Print Page | Close Window

black seeds

Printed From: IslamiCity.org
Category: Culture & Community
Forum Name: Groups : Women (Sisters)
Forum Description: Groups : Women (Sisters)
URL: https://www.islamicity.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1474
Printed Date: 30 April 2024 at 2:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: black seeds
Posted By: ummsaleh
Subject: black seeds
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 4:34am
Does many one take black seeds / flax seeds daily?

Replies:
Posted By: ummziba
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 5:38am

Assalamu alaikum Sister ummsaleh,

No, I do not.  But I have heard that they are supposed to be good for the body.  What benefits do they provide?  Is baking them in bread beneficial?

Peace, ummziba.

-------------
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but your words...they break my soul ~

Posted By: Jenni
Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 10:22am
I have studied nutriton extensively and flax seeds are one of the most nutritious foods in the world. All women should take some flaxseed oil every day and incorporate the ground seeds into thier diet. The oil is good for p.m.s., healthy hair and skin, preventin diabetes, cancer, heart disease ect. and is very good for kids. Even men too. The seeds are beneficial for the colon and are a great source of fiber. I take the oil every day and also buy bread, waffles and other products with flax seeds. You can even bake with them. I say hooray for Flax(black seed)!!!!!!!

-------------
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.

Date Posted: 12 July 2005 at 11:01am

Assalamu alaikum,

Thanks for the information.  Now here is a silly question - the flax seeds I buy are actually brown, not black, is this the same seed we are talking about here?

Also, I am growing flax in my garden this year, a white and a blue variety.  Is this seed the same?  Does anyone know how to collect the seed easily before it falls to the ground?

Peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 9:32am

I bake with the seeds daily, i noticed a diffrence with my skin and bowel movements(excuse me) with in days. Also, they say that flax seeds help with weight loss. All my children take flax seeds, my baby rather eat flax seeds than have a sucker, mashallah. For the older kids i put flax seeds/ black seeds in breads and cinnamon rolls. Their favorite is flax seeds with youghurt.

Posted By: Clarabelle
Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 12:18pm

Flax seeds are great! I take the oil in a supplement form each day, they help with depression too and my sister has started giving them to her daughters as they are supposed to calm children and make them less naughty, more attentive!

You can buy flax seed oil too, which is tasty on salad. Flax seeds, I have been told, are the same as linseeds, the ones I have are yellowish brown-they look a bit like sesame seeds! Maybe there are different varieties?

Does anyone else like pumpkin and sunflower seeds too?

By the way Ummsaleh, cinnamon rolls sound lovely! My mouth is watering!

Clara

-------------
"We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessing of peace."

William Ewart Gladstone

Posted By: J.R.
Date Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:36pm
Assalamu Alaikum,

Will just taking the flaxseed oil supplements provide the same benefits
as eating the actual flax seeds themselves? Thanks!!

Peace,
J.R.

-------------
Smile

Date Posted: 14 July 2005 at 5:44am

Maybe I'm weird, but l love the taste of flax seeds.

Posted By: rami
Date Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:27am
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

this thread reminds me of my mother discussing recipies with my aunties, all women affair

just for the record i do know what your talking about so i am not a completely helpless male

-------------
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.

Posted By: Clarabelle
Date Posted: 14 July 2005 at 12:36pm

JR, I take the supplements because they contain a big dose of flaxseed oil that you would have to eat loads of flaxseeds to get! I have suffered from depression and wish not to take synthetic antidepressants, I like to find natural alternatives. They are working for me!

Ummsaleh, I don't think you are weird at all! I like the taste of them too. They are great on salad. They have a unique taste and texture don't they? Kind of silky on your tongue!

So, anyone got any good flaxseed recipes then?!

Clara

-------------
"We look forward to the time when the power of love will replace the love of power. Then will our world know the blessing of peace."

William Ewart Gladstone

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 14 July 2005 at 9:57pm

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yes, flax seed is wonderful.  To get the full benefit from flax seed, you should use both the oil and eat the seeds.  Eating the seeds alone will not give you enough oil to get the full benefit of the oil.  However, simply taking the oil doesn't give you the benefit of the fiber that eating the seeds gives you.  In order to recieve the full benefit of flax seed oil, you should take 2 tablespoons of oil a day.  If you do not like the taste of flax seed oil, you can buy it in gel cap form.  Also, it is best to buy it in at an organic store or other store that sells the type that must be refrigerated.  Flax seed oil loses a lot of it's benefit if it is heated so you shouldn't use the oil for cooking and you should keep it in the refrigerator even if it is not refrigerated when you buy it.  That is why cold press processing is better than other processes for extracting the oil.  Also, the oil is very sensitive to light so do not purchase flax seed oil or gel caps that come in see through containers.  You will be wasting your money.  The seed, however, can be eaten raw or baked into dishes.

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 2:59am
Assalamu Alaikum,

Thanks to everyone for their useful input, mashallah! I had NEVER heard
of these seeds nor their oil before. I purchased the gel caps two days ago
and bought the seeds themselves yesterday. Like you all suggested, I
grounded them in a coffee gridner and I just added them into a glass of
skim milk. Quite tasty!!! I've been having digestive problems lately so it
will be interesting to see how I feel after a few more days on this stuff.
I've been doing a lot of research online about flax and I can't believe all
the benefits!! Awesome!!

Peace,
J.R.

-------------
Smile

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:31am
I'm so glad that some sisters benefited.....

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 8:43am

This week i made wheat bread- black seeds- flax seeds and a cream cheese frosting, all the kids in the neighborhood are requesting this bread.

Posted By: Rose
Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 10:13am

AlSamam 3alaikom,

Wow, I need to get some. Does it help acne?

-------------
A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 10:19am

Salam, 

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/recindex.htm - http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/recindex.htm

could you share some recipes already tested?

thanx

-------------

Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 10:24am

One more thing, what about oatmeal? What do you put it in?

thanx again

-------------

Posted By: Khadija1021
Date Posted: 15 July 2005 at 11:46am
Originally posted by ummsaleh ummsaleh wrote:

This week i made wheat bread- black seeds- flax seeds and a cream cheese frosting, all the kids in the neighborhood are requesting this bread.

Assalamu Alaikum

Sister Ummsaleh, would you please share your recipte for this bread with us?  It sounds wonderful. 

PAZ, Khadija

-------------
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:22am
Assalamu Alaikum,

This is not a recipe for black seeds but I just wanted to let you know my
digestive problems have already begun to subside, ilhamdulilah!!! I've
been putting up with these problems for a while!! THANK YOU THANK
YOU THANK YOU!!    Of course all thanks is to Allah for creating this
lil' seeds!!

Peace,
J.R.

-------------
Smile

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:03pm

Honestly I never measure, i pour everything into my bread machine.

Wheat flour-black seeds- flax seeds- oatmeal-2 eggs(i know how many eggs)- little oil- hot skim/low fat milk-salt-3 teaspoon sugar- 2 tablespoon of yeast, oh yeah some cinnamon

I tried with honey, didn't work/ also tried with butter instead of oil and it was wonderful. This bread must rise for at least an hour before baking it.

Then make a cream cheese frosting

Date Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:06pm
Also, they say that flax seeds help with weight loss. I think it works; it's helping me.

Posted By: Suleyman
Date Posted: 17 July 2005 at 1:35am

Es_Selam'un Aleykum ve Rahmetullahi ve Berakatuh,

Very cute thread i have ever seen and i couldn't imagine how can a seed will be beneficial like i heard in the thread...but i think everyone missed something,a very hard question came from Sister Ummziba:" Does anyone know how to collect the seed easily before it falls to the ground?..."

I wonder,how?...but i think they should be collected before falling to the ground after understanding if they matured(Sister Ummziba one by one;one by one!,bad news for you)by the way it is an hard issue to growing them up...very interesting...before eating something we should know how the serious efforts made them to grow up then this may cause more shukr in our life...wa salaam...

Date Posted: 07 October 2005 at 2:43pm

Assalamu alaikum,

I had asked (back on page one) why flax seeds are not black.  Never got an answer and then, of course, forgot all about it.  Today, I was reading some things about the Prophet (pbuh) and came across a reference to "black seed" or the Prophet's seed, that was said to have amazing healing powers - so I looked it up.

The black seed that the Prophet (pbuh) refers to is nigella sativa (common names: black cumin, Roman corriander, fitch, love in the mist).  So, while flax seed is considered to be very good for you, it is not the "black seed" that the Prophet (pbuh) talked about that has so many healing qualities.

Black seed (nigella sativa) is an annual with small blue flowers that bloom in spring.  The seed pods take until fall to mature, when the black seeds inside can be harvested.

Just "google" nigella sativa and you will find more than enough information on "black seeds".  You can also "google" flax seed to find out about the nutritional qualities of it.

I am glad I came across this, as I thought flax was not the "black seed" but didn't know what was, now I do - and if you are reading this, you do too!

Ramadan mubarak and peace, ummziba.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 August 2006 at 5:57am

Assalamu alaikum,

An update on flax seeds: apparently they should not be eaten whole if you wish to gain much benefit from them, they need to be ground.  Whole seeds just pass right through, so the benefit as a fiber still works!  When grinding flax seeds, one should not generate too much heat (like when using a mortor and pestal) as the heat can cause the seed to go rancid quickly!  Keep your ground seeds in the fridge.

Peace, ummziba

-------------

Posted By: amah
Date Posted: 22 August 2006 at 6:37am
Originally posted by ummziba ummziba wrote:

Assalamu alaikum,

An update on flax seeds: apparently they should not be eaten whole if you wish to gain much benefit from them, they need to be ground.  Whole seeds just pass right through, so the benefit as a fiber still works!  When grinding flax seeds, one should not generate too much heat (like when using a mortor and pestal) as the heat can cause the seed to go rancid quickly!  Keep your ground seeds in the fridge.

Peace, ummziba

Assalaamualaikum sister,

Jazakallahkhair for the info!

Wassalaam.

-------------
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)

Posted By: mariam
Date Posted: 26 August 2006 at 9:05pm
Asalam alykum..sisters..

Only last week I was reading about black seed oil�how wonderful to read this topic..

Me and my husband have been trying for kids. Unable to conceive due to low sperm count a friend of my husbands recommended black seed oil�I pray everyday that it will work..

Thank you for the beautiful posts�

Posted By: rookaiya
Date Posted: 28 September 2006 at 12:49am

salaams

after reading these posts i went out looking for these black seeds. i was advised buy this man that they are called "KULUNGI" seeds. he further told me that thy are very good and that the Prophet SAW used to have these seeds every morning.

i bought the seeds. they dont taste very nice. they are black n vey tiny. even tinier than a grain of rice. im not sure if these are the same seeds that were spoken of here. the ones that i bought have a bit of a chilli taste n i dont think that can be used in baking

not sure if anyone knows of or has heard of KULUNGI SEEDS. as for flaxseeds, i dont know what that is, or whether we have it here in South Africa

Posted By: najamsahar
Date Posted: 28 September 2006 at 1:01am

Kalungi is the indian name for blackseed. Balckseed is used in baking as a sprinkle atop the bread.

Flaxseed is Alsi.

NS

Posted By: najamsahar
Date Posted: 28 September 2006 at 1:06am

Originally posted by mariam mariam wrote:

Asalam alykum..sisters..

Only last week I was reading about black seed oil�how wonderful to read this topic..

Me and my husband have been trying for kids. Unable to conceive due to low sperm count a friend of my husbands recommended black seed oil�I pray everyday that it will work..

Thank you for the beautiful posts�

Dear Mariam,

If you can, get a hold of this book. Prescription for Nutritional Healing, it has properties of various foods and vitamins and the comditions they help for.

I know someone who had some sperm condition and he took something from GNC that was advised in the book. Alhamdulillah they are pregnant now and their doctor was surprised too.

I also have a email that I can forward to you about a honey and cinnamon therapy, nothing special, just eat the honey and cinnamon, different ways for different things. It has something for fertility too.If you have a non-personal email, pm it to me.

And remember, If Allah Wills, you will soon have baby

-NS

Posted By: mariam
Date Posted: 03 October 2006 at 3:45am
Asalam Najma ,

thank you for the advice how wonderful to hear such wonderful story abt the somone you know...

Inshallah oneday i can have my own kids.

thank you sis

mariam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net