IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chastity  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chastity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chastity
    Posted: 03 February 2008 at 11:56am
chaste - LOL!!  With so many wives I hope so!!

Edited by believer
John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2008 at 2:37pm

Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

chaste - LOL!!  With so many wives I hope so!!

What is chastity? And how is being chaste related to one�s having a wife or wives?

Another thing is that this section is not meant for such discussions. Please start a thread in Islam for non-Muslim section where it would be appropriately dealt with, insha Allah ( God willing ).

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2008 at 7:16pm
chastity

noun
1.  abstaining from sexual relations (as because of religious vows) 
2.  morality with respect to sexual relations  

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2008 at 10:58am

Chastity also means virtuous character. If one fulfills his responsibilities towards his wife or wives and children, he is chaste; and if one is reckless in connection with those obligations or has extramarital relations, regardless of number of marriage partners he has, it would be appropriate to term him unchaste.

P.S. believer, I moved above posts here from Prophet Muhammad section due to their relevance and that resulted in a new thread. If you would like to rename this thread ( Chastity ), please let me know that.

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 7:14am
As per #2 believer, if married, then it doesn't matter how many wives as long as you are treating them all well and they are all willing to be plural wives.

Chastity comes from one's approach to sex within the bounds of the teachings of their religion.

Some religions would consider any sexual relations poisonous to the soul, an attachment to the physical world and an encumbrance to passing to a higher state.

Its not so black and white, only for religions that teach monogamy is the only way.  But the tone you take can be applied to Jacob/Israel, Abraham, Solomon, and several of the Old Testament Prophets.

Polygamy is a long practiced and God allowed institution. 
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 10:26am
It was not allowed to Abraham- He sinned when he was not patient enough to wait for GOD to give him offspring from Sarah.
John 3
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:35pm

Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

It was not allowed to Abraham- He sinned when he was not patient enough to wait for GOD to give him offspring from Sarah.

Believer, you are silly trying to attach sin with a prophet of God. Whatever you may be, I know you have a special list of your own about the prophets too. But you cannot say that Abraham sinned. That He was not patient enough to wait. How long can you wait?? He waited till he was 86 years old. I believe that you have sinned by blaming Abraham.

I am sure you are not in your senses. Did Abraham querrel with his wife or God. he only prayed to god to grant him a heir, a pleasant forebearing son. Sarah was barren. She gave up completely. i don't know why you did not blame sarah for giving another lady (hagar) to Abraham as a wife. Why did she do that?? was she also guilty?? Believer, you don't know what you are talking about.

Sarah was barren. She gave up as a failure to bear a son. It was her good work that she gave Hagar as a wife to Abraham. Hagar bore Ishmael as a first born son for Abraham. That was Abraham's seed. Then Allah put Abraham to test, i.e. to sacrifice his dearest thing in the way of Allah. His dearest thing in the world was his son of old age i.e. Ishmael. Abraham prepared and got ready to sacrifice him.

Allah was all the more pleased with Abraham and as a result of His  pleasure,  Allah granted another son to Abraham from sarah. That was Issac. That was the result of the sacrifice of Ishmael.

Please do not be quick in blaming any man of God.

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2008 at 6:37am

Men of GOD are just that men, with the potential to sin as any of us.

You wait until GOD provides.  GOD does not break promises, or change HIS mind.  Yes, Sarah was impatient too, but Abraham could have been strong and refused.

Even after Abaham and Sarah sinned, GOD came through with the son GOD has promised.  GOD promised Abraham and Sarah a child.  They did not trust in GOD.  They sought out their own solution, against GOD wanting them to wait and be patient.

Genesis 21

The Birth of Isaac

1 Now the LORD was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. 2 Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. 3 Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore him. 4 When his son Isaac was eight days old, Abraham circumcised him, as God commanded him. 5 Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him.

6 Sarah said, "God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me." 7 And she added, "Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age."

minuteman  -have you read the Old Testament?

John 3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic