URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1524
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 5:29am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Where Do You Stand?
Posted By: Khadija1021
Subject: Where Do You Stand?
Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 8:41pm

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatul-aah wa barakatuh, Ashukru-lillahi Rabbil-Alameen

There are days when it is extremely hard for me to read any forum threads having to do with the current state of affairs in the world.  Every time I enter one of these threads, I feel as if I�m being sucked into an abyss of despair where hatred prevails and backbiting is the mode of communication.  I have come to the conclusion that being an American Muslim is a jihad in itself.  The pressure to take sides is simply unbearable.  I feel that if I don�t wave a banner for American, I�m going to be treated as a trader, and if I don�t wave a banner against America, I�m going to be treated as a kuffar.  I have struggled with this for some time now and I have prayed to Allah for guidance.  Subhan Allah.  Allah sent me IC forum and a very special Muslim Sister to show me that there is still hope for an Islamic Community whose members are sincere in their love of Allah and who strive to strength their deen by following the straight path.  Then He sent me the words of Harun Yahya to remind me that there is only one way to achieve this. 

I thought about these things and realized that I had to ask myself a very important question.  Where do I stand?  What am I?  Am I an American?...an extremist?...a kuffar�a trader�a slander monger?...a backbiter? a faultfinder?...a part of the problem�or am I a part of the solution?  I knew that until I could answer that question, I would be stuck in that bitter abyss every time I opened a tread, read an article, or watched a news broadcast. 

I enter Islam to know the Truth�to live in the Light of Allah�to submit to His Will�to live by His Laws�and to enjoy the life that comes from embracing Islam.  So, really, although life had seemed so perplexing to me, the answer turned out to be quite simply.  In entering Islam, I made my choice.  In choosing Islam, I chose to be a �sincere believer�, one who seeks that which is good, is steadfast in clinging to that which is right and who stands up and forbids that which is wrong.  The reward for doing that is success.  That is Allah�s promise.

�Let there be a community among you who call to the good, and enjoin the right, and forbid the wrong. They are the ones who have success.� (3:104)

So, what�s it going to be for you?  Are you going to be a part of the problem or a part of the solution?  Do you have to choose?  Yes, because deciding not to choose is still a choice.  It might seem to be a tough question.  You might even have to struggle for a while with the demons of this world.  However, if you turn to Allah and the Qur�an, it�s actually quite simple.

La-hawla wala quwata illa bellah. 

PAZ, Khadija

Below is a copy of the article by Harun Yahya that I read.  I invite you all to read it.

Britain's "September 11"

HARUN YAHYA

Thursday, July 7, 2005, will be remembered all over the world as the date when a series of bomb attacks took place in the British capital, London. These barbaric attacks left behind them dozens of dead and hundreds of injured, and went down in history as causing terrible material and psychological damage.

The events in London were referred to as "Islamic terror," in a manner that deeply wounds the entire Islamic world. However, shedding the blood of innocent people, including women and children, by the use of such ruthless methods, cannot be accounted for in any religious terms. Even the term "Islamic terror" creates severe distress in the hearts of sincere believers, and lays blame on a community numbering more than 1 billion.

The events have absolutely nothing to do with the true Islam commanded by God in the Qur'an. There is no room for the concept of terror in true Islam. Violence is not permitted in any of the divine religions. When we look at the Qur'an, the sole source of Islam, and at the practices of all Muslim rulers throughout the history of the world, beginning with our Prophet (may God bless him and grant him peace), we can see the truth of this in all clarity.

Terrorism is a terrible plague that has infected the world for hundreds of years. Even though actions may differ from country to country, all terrorist organizations aim at defenseless civilians and send their messages by way of these people.

In the terrorist attack in Oklahoma in the USA 167 people were savagely slaughtered, 19 of them children.

A fanatical Jew who opened a hail of fire on Muslims praying in a mosque in Palestine caused the deaths of 29 people.

Thousands of people have lost their lives in attacks against Muslims in India over the years.

Terrorist attacks both great and small have for years been perpetrated in France, Spain, the Philippines, Japan and Ireland.

One could go on. However, the entire world came face to face with terror in 2001. In the wake of the attacks against two major cities in the USA which led to the deaths and injuries of thousands of people, the concept of "terrorism" began to be debated once again. That was because that attack had been carried out at an unexpected time, against a country regarded as the world's only superpower, and in a totally unforeseen manner. The attack created an air of fear and panic all over the world, especially in America.

Following the attacks, the USA embarked on a major fight against terror. Many countries have lined up alongside America in this struggle, and lent their support to it. The series of bombings in Istanbul, just when it was thought that the forces of terror had been brought under control, again reminded people of terrorism's dark face: first synagogues, then the British Consulate, then the HSBC General Directorate building �

The Saturday prayer, which had been performed for centuries, was interrupted by the bombs exploded on November 15th. Twenty-four people were killed in the explosions at the Neva Shalom synagogue at Beyoglu Kuledibi and the Beth Israel synagogue at Sisli, and 300 were injured. Dozens of more people lost their lives in the explosions at the British Consulate and the HSBC building, and hundreds were injured. Images similar to those which followed the September 11 attacks began appearing on our television screens. Ruined buildings, people fleeing in panic, burned out busses, corpses lying in the streets �

Following the events in Istanbul, terror began to strike at Europe. The first target was Spain, which played host to Muslims for hundreds of years. The bombs that exploded in three large train stations in Madrid caused the deaths of 199 people, and another 1,247 people to be injured. What remained after this terrorist act was dead bodies, the injured, and fear, anger and hatred that left all the Muslims of Europe under an accusation...

And now the bombs that exploded in the London Underground and busses, both means of public transport, a city full of the dead and injured�The point we wish to emphasize in this article is that Islam opposes terror attacks and the killing of the innocent. All forms of terrorist attack are roundly condemned in Islam. According to the Qur'an, it is a great sin to kill an innocent person, and anyone who does so will suffer great torment in the Hereafter:

� If someone kills another person-unless it is in retaliation for someone else or for causing corruption in the earth-it is as if he had murdered all mankind. And if anyone gives life to another person, it is as if he had given life to all mankind. Our messengers came to them with clear signs, but even after that, many of them committed outrages in the earth. (Qur'an, 5:32)

This verse equals the killing of one innocent to slaughtering all of humanity. Another verse expresses the importance of human life:

Those who do not appeal to any other deity besides God [alone]; nor kill any soul whom God has forbidden [them to] except with the right to do so; nor fornicate. Anyone who does so will incur a penalty. (Qur'an, 25:68)

Any Muslim who believes in God with a sincere heart, who scrupulously abides by His verses and fears suffering in the Hereafter, will avoid harming even one other person. He knows that the Lord of Infinite Justice will suitably reward him for all his deeds. In one of the hadith, our Prophet (may God bless him and grant him peace) listed the kinds of people who are not pleasing to God:

"Those who act cruelly and unjustly in the sacred lands, those who yearn for the ways of the ignorant, and those who wrongly shed human blood." (Sahih Bukhari Hadith)

Terror Will Disappear When People Come to Live by the Moral Values of Islam

In the Qur'an (32:9), God reveals that He has breathed His Spirit into man, His creation, and that man is His representative on Earth (Qur'an, 6:165). One of the most important differences between man and the animals is that man was created with both earthly desires and with a conscience. Every person possesses desires that incite him to evil, along with a conscience that inspires him to avoid it. Alongside such pleasing moral attributes inspired by that conscience-love, sacrifice, compassion, humility, affection, honesty, loyalty and kindness-he also possesses destructive and undesirable tendencies, stemming from his earthly desires. Thanks to his conscience, however, the believer can distinguish between right and wrong and opt for what is morally right. Strong belief in and fear of God, faith in the Hereafter, powerful fear of the endless torments of Hell and a yearning for Paradise all keep the temptations of his earthly desires at bay. Therefore, he always behaves well towards people, is forgiving, responds to wickedness with good, assists those in need, and shows compassion, love, affection and tolerance.

Terrorists, on the other hand, listen to their earthly desire for violence instead of their consciences, and can easily turn to all forms of wickedness. They become loveless, aggressive people who easily hurt others without the slightest pang of conscience. Having no fear of God, they do not practice the morality of religion. Nothing can stop them from committing crimes.

In restraining its citizens, society's prevailing rules can go only so far. Thanks to its law enforcement units, the state may be able to partially protect streets and public spaces, and-thanks to a powerful system of justice-may be able to take necessary means to ensure public order and ensure that the crime rate drops. But since it's impossible to keep watch on every individual, 24 hours a day, it's essential that people act by their conscience. Someone who doesn't heed the voice of his conscience can easily turn to crime when on his own, or surrounded by people of like mind. That being the case, a model of society emerges which is composed of individuals who lie when necessary, have no hesitation about making unjust profits, and feel no unease about oppressing the weak. It is clear that physical precautions and measures will bear no fruit in a society which has no fear of God and which has lost its spiritual values. Religious moral values, on the other hand, command a person to refrain from evil, even if he is all alone, even if nobody will punish him for his evil deeds. It is evident that a person who knows that he will be called to account in the presence of God for his every deed, his every decision and his every word, and that he will be suitably rewarded for these in the eternal life of the Hereafter, will scrupulously avoid committing evil.

Terrorist organizations can't possibly have any place in a society whose people avoid evil of their own free will. Where religion's morality prevails, problems that give rise to organizations supporting the use of violence will disappear naturally. If the whole society possesses superior virtues like honesty, sacrifice, love and justice, there can be no place for such things as poverty, unequal distribution of income, injustice, the oppression of the weak, or limitations on freedoms. On the contrary, a social order will emerge that meets the wants of the needy; where the wealthy protect the poor and the strong, the weak; where everyone can enjoy the very best health care, education, and transport systems. There, tolerance and understanding will dominate the relationships between different ethnic groups, religions and cultures.

For these reasons, proper morality is the key to solving so many social problems. The source of that key, in turn, is the Qur'an, which God has revealed as a guide for mankind.

It must not be forgotten that unless necessary measures are taken, unless deep-rooted solutions are brought in, the 21st century will continue to be a time of terror and violence, just as the 20th was before it. The homes of innocent people will be bombed, and women and children will be slaughtered. The intellectual fight against terrorism, therefore, must be started with great urgency, to include very great numbers of people. This fight will be fought on the level of ideas-between people who believe in God, who are loving, forgiving, compassionate and in full possession of their conscience; and those terrorists who draw their strength from ignorance and violence. In one verse, our Lord reveals, "Why were there not people with good sense among the generations of those who came before you, who forbade corruption in the earth�" (Qur'an, 11:116). Believers should possess the good sense that God describes in the verses. While terrorists hope to achieve their aims by violence, believers know that true success can be achieved only by clinging tightly to the religion of God, and acting accordingly. Jews, Christians, and Muslims will join together in that struggle, in a spirit of respect for all beliefs and ideas and, by the will of God, enjoy definitive success. This is God's promise to all His believing servants, which will definitely come true.

At this point, a great responsibility falls on all true believers, no matter what their religion. Jews must not ignore Old Testament statements calling mankind to peace and tolerance, and they must call on all other Jews to oppose terrorism. So should Christians call on all other Christians, taking as their guide the morality most pleasing to God. One should not forget that terrorism stems from wrong ideas and the basic struggle against terrorism should be on the level of ideas. Believers must explain that these ideas are wrong, and that no idea can prevail by means of violence, oppression and cruelty; and despotism can never bring about beauty.

Terrorist ideology is built on sand. Its foundations can easily be swept away by mobilizing a proper education campaign. Sincere believers in all parts of the world can help end the ignorance that breeds terrorism by searching for solutions, writing books and articles, promoting educational activities and disseminating their own cultural heritage. The prevalence of tolerance, peace and security on the Earth, as commanded by God, will make terrorism disappear into the pages of history forever. Adopting a defeatist, pessimistic attitude in the face of terror is unacceptable. Our hope is that this suffering will not be repeated, and that all measures will be adopted to that end.

May God have mercy on those who died in those hateful attacks, and may He heal the injured. Our sincere condolences to all mankind. (For detailed information, please see http://www.harunyahya.com/terrorism1.php - - Only Love Can Defeat Terrorism by Harun Yahya)

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Replies:
Posted By: Israfil
Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 9:10pm

WA Alaikum Salaam

If I may slip into something more comfortable

ahhh better....

I agree with you in this aspect and if I may add something in addition to what you've just stated. I believe that terrorism as sister Khadija mentions that the foundations are built on sand and that it can be swept away. However I believe that terrorism or whatever its composed of needs to be address on the mental level as well. So-called "Islamic terrorist" come from the groups that fanaticize everything and are nothing more than literalist in the Muslim communtiy. The problem with terrorism is not religion, nor politics its the people. It quite easy to justify terrorism using American occupation or Palestinian cause but the thing is, is when we decide to pick up that gun or that bomb we are doing so by our own will.

Once we make such desicions we have to act on our intentions. The prophet (peace be upon him) once said that we should even support those Muslims who do wrong by "holding their hand." What this parable means is not the literal sense but the metaphorical. By holding their hand we keep the hand from motion hence the hands inherently contain the mechanism to move if we keep the hands from moving we can keep action at a standstill. In addition not only keeping thoe hands from moving we must also educate the population on what true Islamic teaching is.

I also have to add that its no Muslims right to judge another based on geographical location. We all have our duties to our country and to Allah most of all, but in no way should a Muslim judge another because of geographical location. Let me say that in no way do we the people of the U.S decide for the president even though we elect him (so to speak). Nor do we as a people condone everything he does nor do we condone what the military does.

By God's grace I hope this helps you sister Khadija be as who God made you. A Muslim, a strong woman, an American and nothing more.

Posted By: MOCKBA
Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:14pm

Bismillah

Wa'alaikumu Salaam Sister Khadija,

Originally posted by you you wrote:

I feel that if I don�t wave a banner for American, I�m going to be treated as a trader, and if I don�t wave a banner against America, I�m going to be treated as a kuffar. 

Waive the banner of Shahada, insha Allah. And hold it firm and high. SubhanAllah!

-------------
MOCKBA

Posted By: Tasneem
Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 4:45am

Sr Khadija Wa-alaikum-Salaam

We Muslims are living in difficult times and it is hard on us when these terrible events take place and Muslims are held responsible. Some years back I wept for the Muslims of Bosnia over 8000 of whom were massacred at the hands of the Serbs as we watched helplessly. Today I weep at the state of Muslims the atrocities they face, the atrocities they commit and also the natural calamities they face. I am in the habit of soul searching and think about the Tsunami (most victims were Muslims), the regular earthquakes (again too many Muslim victims), Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan and the state of the Muslims in many other places. How can I blame anyone but myself? There is no point in blaming anyone. We are to be blamed! The answer I believe to the terrible situation in which we find ourselves is to become better Muslims, turn to Allah seeking His forgiveness and obeying His commands and to spread goodness. And to compete with each other in good deeds as the sahaba did!

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 6:09am

Assalamu alaikum Sister Khadija,

Allah is above all things: above nations, above communities, above families and above individuals...

We have certain duties to each of these, as good Muslims and as good citizens of the world.  But, as Muslims, our first duty is always to Allah.

May Allah grant all the believers the courage to follow Him above all else.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Whisper
Date Posted: 19 July 2005 at 1:41am

It�s a mere fallacy to believe in the good guys and bad guys alone. Am I allowed to sat that that is just an American way of saying we are not responsible for what we have done in the world.

It may be hard for some of us to swallow, but terrorism can not be taught or preached if the situation on the ground, the reality of occupations, is not there. 

Date Posted: 19 July 2005 at 11:17am

Originally posted by Whisper Whisper wrote:

It�s a mere fallacy to believe in the good guys and bad guys alone. Am I allowed to sat that that is just an American way of saying we are not responsible for what we have done in the world.

It may be hard for some of us to swallow, but terrorism can not be taught or preached if the situation on the ground, the reality of occupations, is not there. 

Whisper, are you saying that Harun Yahay is infected by an American mentality because he definitely isn't American?...my position is the same as his�so I guess if I�m infected with this grossly distorted American way of thinking, then he must be as well�or is it only when an American doesn�t agree with your way of thinking that the problem arises?  I�m beginning to think you have different standards by which you hold certain people accountable.  And since when did I say that one side was good and one was bad in respect to the US vs ____ (you can fill in the blank, I�m sure you have a plethora of �crimes against humanity� enacted by the US tucked away in your �Hang Low Sexnons Hate File�)? 

I detest the Bush administration just as much as I detest AQ and other organization like it.  You are correct in your thinking that I'm not going to take responsibility for what is being done in the Middle East.  I did not vote for the Bush administration nor have I in any way, shape or form supported (unless you consider living and breathing on American soil as an automatic concession of support) his "war on terrorism."  I, also, have not and will never support AQ type acts even if those committing such acts claim to be Muslims acting in the name of Allah.  One does not have to choose sides between GWB and AQ type organization with respect to the Middles East or in any other region of the world.  Doing so would be choosing between the lesser of two evils.  Nowhere in the Qur�an does Allah give me the right to do that.  However, He does command that I seek Islam in all matters and that I will do regardless of how difficult life gets.  Alhamdulillah Allah does not hold us guilty by association in the same manner you do or we would all (and I�m not merely referring to �Americans� here) burn in Hell for eternity. 

In starting this thread, I was making a distinction between being a part of the solution or being a part of the problem; not between who�s good and who�s bad.  It is interesting how you accuse �Americans� of such �black and white� thinking; however, you are just as caught up in this black and white thinking as those you accuse of such fallacious behavior.  It is not just �Americans� way of saying we are not responsible for what we have done to the world.�   Or do you think that is a disease only Americans can catch?  If so, you are sadly mistaken.  It is a disease which in non-discriminatory and cuts across the sphere of human-kind since the beginning of human existence.  If this were not the case, the world would not be in the mess it is today.  And don�t tell me this is my way of not accepting responsibility for what the US has done.  As I told you before, I�m not responsible; however, I think GWB and his lackeys as well as AQ and its lackeys should pay dearly for the crimes they have committed against humanity.    And if you think that if GWB and his lackeys exited off the face of the planet it would solve the woes of this world, you are as sadly mistaken as GWB is for thinking the same thing about AQ and other organizations like it. 

Regardless of what you think of me or my status as an American citizen, I�m a Muslim.  I love Islam.  I do not want to see innocent people being killed by anyone PERIOD!  Just because I want the violence to stop, doesn�t mean I have to side with GWB or AQ.  Regardless of what some people want others to think, this is not a Holy War, so even for Muslims, there is another alternative here.  I�m not saying that this other alternative is going to �instantly or magically� eradicate the problem.  In fact, history has proven that doing what is right is rarely the easy path in life.  However, Allah commands that we do exactly that by following His Laws�not the laws or commands of GWB or AQ.  If we follow Allah�s Law, then we must choose to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem.  That is, we must side with Allah and not the GWBs and AQs of this world.  Allowing ourselves to get caught up in the flames of this heated debate over which camp is right and which is wrong is not going to solve anything.  In fact, the GWBs and AQs of this world love it when we do that because we fight one another and leave them to their destruction. 

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Posted By: muwahed
Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 2:44am

Alhamdu Lilah Wa Assalatu Wa Assalamu Aala Rassuli Allah, Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatu Allah Wa Barakatuhu,

Where do I stand? Sister Khadija, it is trully very courageous to ask oneself such question, because it is indeed more than vital.

When a muslim pronouces the SHAHADAH, he witnesses Allah his CREATOR and all other beings, that he/she has willingly accepted to make Islam his/her way of life, to live as a slave of Allah, in other words to live to please Allah(SWT) and by following the path followed by the Prophet(SAAWS). After this SHAHADAH, the muslim/muslimah start trully striving his/her way along this path: learning, practicing and sharing with other every detail of that PATH.

He/She first start by learning the correct AQUIDAH ( creed), this AQHIDAH gives him/her the true comprehension of this world and all what is happenning in it, in other words it will guide him/her to look at the world and all its events thru an ISLAMIC window, which is by far the most reliable source of comprehension,

Armed with this knowledge, the mulim starts a new life based on two things: a clear intention to Please Allah(SWT) and being confrom in every move to what have been revealed to the Prophet(SAAWS).

While striving along this path, which is not all the time ROSEY, the mulim notices that from time to time he/she is tested by Allah(SWT).

Indeed all thru our life, Allah(Subhanahu Wa Talla) put us in real TESTs. These TESTS are blessing for us, because with these tests we can judje ourself and see how far or near we are living according to the SHAHADAH. This is real blessing because we can correct ourself before it is too late.

Everything that is happenning in this world, including what is called natural disasters, whether it hits individuals, families, communities, countries, or the whole world, all this is before all TESTs from Allah to tests us if we react as slave to Allah or not.

These late events that shook the world and that are related to "Islamic activism", these events are before all TEST from Allah(SWT).

So before saying a single word or making a single move, we should make a stop and ask ourself: Where do I stand in all this and what should I do?How should I react as a slave to Allah and as a follower of the Prophet(SAAWS)? How can I please Allah and avoid to please myself?

It is not as easy at it may sound, because for a single world and a single act someone may see the doors of guidance closed in his face, while an other one will have all doors wide open. For a single word or act someone will be showered by anger of Allah while another one will be showered with blessings.

So for the sake of Allah(SWT) let us help each other gently and sofly, first to open this islamic window and look at these events from an islamic prespective, then let us help each other to say the right word and to take the correct act.

Our Scholars have speak out on these bombings and have proved that such attempts are misdeeds and are not islamic. We common muslims, we have to follow our Scholars because the QURAN and SUNNAH said so, and we have to refute these attempts.

This is very clear to each muslim, but the problem is how to react globally towards such events, where to stand? This is the question that raises itself and that was raised by sister khadija.

Sister Khadija, from one side you are mulimah, a member of this great UMMAH, proud to follow Islam, but at the same time you are witnessing events where killings of innocents are carried by our ffellow muslims in the name of Islam , and from the other side you are a citizen of USA, who is leading the West in the fiercest WAR against ISLAM and muslims, an ugly war under the cover of "WAR against TERRORISM", a war that is done in the name of AMERICANS, with their money and expertise.

In such situation you have the right to ask yourself such an important question: Where do I stand?

In such situation what position please to Allah, what word and what act?

In order to know exactly the position that pleases to Allah, we should know DEEPLY two fields:

First, to know exactly what says SHAREAA about the interaction with non-mulims, how to feel towards them, how to react when they are hit by disasters and so on,

Second, to have an indepth look at the realities of the WAR against ISLAM and muslims led by USA, the realities of this crazy american fever to DROWN muslims in AMERICAN made products, religion ( DEMOCRACY), and way of life. I am not talking about american atrocities against IRAQ and its inconditionnel support to Isael, these things are obvious to anyone, but I am talking that well organized and prepared american policy towards Islam and Muslims.

I really do not know who is HARUN YAHIA, I mean whether he is a Scholar or not, and even that I do not agree totally with what he said, I still think it is a good step to ask Scholars. I wish you good luck in continuing to look what have said other Scholars.

Sister veiled-for-Allah, Paula Poylter, in her site www.muhajabah.com has made a great effort to gather materiels on " Islamism activism", this islamic school of thought that has given birth to groups that are behind these attempts. I think it is a great source to start with even that it still need to be completed.

As I hate long essais I will stop here, but insha allah I will continue in other threads to write on issues that are related to your question. I hope you will continue reading them.

Praying Allah(SWT) to guide us to what is right and to avoid us what is wrong.

Assalamu Alaykum!

-------------
Allah Aalam

Posted By: Yusuf.
Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 7:59am

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm a Muslim. I happen to have been born on the North American continent, where an ephemeral political entity called the United States of America exists at present. Therefore I carry an American passport.

Unfortunately, all Muslims living in the US must pay taxes, part of which go to the slaughter of Muslims in the Dar as-Salam. This is a form or treason against the Ummah. Therefore we must either leave the US or actively work toward changing the regime's militaristic attitude. Besides political activism, the best course is incessant dawah, to lead the many misguided souls here to the Religion of Peace.

One day there will be no more United States of America. Islam will still exist. To which does it make more sense to pledge one's allegiance?

"The future is Islam's and Islam's alone." Bediuzzaman Said Nursi

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 12:22pm
Yusuf you can always leave bro all you need to do is pack things of necessity and go to a Muslim country. The one thing about America I do like is the choice to leave this country.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 12:37pm
Another thing I wanted to add that Sister Khadijah this subject shouldn't be a problem here. As I can only answer for myself I say I am American this is the land of my birth origin. I pay taxes yes (not all go to Jews and murder) and I live here. I hate it when brothers and sisters in my faith who do not know  our tax system especially state and federal tax use the term "You support Zionist Jews and muder" I hate it very much. When you get your degree in taxation and law please come back and tell me that I am paying for weapons and murder. Til then we are American Muslims who go through the same problems as other Muslims around the world.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 6:14pm

Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

Yusuf you can always leave bro all you need to do is pack things of necessity and go to a Muslim country. The one thing about America I do like is the choice to leave this country.

Assalamu alaikum,

I find an American passport useful for my purposes of dawah at present, and my position in society affords me the ability to influence young people and thereby Insha'Allah affect the future.

But of course you're right, I could leave anytime. However, it is my right not to, and as a law abiding inidividual no one has the right to force me to leave either.

I have a brother in law who is a flag waving republican who looks upon me as some sort of traitor. Yet I know for a fact that he cheats on his taxes. Who is the better citizen?

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 6:49pm

LOL brother Yusuf touche you are right...

However if you are an American citizen why not like the country youn were born in? Because America is not a Muslim state makes it no less beautiful than Mecca. I believe that through the tragedies of American formation I believe the wonderful thing about this country is the rights that we have as citizens. Frankly, I like not having Muslim ethical police making sure I'm following Islam correctly. Frankly things like that violate Islamic practice and its teachings. Why would we be compelled to follow Islam if God specifically staes in the Qur'an that guidence is from him and that with his signs we either choose or not to follow his word.

I love America because of what it now stands for. I love the American people because its diversity is the most in the world. I like the fact that there is not one culture or tribe as they do in Indonesia, Turkey, Iran Iraq, Qatar etc. I love American law system and I believe that its ethics resemble the Islamic structure. One of the first things on our currency says "In God We trust." Of course Muslims would say "which God" the politicians would respond that its the Creator of humanity. To me that is good enough.

I love the American malls. Even though we are exposed to lustful things there I'm glad is there and it gives me the choice to put my faith to the test. Whether I accept or not I'm glad these things exist so that I'm aware of it. I do not want to make a sinful error and say "I was not aware of that."

I love the American scholastic institution because its the best in the world. I love the American women strong and proud and diverse. I love American food (Well the Halal part of it). I love the ethics of American politics and the system of voting etc. Even though there are things within the givernment I disagree with we the people of America are the ones that run this country. If we are not satisfied we protest and protest more. You see Yusuf its not so bad. I wouldn't want to live in a society that would kill me because my faith is dwindling. I wouldn't want to live in a country that would force me to pray. I wouldn't want to live in a country where women are not seen as my equal and are as respected as I am. I wouldn't want to live in a society where one type of language is spoken (i.e Arabic or any othe Semitic language).

Me personally I love being a Muslim American.

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 7:11pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother Yusuf, you say your position in "American" society affords you the ability to influence young people.  How do you influence them?  By passing on your bitter hate and distain for the society which affords you such a valuable position in life, or do you simply thank Allah for the opportunity and means to influence these young people and show them the beauty of Islam?  I may not approve of the way GWB and those who run the US government behave regarding internal or global affairs, or even the materialistic lifestyle that is so widely touted in American society; however, I do know how to thank Allah for the good things in my life and to accept that even in things that I may dislike, Allah may have provide many good things.  Life is not black and white and Insha'Allah that is not what you are passing on to the young people you are afforded the privilege of influencing.  Only Allah knows what is best.  You have no true idea why Allah has you where you are right now in this life and in this world.  All you know is that Allah always knows what is best for us.  So, no matter where we live or in what time, it is our responsibility to live as close to Allah as humanly possible, and if we reach out to others, we should do so in a way that shows them Islam in its true light.    

PAZ, Khadija

-------------

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Khadija1021 Khadija1021 wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum

Brother Yusuf, you say your position in "American" society affords you the ability to influence young people.  How do you influence them?  By passing on your bitter hate and distain for the society which affords you such a valuable position in life, or do you simply thank Allah for the opportunity and means to influence these young people and show them the beauty of Islam?  I may not approve of the way GWB and those who run the US government behave regarding internal or global affairs, or even the materialistic lifestyle that is so widely touted in American society; however, I do know how to thank Allah for the good things in my life and to accept that even in things that I may dislike, Allah may have provide many good things.  Life is not black and white and Insha'Allah that is not what you are passing on to the young people you are afforded the privilege of influencing.  Only Allah knows what is best.  You have no true idea why Allah has you where you are right now in this life and in this world.  All you know is that Allah always knows what is best for us.  So, no matter where we live or in what time, it is our responsibility to live as close to Allah as humanly possible, and if we reach out to others, we should do so in a way that shows them Islam in its true light.    

PAZ, Khadija

Walaikum assalam,

I have no bitterness or hatred! I was raised during the Vietnam War. This latter event destroyed all faith in the American government.

I influence young people by my demeanor, my happiness in life, and by making it clear to all that Islam is what brought this peace to me. 

Just because I like to post on this board from a specific perspective does not mean that is what I am like in person. For quite some time, in fact, I used a series of alter-egos that argued on different webboards from radically different perspectives just for the sake of practicing my rhetorical skills and having to develop ideas from different points of view.

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 9:15pm

Yusuf this is the point where I come from! When there is an event (or series of events) in our lives which are negative we tend to shy away from the geenral perspective of life. In this case you mention the U.S government. Well I cannot say how you felt during that period of time because I was raised before and during the gulf war and the present war. I understand where you are coming from bro, I too do not agree how America militarily has acted throughout its history. I don't believe in the tatics and motives of today, but from how you spoke earlier you seem to take such an event and seem to have generalized all of what America is. Let me also add there there is a view you can have about the U.S which can be against what it stands for or you can have a gernal disagreement but to condone murder or hatred or even extreme dislike for the U.S to me in my view is hypocritical I use this cliche because it rings true today.

From what you have said you obviously are older athan me and obviously are more wiser than me in age and experience but the only thing I can offer here is that as one who tries to look at life at different angles I have to say that everything that we see in the world does not need to overshadow our view.

When I mentioned earlier about the taxes going towards murder I truly believe that. I feel that my brethren jump to conclusions when we discuss this issue. Yes a percentage of our taxes goes to the funding of our military, yes our taxes goes towards the funding of weapons and yes our taxes may even support some military campaigns that may go against our beliefs. But let me tell you. There are other areas where my money goes that isn't all about war. Because we pay taxes doesn't mean we iontentionally condone the action of our military. We pay taxes because that is apart of the U.S economy/government. We pay taxes to give the government its share of our labor. We pay taxes for the upkeep of our country.

Not including you in this brother but it would be hypocritical of any Muslim who hates/dislikes America yet migrates to this country for a better life. The same country that supposedly bombs his/her country! I believe in the immortal words of David Hume: "If you have an hypothesis about something test it out yourself!" I believe if you truly believe in your belief about America then leave, but you cannot sit and criticize the country in which you reside and hold all these beliefs because if so, then you yourself condone the very beliefs you loathe. again this is not including you brother but in general.

I'm sure you all heard the Arabic Assassin who was fired from LAX for making a Rap song condoning September 11th. I'm not sure if he's Muslim or not but he's an idiot. I'm sure he's a prime example of what I mentioned. He hates everything about the U.S but works in a baggage claim paying taxes to the very country he hates what a hypocrite! I can understand if you live in Turkey or Iran or whatever then you can have a logical opinion but dont work at LAX and pay taxes and eat here and at the same time spit on the country which you reside its just hypocrisy!

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 10:22pm
Maybe I should just switch to decaf . . .

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 28 July 2005 at 11:15pm

I recommend a nice cup of Chai Tea...

PAZ, Khadija

-------------

Posted By: Angel
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:49am

Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

I influence young people by my demeanor, my happiness in life, and by making it clear to all that Islam is what brought this peace to me. 

okay, I agree but what if (and it does) some other religion/s makes others happy, brings peace to them and have good demeanor ? How can islam be the only true religion then ?

I know I don't agree with a lot of Islam, For me personally, Islam makes me unsettled, not at peace with myself nor brings happiness in life, this is why islam is not for me otherwise I'll probably be on the path. (& for many others) 

If islam is suppose to bring peace then why doesn't it bring peace and happiness to life to all people but only to some ? while those other people are quite happy at peace and with the world that other religions and faiths bring them, again how can islam be the only true religion and path ? 

-------------
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:15am

Hi Angel,

While I personally believe that Islam is the "final edition" of religion, all religions are essentially the same, and so naturally each one has the ability to bring peace to a person's life.

Can you give me a specific example of something about Islam that unsettles you?

-------------
Yusuf

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Yusuf. Yusuf. wrote:

Can you give me a specific example of something about Islam that unsettles you?

I cannot give 'a' specific example, at least not right this moment.

But to become muslim means giving up on who I am, the person that I am, that in itself is unsettling. Ok, I guess that was a specific example ;-)

-------------

Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:51am

Assalamu alaikum,

Forgive me, Sister Khadija, for going a bit off topic, but I feel I would like to say something about what Angel says she feels 'unsettled' about.

Angel, when I became a Muslim, everything I was, the person who I was did change - almost completely.  Looking back now, I realize that I changed for the better and more importantly, I changed back to what I had been.

By that I mean, before my parents shaped me, my schooling (mis)informed me, my life experiences scarred and shattered me, society pressured me...I feel I changed back to what I was always meant to be - the true me.  The change was all good.  The feeling was all good.  I am now, who I always was afraid to be!

Now, that may sound a little strange, but, mull over it a bit and see if you can find some truth in that.  Sure it can seem unsettling, even very scary, but it is the end result that counts.  Just some food for thought for you.

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:50am

Ummziba, you trying to persuade me

Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Now, that may sound a little strange, but, mull over it a bit and see if you can find some truth in that.  Sure it can seem unsettling, even very scary, but it is the end result that counts.  Just some food for thought for you.

Peace, ummziba.

It doesn't sound strange, I know many people go thru similar experiences as you but not all end up following islam.

-------------

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

]

It doesn't sound strange, I know many people go thru similar experiences as you but not all end up following islam.

This is why there is an concept called Hidayah...

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 12:01pm

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Ummziba, of course you are forgiven.  Sometimes, other issues come up in threads that simply need to be addressed.  Alhamdulillah you were able to do that.

PAZ, Khadija

-------------

Posted By: Lehua
Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 7:43pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Where I stand is an ever pressing question and sometimes it waivers.  I am an American Muslim, I consider my self a patriot and I put nothing before Allah(swt) and my duty as a muslim.  Patriotism to me is LOVE for one's country and with love comes critisizim.  It is our duty as citizens/naturalists/permenant residents to stand up to the American government and tell them what they are doing is wrong.  Either through petitions, writing letters, involvement in rallies or voting.  Just as it is our duty to stand up againts Terrorist who are damaging the image of our beloved religion. 

There are a lot of good things and bad things in every country and we must pick and choose what conditions we want to live in.  I.e.  America - PRO - police are not corrupt(majority), freedom of speech, freedom of religion, democracy, etc.  CON - no social values or morals, family unit is dissapearing(majority), society is highly influenced by unislamic factors, media is corrupt, our government is out of control, etc.  And each list could go on and on.  If one prefers conditions in another country/state, it is my opinion that you should live in that country/state.  Why would you be willing to live somewhere that you loathe? And everything is a choice.

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 8:56pm

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>>I cannot give 'a' specific example, at least not right this moment.

But to become muslim means giving up on who I am, the person that I am, that in itself is unsettling. Ok, I guess that was a specific example ;-) <<<<<<

I disagree....Of course to be Muslim one has to give up practices in order to follow the correct guidelines. But this is just like any other religion. If you were buddhist you'd have to give up any vanities that would resemble materialism (which dancing or watching television would be included). If you were Christian you'd have to give up extra-martital affairs (if that is your thing) you'd also have to give up pre-marital sex, hatred for other humans etc. If you were an Orthodox Jew, you'd have over 100 laws to follow also including laws regarding cooking.

The point of most religions is to reject the vanities which cloud our rational mind about the world. With some religions there are extremities but I disagree that these vanities chip away at who we are. As a Muslim I'm still the same person. The only thing that changed was my outlook on spirituality. But I believe as we grow older we always change. Change is good. Especially if the change is for the better. what's so bad about Islam? I like not eating pork. Pork is very fattening and its fattening oils can clog your arteries which can be very fatal if not treated. I like not drinking because intoxication can cloud your rational mind. I like not having pre-marital sex because this rule forces me to know my partner and know their likes and dislikes.

I like giving money to the poor because it forces me to recognize hardhsips and forces me to give to those who are needy. When I mention force I'm not talking about being forced to follow the rules but it makes me recognize the vanities in life which does not spiritually benmefit me. So no Angel it doesn't entirely change who you are, just the vanities that many of us hold so dear. But if you wish to keep those vanities then of course that would change who you are. 

Date Posted: 29 July 2005 at 9:01pm

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>I know I don't agree with a lot of Islam, For me personally, Islam makes me unsettled, not at peace with myself nor brings happiness in life, this is why islam is not for me otherwise I'll probably be on the path. (& for many others) <<<<<<

Well maybe you are looking through this site too much. If you have extinguished every possible resource (which I know you haven't) then I understand where you say Islam is for you. But you'd have to seriously say that Islam is not for you and is not peaceful if you have not exercised every possible resource. This is the same with any religion I believe. With me even in coming into the Islamic faith I still had to extinguish every possible resource. I believe its in important to know the right faith to belong to.

To me Islam is the right faith. My philosophy beliefs tells me its not the only right faith but its the right faith for me and that matters most then it being the only right faith. I believe when we get to what is best for us instead of what is the best then we are at the right moment of truth. Don't get caught up in the rhetoric about what is the only true faith especially from other Muslims, follow your heart because God guides through the heart.

Posted By: Tasneem
Date Posted: 30 July 2005 at 1:30am

Angel Said: "If islam is suppose to bring peace then why doesn't it bring peace and happiness to life to all people but only to some ? while those other people are quite happy at peace and with the world that other religions and faiths bring them, again how can islam be the only true religion and path ? "

Peace & happiness (or contentment) comes only to those people who appreciate and praise God for all that He has provided for them. This means when one has the ability to perceive everything as His bounty instead of simply taking them for granted. For example we all breathe fresh air - most of us without any difficulty, but there are people who suffer from severe respiratory impairments. When we think of them we should consider ourselves lucky and express our gratitude to God. That was just a small example, but every moment of our lives we see, feel and experience innumerable of God's bounties, and people who praise God and thank Him are the people who have peace & happiness. Not all Muslims would feel this, because every individual's response to God is different. Those who practise Islam by obeying God's commandments properly are more likely to achieve a level of peace & happiness & again the more closer you get to God the higher your level of contentment.

Besides how does one know how happy or peaceful one is? We don't know what is going on inside the mind of another person, although he/she may appear peaceful or contented outwardly, but appearances can be deceiving. However, for a true believer ie one who truly believes in the Oneness of God, accepts Him as the sole Creator and is most willing to obey Him and Please Him and knows in his heart that to Him is his return then I think peace and happiness can surely come.

Date Posted: 01 August 2005 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Israfil Israfil wrote:

ANGEL SAID:

>>>>>I cannot give 'a' specific example, at least not right this moment.

But to become muslim means giving up on who I am, the person that I am, that in itself is unsettling. Ok, I guess that was a specific example ;-) <<<<<<

I disagree....Of course to be Muslim one has to give up practices in order to follow the correct guidelines. But this is just like any other religion. If you were buddhist you'd have to give up any vanities that would resemble materialism (which dancing or watching television would be included). If you were Christian you'd have to give up extra-martital affairs (if that is your thing) you'd also have to give up pre-marital sex, hatred for other humans etc. If you were an Orthodox Jew, you'd have over 100 laws to follow also including laws regarding cooking.

The point of most religions is to reject the vanities which cloud our rational mind about the world. With some religions there are extremities but I disagree that these vanities chip away at who we are. As a Muslim I'm still the same person. The only thing that changed was my outlook on spirituality. But I believe as we grow older we always change. Change is good. Especially if the change is for the better. what's so bad about Islam? I like not eating pork. Pork is very fattening and its fattening oils can clog your arteries which can be very fatal if not treated. I like not drinking because intoxication can cloud your rational mind. I like not having pre-marital sex because this rule forces me to know my partner and know their likes and dislikes.

I like giving money to the poor because it forces me to recognize hardhsips and forces me to give to those who are needy. When I mention force I'm not talking about being forced to follow the rules but it makes me recognize the vanities in life which does not spiritually benmefit me. So no Angel it doesn't entirely change who you are, just the vanities that many of us hold so dear. But if you wish to keep those vanities then of course that would change who you are. 

Thanks for the view, but that's your personal view right?

I guess I understand but if you think I'm coming from those points you used, it is incorrect, it is true that we always change, life changes so we change also but I come from a point, the core self, I think doesn't change, it is who we are. I am a person who knows myself, I am in tune to me, I am sensitive to things around me (I don't meant sensitive as in sensitive being emotional) there is a contection I have with the world around me. I don't know how to express it properly here but to believe/follow islam would be unsettling if I had to follow it, yes there is things I don't believe and I can't really follow something I don't believe in anyway.

Islam is not for everyone and it doesn't bring peace and happiness to everyone, Nor is it the one true path, my motto is that many paths lead to one - (some call) God!

Quote follow your heart because God guides through the heart.

Exactly!!!  

and don't forget intuition, which by the way is strong with me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net