IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - black seeds  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black seeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:43am

This week i made wheat bread- black seeds- flax seeds and a cream cheese frosting, all the kids in the neighborhood are requesting this bread.

ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:31am
I'm so glad that some sisters benefited.....
J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 2:59am
Assalamu Alaikum,

Thanks to everyone for their useful input, mashallah! I had NEVER heard
of these seeds nor their oil before. I purchased the gel caps two days ago
and bought the seeds themselves yesterday. Like you all suggested, I
grounded them in a coffee gridner and I just added them into a glass of
skim milk. Quite tasty!!! I've been having digestive problems lately so it
will be interesting to see how I feel after a few more days on this stuff.
I've been doing a lot of research online about flax and I can't believe all
the benefits!! Awesome!!

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:57pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yes, flax seed is wonderful.  To get the full benefit from flax seed, you should use both the oil and eat the seeds.  Eating the seeds alone will not give you enough oil to get the full benefit of the oil.  However, simply taking the oil doesn't give you the benefit of the fiber that eating the seeds gives you.  In order to recieve the full benefit of flax seed oil, you should take 2 tablespoons of oil a day.  If you do not like the taste of flax seed oil, you can buy it in gel cap form.  Also, it is best to buy it in at an organic store or other store that sells the type that must be refrigerated.  Flax seed oil loses a lot of it's benefit if it is heated so you shouldn't use the oil for cooking and you should keep it in the refrigerator even if it is not refrigerated when you buy it.  That is why cold press processing is better than other processes for extracting the oil.  Also, the oil is very sensitive to light so do not purchase flax seed oil or gel caps that come in see through containers.  You will be wasting your money.  The seed, however, can be eaten raw or baked into dishes.

PAZ, Khadija

Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
Clarabelle View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clarabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 12:36pm

JR, I take the supplements because they contain a big dose of flaxseed oil that you would have to eat loads of flaxseeds to get! I have suffered from depression and wish not to take synthetic antidepressants, I like to find natural alternatives. They are working for me!

Ummsaleh, I don't think you are weird at all! I like the taste of them too. They are great on salad. They have a unique taste and texture don't they? Kind of silky on your tongue!

So, anyone got any good flaxseed recipes then?!

Clara

Edited by Clarabelle
rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:27am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

this thread reminds me of my mother discussing recipies with my aunties, all women affair

just for the record i do know what your talking about so i am not a completely helpless male
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 5:44am

Maybe I'm weird, but l love the taste of flax seeds.

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:36pm
Assalamu Alaikum,

Will just taking the flaxseed oil supplements provide the same benefits
as eating the actual flax seeds themselves? Thanks!!

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic