IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the purpose behind our existence?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the purpose behind our existence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Dworsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 4:45am
This guy gets to the tender age of 50 something- his wife is
preoccupied- his children away from home- self sufficient and educated.

He has his health, a couple of savings accounts and he's basically set.

He's done his job as a husband a father a worker and yet he feels a
gaping void in his life.

He calls upon friends associates and spiritual leaders of his community
one by one and asks them, "Why am I here? What is the meaning of my
life?" What is the meaning of any life?...

He finds that every one has an opinion. The spiritual leaders hand him
religious rhetoric. The associates offer him stock options and the friends
offer him telephone numbers- Life coaches - Psychologists- Chinese
herbalists - high colonic technicians ((If you don't know what a high
colonic is do not ask in mixed company)
But

I

digress,

Where was I?

OH. a couple of friends returning from India speak of a wise man- a Guru
- A great monk, who sits atop a mountain in Tibet and they speak of how
in the course of one's Journey to reach this great teacher then and only
then can a person in body and soul accept and absorb the answer that
will bring profound enlightenment.

This guy braves the elements marauding bandits wild beasts extreme
weather illness exhaustion and pain he reaches the Guru on all fours as
weak as a kitten after spin cycle and asks   "What is the meaning of life?"

"Well." Says the Guru, "Life is a bowl of cherries."
Our guy thinks about this- can't wrap his mind around it. He repeats the
answer, "Life is a bowl of cherries."
"Yah"says the Guru in an encouraging and friendly manner.

"Life? Is a bowl of...   cherries ?", asks the Guy and adds in a voice
filled with equal double helpings of exasperation, disappointment anger
and despair,

"LIFE?", He demands.

The Guru asks no one in particular,

"Life is not a bowl of Cherries?"
minuteman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minuteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 11:22am

While discussing the purpose of our life, please do not forget the idea of usefulness. We should first understand whether our life is meaningful or vain. If there is a purpose in our lives then it is o.k. to try to understand and find out that purpose. That brings us to the topic now. We are then yet at the first step (footstep).

Life is meaningful. It has a purpose. The point of finding out how life came into being is another important issue. Has the life emerged of itself without any creator or it had a creator who created life??

That will divide the people into two major groups, the believers in God and the atheists. Mauri does not appear to be right about the atheists believing in god. They do not. That is why they are called atheists.

We leave the atheists aside and come to take side with the believers. God is the creator of all things. The creator knows all the best about His creation. If I make a radio or a Car then I know the best all about those things and their do's and don't's. The others may also have some idea but it could not be as much as I myself know about the things that I designed and made.

In the end, I can only give the answer that Islam has provided (as has been posted already here) that Allah created the Jinn and mankind for his worship (only). He is the creator and He has told it all. So we believe that.

If there is no purpose in life then there is no morale. No happiness, no beauty of life. That type of life would be like a boat without a rudder. In the end I may say that the good purpose of life, that is beautiful and comfortable with little suffering is possible only by believing that God/Allah created us for His worship only and by His worship only we can achieve the beauty and comfort of life. No other way.

i s2 islam View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i s2 islam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2007 at 10:24pm
this life is a test, eg. you are sitting an exam, you either pass or fail.

So the purpose of this life is to test us as humans. as rules and islamic laws have been set down in order to see if we follow the right or wrong path, which path we take will provide our destination either heaven or hell. it is a simple as that, so be the smart one and follow Allah's will.
believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2008 at 7:06pm

Why do parents create a child?

Love, nothing better then giving love to a child.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Aminah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aminah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 5:55pm

ASA,

Cassandra, everything has a purpose nothing is created by chance or with out great thought behind it. Allah or God creates everything and holds all knowledge to every living thing

There is a great vs. in the Quran' I just can't think of the Ayat vs.# right now off the top of my head someone please help....UGGGH! and I did an entire fall homeschooling lesson about it and took the munchkins on a walk thru the woods by our home......Shame on me

But it says and not in these exact words that Allah knows when every leaf falls from the tree and where it will land because Allah is all knowing. It really is a wonderful vs. I just didn't do it justice....maybe minuteman or someone can update the Surah and Ayat#.....

believer, parents do not create a child Allah creates and plans our entire lives for us before we enter the womb....at the point when the childs heart begins to beat two Angels carry it's soul down from Jannah or Heaven and put it safely into the child.....No doubt the parents provide certain necessary physical building blocks but without Allahs will there would be no child.

believer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 5:51am

LOL!!  You didn't understand my point.

That love the parents feel for their child is the LOVE GOD feels for us.  There is no better thing then giving LOVE.

We are here so GOD can give us LOVE.

John 3
16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 6:20am
Originally posted by Aminah07 Aminah07 wrote:

two Angels carry it's soul down from Jannah or Heaven and put it safely into the child

maybe you can explain this in another thread as well as how do the angels put the soul in a child.

I would perfer this in another thread as to not get off topic. 

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by believer believer wrote:

That love the parents feel for their child is the LOVE GOD feels for us.  There is no better thing then giving LOVE.

We are here so GOD can give us LOVE.

Actually Allah created mankind as a test for mankind. For mankind to find what the purpose of his existence, from who or where he came and to who or where he returns.

If you talk about LOVE, nobody's love is greater than God's love. HE LOVES EACH AND EVERYONE OF US NO MATTER WHAT COLOUR OR RACE OR RELIGION. HE CREATED THE AIR FOR US TO BREATHE, THE WATER FOR US TO DRINK, THE EARTH FOR FOOD TO GROW AND FOR US TO EAT. In fact every single creation of His obey His command. The earth orbits the sun, the moon orbits the earth and they never ever dare to disobey Him. Unlike human.

HE only wants us to acknowledge HIM as the ONE TRUE GOD, without any associates whatsoever.

Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic