IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is Mohammad the Last Prophet of Allah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Mohammad the Last Prophet of Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:57pm

Assalamu alaikum,

Your translation of B is incorrect. "Lakin akhi 'asdaqu" is "but my brother is the most truthful." The correct way to say "my brother is more truthful (than the woman referred to in statement A) is "lakin akhi 'asdaqu minha."

But this is a minor point as you yourself note and hardly worth quibbling over. Grammar fascinates me so I tend to get overly enthusiastic about it!

Yusuf
Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 11:02pm

We can use English as an example instead of Arabic.

Person A: My house is bigger than your brother's.
Person B: But mine is bigger.

So is the statement by person B grammatically incorrect? 

Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 11:18pm

Dear Yusuf,

Is it correct english to say Allah is greatest instead of Allah is the greatest? because if it is Allah is the greatest it would be Allahu-al- akbar in arabic. 

Allah is the greatest, this is true, but we are not able to encompass what "greatest" truely means, we can not even grasp how big the universe is, so no matter how great we think He is, He is always greater then that, greater then any thought, comprehension or imagination, Allah is greater. Allahu Akbar!

Edited by Community
Community View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Community Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 11:32pm

In the koran it says "wa kabbirhu takbeeran". So this means you are in a certain situation, and you think about Allah and then think or say Allahu Akbar (then what you imagine or think)....Allahu Akbar(then that thought or imagination you had with the first takbeer) Allahu Akbar....Allahu Akbar.....Allahu Akbar. 

May Allah encrease your safety and security in faith(imaan).

all praise to Allah Lord of the worlds.

wa alhamdu li Allahi rabbi al'alameen,

Edited by Community
Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 1:01am
Good posts! The right place and the purpose to quote Quran, my friend.
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 7:54am

My dear Bro, Community, coming back to the topic, in reference to your post "Khatim annubuwwa, the name Muhammed means the praised one, as Muhammed salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam was the seal of prophet it ment all previous prophets are confirmed by him, and also recognized in him by those who have understanding, because i believe he had all the qualities of all the prophets before him, he was a confirmation of all the previous prophets, the seal and the completer of prophethood. As for the claim by people that this means he was the last messenger, i do not agree, because there is no refference of this claim in the koran. ........" This is surprising especially when you yourself admit that seal implies "completer of prophethood" and yet say you don't believe it means the last prophet. So what else could it imply and yet it is "completer of prophethood"? Now as far as "confirmation of all previous prophets" is concerned, I think this notion is not unique to Prophet Mohammad only since all subsequent Prophets to Adam (which are known to us through Quran) indeed confirmed those who came before them. Hence, simple attestation or confirmation is not the full implication of word "seal". It then necessarily imply that seal means confirmation of all previous prophets (as you have admitted) along with completion of prophethood (as you have admitted). Hence the one who is in the end of the chain of prophets, must be called "the last". Isn't it all logical? On the more, lexical meaning of  "seal" is to "close". Hence the same notion of "seal of prophets" implies "closing of prophethood". Hence, logically speaking, if Prophet Mohammad was the only prophet on earth during that time, then this word necessarily mean prophet Mohammad closed the prophethood. It further implies that since the door of prophethood is closed, therefore no more prophet would come after him and hence Prophet Mohammad is the last Prophet of Allah.

Though, I do see your concerns about a lot of misinterpretations of Quran, but they are not related to our present topic under discussion. Therefore, I would not comment upon your later part of the post and would prefer to stick to this one point of discussion rather than opening plethora of topics and discussing none. May Allah give us guidance to recognise the truth through the use of knowledge with wisdom and logic. Amin.

Edited by AhmadJoyia
Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Deus Deus wrote:

We can use English as an example instead of Arabic.

Person A: My house is bigger than your brother's.
Person B: But mine is bigger.

So is the statement by person B grammatically incorrect? 

There is still no basis of comparison: whose house is person B's bigger than? OK, you say, it's bigger than the brother mentioned by person A. But the grammatically correct statement is "but mine is bigger than his." Of course people don't always say this.

But in Arabic there is a further issue. In English there is  comparative and a superlative form: bigger and biggest. In Arabic, there is only the elative, which functions in different contexts as either a comparative or a superlative. Therefore it needs a basis of comparison to assume the comparative.

Look at the statement: "God is greater." Greater than what? Greater than the speaker? Greater than the addressee? Greater than He was 10 minutes ago?

Yusuf
Yusuf. View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:46am
Originally posted by Community Community wrote:

Dear Yusuf,

Is it correct english to say Allah is greatest instead of Allah is the greatest? because if it is Allah is the greatest it would be Allahu-al- akbar in arabic. 

Allah is the greatest, this is true, but we are not able to encompass what "greatest" truely means, we can not even grasp how big the universe is, so no matter how great we think He is, He is always greater then that, greater then any thought, comprehension or imagination, Allah is greater. Allahu Akbar!

I'm going to cop out and simply quote a grammar book:

"When the elative form occurs as an indefinite predicate adjective without a min comparison, there is no essential difference between the comparative and superlative degrees. Such an elative should generally be considered emphatic or superlative in meaning." W. M. Thackston, An Introduction to Koranic and Classical Arabic, p. 85.

He then gives the example Allahu 'akbaru and translates it as God is greatest/very great. The other example he gives is Allahu 'a'lamu which he translates as God knows best/most/is all knowing.

Edited by Yusuf.
Yusuf
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic