IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Burning the Qur'an...?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBurning the Qur'an...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

.......... So many scholars and leaders of various faiths around the world came forward and condemned this action. ..........

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah.

The imam of the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday said that a US pastor�s threat to burn copies of the Holy Qur�an was an act of terrorism and an incitement to terrorism.

Delivering his Eid sermon to the nearly 2.5 million faithful who thronged the mosque, Sheikh Saleh Bin-Humaid also called the move an act of aggression against Islam, its followers and its sanctity.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, senior princes and Cabinet members attended the congregation.

Bin-Humaid, who is chairman of the Supreme Judiciary Council, urged Muslims to establish better relations with other communities and cultures.

�We call for more solid relations, greater understanding, mutual respect and cooperation between peoples,� the imam said, stressing the importance of interfaith dialogue.

�It�s from this holy city, the capital of Islam and Muslims, the interfaith dialogue conference set off in order to build bridges of dialogue and understanding and peaceful coexistence and reject all forms of terrorism and fanaticism,� Bin-Humaid said.

The imam described Islam as a religion of truth, moderation and tolerance.

Bin-Humaid said the Holy Qur�an is an eternal miracle as Muslims during the past 14 centuries have been linked with the Holy Book.

�It�s not a historical artifact or a rare document. It�s the basis of the Islamic faith and a book of guidance, law and morals.�

The imam said God Almighty has promised that He would protect the Holy Qur�an until the Day of Judgment. He also reiterated Muslims� continued faith in other prophets and divine books such as the Bible and the Torah.

�Do not argue with the People of the Book except in the best manner,� the imam told Muslims, quoting a verse from the Holy Qur�an.

In Madinah, Sheikh Ali Al-Hudaify, imam of the Prophet�s Mosque, cautioned Muslims against Al-Qaeda�s extremist ideology that encourages to kill and frighten innocent people.

�Those who support them with money or encourage them by words or give them cover are sinful like them,� the imam said.

ref: http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article133785.ece

Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 7:11am
Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

They used to Burn Catholic Churches, now they Burn Mosques

That has nothing to do is the President of the United States pleading with the pastor not to burn the Koran because of fear of Islam's violent threats.      America and the President of the United States held hostage by Islam 9 1 1 2010.

What would happen to someone who burnt the koran in Saudi home of islam?

Doug L.

It seems the impending second childhood is hampering the ability for a coherent argument.
Hypothetical is not my cup of tea so Saudi shouldn't be yours, get a life ...LOL
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 9:34am

The imam of the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday said that a US pastor�s threat to burn copies of the Holy Qur�an was an act of terrorism and an incitement to terrorism.

Can anyone defend this statement??  Is book burning by an obscure pastor in the United States now considered an act of terrorism??  It is no wonder that so many international panels have utterly failed to agree on a definition of terrorism when we have statements like this.  I do, however, agree with the Imam that this might be considered an incitement to terrorism.  I do hope that this is merely his observation and not his wish.  
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I do, however, agree with the Imam that this might be considered an incitement to terrorism. 

Then can this act be termed as "intellectual terrorism�?
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 11:38am
Oh no, Peacemaker, not you too!  I just had a little conversation with Gibbs who tried to call this flag burning a form of violence, symbolic violence he maintained.  You personally can call it whatever you want, just so "intellectual terrorism" and "symbolic violence" do not become crimes.  Maybe we ought to call it a thought crime and have a symbolic trial and hand out a symbolic sentence.  
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 7:39am
Schmuckbob

I think you fail to understand that despite what we think are harmless acts or acts without any legal transgression they can be inferred as violent acts or in this case terrorist acts. I disagree with calling this an act of terrorism. Terrorism I believe along the lines of how the U.S defines it, is an act that not only endagers the lives of people, but an act or acts that instills fear. Is book burning free speech? Yes. Is it meaningful dialogue? No. Doesn't matter if this is an obscure individual the fact that he has rallied so many people including those that are on his side made him popular. His act may not be violent in the way a mugger is violent to a victim but what I mean violence in the sense of symbolism. For example his act basically means he can't do harm to Muslims for fear of committing a crime, or transgressing free speech. So the next best thing to harm Muslims is to harm their holy book. Hence, a violent act. You can do something symbolic as that his intent was to do harm to the ideals and beliefs of a people which consequently incite violence. Flag burning is free speech and many Afghans did that when they learned of this pastor. They (Afghans) are not physically harming me but they are harming the ideals of what America stands for in the flag. Sorry its a more philosophical approach. Now you are welcome to disagree but if you don't get it its hopeless. If you really don't get it think of voodoo and sticking pins in a doll

Edited by Gibbs - 18 September 2010 at 7:50am
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 7:18pm
Gibbs, I absolutely agree that burning the Quran in this country can cause members of Islam to become angry.  However, does this symbolic act justify whatever violence is perpetrated in response?  As for your comment about voodoo and sticking pins in dolls that is also a symbolic act, it does no harm to anyone, and while disturbing on many levels, is absolutely protected speech and is not a crime.  
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2010 at 11:12pm
No retalitory violent act is justified. All I am saying is that it is possible to be violent or perpetuate violence through non physical.means. the voodoo example is one. Similar to the flag burning. Like I said its another way of saying I can't hurt you physically so I will hurt you symbolically by attacking your ideals or attacking your image
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic