IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - obligation for Muslims to condemn the extremists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

obligation for Muslims to condemn the extremists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 3:55am
Yesterday in the tv news media that there were at least 300 young British Muslims who joined IS and the person who executed the American journalist/spy was a UK national.

There must be something wrong with ISLAM if young people are being indoctrinated into hate and violence against non Mulsims.
La Ilaha IllAllah
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

As Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria butcher thousands of �infidels� and carry off their women and children into slavery, many in the West are inclined to see this as an unique outcrop of Islamic fundamentalism. Yet after overrunning a Bosnian town on 11th July 1995, Bosnian Serb � ostensibly Christian � forces, cold-bloodedly massacred 8,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica. Hutu genocide of Tutsi in Rwanda, Khmer Rouge mass-murder of Cambodian city-dwellers, Nazi genocide of Jews, Gypsies and the disabled�. the list of savagery is as long as it is profoundly depressing.

How many of these atrocities were committed explicitly in the name of religion?  Yes, religion was often involved as a means to an end, but it played a minor role at best.  The main goal was usually ethnic or political or social.

I'm not sure that this discussion is asking the right question.  Most Muslims already condemn extremism, at least verbally.  I would rather ask about the obligation of Muslims to do something about those who commit atrocities in the name of Islam.  They complain bitterly when Western powers intervene in their affairs, and often retaliate against the Westerners; but if they won't look after their own issues, what other choice do we have?

I remember a rather chilling discussion on this board a few years ago, when a Muslim asked whether other Muslims would ever align themselves with non-Muslims in a conflict against "fellow Muslims", even if the Muslims were clearly in the wrong.  I was shocked at the number of Muslims who declared that they could never do that.  I think that is the heart of the problem.
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Yesterday in the tv news media that there were at least 300 young British Muslims who joined IS and the person who executed the American journalist/spy was a UK national.

Did the executioner shout "God Save the Queen!" when he did his grisly deed, or was it "Allahu Akbar!"?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 6:52am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

There must be something wrong with ISLAM if young people are being indoctrinated into hate and violence against non Mulsims.

I think Muslims need a heightened awareness of the "narrative" our youth are exposed (indoctrinated by) to from some segments of our community. A case in point is your signature line: "In Dar Ul Kuffar (UK)"
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

As Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria butcher thousands of �infidels� and carry off their women and children into slavery, many in the West are inclined to see this as an unique outcrop of Islamic fundamentalism. Yet after overrunning a Bosnian town on 11th July 1995, Bosnian Serb � ostensibly Christian � forces, cold-bloodedly massacred 8,000 Bosnian Muslims at Srebrenica. Hutu genocide of Tutsi in Rwanda, Khmer Rouge mass-murder of Cambodian city-dwellers, Nazi genocide of Jews, Gypsies and the disabled�. the list of savagery is as long as it is profoundly depressing.

How many of these atrocities were committed explicitly in the name of religion?  Yes, religion was often involved as a means to an end, but it played a minor role at best.  The main goal was usually ethnic or political or social.

I'm not sure that this discussion is asking the right question.  Most Muslims already condemn extremism, at least verbally.  I would rather ask about the obligation of Muslims to do something about those who commit atrocities in the name of Islam.  They complain bitterly when Western powers intervene in their affairs, and often retaliate against the Westerners; but if they won't look after their own issues, what other choice do we have?

I remember a rather chilling discussion on this board a few years ago, when a Muslim asked whether other Muslims would ever align themselves with non-Muslims in a conflict against "fellow Muslims", even if the Muslims were clearly in the wrong.  I was shocked at the number of Muslims who declared that they could never do that.  I think that is the heart of the problem.

No, the "heart of the problem" is that the "western powers" have often been instrumental in allowing the extremist organizations to wreak havoc in Muslim countries.  There are numerous examples.  Who armed and trained Al-Qaeda to fight the Soviets and then left Afghanistan to the extremists?  Who is providing support to terrorist organizations like the MEK in Iran? 

And who is to blame for creating the current mess in Iraq?  Before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, there was no Al-Qaeda in Iraq or ISIS.  Sure, Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator, but guess who armed him in the 1980s?  He gassed his own people.  Guess who gave him those chemical weapons? 

Ultimately, Muslims will have to deal with the extremist fringe, but that can only happen when the western powers and their puppet rulers are removed from the scene.  Their presence only adds fuel to the fire.
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Ron Webb Ron Webb wrote:

Thumbs%20Up
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2014 at 2:22pm

I think Muslims need a heightened awareness of the "narrative" our youth are exposed (indoctrinated by) to from some segments of our community. A case in point is your signature line: "In Dar Ul Kuffar (UK)"

Thumbs%20Up
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Muslim75 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslim75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2014 at 10:45am

After the Islamic State released horrifying video of militants beheading U.S. journalist James Foley, the world has reacted with outrage including from Muslims worldwide. Is there more of an obligation for Muslims to condemn the extremists?

http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/journalist-james-foley-isis-beheading-killing-muslim-condemnation/53f21d3afe34440c7b00047f

I do not agree. As muslims, we comdemn extremism in our every action. These people endoctrinate only those who are prone to crime. We don't need to speak out against them whenever they commit some crime. We disown them all at once.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic