IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Where Do You Stand?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Do You Stand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 12:01pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Ummziba, of course you are forgiven.  Sometimes, other issues come up in threads that simply need to be addressed.  Alhamdulillah you were able to do that.

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Lehua View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lehua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:43pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Where I stand is an ever pressing question and sometimes it waivers.  I am an American Muslim, I consider my self a patriot and I put nothing before Allah(swt) and my duty as a muslim.  Patriotism to me is LOVE for one's country and with love comes critisizim.  It is our duty as citizens/naturalists/permenant residents to stand up to the American government and tell them what they are doing is wrong.  Either through petitions, writing letters, involvement in rallies or voting.  Just as it is our duty to stand up againts Terrorist who are damaging the image of our beloved religion. 

There are a lot of good things and bad things in every country and we must pick and choose what conditions we want to live in.  I.e.  America - PRO - police are not corrupt(majority), freedom of speech, freedom of religion, democracy, etc.  CON - no social values or morals, family unit is dissapearing(majority), society is highly influenced by unislamic factors, media is corrupt, our government is out of control, etc.  And each list could go on and on.  If one prefers conditions in another country/state, it is my opinion that you should live in that country/state.  Why would you be willing to live somewhere that you loathe? And everything is a choice.

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:56pm

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>>I cannot give 'a' specific example, at least not right this moment.

But to become muslim means giving up on who I am, the person that I am, that in itself is unsettling. Ok, I guess that was a specific example ;-) <<<<<<

I disagree....Of course to be Muslim one has to give up practices in order to follow the correct guidelines. But this is just like any other religion. If you were buddhist you'd have to give up any vanities that would resemble materialism (which dancing or watching television would be included). If you were Christian you'd have to give up extra-martital affairs (if that is your thing) you'd also have to give up pre-marital sex, hatred for other humans etc. If you were an Orthodox Jew, you'd have over 100 laws to follow also including laws regarding cooking.

The point of most religions is to reject the vanities which cloud our rational mind about the world. With some religions there are extremities but I disagree that these vanities chip away at who we are. As a Muslim I'm still the same person. The only thing that changed was my outlook on spirituality. But I believe as we grow older we always change. Change is good. Especially if the change is for the better. what's so bad about Islam? I like not eating pork. Pork is very fattening and its fattening oils can clog your arteries which can be very fatal if not treated. I like not drinking because intoxication can cloud your rational mind. I like not having pre-marital sex because this rule forces me to know my partner and know their likes and dislikes.

I like giving money to the poor because it forces me to recognize hardhsips and forces me to give to those who are needy. When I mention force I'm not talking about being forced to follow the rules but it makes me recognize the vanities in life which does not spiritually benmefit me. So no Angel it doesn't entirely change who you are, just the vanities that many of us hold so dear. But if you wish to keep those vanities then of course that would change who you are. 

Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:01pm

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>I know I don't agree with a lot of Islam, For me personally, Islam makes me unsettled, not at peace with myself nor brings happiness in life, this is why islam is not for me otherwise I'll probably be on the path. (& for many others) <<<<<<

Well maybe you are looking through this site too much. If you have extinguished every possible resource (which I know you haven't) then I understand where you say Islam is for you. But you'd have to seriously say that Islam is not for you and is not peaceful if you have not exercised every possible resource. This is the same with any religion I believe. With me even in coming into the Islamic faith I still had to extinguish every possible resource. I believe its in important to know the right faith to belong to.

To me Islam is the right faith. My philosophy beliefs tells me its not the only right faith but its the right faith for me and that matters most then it being the only right faith. I believe when we get to what is best for us instead of what is the best then we are at the right moment of truth. Don't get caught up in the rhetoric about what is the only true faith especially from other Muslims, follow your heart because God guides through the heart.

Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 1:30am

Angel Said: "If islam is suppose to bring peace then why doesn't it bring peace and happiness to life to all people but only to some ? while those other people are quite happy at peace and with the world that other religions and faiths bring them, again how can islam be the only true religion and path ? "

Peace & happiness (or contentment) comes only to those people who appreciate and praise God for all that He has provided for them. This means when one has the ability to perceive everything as His bounty instead of simply taking them for granted. For example we all breathe fresh air - most of us without any difficulty, but there are people who suffer from severe respiratory impairments. When we think of them we should consider ourselves lucky and express our gratitude to God. That was just a small example, but every moment of our lives we see, feel and experience innumerable of God's bounties, and people who praise God and thank Him are the people who have peace & happiness. Not all Muslims would feel this, because every individual's response to God is different. Those who practise Islam by obeying God's commandments properly are more likely to achieve a level of peace & happiness & again the more closer you get to God the higher your level of contentment.

Besides how does one know how happy or peaceful one is? We don't know what is going on inside the mind of another person, although he/she may appear peaceful or contented outwardly, but appearances can be deceiving. However, for a true believer ie one who truly believes in the Oneness of God, accepts Him as the sole Creator and is most willing to obey Him and Please Him and knows in his heart that to Him is his return then I think peace and happiness can surely come.

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2005 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>>I cannot give 'a' specific example, at least not right this moment.

But to become muslim means giving up on who I am, the person that I am, that in itself is unsettling. Ok, I guess that was a specific example ;-) <<<<<<

I disagree....Of course to be Muslim one has to give up practices in order to follow the correct guidelines. But this is just like any other religion. If you were buddhist you'd have to give up any vanities that would resemble materialism (which dancing or watching television would be included). If you were Christian you'd have to give up extra-martital affairs (if that is your thing) you'd also have to give up pre-marital sex, hatred for other humans etc. If you were an Orthodox Jew, you'd have over 100 laws to follow also including laws regarding cooking.

The point of most religions is to reject the vanities which cloud our rational mind about the world. With some religions there are extremities but I disagree that these vanities chip away at who we are. As a Muslim I'm still the same person. The only thing that changed was my outlook on spirituality. But I believe as we grow older we always change. Change is good. Especially if the change is for the better. what's so bad about Islam? I like not eating pork. Pork is very fattening and its fattening oils can clog your arteries which can be very fatal if not treated. I like not drinking because intoxication can cloud your rational mind. I like not having pre-marital sex because this rule forces me to know my partner and know their likes and dislikes.

I like giving money to the poor because it forces me to recognize hardhsips and forces me to give to those who are needy. When I mention force I'm not talking about being forced to follow the rules but it makes me recognize the vanities in life which does not spiritually benmefit me. So no Angel it doesn't entirely change who you are, just the vanities that many of us hold so dear. But if you wish to keep those vanities then of course that would change who you are. 

Thanks for the view, but that's your personal view right?

I guess I understand but if you think I'm coming from those points you used, it is incorrect, it is true that we always change, life changes so we change also but I come from a point, the core self, I think doesn't change, it is who we are. I am a person who knows myself, I am in tune to me, I am sensitive to things around me (I don't meant sensitive as in sensitive being emotional) there is a contection I have with the world around me. I don't know how to express it properly here but to believe/follow islam would be unsettling if I had to follow it, yes there is things I don't believe and I can't really follow something I don't believe in anyway.

Islam is not for everyone and it doesn't bring peace and happiness to everyone, Nor is it the one true path, my motto is that many paths lead to one - (some call) God!

Quote follow your heart because God guides through the heart.

Exactly!!!  

and don't forget intuition, which by the way is strong with me.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic