IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Western Values and Muslim Community  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Values and Muslim Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 5:26am

Genesis 1
29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground�everything that has the breath of life in it�I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

It is not forced on Christians as food laws are in other religions, it is a free choice.

Edited by believer - 26 February 2009 at 5:28am
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2009 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

There are many Christians that do not eat pork.  I am a vegetarian!

Just going off topic

Why are you a vegetarian ? Does Bible command so ? WHat i know is bible says, whatever you eat does n't matter. What matters is that in our heart. I guess its from Mark. InshAllah, shall look into the verses and share here

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

Salaam

The western "values" suggest equality and freedom for all, that means society must allow religious freedom. The Christians and Jews have Church/ Jewish schools as well as kosher meat, yet when Muslims simply ask for the very same treatment,the Islamphobic secular right wing jump up and down screaming that somehow western values have been attacked.

The Jews throught out the western world have their own religious courts. Christians have been enjoying the right to be married in Church. Muslims should have the same right to get married in Masajid as well as they need Sharia Courts, dealing in marriage, civil matters and divorce.

It is easy to say" Go back to where you came from",but do not forget that British Muslims are actually born and educated here. They are in the unenviable position of trying to combine two diffent worlds. That is no easy.

Multiculturalism is not about separation, ghettoisation or balkanisation. It is, instead, a recognition of both diversity and the need for common ground, mutual respect,and cultural engagement.

Muslims all over the world never opposed English as a language what they did was opposition of the Western culture and their system of education. In Pakistan, the medium of instruction is Urdu and English and the official language is both English and Urdu. Pakistan is going to send English teachers to Korea for the teaching of English language.

Muslim parents would like their children to be well versed in standard English to follow the National Curriculum and go for higher studies and research to serve humanity.

Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry.

I am concerned with the education of the Muslim children. It is nothing to do with integration or segregation. Those state as well as Church schools where Muslim children are in majority, in my opinion, may be designated as Muslim community schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models.

Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school.  
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

This post reflects how fussy Muslims can be as a community.  What they are unable to do as a Muslim individual, as a Muslim family or as a Muslim community they demand the government to do for them.

Just a bit off topic, I have a ten year old daughter who is fluent in English, Urdu and Japanese. She has been taught English by English speaking teachers, and Japanese by native Japanese teachers - and none of these teachers knew any other language. Urdu is what we speak at home.

Back to the topic ...
The Jews throught out the western world have their own religious courts. Christians have been enjoying the right to be married in Church. Muslims should have the same right to get married in Masajid as well as they need Sharia Courts, dealing in marriage, civil matters and divorce.

This was one good point. Something I would  want to draw attention of others on a different string ... perhaps later.

"Majority of Muslim children leave schools with low grades because state schools with monolingual teachers are not capable of teaching English to bilingual children.At the same time, they need to learn and be well versed in Arabic, Urdu and other community languages to keep in touch with their cultural roots and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. "

At one point you say the Muslims in Britain are born there, so I don't understand how they have a problem with English as a medium of instruction in schools.   Are these children totally isolated from the world around them? If children are having a hard time learning English in Britain, I wonder how much Muslims are contributing to the society!! They sound like a burden on the place.  If they cannot learn the language of the place, what else can they do to improve it!

If parents cannot teach Urdu and Arabic at home, it is also terrible. I know Arabic and Urdu, but I never learned any of it in any school or University. Now I teach my kids ... and I don't need any school to do this for me - never thought it was such a big deal.
Isn't there anyone in the British Muslim community who can conduct classes in urdu and arabic privately? And what is wrong in it if your culture is dear to you?

"Bilingual Muslim children need state funded Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods. There is no place for a non-Muslim child or a teacher in a Muslim school. "

This is a very raciest comment. Are Muslim children not allowed in other schools? If so, why do you think non-Muslim children or teachers should be kept out of Muslim schools?
Why are muslims so scared of others diluting their culture? Is it because their love and adherence to their culture is not strong enough?  If so, something should be done within first, before changing the world around them.

Many times we need to be somebody, rather than say something or do something to bring a change.

Edited by Nausheen - 02 March 2009 at 7:51pm
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 11:37pm
Salam/Peace,

Agree Nausheen, children can learn multiple launguages easily. Muslim children in US mostly ahead, because majority of muslim parent more aware to their children education compare to other minority group. They learn arabic, urdu or other laguages at weekend school or at home. Their english as perfect as white children or black children that their parent are english native.
In my kids school (small islamic school) there are 10 teachers, 3 teachers are non muslim.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:57pm
Quote This post reflects how fussy Muslims can be as a community. What they are unable to do as a Muslim individual, as a Muslim family or as a Muslim community they demand the government to do for them.

They pay the taxes, too, they should have a say over how THEIR money is spent.
Quote Why are muslims so scared of others diluting their culture? Is it because their love and adherence to their culture is not strong enough? If so, something should be done within first, before changing the world around them.

I don't agree. Many people are selfish and lack foresight that it is impossible for them to correctly judge different cultures. For example, women in Europe were long back given freedom to work outside. For their own materialistic interests they chose to concentrate on their careers and have fewer children, although they had the means to support and take care of more children. Now, Europe abruptly finds itself with an overaging population with fewer and fewer young people to sustain the economy and pay the taxes to cover the pension of an aging population. The very survival of certain European nations is threatened.

What can be wrong in the native cultures of the children of immigrants that they take to alcohol and promiscuity when they grow up in Western countries, thereby harming their society and lives? Young people do so simply because they don't want to be left out. It's because of their desire to belong that they want to conform to decadent and immoral practices of Western "culture". It has nothing to do with the flaws of their own native culture (which I admit are not few).

Edited by candid_new - 04 March 2009 at 11:16pm
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:39am
i think it is fine to not want your culture / Islam to be lost. Frankly 'culture' will be. If you live there it WILL influence your kids.. unless you isolate like the Hasidic Jewish communities and such.

If there is a Muslim school, like Catholic schools, have non Muslim students/ teamuchers who agree to the rules.. great. It is like Dawah.. I do not see why a nonMuslim cannot teach English.

its all a balancing act..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 8:15am

I dont even see a problem with Non-Muslim teachers teaching Arabic or anyother subject . . . . the only subject that I feel is exclusive to Muslim teachers and should remain so, would be related to Islamic Studies.

Remember the Battle of Badr? (i think thats the one, pl correct) The ransom of non-muslim POWs back then, was to teach muslim children. They could go free after teaching muslim children.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 11:43am

Salaam

The demand for Muslim schools is not just a question of equality, but spring from a belief among many minority parents that the education system does not adequately address their cultural needs. Failing to meet the need could result in fuelling resentment among a group who already feel excluded - concern over food and dress and the treatment of Empire in the curriculum are compounded by the relatively low achievement of children of Pakistan and Bangladeshi orgin. Setting up Muslim schools is a defensive response.

We are living in a plethora of challenges ranging from gang and gun crime to drug and alcohal, relationships and teenage pregnancies to questions of being apparently under pressure of being drawn into violent extremism. These challanges lay a great burden upon Muslim community. Muslim community is duty bound to help and guide future generation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic