IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 4:23am

Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

Jesus never ate a pizza either.

He never ate rats either, i'm sure. And pizza wasn't mentioned in the OT.

I believe I've mentioned a couple times I doubt Jesus would ever have opportunity to eat pork. As a Jew it wouldn't�even be on a menu.

Just because he didn't have pork "on the menu" doesn't mean he would have eaten pork if it had been "on the menu". You do realize that he had many other things not "on the menu"? So everything that was not on Jesus menu can now become clean. Yummy!

All i'm hearing are excuses from all of you. Although Webber doesn't eat pig as much as Caringheart which is good

Edited by Rational - 07 February 2013 at 9:44am
الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 4:22am
Hi Placid,

Originally posted by Placid Placid wrote:

Yes I think this has pretty well run its course.

Conveniently for you, maybe.

Was it not you Rational, that quoted this about a page back? --- What Jesus said about the law in Surah 3:
50 (I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (Before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear God, and obey me.

Yes I did say that, along with a question that was ignored. He did make things lawful that were forbidden. Where does it state that he made pork lawful? Placid, Do you have this statement from Jesus (as) ?

I don't believe Jesus or the other Jews ever ate pork

Because Jesus (as) follows the OT.

I wonder if you Muslims realize how vulnerable you can make yourselves by this great stigma you have about pork? What if a transport plane landed in a country where so called Muslims were attacking innocent people, --- and the plane was loaded with pigs.

So, if they landed the plane, released the pigs and chased them in all directions, then the so called Muslims would take off, would they not?

What are you talking about??? Diverting from the subject completely Placid Confused

so called Muslims were attacking innocent people

Exactly, so called muslims. They are not muslims to me or you. And where are those attacks taking place that you mention?

الله
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

We'll never really know what Jesus ate other than what is spoken of in the scriptures, which was fish and bread and wine, will we?

How can you say you don't know but yet say that you believe in the OT? Jesus was a follower of the OT and it says not to eat swine. So did he follow the OT or not?

Probably not and if I wanted to follow Jesus completely... if I wanted to become a Jew... I guess I would not...

I respect your honesty. You admitted that you don't want to follow Jesus completely. Any reason? And you don't think he ate pork, obviously because he was following the law from the OT, which I assume you believe because it's in the same book you pray from. Do you believe the OT to be the word of God or not?

but I was born a gentile and I grew up eating bacon which I love, so while there is a part of me that hears the old testament and the laws given to the Jews and a part of me feels that I want to follow God in every way... a part of me says to give up pork, but I doubt I will ever give it up completely... it's 'the other white meat'(aside from chicken that is) and healthier than beef which I don't eat at all anymore.  In fact I hardly eat meat.

So ultimately you are excusing yourself on the merits that "I grew up eating bacon which I love". People grow up diong various things, doesn't mean they must continue doing them. A part of you hears the OT but choses not to follow. Sounds like you pick and choose what you want to follow from the bible.

But as a gentile I have never been told that there was anything I could not eat.  These things were not the concern of Jesus.

You were not told because that's the way you were raised. Doesn't mean it's right. To say that Jesus was not concerned with these things is like saying Jesus was not concerned with the OT. Simple. No?

Edited by Rational - 07 February 2013 at 3:52am
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 8:25pm
Jesus never ate a pizza either.
The only two records I know of that included Jesus eating, once was bread, the other was broiled fish. Not to say He only ate twice in His life, that's all the info we have.

I believe I've mentioned a couple times I doubt Jesus would ever have opportunity to eat pork. As a Jew it wouldn't even be on a menu.

I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 2:48pm
Hi,

Yes I think this has pretty well run its course.

Quote: But if you follow Jesus (as), he never ate pig? Or did he?

Was it not you Rational, that quoted this about a page back? --- What Jesus said about the law in Surah 3:
50 (I have come to you), to attest the Law which was before me. And to make lawful to you part of what was (Before) forbidden to you; I have come to you with a Sign from your Lord. So fear God, and obey me.

I don't believe Jesus or the other Jews ever ate pork, the same as true Muslims don't likely eat pork, but it was not a restriction for the Gentiles.

I wonder if you Muslims realize how vulnerable you can make yourselves by this great stigma you have about pork? What if a transport plane landed in a country where so called Muslims were attacking innocent people, --- and the plane was loaded with pigs.

So, if they landed the plane, released the pigs and chased them in all directions, then the so called Muslims would take off, would they not?

That could be a 'peaceful protest' could it not?

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

But if you follow Jesus (as), he never ate pig? Or did he? Tongue Pig

Greetings Rational,

We'll never really know what Jesus ate other than what is spoken of in the scriptures, which was fish and bread and wine, will we?
Did He eat pork...

Probably not and if I wanted to follow Jesus completely... if I wanted to become a Jew... I guess I would not... but I was born a gentile and I grew up eating bacon which I love, so while there is a part of me that hears the old testament and the laws given to the Jews and a part of me feels that I want to follow God in every way... a part of me says to give up pork, but I doubt I will ever give it up completely... it's 'the other white meat'(aside from chicken that is) and healthier than beef which I don't eat at all anymore.  In fact I hardly eat meat. 

This does not mean I would ever want, or expect those raised to not eat it to change their ways either, and I would restrain myself from eating anything offensive in their presence as it says to do in the new testament... 'to not do what is offensive to thy brother' or 'that which might cause them to stumble'.

But as a gentile I have never been told that there was anything I could not eat.  These things were not the concern of Jesus.

Salaam,
Caringheart

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 6:35am

It's about time to drop the gavel on this one.

But if you follow Jesus (as), he never ate pig? Or did he? Tongue Pig

Edited by Rational - 06 February 2013 at 6:40am
الله
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 11:37pm
Words heard come in thru the ears. Words spoken can defile a man so fast...
Legit question, is everything now clean?What ever goes into your stomach goes thru the acid test. Not much survives, think about it. Modern science tells us what's poison, including vegitation which looks like the Israelites were either privy listed, or left to find out on their own.

I very well know what an aversion Muslims have to swine. It's not something likely to change either, Muslims will always hate anything associated.

I was asked at the beginning of this thread if I eat pork and my answer was yes. Reason being I can't say no if I remember eating it in my past, nor reserved to say it will never happen again, but also mentioned it is not part of my regular diet. If once kafir, always kafir, call me Kafebber, whatever.

I know, I churn that aversion, and poke for responses like I'm some big pig eatin advocate, but not so, and please know that I would never encourage a Muslim to go against his laws.

I was in a Timmy's with a friend one day, he ordered something with bacon in it. My friend asked the kid making it if he'd ever eaten bacon. The kid, (obviously Muslim) said no but he had heard it was very good. I asked him what he would do after he ate it. We made eye contact, no words, he thought about it, I scared him with what he was thinking. Chances are he'll never try bacon, even if prompted again. I don't know about you but I thank God for using me on such occasions.

Did anyone read as far as Deuteronomy 14: 21?
Quote  Ye shall not eat of anything that dieth of itself: thou shalt give it unto the stranger that is in thy gates, that he may eat it; or thou mayest sell it unto an alien: for thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God.

Anything that dieth of itself is unclean. Just like pigs and camels.
An Israelite was not allowed to eat it but could give it to a Gentile who lived in the city, or sell it to a Gentile outside of the city.

Obviously God did not make these laws for Gentiles or the ruling would have been to bury it, or something more along those lines.

This is a bold enough statement to say God never made dietary laws for Gentiles. If He never made them in the first place, you won't find anywhere where He changed them, and no reason to go looking for them.

It's about time to drop the gavel on this one.

BTW, the reason you are allowed to eat hare is because they eat their feces.
Comforting thought.
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic