IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 5:24pm
Thanks Caringheart and Webber for your replies. But the question was:

Do you have the statement from Jesus (as) where he made swine lawful? (yes/no)

I really didn't ask for anything else. If you don't have this statement from Jesus (as), just say so. Please just answer yes or no.

Edited by Rational - 09 February 2013 at 5:26pm
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 5:45pm
No.

We have no law from God to say swine was unlawful for Gentiles, therefore nothing to reverse, no statement required.

Edited by Webber - 09 February 2013 at 7:04pm
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2013 at 8:03pm
Greetings Rational,

Your question has been asked and answered many times over.  I'm afraid you just don't have 'ears to hear'.
That's ok, there certainly is no reason for you to take up eating pork, or for you  to worry about my soul because I do.

Peace to us all, Smile
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:50am
Hi Rational,

Jesus said In Matthew 6:
31 �Therefore do not worry, saying, �What shall we eat?� or �What shall we drink?� or �What shall we wear?�
32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

In Surah 3, Jesus said:
49 --- AND I DECLARE TO YOU WHAT YOU EAT, --- and what ye store in your houses. Surely therein is a Sign for you if ye did believe;
50 "I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. --- AND TO MAKE LAWFUL TO YOU PART OF WHAT WAS BEFORE FORBIDDEN TO YOU; --- I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord.

--- (Notice that this allows for changes for Christians, from the Law of Moses.)

And at the meeting in Acts 15, where they gave instructions for the Gentile Christians in Antioch in Syria, --- James the half-brother of Jesus officiated at the meeting, and all the Apostles were in attendance, so all of these Jewish leaders, wrote this letter in Acts 15:
28 For it seemed good to --- the Holy Spirit, --- and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Let�s compare this list to Surah 5:
3 Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling.

So the simple understanding should be that Gentile Christians were always allowed to eat Pork, --- whereas Muslims, in the Quran, are instructed not to.

Placid

Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 1:37pm
So Webber and Caringheart, you don't follow the OT.
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 8:11pm
The OT was a record of how the Israelites became Jews. Not that I want to take away from the worth of it all, but I'm not a Jew, never was, never can be even if I tried, why am I stuck with their laws? Let's not forget how far these "laws" have come. I grew up with a diet that was obviously healthy enough to keep me alive and it wasn't Kosher. Could I consider the 10% increase in grocery costs to go kosher as my tithe?

I mentioned, (probably in another thread) I'm a Pauline Christian.
That's where us Gentiles fit in best.

Halal isn't kosher so you don't have to worry about the OT list either however I'm not sure how you got out of it.
Considering Jesus said he came to allow some of what was forbidden both Christians and Muslims look to Him for these changes. 

The command from Jesus you've been asking us for (the new clean list including swine) would no doubt included camel as well, right?

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 9:38pm
Greetings Rational,

I am so sure that I have thoroughly answered this question, many times, but to put it for you one more time.
As with all things religious, no question has a simple, one dimensional answer.  God is far from being one dimensional.

I follow Jesus, so anything that Jesus required is what I am bound by.  I follow for sure the ten commandments given to Moses, and all of the moral laws that are in both the old and the new testament.  Do I follow the 613 mitzvot that the Jews follow, no.  Have I considered it, yes, but only out of pure preference... things like celebrating the Jewish feast days, but then I realized they do not apply to me... I am not of the people God saved out from slavery in Egypt, so does it make sense for me to celebrate the passover, or any of the other feasts of the Jews?  Do the laws applied to the Jews apply to me?  Not really.

I follow the old testament in the sense that the old testament informs all that is in the new testament.

The new testament(mystery) is concealed in the old (the prophesy of Jesus to come)
and the old testament(mystery) is revealed in the new (the coming of Jesus reveals what was hidden in the old testament)

...that I might fully declare God's Word--that sacred mystery which up till now has been hidden in every age and every generation, but which is now as clear as daylight to those who love God.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 10 February 2013 at 9:41pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 4:02pm
I understand. Thanks.
الله
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic