IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2013 at 7:29am
Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

Where did you get your list?

Here:
http://www.daruliftaa.com/question?txt_QuestionID=q-18090311

** EDIT: I just found another page that seems to have the same content but presented a bit better:
http://www.central-mosque.com/index.php/General-Fiqh/the-fiqh-of-halal-and-haram-animals.html

Edited by Rational - 30 January 2013 at 7:37am
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 8:00pm
Peace and Grace be with you Rational.

Thanks for a response. This is most interesting as it was Jesus saying this, which at the time He would have been speaking to not only His disciples, but to a Jewish group as well. This is like an extension of what Caringheart posted. Considering the response of the Jews it could have been part of the same convo. In neither case does it go on to a new list though.

Where did you get your list?

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 4:01pm

Okay, now I'm confused. How does camel and hare make the okay list? The same reasons were given in the Torah for swine and camels.  

Assalamo alaik Webber,

"And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me." (3:50)

It's not unusual for a prophet to make lawful what was previously forbidden.

Edited by Rational - 29 January 2013 at 4:02pm
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 11:54am
Of course Jesus followed the Jewish laws, He was a Jew. You don't get out of being a Jew. There again, you can't "say" you are a Jew, you either are or are not. Jesus did not follow Halal, He followed Kosher and there is a difference.
I wouldn't mind seeing the chapter and verse where God went from Kosher to Halal, which now contains camel and hare. Thankfully not camel hair.
Then there's the "softening" of Halal, (and kosher, btw) rules to allow American Muslims to eat "Halal" foods in the States, erm.

Following Jewish law is another thing. Paul told the Gentiles, if you want to follow Jewish rule you will be bound to all of it. Not even Muslims want to do that. Think about it.
What I'm picking up on here is "emulation". It's much bigger in Islam than Christianity. For one thing, we don't have any photos of Jesus so I'm not going to do the beard and robe thing as I don't want to be someone's impression of what jesus might have looked like.

On the other hand there was a time Muhammad ate locust and wiped his butt with three rocks or leaves, (possibly Jesus too), should we add that to our list of should do?

There seems to be a tremendous amount of pressure on Muslims to "hate" anything pork. It's like the line between people with any possible potential of ever really being human and absolute kafir. Worship an idol, then eat a pig kind of dirty. It's ingrown like a toenail.

If somebody doesn't come up with a camel and hare solution I'm going to call this a double standard that all my Muslim friends are going to have to put up with. Maybe some of you too.

I'm a Gentile.
nospam001 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nospam001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2013 at 12:00am

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Maybe that's why we're not supposed to eat them... intelligent life?

...cannibals have said people taste like pork...
The atheist writer Christopher Hitchens argued that a strict ban on eating pig meat may have helped to support an older prohibition against cannibalism. He added that firefighters often develop a strong aversion to the smell of roast pork.
Quote I wonder what Ron would say...
Yeah, me too. I hope he comes back soon.

God has the right to remain silent. For His advocates, however, each resigned shrug is a missed opportunity to win new converts.
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 9:54pm
It was the Jewish elders of Jersalam that instructed Paul on the dietary laws for Gentiles. I mentioned it a couple dozen posts back.
I'm a Gentile.
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 7:06pm
Salaam,

Christians conveniently quote Matthew 15:11

Matthew 15:11

King James Version (KJV)

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

However, nowhere in the NT would you find Jesus (Alayhi Salaam) making halal what was made haram.
I suspect what happened was that the early Christians knew that the gentiles that they reached out to would not keep the dietery laws of the OT because they would find that almost impossible to follow, so they got rid of it. Simple.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Placid,
I understand that. What seems to be the issue is:
Jesus was a Jew, according to Christians, and Jews follow what God commanded them in the OT. So to say that one is a Jew, but not follow the Jewish law is....?
Hasan

I'm butting in I know, but... Wink

Yes, Jesus was a Jew and it was Jesus Himself who was teaching that people should not be so focused on what goes into the stomach
'for it is not what goes into a man that counts,
but what comes out of the heart'

It's not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth ... (these are the words of Jesus)

The Ethiopic version renders it, "it is not what enters from without into the mouth of man, which can defile him; but only what goes out of the heart of man, this defiles ...

http://bible.cc/mark/7-15.htm

Salaam,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic