IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weddings  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weddings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weddings
    Posted: 15 July 2005 at 5:58am

AlSalam 3alaikom,

Quote I know women that have married for the wedding more than for the man they are getting married to.  So sad! 

Yes, your right I have met women like that, they get married to the man because of his position at work, the type of car he drives, the cash, the looks,...I could go on and on.

I can't believe some people would sacrifice their lives for something so superficial.

Khadila, I hope you find the pious man. We must be good examples for other people.  Showing what is real, genuine, and honest in the Islam world.

Quote It seems that today, most newlyweds start out with a debt big enough to put a siezable downpayment on a house.  There are countless couples getting divorced in the western world who are still in debt for their wedding.  It's utterly crazy!

This is all happening because we worry what other people gossip. We want to be the center of attraction.

You know, nowadays, everything is expensive and at times you will have to put that extra "dollar". No doubt, money is the first and main source in life, that is why we must spend wisely and for our sake only not for others.

Salam

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 10:35pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

Good topic!  I was reading a fatwa one day regarding marriage and came across a question written by a "Christian" woman who was marrying a Muslim man.  I was amazed and the way this woman went on and on about the glories of this wedding day and all she had planned out.  And it didn't stop there, they were planning on a two week honeymoon in the Bahamas as well.  This woman was revealing all of this to the Imam and complaining that her soon to be husband's family was refusing to come to the even.  So much for allowing Muslim men to marry Christian women because the "man" is the head of the family.   It seems that today, most newlyweds start out with a debt big enough to put a siezable downpayment on a house.  There are countless couples getting divorced in the western world who are still in debt for their wedding.  It's utterly crazy!  I know women that have married for the wedding more than for the man they are getting married to.  So sad! 

Inshallah someday I will get married to a pious Muslim and I will be so happy to do it the way the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said.  I actually saw an Islamic wedding dress on line that I would be so happy to wear that day.  It is lovely and costs less than $100.  Also, the only real expense I want spent on my wedding is a dinner so that I can invite the poor to attend.  How better to start a blessed union than to do so by holding fast to the pillars of Islam?

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 12:26pm

Hi again!

Thank you, I am glad you did not take offence to me joining the discussion. I am still finding my feet in the forums.

I agree about the big Western brands going global! It is so annoying and a little sad to visit other countries in the hope of tasting their unique cuisine and culture only to be confronted with these huge, scarily familiar Western fast food outlets! I have to say I never eat at McDonalds or KFC and it is rare that I drink Coke. I like eating real healthy food with as few synthetic ingredients as possible (I don't eat meat anyway, only fish).

I agree too that it is lovely to see unique dress among people of different faiths. I have been reading a book about a young girl growing up in Japan in the 11th century. Their culture sounds colourful and interesting. I now want to see more pictures and maybe even go there on day although I suspect that the traditions are more diluted too, for reasons we have touched on.

You sound so happy and proud to be Muslim women. I wish more westerners could see that. Unfortunately many people still think of Muslim women as quiet, hidden away or oppressed. I have worked with Muslim men and women and found that they are great people, very open and fun to be around. One particular girl used to have me in stitches quite often! I am living in a part of England right now that is predominantly typical white, working to middle class, there are few people of Asian or African origin, few Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus. I am moving closer to London soon, back to the place I grew up. I am so looking forward to being in the middle of a more diverse neighbourhood once again.

Religious people often seem much calmer and more grounded to me. Some of my close friends are devout Christians and I often feel that I wish I could feel what they do. But to be honest, I don't feel I have found a religion I can believe in yet. Yes, I could go along with it all, go to church every Sunday etc but I really want to feel that devotion and belief in the religion. I admire them for the people they are but I am still searching for something that suits me. Hence all the questions and my joining this forum!

Having guidelines to life must be very comforting too. I rely on my own ideas of what is right and wrong, influenced a lot by my upbringing I guess but I am sure I don't always get it right! Life is difficult for all of us sometimes I know. At the end of some days, I'd love to just know that there is someone looking out for me and that I can trust my life to them/him.

Anyway, I am going on!

Thanks again for making this a comfortable place to ask questions and express my opinion!

Clara

Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 10:17pm

Clara,

You are more than welcome to give your opinions. It is beautiful to be "unique". I am referring to the Islam in our generation. The whole purpose of Islam is to accomplish our goals of being sincere to our religion. Yes, the west is influencing the concepts of the Islamic religion. And I am infuriated to see this happening. I do not intend any animosity or disrespect to any other religion.

I strongly emphasize the fact that most Muslims, either living in an Islamic community or not, are not following its� treasures.

When I see a Hindu woman, as an example only, wearing her Sari, Ghagra,  Choli, I am impressed; Or the Sikhs, that won a very long battle with the government to allow  them to wear the turbans because is was sacred to them. I think that it is great to be devoted and loyal to a RELIGION: Too many meanings to explain how pleasing it is to be of a certain religion. And I am thankful for being who I am and what I do or wear to satisfy my God ALLAH (swt).

Being different is one thing, making a difference is another

ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 2:43pm

Hi Clara,

Perhaps you misunderstand my point.  I was not saying that we should teach and maintain our religious culture and Islamic traditions to others - I meant that we (Muslims) need to teach it to our children and encourage it within our community.  (Of course there is nothing wrong with teaching your ways to others, as long as they are not forced on others!)

I love the diversity of this world, and Allah even says in the Qur'an that He made us all different that we may know one another.  I was only saying (much as you are) that we all need to cherish our own cultures and religious practices and not discard them.

I would rather see a Japanese bride in a kimono than a white "western" style wedding dress.  I would rather see a Muslim bride in proper hijab, a Scottish groom in a kilt, and so on.

For Muslims, you must understand, obeying Allah is always the priority.  Muslims who forget this or grow away from it are the ones who are doing things like having "western" style weddings and so on.  In doing this, they are forgetting to please Allah.

This is one of the problems with "globalization" where instead of different and unique things all over the world we find McDonald's, KFC and Coca Cola in even the most remote countries.  And all the rest of the "western" stuff that goes along with it.  It is just a shame.

Now, I hope I have not misunderstood you - I think we are both on the same page on this matter!

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:46pm

I don't wish to cause disharmony but wanted to point out that different cultures do things differently. What may be alien to one culture may be acceptable in another.

I was disheartened when on a television programme recently I saw that Christian churches have encroached on the beliefs of an ancient tribe in Africa. There was also a tribal woman, her hair braided and bound with earth, wearing beads and traditional dress of her tribe, in a supermarket! It looked bizzarre and made me sad. I was sad because I like the fact that there are people out there in our beautiful and varied world who are so far removed from modern life and that live the same way that they have lived for thousands of years.

We should understand that they have their way of doing things and other people have other customs. It is tempting to tell everyone about your faith/religion/culture because it makes you so happy. If we start saying that the way other people get married is wrong, then we run the risk of being seen as forcing our beliefs on others.

I personally enjoy difference. If we were all the same, our world would not be as full of variety as it is today. Yes it is sad that the cultures are getting diluted and I can see that the West has an effect on the rest of the world. I think the most important thing about a wedding day is that everyone, particularly those getting married has a wonderful day-a day to remember for a long time and that they are in love and honour that love the best they can. Those that disagree or are offended by the clothes of the couple could always not attend. As long as no-one is getting hurt.

There are many interfaith/ interculture weddings where it makes sense to blend the two as best the couple can.

Like I say, I do not wish to offend but wanted to put my point across. I may have opened up a can of worms here or perhaps just a good discussion

Clara

Edited by Clarabelle
ummziba View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummziba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Rose Rose wrote:

�Western-styled garments are designed primarily to emphasize the shape of the female body and to attract the attention of members of the opposite sex, these immodest apparels are worn by Muslim women who, in anticipation of the opportunity to show themselves off at impending weddings or engagements, start making preparations on a lavish scale by acquiring the more "modern" versions of these abominably styled clothing. What is even more deplorable is the practice of equipping the bride with several of these immodestly designed suits, and subjecting her to a most humiliating display on an elaborately prepared stage after clothing her in an exquisite western wedding gown and obliterating all her natural beauty with cosmetics. And to ensure perfection in the scrupulously observed rituals of the west, the bride is provided with a retinue of bridesmaids, flower-girls and page-boy, with their faces similarly disfigured with the same satanic object of attracting the maximum of lustful stares.�

Assalamu alaikum,

This is so sad.  It is plain to see that the Muslims doing this have not been properly taught our beautiful religion, nor are they passing on the knowledge of Islam to their children.

It reminds me of the aboriginals here in Canada who, over many decades, lost their native languages and customs, mostly from the interference of the Christian churches, not to mention the government itself.

Or, the example of Japanese weddings these days, where you see them either not doing them traditionally or doing that and also a western style wedding.

People all over are losing their culture to "western" culture.  Please, let's all do everything we can to teach and maintain our religious culture and more than that our Islamic traditions and sunnah of the Prophet.

Peace, ummziba.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 10:05am

�Western-styled garments are designed primarily to emphasize the shape of the female body and to attract the attention of members of the opposite sex, these immodest apparels are worn by Muslim women who, in anticipation of the opportunity to show themselves off at impending weddings or engagements, start making preparations on a lavish scale by acquiring the more "modern" versions of these abominably styled clothing. What is even more deplorable is the practice of equipping the bride with several of these immodestly designed suits, and subjecting her to a most humiliating display on an elaborately prepared stage after clothing her in an exquisite western wedding gown and obliterating all her natural beauty with cosmetics. And to ensure perfection in the scrupulously observed rituals of the west, the bride is provided with a retinue of bridesmaids, flower-girls and page-boy, with their faces similarly disfigured with the same satanic object of attracting the maximum of lustful stares.�

I have read that in Islam weddings, the groom can hold a Walima (a banquet).

The relatives, neighbors, and friends are invited in order to make them aware of the marriage. Both rich and poor of the family and community are invited to the marriage feasts.

Prophet Muhammad (saaws) said:

'The worst of the feasts are those marriage feasts to which the rich are invited and the poor are left out". (Mishkat)

It is recommended that Muslims attend marriage ceremonies and marriage feasts upon invitation.

Salam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic