves. There is no "chain of narration", as your hadith scholars would put it. My sources are either authorities themselves or reputable organizations that provide appropriate citations to recognized authorities.

No, that is not entirely true. Not even partly true now. It is clearly a dodge.Just as you dodge many of my queries and facts.

You're right. It's also the Taliban, and Al Qaeda, and Islamic Jihad, and Al-Shabaab, and Lashkar-e-Taiba, and Abu Sayyaf and on and on. A great number of Muslims are like that.

A miniscule of the total. The KKK,The Christian Identity Movement, The Aryan Nations, The Orange Volunteers, Catholic Reaction Force/Protestant Action Force, Antibalaka, National Liberation Front of Tripura, the Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord, the Oklahoma Constitution Militia, and the Provisional IRA are just a few who didn�t get entries but deserve noting anyway. By now it should be apparent to anyone watching that Christian Terrorism is a thing, it exists, and it�s just as bad and widespread as Islamic Terrorism. The only difference between Christian Terrorism and Islamic terrorism is that Christian Terrorism never makes the evening news.http://aattp.org/here-are-8-christian-terrorist-organizations-that-equal-isis/

My no means all, of course, nor even the majority; but enough that it's no mere coincidence. There is something about Islam that encourages fanaticism.

You see other violent/terrorist organizations do not get press. But there is nothing in Islam that incites violence. I challenge you to prove that. However, Muslims do not turn the other cheek, as most christians do not.

I am going to cite the number of countries the US has bombed since 1980.To get a full scope of American violence in the world, it is worth asking a broader question: how many countries in the Islamic world has the U.S. bombed or occupied since 1980? That answer was provided in a recent Washington Post op-ed by the military historian and former U.S. Army Col. Andrew Bacevich:

Syria has become at least the 14th country in the Islamic world that U.S. forces have invaded or occupied or bombed, and in which American soldiers have killed or been killed. And that�s just since 1980. Tell who or what is violent?

The US Has Invaded 70 Nations Since 1776 �
Make 4 July Independence From America Day. http://www.countercurrents.org/polya050713.htm. Who or what is violent?

See also: http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/interventions.html

Because the Quran is supposed to be a message from Allah to all people. It's not supposed to be a personal defense of one man's wife.

It makes absolute sense to defend the honour of the man who carried His message.

You're saying that those who questioned Aisha's integrity were hypocrites and unbelievers? Why? Because they disregarded a scripture that hadn't even been revealed yet?

Because they disregarded the unquestionable integrity of the Prophet PBUH and Hazrat Aisha RA. They were real people who were living amongst them and they knew the couple was of an exalted character. Besides she was the daughter of a highly respected citizen.

The Web site doesn't actually explain the allegory at all. An explanation would tell us what the "muddy pool" is an allegory of. What does it represent, and why? The site makes a great fuss about the translation of the word wajada ("found"), arguing that it can be translated as "perceived". Perhaps it can be, but it makes little difference whether he found it or perceived it setting in a muddy pool.

The site gives the translation of Abdullah Yusuf Ali above. The word he translated as �found� is وجد i.e. �wajada.� This word is used to describe the perception. See the proof from the Edward William Lane�s Lexicon.

Images

And further he writes;

Edward William Lane�s Arabic-English Lexicon p. 2924

So the word �wajada� refers to perception through any one of the five senses.

It still implies that it was setting in a muddy pool; and the only way to escape that implication is to add the words "as if". But I thought the Quran was complete. Did Allah omit those words?

The occurences of WAJADA وجد throughout the Glorious Quran: No. Please read on: In the Glorious Quran, wajada وجد (found) has multiple meanings, which among them is "to see", as the Noble Verses, below, clearly and indisputably reveal. Wajada وجد here means that the sun disappeared from Dhul-Qarnayn's naked eye, especially since the neighborhood was mountainous (18:93). As Dhul-Qarnayn was looking at the sun, he saw it disappearing inside or behind a murky body/pond/lake/sea of dark/murky water. And of course, as I mentioned below, if the sun were to literally set inside a pool of water, then it would have to rise back again from that location and set into another body of water, which the Glorious Quran makes no mention of, and then rise back again from that body of water and set again in Dhul-Qarnayn's body of water, and so on. This never happened, and nor did the Glorious Quran mention it.

The sun simply does not bounce back and forth between the east and the west on earth, and nor does the moon. The Noble Verses also do not say that the Dhul-Qarnayn went to the east or the west of the earth. No east nor west were mentioned in any of the Noble Verses, and as I mentioned below, neither does the Glorious Quran mention that there are ends of the earth. On the contrary, the Glorious Quran, as I also mentioned below, clearly and indisputably Declares that the earth is Spherical, Round, is Suspended and orbiting in Space, and is rotating around its own axle. See the ample Noble Verses and ample Arabic Analysis for the proofs, in the link. http://www.answering-christianity.com/sunrise_sunset.htm

Now as to wajada's (وجد) meanings throughout the Glorious Quran:

In Noble Verses 43:22-24, 31:21, 26:74, 21:53, 18:93, 12:65, 10:78, 7:44, 7:28, 5:104 and 3:37 the pagans used this word to say "we saw our fathers do idol worship". The English translations use the word "found", but the context of the Noble Verses clearly speak about these people were doing what they saw their fathers do in the past.

And if so, then we could play that game endlessly. Was Muhammad's "night journey" also just an allegory? How about the jinns? Satan? Perhaps when Allah said that men are tempted by Satan, He only meant "as if" by Satan. Perhaps the moon did not actually split, but was only "as if" split. Where do we stop with this? Maybe the entire Quran is just an allegory, "as if" revealed by Allah.

Go there: http://www.answering-christianity.com/detailed_meanings_of_scientific_words_in_verses.htm

The Web site also asserts that Muslims have always understood the "muddy pool" as allegorical. Unfortunately, the tafsirs it cites as evidence are from seven centuries or more after Muhammad, which proves nothing.

You would have got your answers by the time you reach here.

No, there is no reason to suppose that Muhammad's contemporaries would have understood this passage as anything other than the sun literally setting at a particular place, in a literal muddy pool, with a people living near it. If it's an analogy, it seems like a pointless one; and if it's an analogy, then virtually everything in the Quran could be an analogy.
Moreover, the verse also says that he reached the place where the sun sets. We know that is impossible, regardless of what he perceived or found there.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that the believers would not understand this passage. Because as explained above, the Quran also explains: As for تغرب في عين (disappear in a murky water), the following points make it quite clear. This point is also discussed in great details throughout this article:

تغرب (taghrub) throughout the Glorious Quran means to disappear, or to cease to be seen.

So تغرب (taghrub) here doesn't necessarily mean the sun is setting. It rather means that the sun disappeared from Dhul-Qarnayn's naked eye, especially since the neighborhood was mountainous (18:93). As Dhul-Qarnayn was looking at the sun, he saw it disappearing inside or behind a murky body/pond/lake/sea of dark/murky water. And of course, as I mentioned below, if the sun were to literally set inside a pool of water, then it would have to rise back again from that location and set into another body of water, which the Glorious Quran makes no mention of, and then rise back again from that body of water and set again in Dhul-Qarnayn's body of water, and so on. This never happened, and nor did the Glorious Quran mention it. The sun simply does not bounce back and forth between the east and the west on earth, and nor does the moon. The Noble Verses also do not say that the Dhul-Qarnayn went to the east or the west of the earth. No east nor west were mentioned in any of the Noble Verses, and as I mentioned below, neither does the Glorious Quran mention that there are ends of the earth. On the contrary, the Glorious Quran, as I also mentioned below, clearly and indisputably Declares that the earth is Spherical, Round, is Suspended and orbiting in Space, and is rotating around its own axle. See the ample Noble Verses and ample Arabic Analysis for the proofs, in the link. http://www.answering-christianity.com/sunrise_sunset.htm
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 2:59pm

I do not have any justiciable evidence. ...
Let me know what you think of this evidence.

You just answered your own question. Wink

None of what you listed is evidence.  It is simply grounds for suspicion.  Now you need actual evidence -- stuff that ties them to the crime.  Actually, no.  First, you need to tell me who "them" is.

Quote Long before when? And did you know all these 'facts'? Any proof that you may want to offer in support of your claims?

Long before Bin Laden's video acknowledging the involvement of Al Qaeda.  I'm not sure what facts you are questioning.  Do you agree on the identity of the nineteen hijackers?

Quote You say the Muslim extremists benefited. Ask yourself what percentage they are of the total Muslim Ummah?

I don't know, and I don't care.  I'm not accusing all Muslims of any crime.

Quote And, didn't their action hurt the Muslims as a whole?

Of course, but the extremists don't care.  They want to provoke a confrontation, which they think will draw more Muslims to their cause.  Sadly, it may be working.

Quote OTOH, the Jews, as a nation benefited by demonizing the Muslims. 9/11 was a cunning action to completely antagonize the US against the Muslims. Who gains by that, Israel, or the zionists.

But again, that's not evidence of anything.

Quote Why are you dithering to say directly that Boko Haram kidnapped girls as reported in the media. I asked you who or what is Boko Haram and I am asking you again. Who are they? I have already told you that I do not believe everything that the so called media says.

So you don't believe Boko Haram exists?  Then who kidnapped the girls?

Quote You want to know why? Because it is not a novelty, nor is it unusual for an alleged Muslim organization to surface suddenly in the wake of a terrible act of violence or repression, bloodshed or an outrageous act. The west is adept at creating monsters, giving them a suggestive name and then go on to build a reputation for it that would be repugnant.

So now the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Islamic Jihad, etc., don't exist either?

Quote I have already answered that. If what you are saying was true, why are scores of, women mainly, are entering into the fold of Islam.

Because they have the freedom to do so, unlike Islam which threatens to kill them if the change their religion.  But "scores" is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions that are leaving Islam, despite the coercive doctrine.

Quote And that is why rate of rape is low? LOL..........

No, that is why the rate of reported rapes is low.  The rate of actual rapes is alarmingly high compared to the west, as I showed.

Quote Since when? Can you kindly quote relevant legislations? Last century, IMHO!Even within America, various states legislated at different times.

As you say, various jurisdictions have different statutory limits, but nowhere in North America is it legal to have sex with a nine year old girl.  In Canada and the US, the minimum age is at least 16.

Quote And I see you are deliberately avoiding an answer to examples posted from Judeo-Christian histories. Feeling embarrassed? LOL

Not at all.  The examples you posted are (mostly) in accord with the moral principles at the time.  My point is that morality has changed over time.  Western society has kept up with this change.  Islam has not and cannot, because that would be "innovation".

Quote Temporary marriages were allowed for a brief period of time for soldiers who had been away from their wives due to battle. But they were soon banned.

Really?  Are you saying that Muslim moral law has changed?  That would be refreshing news to me.

Quote But the constraints against polygamy are so strict that a miniscule percentage marry more than once in Islam. OTOH, jews and christians started dibelieving marriage altogether and today men are marrying men and women are living with women.

And I would say that these changes are working out pretty well, on the whole.  Women in particular are less likely to be trapped in abusive or loveless relationships.  Couples can get to know one another on a more intimate basis before making a deeper commitment.  Even children may be better off, living with a single or remarried parent rather than in the home of a bitter and quarrelsome marriage.

Quote Of course, it is my business. The weakest kind of faith is to murmur a condemnation of a wrong. But the best kind of faith is that which physically stops wrongdoing.

So if you have a right to meddle in my personal relationships, does that mean I have a similar right to meddle in yours?  Do I have a right to decide who you can or cannot marry?  Or what sexual acts you may or may not perform with your partner?
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 9:24am
Yes, I do. But you forgot to tell me about your evidence that "the Jews" (whoever they are) did it.

I do not have any justiciable evidence.

If at all they left behind any such evidence it was not reported and would be untraceable now. But there is tonnes of evidence on the Web, some say real. And to prove that I am not the only one who thinks along these lines I did a google, as you so often recommend. Imagine what I got? The search came-up with 60,80,000 entries.

Here's one entry which details the dramatis personae in the conspiracy: When an event occurs that fundamentally changes the dynamics of global geopolitics, there is one question above all others whose answer will most assuredly point to its perpetrators. That question is "Cui bono?"(I am sure, you remember, I had said the same thing: motive - who will benefit?) If those so indicted are in addition found to have had both motive and means then, as they say in the US, it's pretty much a "slam-dunk".

And so it is with the events of 9/11.

Discounting the Official Narrative as the absurdity it so clearly is, there are just two organisations on the entire planet with the expertise, assets, access and political protection necessary to have both executed 9/11 and effected its cover-up to date (ie the means). Both are Intelligence Agencies - the CIA and the Israeli Mossad whose motives were arguably the most compelling. Those motives dovetailed perfectly with the Neocon PNAC agenda, with it's explicitly stated need for "...a catastrophic and catalyzing event - like a new Pearl Harbor" [1> in order to mobilise US public opinion for already planned wars, the effects of which would be to destroy Israel's enemies.
This article marshals evidence for the proposition that "Israel did it".

Netanyahu Openly Gleeful of 9/11 Terror Attacks
Apparently Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu is so confident in Zionist control and domination that he haphazardly stated publicly that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were "good" for US - Israeli relations, and would generate "immediate sympathy" for the Israeli cause of ethnically cleansing the Palestinians.

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv reported that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu told an audience at Bar Ilan:
"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor."Netanyahu Openly Gleeful of 9/11 Terror Attacks

Apparently Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu is so confident in Zionist control and domination that he haphazardly stated publicly that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were "good" for US - Israeli relations, and would generate "immediate sympathy" for the Israeli cause of ethnically cleansing the Palestinians.

The Israeli newspaper Ma'ariv reported that Likud leader Benjamin Netanyahu told an audience at Bar Ilan:
"We are benefiting from one thing, and that is the attack on the Twin Towers and Pentagon, and the American struggle in Iraq," Ma'ariv quoted the former prime minister as saying. He reportedly added that these events "swung American public opinion in our favor."

Read all here:

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/9-11/Israel_did_it

Let me know what you think of this evidence.

No, we knew it long before then. The identity of the nineteen hijackers was easily determined, and their links to Al Qaeda were in many cases already known. We probably still aren't sure of the extent of Bin Laden's personal involvement, but as the head of Al Qaeda, the buck stops with him anyway.

Long before when? And did you know all these 'facts'? Any proof that you may want to offer in support of your claims?

You've got to stop thinking of "the Jews" and "the Muslims" as if they were monolithic. No, Muslims in general did not benefit from 9/11, but Muslim extremists certainly did. 9/11 was a great recruiting tool for them.

You say the Muslim extremists benefited. Ask yourself what percentage they are of the total Muslim Ummah? And, didn't their action hurt the Muslims as a whole? OTOH, the Jews, as a nation benefited by demonizing the Muslims. 9/11 was a cunning action to completely antagonize the US against the Muslims. Who gains by that, Israel, or the zionists.

Did you click the link I provided? (As if you didn't know already...)

Why are you dithering to say directly that Boko Haram kidnapped girls as reported in the media. I asked you who or what is Boko Haram and I am asking you again. Who are they? I have already told you that I do not believe everything that the so called media says. You want to know why? Because it is not a novelty, nor is it unusual for an alleged Muslim organization to surface suddenly in the wake of a terrible act of violence or repression, bloodshed or an outrageous act. The west is adept at creating monsters, giving them a suggestive name and then go on to build a reputation for it that would be repugnant.

It tells me that American society offers much more freedom to women than Muslim society, and that freedom does have inherent risks.

No, I do not. But I warn you as a believer that you must fear Allah's wrath. And do not court punishment. Similar to what the people of Sodom did.That must be the understatement of the decade! From an Islamic POV your brand of liberty is creating lasciviousness in your homes and society. Out dating marriage and breaking-up the family unit. Sacred institutions smashed and replaced by generations of ******s, gays, transgenders, drug addicts and alcoholics. Floating populations of fringe elements destroying their mother societies.

But there aren't many American women who would trade their freedom for the "safety" of virtual house arrest, which is how traditional Muslim women are treated.

I have already answered that. If what you are saying was true, why are scores of, women mainly, are entering into the fold of Islam. Just do a google and see what you get.

I will give you a taste of what you may find: Why European women are turning to Islam

By Peter Ford, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor DECEMBER 27, 2005     

PARIS � Mary Fallot looks as unlike a terrorist suspect as one could possibly imagine: a petite and demure white Frenchwoman chatting with friends on a cell-phone, indistinguishable from any other young woman in the caf� where she sits sipping coffee.

And that is exactly why European antiterrorist authorities have their eyes on thousands like her across the continent.

Ms. Fallot is a recent convert to Islam. In the eyes of the police, that makes her potentially dangerous. http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1227/p01s04-woeu.html

You don't know that. You know that reports of rape are rare, and the reason is obvious. Unless the woman can get four eyewitnesses (!) to testify on her behalf, the rapist will be absolved and the victim is often the one who is punished.

And that is why rate of rape is low? LOL..........

As I implied, sex with nine year old girls and sex with slaves are both considered statutory rape; and most jurisdictions now recognize that rape can occur within a marriage as well ("marital rape").

Since when? Can you kindly quote relevant legislations? Last century, IMHO!Even within America, various states legislated at different times.

And I see you are deliberately avoiding an answer to examples posted from Judeo-Christian histories. Feeling embarrassed? LOL

Polygamous and temporary marriages can also lead to all sorts of exploitation. In fact the whole treatment of Muslim women under sharia is exploitative, IMHO.

Temporary marriages were allowed for a brief period of time for soldiers who had been away from their wives due to battle. But they were soon banned.

But the constraints against polygamy are so strict that a miniscule percentage marry more than once in Islam. OTOH, jews and christians started dibelieving marriage altogether and today men are marrying men and women are living with women.

Lots of them. As I may have mentioned, western culture and ethics have evolved over time. Muslim ethics are medieval (literally) by comparison.

But still a million times better than that of its western counterparts!

IMHO your "justice" is itself a crime.

LOL......like stoning morally crippled men who give unwanted attention to women?

Rape 'impossible' in marriage, says Muslim cleric
See also the Quran 2:223: "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will."

Read Surah Nisa to dispel your misleading knowledge. Read the whole Surah, if you wish to educate yourself.

Nobody's asking you to approve. Just understand that it's none of your business.

Of course, it is my business. The weakest kind of faith is to murmur a condemnation of a wrong. But the best kind of faith is that which physically stops wrongdoing.

Thanks for your opinion, but you obviously don't know any gay couples. (Probably just as well...)

I am warning you not to copy the people of Sodom. You will be severely punished.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2015 at 9:56pm

You showed yourself to be a conscientious person. But are you honestly like that?

No better or worse than anyone else.  I try.  That's the best anyone can say.

Quote It is absolutely astonishing to hear you draw such an analogy! Besides being inappropriate it demonstrates colossal st**idity or obvious and damnable dishonesty. First of all Islam did shine and how, for about 800 years in every way any religion could. We have already discussed that so I will not go over that again. But it makes me wonder how can you behave as if nothing of that sort was discussed and you cannot even claim ignorance.

For the first 800 years, maybe.  But what has it achieved lately?  It is badly in need of a Reformation.  The rules that (allegedly) worked so well in a tribal societies a thousand years ago no longer work in today's global village.  But Islam forbids "innovation".

Quote Islam proscribes contraception the way it is practised in the west. It holds that god Almighty provides for all of us, including babies. This precept made sense then and it makes sense now. Abortion is strongly banned for the same reason.

It made sense to forbid contraception when tribes needed as many babies as possible to grow.  Why does it make sense now, when the planet has just about reached its carrying capacity?

Quote Wives should be sensitive to their husband's needs. That is again seen differently in Islam from what the west prescribes.

Husbands should equally be sensitive to their wives' needs, shouldn't they?  Why does the Quran only instruct women about this?

Quote Although if violence within marriage is an indicator to go by and the extremely high divorce rate is anything to go by, Muslims are much better of.

In 2013 the World Health Organization published a report, Global and regional estimates
of violence against women
.  The report groups countries by region.  The Eastern Mediterranean region is of particular note because it consists entirely of major Muslim countries: Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, and Palestine.  In that region, the lifetime prevalence of violence in marriage ("physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence") is 37.0%, the second-highest score of the seven regions (exceeded only by the Hindu-dominated South-East Asian region at 37.7%).

Compare that to (Eastern) Europe at 25.4%, the Americas (not including U.S. or Canada) at 29.8%, and the "high income" region/category (including U.S., Canada and much of Western Europe) at 23.2%.  Now tell me again how Muslim women are "much better off" with regard to violence within marriage.

With regard to divorce rates, why would a low divorce rate make women better off?  Is a Muslim woman better off being trapped in a loveless and possibly abusive marriage than getting a divorce?

Quote Homosexuality is of course, not even worth talking about. It is abhorrent.

It's also none of your business, nor the business of government or the police.  It is a private matter between two individuals, and it's not abhorrent to them.

Quote No, if the norms are practical, prescribed by God Almighty then they need not change at all.

Even if the world changes?  Even if the world population becomes (as it may already be) too big for the planet's resources to support?

Quote In a few decades you will cease to exist.

In a few decades Muslim states will be overpopulated to the point of mass starvation.  Oh wait -- that's already happening.

Quote Why will I need to shut down my computer or get rid of my car or phone? What are you talking about?

What I'm saying is that all this technology is only available to you because of western liberalism.  It is not a gift from God.  It is a gift from modern secular science, of which there is scarcely any to be found in contemporary Islamic society.  The "knowledge" that the Quran encourages is not science.  It is the rote learning of Islam and the Quran.

Quote Where will you sell your cars, phones and air conditioners, if you sold them only to your own people?The success of the car industry, phone industry and all other industries that you boast of depends on the consumption outside the West. I am sure you are familiar with the arithmetic. Then how can you spout such nonsense?

I don't mind outsiders buying the products of western society.  I'm just saying that a purely Islamic lifestyle, untainted by western secular values, would have forego all those things.  Without the west you would still be riding horses to get around and saying prayers to cure toothaches.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2015 at 8:59am

Quote And which of these countries do you regard as "notable successes"?
None. Even though they are client states with access to western technologies.

So I come back to my original question: If Islam is the ideal form of society and/or government, why do we not see a single working example of this either in contemporary nations or even in the past half millennium or so?

Quote What is the difference between both, according to you? It seems a revolutionary to you is more preferable than a radical? Is it because of the contemporary connotations of these words? Because the dictionary holds them as synonymous!

A revolutionary is one who promotes a revolution, in this context a change in government.  "Radical" means extreme, as I said; and many revolutionaries are indeed extreme.  However, once in power, they are no longer the revolutionaries because they are the government.  Their ideology remains radical, however.

Anyway, semantics aside, my point was that Muslims cannot blame imperialism or colonialism for their extremist governments, when we force one batch of extremists out only to have Muslims themselves vote another batch of extremists right back in.

Quote The Quran and the Prophet PBUH encouraged Muslims to seek knowledge. They sought knowledge and became mathematicians, physicists and surgeons. And they taught other races.

That may have been true a thousand years ago, but look around you today.  Among Middle Eastern Muslims at least, "seeking knowledge" usually means reading the Quran and hadith, and little else.

Quote Don't tell me you forget so soon! Just the other day I attempted to show you a mirror which if you looked keenly in would have made you recoil with horror. http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-greatest-failure-of-Western-civilization

And I agreed that western civilzation has many problems; but our successes far, far outweigh our failures.

Quote As for Islam, tell me of one proven ill that Islam has caused?

How about all the Sunni/Shia violence that has been going on for a thousand years?  Religious wars could not happen without religion.

Quote I can, of course list numerous benefits that Islam has brought about.

Just one or two, please.

Quote What is better? Who decides that? You are incompetent because your knowledge is insufficient. You are not even well-taught by humans what to say of divine knowledge.

I was not taught by Allah at all.  He left it to incompetent and disputatious humans to spread His word.  If I had been Allah, people would not receive the Quran as hearsay.  The rocks and trees themselves would sing the Quran, and babies would be born with it already memorized.

Quote As for Allah's existence, it is seen every where by those who want to see it. The Quran is a divine book and every sentence speaks of ts divine origin. It is a pity you and your ilk are blind to its magnificence.

Yes, it's called the Tinkerbell Effect.  If you believe strongly enough, you will see evidence of your belief.  But it works for all religions, not just for Islam.  I've had Christians, Buddhists and Hindus all tell me the same thing.

Quote You say you learned from your failure but I see no sign of it. In fact, I see that the war and colonialists industry has become even more ruthless and it is now aiming at global dominion through arms supplies and exchange control.

We used to think slavery was okay, but not anymore.  We used to deny women's rights, but not anymore.  Islam still allows slavery, and still places women under the authority of men.

Quote Why the double standards again? When you cite sources, it is proof. But when we do it is not. This IS the attitude that you must change.

The "sources" you cite are just random Web pages, often with anonymous authors, and which do not cite sources themselves.  There is no "chain of narration", as your hadith scholars would put it.  My sources are either authorities themselves or reputable organizations that provide appropriate citations to recognized authorities.

Quote You cannot, because Muslims are not at all like that. the Muslim Ummah is bigger than Boko haram and ISIS.

You're right.  It's also the Taliban, and Al Qaeda, and Islamic Jihad, and Al-Shabaab, and Lashkar-e-Taiba, and Abu Sayyaf and on and on.  A great number of Muslims are like that.  My no means all, of course, nor even the majority; but enough that it's no mere coincidence.  There is something about Islam that encourages fanaticism.

Quote Why should it not be? He was a faithful servant of Allah and it was his wife's integrity at stake.

Because the Quran is supposed to be a message from Allah to all people.  It's not supposed to be a personal defense of one man's wife.

Quote There was a very good reason, in fact. Allah SWT wanted to see who were the hypocrites and who the believers.

You're saying that those who questioned Aisha's integrity were hypocrites and unbelievers?  Why?  Because they disregarded a scripture that hadn't even been revealed yet?

Quote Because no one needs substantiation against the best and most authentic substantiation.

You're assuming your conclusion.  How do you know the Quran is "the best and most authentic substantiation"?  Because it says so?

Quote The sun setting "in a spring of murky water" is an allegorical reference.

LOL Which is what religious apologists always say when they encounter a clear error in their scripture.

Quote You may want to read a completely logical explanation to the allegation at:http://www.letmeturnthetables.com/2011/03/sun-sets-in-murky-water-as-per-quran.html

The Web site doesn't actually explain the allegory at all.  An explanation would tell us what the "muddy pool" is an allegory of.  What does it represent, and why?

The site makes a great fuss about the translation of the word wajada ("found"), arguing that it can be translated as "perceived".  Perhaps it can be, but it makes little difference whether he found it or perceived it setting in a muddy pool.  It still implies that it was setting in a muddy pool; and the only way to escape that implication is to add the words "as if".  But I thought the Quran was complete.  Did Allah omit those words?

And if so, then we could play that game endlessly.  Was Muhammad's "night journey" also just an allegory?  How about the jinns?  Satan?  Perhaps when Allah said that men are tempted by Satan, He only meant "as if" by Satan.  Perhaps the moon did not actually split, but was only "as if" split.  Where do we stop with this?  Maybe the entire Quran is just an allegory, "as if" revealed by Allah.

The Web site also asserts that Muslims have always understood the "muddy pool" as allegorical.  Unfortunately, the tafsirs it cites as evidence are from seven centuries or more after Muhammad, which proves nothing.

Moreover, the verse also says that he reached the place where the sun sets.  We know that is impossible, regardless of what he perceived or found there.

No, there is no reason to suppose that Muhammad's contemporaries would have understood this passage as anything other than the sun literally setting at a particular place, in a literal muddy pool, with a people living near it.  If it's an analogy, it seems like a pointless one; and if it's an analogy, then virtually everything in the Quran could be an analogy.
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2015 at 9:51am
My judgement is limited to commenting on what you say and do. I am not judging you as a person. In fact, you're probably a pretty nice guy, and if we meet face to face we'd probably get along just fine.

That is good to hear. But when a person is stating a judgement it contains a bit of his own belief. It is not purely what he has read somewhere or heard from someone. But it is his belief then which matters, as to what it is based on.

It's not your fault that your parents filled your head with a bunch of mystical nonsense.

My parents introduced me to the basics of Islam. the rest I picked-up willingly, particularly after being convinced that it was the truth and the most compelling truth I had heard.

Well, no. I'm sorry, but stealing is stealing, and if I see someone stealing others' words or ideas without attribution, I feel compelled to point it out.

You showed yourself to be a conscientious person. But are you honestly like that?

But again, it's probably not your fault. You have just never given much thought to the ethics of passing off someone else's writing as your own.

No, I never try to pass it as my own. I forget.

If I bake a cake from a recipe, and it turns out horrible, then I might think maybe I made a mistake somewhere. But if a billion Muslims all over the world and for centuries follow the same recipe, and almost nowhere does a satisfactory cake result, then at some point I think you have to start wondering whether the recipe itself is wrong.

It is absolutely astonishing to hear you draw such an analogy! Besides being inappropriate it demonstrates colossal st**idity or obvious and damnable dishonesty.

First of all Islam did shine and how, for about 800 years in every way any religion could. We have already discussed that so I will not go over that again. But it makes me wonder how can you behave as if nothing of that sort was discussed and you cannot even claim ignorance.

Islam has produced great leaders, statesmen, diplomats, generals, soldiers, scientists, doctors and engineers besides men of honour and integrity.

You should go to http://lostislamichistory.com/ and educate yourself in certain aspects of the history of Islam.

Huffington Post describes your mental state as historical amnesia. LOL

"In his recent article, Sam Harris, a popular critic of Islam, referred to Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani education activist, as "the best thing to come out of the Muslim world in 1,000 years." Hidden in this comment is the idea that Malala's fellow Muslims are backward and that her religion, Islam, is not conducive to change or progress.

Conversely to the beliefs of Harris and others like him, Muslims have actually made enormous contributions to civilization, perhaps due to the heavy emphasis that Islam places on knowledge. People who forget or blatantly ignore major trends or events in world history can be said to suffer from "historical amnesia." Though this mindset cannot be cured in one short blog post, I hope to dispel some of the stereotypes and misperceptions exacerbated by Harris and other anti-Islam activists by highlighting the contributions that Muslims have made to civilization over the years."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/overcoming-historical-amnesia_b_4135868.html?ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in

On the contrary, I see that. That is exactly what I'm saying. Times and circumstances change, and society's norms must change along with them.

For instance, Islam encourages large families through various religious and cultural norms (polygamy, wives' obligation to be sexually available to their husbands, attitudes toward contraception and abortion and homosexuality).

Islam proscribes contraception the way it is practised in the west. It holds that god Almighty provides for all of us, including babies. This precept made sense then and it makes sense now. Abortion is strongly banned for the same reason.

Wives should be sensitive to their husband's needs. That is again seen differently in Islam from what the west prescribes. Although if violence within marriage is an indicator to go by and the extremely high divorce rate is anything to go by, Muslims are much better of. Homosexuality is of course, not even worth talking about. It is abhorrent.

That made sense in the seventh century., when population was sparse and children were needed to support their parents. It doesn't make sense in advanced societies today, where overpopulation, not underpopulation, is the problem; where machines, not children, do most of the work; and where social support systems can provide for the elderly, who therefore need not be dependent on their children.

No, if the norms are practical, prescribed by God Almighty then they need not change at all.

Procreation is an activity that is practiced to
perpetuate the human race. Not to create slaves, servants or helpers. Muslims have large families because they love children and nurture them as gifts from God Almighty. Your societies need to do urgent rethink on their negative growth rates.

Your women are averse to childbirth. Which is why surrogacy is preferred.

In a few decades you will cease to exist.

Advanced civilization has certainly created a great many problems, no question about it. The question is, has it created more problems than it solved?

You have definitely created more problems. In my humble opinion, you are teetering just above an abyss. You can still save yourself. I am sure you know that the weapons of mass destruction that you invented are sufficient to annihilate the human race more than ten thousand times over.

In other words, would you rather live in an Islamic culture, or a western one?

In an Islamic culture, of course!

And before you answer that, please consider all the things you currently enjoy that are unequivocally part of western, liberal, secular culture. To live a purely Islamic life, without any western influence, you would need to shut down your computer, for a start.

Then disconnect your phone (cell phone too). If you have air conditioning, turn it off. Get rid of your car -- if a horse or a camel was good enough for Muhummad, then it's good enough for you, right? Oh, and if you get sick, don't accept modern medical treatment. Just pray, and see how that works.

Why will I need to shut down my computer or get rid of my car or phone? What are you talking about? Don't you ever pay heed to what I tell you? I can see now that this is a mental block that prevents my words to register in your mind.

Let me say this one more time. The God of Islam and the Prophet PBUH that he sent and the book that He sent with him teach us that we must acquire knowledge even with hardship and sacrifice? Now why would have they said that if improvements in standards of life were not desirable? The fruits of science and technology that you are enjoying and which we are enjoying as well, are a gift of God to all mankind. So, why should we deprive ourselves of them? Why??????

Muhammad PBUH used the means available to him. But he never ordered a ban on things to come. Why would he have? A horse was good enough for him and so was it for us. But if God Almighty has blessed us with better transportation and communication devices we are grateful to him.

Look around you, and see all the items you use daily that are undeniably western in origin, and which would not have existed in a culture that spurned "innovation" and free inquiry. Science and secular values created those things. Not Islam, and not Allah

I knew there was a blind spot in your reasoning. You have proved my suspicion here.

The West that we keep referring to in our conversations is a cultural entity within certain geographical boundaries which have a history that we both know about. It is a product of its culture, religion, norms, practices and convictions. Yet it is within the dominion of God Almighty. Thus, its product does not belong to it alone. In fact, your own brethren will rebuke you if they learnt what you might be promoting . It is rank bad economics!

Where will you sell your cars, phones and air conditioners, if you sold them only to your own people?The success of the car industry, phone industry and all other industries that you boast of depends on the consumption outside the West.

I am sure you are familiar with the arithmetic. Then how can you spout such nonsense?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 47>
  Share Topic