URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17414
Printed Date: 28 April 2024 at 10:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Burning the Qur'an...?
Posted By: doubler702
Subject: Burning the Qur'an...?
Date Posted: 09 September 2010 at 7:40am

What do you think about this...

http://topicofdiscussion-doubler702.blogspot.com/2010/09/to-burn-or-not-to-burn-quran.html - http://topicofdiscussion-doubler702.blogspot.com/2010/09/to-burn-or-not-to-burn-quran.html

Replies:
Posted By: schmikbob
Date Posted: 09 September 2010 at 7:55pm
Disrespectful and ignorant but protected speech under the US Constitution.  As is flag burning and Bible burning.  Maybe if we all just ignore this guy he'll go away.

Date Posted: 10 September 2010 at 3:37pm
That exactly what I think and now he is saying he is not gonna do it.  But, he is trying to get a mosque location moved.  If the mosque location is not moved, he just might do it.

Posted By: peace13
Date Posted: 11 September 2010 at 1:13am
Pastor Terry Jones cancels his plan to burn copies of the Holy Quran on 11 September 2010
No one in this world should have right to disgrace the peaceful people of other religions. If a group of terrorists have committed a disaster it does not mean that all Muslims are the same. This type of decisions can not create peace rather will blow more anger into the people and more fights will take place in the World which is of no use. Better is to deal the issues sensibly in future as well.

http://spotlightofpeace.blogspot.com/2010/07/pastor-terry-jones-cancels-his-plan-to.html

Posted By: Douggg
Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 3:29am
I think the pastor won a victory because he has shown just how dangerous Islam is - when the president of the United States is afraid of their violent reaction and has to plead with an American citizen to forego his rights of free speech in order that Americans not be killed. America and the president of the United States held hostage by Islam. 911-2010

Posted By: peacemaker
Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 5:57am

Assalamu Alaikum,

For the time being, the pastor may have succeeded in aggravating the situation. Regardless of any such actions, Muslims must show restraint even though they love this book, the Qur�an, more than anything else in the world.

�Nor can goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: Then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!�

Qur�an 41:34

And pastor should also reflect on the teaching of Jesus (peace be upon him):

�But I tell you who hear me; Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.�

Luke 6:27-28

Overall, there is also a good sign in the midst of all this that deserves consideration. So many scholars and leaders of various faiths around the world came forward and condemned this action. I hope that this would only enhance further communication and dialogue, and that would in turn overcome any misunderstanding and help build bridges.

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 8:07am
Peace13,  you write "If a group of terrorists have committed a disaster it does not mean that all Muslims are the same."  I totally agree, however, in the same light if a pastor with a marginal denomination, burns a book regarded as holy, it does not mean that all Christians or even all Americans are the same.  You also write "No one in this world should have right to disgrace the peaceful people of other religions".  I would argue that for an obscure pastor to burn a book is his fundamental write in the United States.  If you decide to feel that this is a personal disgrace to your entire religion that is also your right. 

Posted By: Akhe Abdullah
Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 3:23pm
Do we hear of any Muslim threatening to burn the Bible?

Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 3:35pm

[QUOTE=Douggg] I think the pastor won a victory because he has shown just how dangerous Islam is/QUOTE]How dangerous is europeans/caucatians,the white man. Do we even want to go there dougg?       

Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 3:39pm
Never is there a case when ALL is found true.  So that is not a true statement just from a logical perspective.  If you don't agree with someone then you learn how to atleast respect their differences.

Thanks for the comments and please comment on any post on the blog!

Date Posted: 12 September 2010 at 5:54pm
Do Muslims not burn the Bible or threaten to because the Quran teaches that the Bible and the "people of the Book" are part of Islam??

Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Akhe Abdullah Akhe Abdullah wrote:

Threats of burning the Bible was not why the pastor didn't follow through.

Muslims can burn the bible in the United States if they want to.  

Muslims could do the same in Saudi, home of Islam, but they would first have to break the law by smuggling a bible in.  I guess that is a chance they would have to take. Shocked   Freedom of speech is not free.

Posted By: Gibbs
Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:21am
Dough so Islam is dangerous? Or as you say the pastor exposed how dangerous Islam is. If this is true why are you here? Surely these Muslims on this website are evil. Im sure the moderator named "peacemaker" is evil too. After all be just quoted from the Koran which, as I read was a peaceful passage but Im sure the devil manipulated that right?

Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:41am
By the way everyone should check out the koran burning video by thy or the young turns. He exposes this pastor

Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 12:17pm
A lot of people have the right to do a lot of things but is it smart? 

Posted By: Sign*Reader
Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by Douggg Douggg wrote:

Threats of burning the Bible was not why the pastor didn't follow through.

Muslims can burn the bible in the United States if they want to.  

Muslims could do the same in Saudi, home of Islam, but they would first have to break the law by smuggling a bible in.  I guess that is a chance they would have to take. Shocked   Freedom of speech is not free.

You are a funny person!
We have crossed paths in the interfaith section and your Islamophobia is not lost on your truly!
This three score and ten soul saver was looking for a cheap publicity and he got that plenty by pulling the stunt!
A Muslim is at a disadvantage and has handicap when comes to this kind of shenanigans...you can call all the names in the book about Allah, the Prophet(S)and what have you but our tongues and hands are tied cuz Jesus(a) is ours not yours and his honor is our honor! Even if the certain sections and parts in Bible we disagree cuz they are man made but still it has the revelations that Jesus(A) had from Allah!  So no Muslim will dare it ...Unless it is torn up I will keep it on my shelf as long as I have my library!
 Btw long  time ago I happened to pick up a copy of KJV that it's owner had tossed out and that stayed with me for long time till someone borrowed it!
I noticed every other argument ends up in Saudi land which to me is totally bogus, childish and whatnot.

Finally the issue is not burning if the copy of Quraan is worn out and torn the way to dispose off is completely burn it as appropriate... And that is not the same as the Christian pastor was up to, he was bent upon a sacrilegious act to piss people off and cause disharmony!
Of course freedom of speech is not free someone had to buy the Qurans, or was going to steal them? LOL
It is his or his flocks money if he wants to be a fool let him be one...
It is about time the Muslims to wake up and start looking up how much of their personal constitutional rights have been usurped? Preemptive prosecutions, concocted conspiracies, shutting down of legitimate charities, the use of agent provocateurs, infiltration of mosques, and the establishment of fusion centers need to be addressed!

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 13 September 2010 at 11:27pm
Dougg:
This one is for you too;

http://www.juancole.com/2010/09/they-used-to-burn-catholic-churches-now-they-burn-mosques.html - They used to Burn Catholic Churches, now they Burn Mosques

Posted on http://www.juancole.com/2010/09/they-used-to-burn-catholic-churches-now-they-burn-mosques.html - - September 9, 2010 by http://www.juancole.com/author/admin/ - Juan

The hysteria about mosques in the United States is nothing new in our history. Even though the United States was founded by a ragtag series of religious heretics seeking freedom to worship as they would; even though its constitution enshrines freedom of religion� even so, periods of religious intolerance have reared their ugly heads repeatedly in American history.

The kind of opposition nowadays expressed toward the mosque and the Quran http://www.ushistory.org/tour/st-augustine.htm - was directed in the 1840s against Olde St. Augustine Church in Philadelphia , its �dangerous� Irish congregation, and their Catholic Bible.

Even though Pennsylvania was founded on the principle of religious toleration as set out in William Penn�s http://www.constitution.org/bcp/penncharpriv.htm - Charter of Liberties , even though its leaders in the 18th century made a place for Catholics and Jews and various Protestant groups, by the 1840s a bunch of bigotted yahoos called �Nativists� were desecrating those noble American values.

In 1796 two Irish friars were sent by the Vatican to buy land for the church, and its cornerstone was laid. �Contributors to the church included President Washington, Commodore John �Father of the U.S. Navy� Barry �, and Constitution signer Thomas Fitzsimons.� Note that the Founding Generation supported the church even though it received Foreign Funding. And, in Britain (and British-ruled Ireland), Catholicism labored under severe disabilities, having been until the late 18th century more or less outlawed. Even in the beginning stages of Catholic emancipation, Catholics were required to assert that they rejected the idea of the Pope having temporal power in order to get basic rights.

As with today�s anti-Muslim bigots, who charge Muslims with wanting to rule the world and impose their religious law on everyone, so the mainstream Protestant rap against the Catholic church was also the charge that it sought political dominance.

The Liberty Bell had been cast in 1752 in England to celebrate Penn�s charter of liberties, but was cracked. Another was cast, the Sister Bell, which ultimately was put in the Olde St. Augustine church.

So Olde St. Augustine was hallowed ground in the history of American religious freedom.

(I might interject that one branch of my family, the Catholic Kohls/ Coles, arrived from Darmstadt in 1830 and settled in Chambersburg, Pa., and would have witnessed the rise of the Nativists in their new home.)

The Bible was still taught in American schools in the early 1840s, and Bishop Francis Kenrick successfully petitioned the school system to allow Catholic students to use a Catholic Bible. Furious Protestants accused him of being anti-Bible and of plotting to gradually push the Bible out of the school curriculum altogether.

The Nativists came out in numbers to mount demonstrations in Irish Catholic neighborhoods in north Philadelphia. One of them turned violent and four Protestants were killed. The Nativists asserted that one of their martyrs had been trying to raise an American flag as he was killed by the �Papists.�

After that mobs formed and burned St. Michael�s Catholic church. Then they attacked Olde St. Augustine and burned it down, library, Sister Bell, and all. William Penn and George Washington were spinning in their graves.

When they poured the http://www.hsp.org/default.aspx?id=1251 - library�s books into the street and set them afire, the Nativist mob ended up burning the Bible .

The Catholics rebuilt the Olde St. Augustine. A boys school founded by the friars evolved into Villanova University. In 1960, an Irish Catholic, John F. Kennedy, won the presidency.

People who would burn down a church to which George Washington had made a donation don�t care anything about American values.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11185701 - And people who would burn a mosque might as well buy a copy of the constitution and light it up.

In the real United States it doesn�t matter what your religion is, and you can build your house of worship where you please, and you don�t have to be born here to be a citizen. Nativists believed the opposite of all these things. They formed a secret party in the nineteenth century that they called the �Know-Nothings.�

They are back.

-------------
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.

Date Posted: 14 September 2010 at 8:36am
Oops I meant Turks not turns

Date Posted: 14 September 2010 at 11:40am

IMHO the radical evangelist Christian have become paranoid cuz they think their business is being affected by ever increasing Quraanic challenge in the Bible belt!

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/skateboarder-jacob-isom-snatches-quran-prevents-burning/19632566 - Skateboarder Foils Quran Burning, Becomes Web Hit

After snatching the kerosene-covered book from Grisham, Isom handed it to Dennis Cobbins, an imam at the Islamic Center of Amarillo. Cobbins says he was overwhelmed by the support he'd received from the community. "The city we live in has zero tolerance for bigotry," he told the paper.

Grisham -- known locally for extremist acts, such as demanding his supporters boycott Houston because of its "social ills" -- left the park peacefully, to cheers from demonstrators waving crosses and "Love Thy Neighbor" banners. However, speaking to the Globe-News, he declared it ironic that Isom was praised for his actions -- which he calls "theft" Tongue -- while he was denied his right to free speech.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

http://www.juancole.com/2010/09/they-used-to-burn-catholic-churches-now-they-burn-mosques.html - They used to Burn Catholic Churches, now they Burn Mosques

That has nothing to do is the President of the United States pleading with the pastor not to burn the Koran because of fear of Islam's violent threats.      America and the President of the United States held hostage by Islam 9 1 1 2010.

Doug L.

Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 2:13am

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

That has nothing to do is the President of the United States pleading with the pastor not to burn the Koran because of fear of Islam's violent threats.      America and the President of the United States held hostage by Islam 9 1 1 2010.

What would happen to someone who burnt the koran in Saudi home of islam?

Doug L.

Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 6:43am
Dougg,

Thanks for avoiding my question. Again, explain how Islam is dangerous? I sure since making that remark all the Muslims here on this website who abide by their holy scripture are looking to kill you. So because this maybe true using your logic tell me what is your reasoning.

Date Posted: 16 September 2010 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Dougg,

Thanks for avoiding my question. Again, explain how Islam is dangerous? I sure since making that remark all the Muslims here on this website who abide by their holy scripture are looking to kill you. So because this maybe true using your logic tell me what is your reasoning.

I am very disappointed to say that I have been given a warning from the moderator.   So I am dropping out of the discussions on this topic at Islamicity.  

Doug L.

Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 3:57am

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Dougg,

I am very disappointed to say that I have been given a warning from the moderator.   So I am dropping out of the discussions on this topic at Islamicity.  

Doug L.

You have not been given any warning here. You have only been told to comply with the guidelines. When warnings are issued, it clearly uses the word "warning."

Furthermore, in this thread, you have not been told anything at all.

-------------

Posted By: abosait
Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

.......... So many scholars and leaders of various faiths around the world came forward and condemned this action. ..........

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah.

The imam of the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday said that a US pastor�s threat to burn copies of the Holy Qur�an was an act of terrorism and an incitement to terrorism.

Delivering his Eid sermon to the nearly 2.5 million faithful who thronged the mosque, Sheikh Saleh Bin-Humaid also called the move an act of aggression against Islam, its followers and its sanctity.

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah, Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, senior princes and Cabinet members attended the congregation.

Bin-Humaid, who is chairman of the Supreme Judiciary Council, urged Muslims to establish better relations with other communities and cultures.

�We call for more solid relations, greater understanding, mutual respect and cooperation between peoples,� the imam said, stressing the importance of interfaith dialogue.

�It�s from this holy city, the capital of Islam and Muslims, the interfaith dialogue conference set off in order to build bridges of dialogue and understanding and peaceful coexistence and reject all forms of terrorism and fanaticism,� Bin-Humaid said.

The imam described Islam as a religion of truth, moderation and tolerance.

Bin-Humaid said the Holy Qur�an is an eternal miracle as Muslims during the past 14 centuries have been linked with the Holy Book.

�It�s not a historical artifact or a rare document. It�s the basis of the Islamic faith and a book of guidance, law and morals.�

The imam said God Almighty has promised that He would protect the Holy Qur�an until the Day of Judgment. He also reiterated Muslims� continued faith in other prophets and divine books such as the Bible and the Torah.

�Do not argue with the People of the Book except in the best manner,� the imam told Muslims, quoting a verse from the Holy Qur�an.

In Madinah, Sheikh Ali Al-Hudaify, imam of the Prophet�s Mosque, cautioned Muslims against Al-Qaeda�s extremist ideology that encourages to kill and frighten innocent people.

�Those who support them with money or encourage them by words or give them cover are sinful like them,� the imam said.

ref: http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article133785.ece - http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article133785.ece

Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 7:11am

Dougg:
This one is for you too;

What would happen to someone who burnt the koran in Saudi home of islam?

Doug L.

It seems the impending second childhood is hampering the ability for a coherent argument.
Hypothetical is not my cup of tea so Saudi shouldn't be yours, get a life ...LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 9:34am

The imam of the Grand Mosque in Makkah on Friday said that a US pastor�s threat to burn copies of the Holy Qur�an was an act of terrorism and an incitement to terrorism.

Can anyone defend this statement??  Is book burning by an obscure pastor in the United States now considered an act of terrorism??  It is no wonder that so many international panels have utterly failed to agree on a definition of terrorism when we have statements like this.  I do, however, agree with the Imam that this might be considered an incitement to terrorism.  I do hope that this is merely his observation and not his wish.  

Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I do, however, agree with the Imam that this might be considered an incitement to terrorism. 

Then can this act be termed as "intellectual terrorism�?

-------------

Date Posted: 17 September 2010 at 11:38am
Oh no, Peacemaker, not you too!  I just had a little conversation with Gibbs who tried to call this flag burning a form of violence, symbolic violence he maintained.  You personally can call it whatever you want, just so "intellectual terrorism" and "symbolic violence" do not become crimes.  Maybe we ought to call it a thought crime and have a symbolic trial and hand out a symbolic sentence.  

Date Posted: 18 September 2010 at 7:39am
Schmuckbob

I think you fail to understand that despite what we think are harmless acts or acts without any legal transgression they can be inferred as violent acts or in this case terrorist acts. I disagree with calling this an act of terrorism. Terrorism I believe along the lines of how the U.S defines it, is an act that not only endagers the lives of people, but an act or acts that instills fear. Is book burning free speech? Yes. Is it meaningful dialogue? No. Doesn't matter if this is an obscure individual the fact that he has rallied so many people including those that are on his side made him popular. His act may not be violent in the way a mugger is violent to a victim but what I mean violence in the sense of symbolism. For example his act basically means he can't do harm to Muslims for fear of committing a crime, or transgressing free speech. So the next best thing to harm Muslims is to harm their holy book. Hence, a violent act. You can do something symbolic as that his intent was to do harm to the ideals and beliefs of a people which consequently incite violence. Flag burning is free speech and many Afghans did that when they learned of this pastor. They (Afghans) are not physically harming me but they are harming the ideals of what America stands for in the flag. Sorry its a more philosophical approach. Now you are welcome to disagree but if you don't get it its hopeless. If you really don't get it think of voodoo and sticking pins in a doll

Date Posted: 18 September 2010 at 7:18pm
Gibbs, I absolutely agree that burning the Quran in this country can cause members of Islam to become angry.  However, does this symbolic act justify whatever violence is perpetrated in response?  As for your comment about voodoo and sticking pins in dolls that is also a symbolic act, it does no harm to anyone, and while disturbing on many levels, is absolutely protected speech and is not a crime.  

Date Posted: 18 September 2010 at 11:12pm
No retalitory violent act is justified. All I am saying is that it is possible to be violent or perpetuate violence through non physical.means. the voodoo example is one. Similar to the flag burning. Like I said its another way of saying I can't hurt you physically so I will hurt you symbolically by attacking your ideals or attacking your image

Date Posted: 19 September 2010 at 8:24am
OK Gibbs, I will agree with this definition/description of flag burning.

Date Posted: 19 September 2010 at 10:20am
Don't agree just to agree. Earlier you joked about the definition so its hard for me to believe you

Date Posted: 19 September 2010 at 11:19am
Don't you worry about my ego, Gibbs.  If your definition is accurate and you keep the rhetoric to a minimum I won't have to disagree with you.  The definition I had issues with in this thread was the Imam's definition of terrorism.

Posted By: abuayisha
Date Posted: 19 September 2010 at 7:06pm
If your definition is accurate and you keep the rhetoric to a minimum I won't have to disagree with you. ClapLOL

Welcome to Islamicity Schmikbob!  Man, you gotta love this place.

Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 4:46am
Salams br&sis.As most of you know i live in flint/michigan and a actual burning of The Holy Qur'an took place about 45miles from my city ironicly near the michigan state campus who's mascot is a spartan.But,seriously Allah(swt)says in surah2( im paraphrasing)those who atempt to destroy Allahs revelation,on them is a curse.and a also a mercy they must make amends and openly declare the Truth.May Allah Have Mercy on them If they repent.May Allah invoke His rath upon them if they dont.ameen!Trully this is an act of evil

Date Posted: 25 September 2010 at 5:36am

Salams br&sis.As most of you know i live in flint/michigan and a actual burning of The Holy Qur'an took place about 45miles from my city ironicly near the michigan state campus who's mascot is a spartan.But,seriously Allah(swt)says in surah2( im paraphrasing)those who atempt to destroy Allahs revelation,on them is a curse.and a also a mercy they must make amends and openly declare the Truth.May Allah Have Mercy on them If they repent.May Allah invoke His rath upon them if they dont.ameen!Trully this is an act of evil

Assalamu Alaikum,

It is sad indeed. There are many things that can be done:

• Try to memorize the Qur�an as much as possible.
  • Understand the Qur�an and Islam much more. Practice it and share it with others � Muslims and non-Muslims.
  • Distribute the copies of the Qur�an as much as you can with some guidelines how to study it. Also, leave a contact number in case someone has any query.
  • Pray to Allah to guide the mankind.
  • Encourage others to do the same.

The Qur�an is the book of Allah. He has protected it from corruption and destruction for more than 1400 years. He would do it in the future as well. Allah says in the Qur�an:

�We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).�

Qur�an 15:9

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/QURAN/15.htm - http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/QURAN/15.htm

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

-------------

Posted By: Larry
Date Posted: 04 October 2010 at 11:03pm
   "Do we hear of any Muslim threatening to burn the Bible?"

Who would care? If someone wants to burn a Bible or the Qur'an or any other Holy Scripture of any religion what does it matter? It reflects badly on the person doing the burning but it doesn't change anything about the personal beliefs of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, etc. It's like burning the American flag, in a way. The flag of the United States of America symbolizes the freedom of Americans to burn it if that's what they want to do. What does that have to do with the country or the people of the United States? Nothing.

I served in the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Army, California National Guard and have three Honorable Discharges. You would think someone like me would be angry with anyone who would burn the flag of my country, but it is just the opposite. I served in the Armed Forces of the United States to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America. And it is the same U.S. Constitution that protects the rights of any American, or anyone in that case, who wants to burn the American flag or anything else in protest.

Posted By: taoist
Date Posted: 06 October 2010 at 7:49pm
Sorry i can not go long with burning any book .  I am really considering becoming a muslim and praying daily that Allah will steer my heart.  But if not ,burning sacred books is one of the most ignorant things a human can do.  I do not agree with alot of right wing authors but will never say to burn their books.  If you want to see a good movie on this watch " Inherit the wind " with Spencer Tracy. There is a seen when he says something to the effect that when following ignorance  "we march with banners flying into the past of witch trial, reformation ect."  I am giving you the short version !LOL  Anyway thanks for letting me express my 2 cents and may God bless all,  Taoist

-------------
taoist

Posted By: Bradlee9876
Date Posted: 08 October 2010 at 12:13am
The whole thing is completely disrespectful and should have never been seriously considered.  That's what *I* think about the whole thing.  

Posted By: Revolution777
Date Posted: 22 November 2010 at 11:03pm
Since we always need Qurran i don't see Why we need to burn them, but for Exemple you wrote some verses on Paper, then Youdon't these papers, you mustn't throw them in a Trash can, you must burn them.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net