IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the purpose behind our existence?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the purpose behind our existence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khairullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the purpose behind our existence?
    Posted: 16 August 2007 at 5:33am

please tell me what is the purpose of life or the purpose behind our existence?

every one is urged to answer especially none muslims.

waiting for response....

Your brother in Islam Khairullah.

1:"The TRUTH stands out clear from error"2:256

2:"When comes the Help of God, and Victory And thou dost see the people enter God's Religion (ISLAM) in crowds".110:01-2.
Cassandra View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 3:41pm

Khairullah.  I am both surprised and not so surprised at the lack of response to your questions.  I don't want to disappoint you but I too have no answer.  It is, however, an interesting point.  But, it begs the question: what if there is no divine purpose?  It's a bit like: "What if we are the only intelligent life in the Universe?"  What if God has no purpose for us and the goal of life is to discover that and live with simplicity and decency and honesty? And tolerance? Perhaps our only purpose is to propagate our species, to try to live in harmony, and in some way or another, to try to gain or regain some joy along the way?  In my 50's, I am seeing more beauty in the way that the universe unfolds before me than I have ever done so before.  But perhaps that is because I am looking for it.

I look forward to the continuance of this thread.

C

I would write more, but I honestly can't see the point.

Khadija1021 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khadija1021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2007 at 9:36pm

Cassandra

As stated on the main page, this area of IC forum is where Non-Muslims can come to ask questions about Islam.  This area was created for the purpose of discussion that leads to learning and not for debate.  That which is to be learned here...discussed...is Islam and not whatever it is you are trying to espouse here.  As Muslims we believe God created us for a purpose as He did all of the rest of creation and that our highest purpose is to worship Allah who is both our creator and sustainer.  Furthermore, if we do this in a manner that is pleasing to Allah, we will be blessed with a place in Jannah.

To a Muslim, your position is not only incorrect but also one not to be desired.  However, as Muslims, we understand that some humans will not be amongst the believers and the reason for this is that humans have freewill and are allowed to chose rather to believe or not. 

It is interesting that you said, "In my 50's, I am seeing more beauty in the way that the universe unfolds before me than I have ever done so before.  But perhaps that is because I am looking for it."  It appears to me that you are saying that an absence of believing in God or a purpose, allows you to be able to see the beauty of the universe as it unfolds; however, I, as a Muslim, believe that nothing is possible without Allah the Creator and Sustainer of all things...and furthermore, that the very nature that you speak of as if it came out of nothingness is actual a sign of not only His existence but His greatness.  To Muslims, the beauty you see is a message...a sign...from Allah for those who use reason.  The ayat that states this is as follows,

2:164 Verily, in the creation of the heavens and of the earth, and the succession of night and day: and in the ships that speed through the sea with what is useful to man: and in the waters which God sends down from the sky, giving life thereby to the earth after it had, been lifeless, and causing all manner of living creatures to multiply thereon: and in the change of the winds, and the clouds that run their appointed courses between sky and earth: [in all this] there are messages indeed for people who use their reason.

Allahu Akbar...God is Great!!!

Cassandra, as a moderator, I am warning you that if you are not here to help non-Muslims learn about Islam or if you are not here to sincerely learn about Islam, then you should not post on this thread. 

Salam

Sister Khadija

Edited by Khadija1021
Say: 'My prayer and my rites, my living and my dying, are for Allah alone, the Lord of all the worlds. (Qur'an, 6:162)
khairullah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khairullah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2007 at 1:23am

masha Allah Khadija you have given explanation about the purpose of life. but in the next thread i will post another thread for all those none muslims who dont know what the purpose of life is.

sister Cansandra you said:

What if God has no purpose for us

this is a fundamental question why would god do something so important when he doesnt have any purpose for it?

please read my next post.

thank you.

1:"The TRUTH stands out clear from error"2:256

2:"When comes the Help of God, and Victory And thou dost see the people enter God's Religion (ISLAM) in crowds".110:01-2.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2007 at 8:28am

As Salamu Alaikum

The most comprehensive answer to this question is this short Ayat from the Glorious Qur'an

Surah Adh-Dhariyat 51:56

And I created not the Jinn and Mankind except that they should worship ME

Everything else follows from this Ayat.

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Cassandra Cassandra wrote:

I am both surprised and not so surprised at the lack of response to your questions. 

Cassie, give people a chance, its not even 12 hours between your reply and the original posters equiry

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 2:57am
Originally posted by khairullah khairullah wrote:

please tell me what is the purpose of life or the purpose behind our existence?

every one is urged to answer especially none muslims.

waiting for response....

Your brother in Islam Khairullah.

If you want non muslims response, you going to have to expect non islamic responses.

What is the purpose of life and or purpose behind existence? well, to experience life  I guess one philosophical answer is, that we are a spiritual being, experiencing physical existence. And mostly because we want to. Some say our bodies are merely a shell to our spiritual form. To experience everything is also to experience physical life.

Yes, i know that this isn't islamic, its neither a debate or dicussion (unless the poster wants then it may need to go elsewhere) its just a response from a non muslim, as per the posters request   hehe

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
n_k07 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n_k07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 3:30am

Allah is the creator of everything. It is beyond our imagination and explanation how this universe and other universes was created. It is Allah who is the only praiseworthy and to be glorified. Allah loves when his creations glorify Him and pays gratitude to Him for the abundance He has given to His creations and of course, the glory and praise starts only from Allah and ends at Him.

So, human beings are created to glorify, to praise, to worship and to obey Allah. He has set the guidelines through the Holy Quran and through His Messangers about our duty and why we were sent on this earth. Analyzing everything, we understand that Allah loves two things the most which is

1. Allahke waste Ibaadat(worship to Allah and obeying Allah's order)

2. Allahke bandoki khidmat(serving the mankind and our Lord's all creations).

Hope this answers your question.

I would also like to add here that islam is an absolutely perfect religion as it's guidelines are created by Allah, the Almighty. It is never possible that there is no answer to any question raised. Quran has the answer of every thing. It is we, who fail to understand the interpretation of Quran and it is our lack of Knowledge. We read Quran but we fail to implement it's teachings on us. So Quran is not to read only, it is to understand and implement. Whenever any question arises in mind, Alham-do-lillah, go through the Quran and you will surely get the answer. 

I was born as a non Muslim, but about 6 years back, by the grace of Allah, i read about islam and i understood the message of Islam and on that very day i had embraced Islam in the love of Allah. Today, i am proud to be a muslim. We muslims are definitely the blessed ones as our guide is Allah, the Almighty.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic