IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Western Values and Muslim Community  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Values and Muslim Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:30pm
ahh but the question is.. is it Islam or their culture?

you can build all the schools you want,but the time comes each day they leave the schools and face the world.  The question i have.. unless you also seek to influence nonMuslims and help make a better society.. the issues will be there.

Immigrants face many challenges.. and often they do not understand the culture well enough to guide their kids.. and the generation separates..
its like seeing kids from Latin American countries send their kids to Catholic school the kids still intergrate.

i could even argue that the tendency to isolate is a problem and should be changed.

I do not know the British system.. but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic  critical thinking skills.

I bet you alot of money things have alot to do with economics.. here in the states the PAksitan community is one of the most well-off in the country. And adaption is quite easy. They don't like in high crime areas etc. So hence no gangs.. teenage aexd maybe.. but the other stuff no. Plus as they have intergrated themselves into society they participate on improving the whole community of people.  And thus build the bridges..

Issues like violence, gangs etc.. affect lower income neighborhoods. Parents do  not have the skill set to help thier kids find affective ways of navigating. We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

I have no issue with different types of schools.  But we must be clear do you need pakistani schools or Muslim schools? I think maybe both.. but we should be clear that they are not synonymous with each other.

peace
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 2:02am
Quote In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic critical thinking skills.

Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.

Quote but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture.

Quote We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

Teens haven't had much experience in life and they think short term; most, if not all of them are simply incapable to "accept the good and reject the non so good".
In my opinion, Muslims should not immigrate to the West unless it's a necessity. I would rather suggest them to remain loyal to their country, where they were born, brought up and received the education that enabled them to entertain the prosperous people overseas, and serve their countrymen.

Edited by candid_new - 10 March 2009 at 2:33am
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:12am
Salaam

Britain has a broken society. The teenage pregnancies and the sheer madness of sex education teaches nothing about morality. A fifteen years girl has a child from a thirteen year old boy. They and their parent are very proud of thie child anf grand child. Now two more boys claimed that they are the fathers of the child. DNA test will prove the child's paternity. This means that the girl had multiple sexual relations. Britain's rate of teenage pregnancy is the highest in western Europe. This is a clear indication of broken society. It is an eye opening for the Muslim community who send their children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

Sex education and contraception in schools make children as quasi adults, capable of making their own life choices. Children are being taught that sexually transmitted diseases could be easily treated and there is no acknowledgement of the emotional harm of premature sexual activity. The Government guidance has glamerised teenage fatherhood and underage sex. The truth is that more sex education and contraception are provided to children and teenagers, the more they fall pregant. Studies have shown that access to contraceptions and sex education, sexual activity and conception and prgnancy rates go up.

Bilingual Muslim Children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods.

There are hundreds of state as well as Church schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

hat2010 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hat2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 1:45pm
Peace Iftikhar,

The report of Britain's teen pregnancy rate is more nuanced than the way you are presenting it. In fact, the riskiest country for sex is Niger, which is 90 percent Muslim.

Quote Iftikhar said"The truth is that more sex education and contraception are provided to children and teenagers, the more they fall pregant. Studies have shown that access to contraceptions and sex education, sexual activity and conception and prgnancy rates go up."

"A league table of teenage births in rich nations, a report compiled by Unicef's Innocenti research centre in Florence, Italy, says the United Kingdom's rate is alarmingly high and blames the British culture of secrecy and embarrassment over sex...

The low birth rates in countries such as the Netherlands reflect their more open attitude towards sex and contraception. The "double Dutch" method of using the oral contraceptive pill and condoms may partly explain why Holland has a low rate of sexually transmitted infections that is continuing to fall."

The whole article here:

http://student.bmj.com/issues/02/07/news/223.php

Edited by Jamal Morelli - 10 March 2009 at 1:46pm
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 1:26am
Iftikhar,

as you mentioned there are Christian schools ..and you mention the high rate of sex activity as an issue.. do these students at Christians school refrain from sex more than the average population. I agree that things are a mess.. schools may help.. but i would argue it is but one step

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture. .

It is drenched in its own mess.  I agree it is different... but having just come from there.. it is very prolematic what i saw.

Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.

Well the people I know and met are not at all illiterate. but they make concerted effort to retain their 'culture' because they want to be 'proud' of Pakistani culture. And continue on the same mindless vain. And since i did not talk to many illiterate people.. i cannot say. But they are excused. And keep in mind is the well to do that keep this illiteracy in place and benefit from the peoples' ignorance.   

It is a greater 'darkness' what is happening than what is happening in the west for it is Muslim oppressing Muslim.

I do agree.. most Muslims should not emigrate to the west unless they are prepared to adjust. 

But you know,alhumdillah, some of the most active and forward, go-getting people are the young Muslims in America.

candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:17am
Originally posted by Hayfa Hayfa wrote:

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture. .
It is drenched in its own mess.� I agree it is different... but having just come from there.. it is very prolematic what i saw.

Yes, but the solution is not replacing their culture with Western culture. The solution has to be, sort of, indigenous for it to be acceptable in large scale. Their culture needs to be polished instead of being replaced.
Quote Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.
Well the people I know and met are not at all illiterate. but they make concerted effort to retain their 'culture' because they want to be 'proud' of Pakistani culture.

I was referring to the impact education has on social environment. Equally educated people from different social environments will behave differently. In many ways, people are unconsciously influenced by how the people around them act. They seek recognition and friendship from those around them. Hence, behavior of a person is greatly affected by the expectations of people he lives with.
Quote And continue on the same mindless vain. And since i did not talk to many illiterate people.. i cannot say. But they are excused. And keep in mind is the well to do that keep this illiteracy in place and benefit from the peoples' ignorance.

Yes, indeed. Those Western-educated jackass elites are on their way out of power and will soon be toppled.
Quote It is a greater 'darkness' what is happening than what is happening in the west for it is Muslim oppressing Muslim.

I admit there is 'darkness' because of ignorance and lack of accountability but it's silly to blame the entire community for the mischiefs of the few. Muslims might not be as prosperous as the West, but most of them are honest and hard working.
Quote I do agree.. most Muslims should not emigrate to the west unless they are prepared to adjust.

I said Muslims must not immigrate unless it's a necessity. If they intend to immigrate to the West to escape poverty (that is also partly caused by the mess West has created in the Middle-East and Africa) and can preserve their culture there, I would support them if they intend to take advantage of opportunities available to them in the West.
Quote But you know,alhumdillah, some of the most active and forward, go-getting people are the young Muslims in America.

Yes, Irshad Manji is the perfect example. It has become an industry in the West to bash Islam. More you bash Islam, more upwardly mobile you become. Even sluts are better; they only sell their bodies, not their souls.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

Britain's rate of teenage pregnancy is the highest in western Europe. This is a clear indication of broken society. It is an eye opening for the Muslim community who send their children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

with all due respect. I dont think nonmuslim teachers teach kids to have extramarital sex. By all means support Islamic schools, and market them - but dont use silly examples like that. We muslims need to grow out of the blame-the-nonmuslim mentality. nonmuslim teachers deserve the same respect as muslim teachers.

If a muslim parent has a choice b/w a qualified nonmuslim teacher vs a non-qualified muslim teacher - they would be st**id to choose the nonqualified teacher simply because he/she is a muslim. Good muslims do not discriminate on basis of religion - on a daily basis.

Sex education and contraception in schools make children as quasi adults, capable of making their own life choices.  [Quote]

I dont live in the west - but even I know that parents have an option of having thier kids excused from classes that go against thier belief system. I know for a fact that muslim/jewish kids are often excused from sex education classes. u just need to speak up. that doesnt automatically make state schools bad.

[Quote]
Bilingual Muslim Children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods.

Where are the bilingual parents during this developmental stage? The teacher is not a replacement for a parent. That is just bieng picky and fussy. . . and making a big deal out of non-issues. When u focus too much on non-issues and nitpick - u lose ur credibility as a community - and lose sight of the bigger picture. Save the cribbing for when an actual issue props up  - so atleast we will be taken seriously. Its amazing how the muslim community will band together for a small issue like sniffer dogs at airports or homes - but will never unify to create a Halal menu or globally accepeted Halal board . . .

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:28pm
Chrsalis: how is it in Malaysia?  a well-educated society, do many peoplespeak several languages? And where do they learn them

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic