IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 5:52am
Just for my general knowledge, what is kosher wine?

thank you.
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

Just for my general knowledge, what is kosher wine?

thank you.

I would guess it to be wine that has been blessed by a Rabbi, like kosher food, but do the Jews even drink wine?  Is it permissible for them?  I don't know.  I hope maybe we will get an answer from someone of the Jewish faith... or I could maybe do some Googling and find out. Smile
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 8:49pm
Try KosherWine.com
I knew a Jewish lady made her own wine. Called it her "every day" wine.

Not saying an entire nation does every day wine.
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 8:56am
(To continue from the instructions given to Gentiles at the meeting) in Acts 15:
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well

--- There is a comparable verse in Surah 5:
3 Forbidden to you is the flesh of an animal which dies of itself, and blood and the flesh of swine; and that on which is invoked the name of any other than ALLAH; and that which has been strangled; and that which has been beaten to death; and that which has been killed by a fall and that which has been gored to death; and that of which a wild animal has eaten, (except that which you have properly slaughtered); --- and (forbidden) that which has been slaughtered, at an altar as an offering to idols

The difference is the instruction not to eat �the flesh of swine� which is generally called pork. --- So, in obedience, Muslims are not to eat pork, but that restriction did not apply to the Gentile Christians in Antioch, Syria, Cilicia, and the Christians in Asia Minor

The Jews, including Jesus and the Apostles, would not eat pork, and it is doubtful if Jewish converts would start eating pork. --- However, there had never been a restriction for Gentiles.
--- Consider this: --- Pigs are not kept as house pets like cats, they cannot be trained like dogs, they are no good for riding as horses, and no good to harness and used to pull a farm implement. --- So, what is their purpose except for food?

In hot climates they have warned against the danger of trichinosis, from a parasite that lives in the animal, --- so the advice is always to cook the meat very well.

This has not been a problem in most climates, but when God gave the instructions of animals �good for food,� --- He made this distinction in Leviticus 11:
1 Now the Lord spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying to them,
2 �Speak to the children of Israel, saying, �These are the animals which you may eat among all the animals that are on the earth:
3 Among the animals, whatever divides the hoof, having cloven hooves and chewing the cud�that you may eat.
4 Nevertheless these you shall not eat among those that chew the cud or those that have cloven hooves: the camel, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
5 the rock hyrax, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
6 the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have cloven hooves, is unclean to you;
7 and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you.
8 Their flesh you shall not eat, and their carcasses you shall not touch. They are unclean to you.

It gives a list of clean animals, and then repeats this same instruction in Deuteronomy 14:
4 These are the animals which you may eat: the ox (beef), the sheep, the goat,
5 the deer, the gazelle, the roe deer, the wild goat, the mountain goat, the antelope, and the mountain sheep.
6 And you may eat every animal with cloven hooves, having the hoof split into two parts, and that chews the cud, among the animals.

So this was the instruction for the Jews from the time of Moses.
--- For Christian Gentiles, they were allowed to eat pork as well.
For Muslims there was instruction in this verse in the Quran, not to eat pork.

Placid

Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 1:25pm
Thanks for the info Placid, that's good to know!

Who are Christian Gentiles and why doesn't Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 apply to them regarding swine?

Edited by Rational - 12 January 2013 at 1:27pm
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 1:56pm
Greetings Placid,
I'm glad you had the time and energy for this teaching. Smile
Should you not include the part in the scriptures where Jesus teaches about 'clean' and 'unclean' and that it is not about what you put into your stomach but what comes from the heart?
Peace,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 12 January 2013 at 1:59pm
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:28pm
Hi Caringheart, is this what you are referring to? I had this in Post #6

I don't recall Jesus ever talking about dietary laws. That wasn't "the law" He was concerned with. He also cared less about the laws made by the scribes and pharisees which challenged Him in Matthew 15 about the disciples not washing before eating bread. They called it "tradition of the elders" Jesus called them on their wishy wash everything habits, then turned to the crowd and said Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. In those days bread was used two ways. It was a staple food, and it was also used as a napkin that was thrown to the dogs.
It was Peter that came to Jesus and said, "can you explain that?" Jesus does in verses 15 thru 20.
Now I don't see anything in there about eating a pig, but in His explanation it would/could be understood as a possibility if the reasoning behind pork was a health issue.
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 3:41pm
Hi Caringheart,
if there are no laws, there is no need for a savior, no need to suffer, no need to live though the pains of this life, no right, no wrong. Anyone could do anything and it will be fine.
Fortunately, we are humans, we see all beliefs teach laws, have certain restrictions, have laws regarding important things in our lives. To say that Christianity freed people from laws that govern a very important part of their lives is simply against that very understanding.

And does it not make sense that if a command is being repealed, it will be done through another command? Can you show me a command where the dietary laws of the OT were changed by God?
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic