IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a question for atheists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a question for atheists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 2:22pm
Quote Airmano:
For convenience I give you the link to the most prominent scientific journals: Science and Nature.

The Saint
But you did not check whether it was workable for everyone. LOL
Tried [again] on two different computers and both links [still] work. May be you don't know how to click ?
--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Airmano:
May be, but I better do not even try to imagine which animal you evolved from.

The Saint:
You do not have to because I was evolved from a Man as planned and executed by God Almighty.
If so then I'm not impressed by the job he did.
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Airmano:
I do not mind people being religious, but I do mind when religious principles are held up against reality.

The Saint
...And your reality is presumptious!
If you feel that science is presumptuous, then be it so.
-----------------------------------

Quote Airmano:
In this sense there is absolutely no difference between Islamic and Christian fundamentalism.
The Saint:
The third reason is that Islam and Christianity are vastly different from each other.

In some aspects 'yes', but not but not when it comes to the denial of reality.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 31 May 2016 at 4:29am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 9:20pm
> Last I heard it was a theory of evolution.

Such a statement indicates someone who doesn't know the definition of "theory" in the scientific sense but is incorrectly reasoning from the vernacular meaning.

And to be precise, Darwin proposed the Theory of Natural Selection to explain the FACTS of Evolution.

As before, Relativity is a 'theory' that explains the facts of gravity, etc..

-----

> I refuse to believe that life is pointless.

Seems like a pretty good way to think.

> To be an atheist, you'd have to not have a soul...

How do you know that? And while you are at it, define "soul"?

> and if you did not have a soul you would not care about anything

And how would you know that? Presumedly you have never been an atheist nor (as far as you know) without a soul.

On the other hand, how can you prove you have this "soul" thing you need to define a step or so back.

-------

Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

Quote Caringheart:
The falseness of Darwinism has been proven.... His theories are, with every passing day, being more and more rejected.

I do not mind people being religious, but I do mind when religious principles are held up against reality.

In this sense there is absolutely no difference between Islamic and Christian fundamentalism.

Airmano

I have always though it dangerous to base ones religious belief in opposition to science or upon some unsupportable but testable hypothesis (e.g., evolution == no god).

As the science is clarifide or the believe simply learns more, this forces the believer into one of two very difficult positions:

1) Losing faith
2) Denying reality.

As so the arrogance of disbelieving in the facts of the world (e.g., evolution), this would mean that the so-called 'believer' is putting LIMITS on God's/Allah's way of building reality.

What prevents God/Allah from using the mechanism of evolution to create the variety of life we see -- it's an amazingly elegant solution. I defy anyone to come up with a better one if you play the what if game of "If I were God/Allah, I would have...."

This would be like saying "sex is evil" so God/Allah would never have created humans to have sex simply to have children. (e.g., God/Allah could have created all children magically instead.)

And then there is this:

If God/Allah didn't want people to believe in evolution and the Theory of Natural Selection then he would not have buried all of those dinosaur (etc.) bone so deep, and in ancient sediments.
--
Ringer
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 1:11pm
Further clarification for the 'atheists'.... (things to think on)

What do you suppose guides the creatures of the earth?
Why do birds know how to migrate?  What is guiding them?
Why is it the animals always know (as the humans never do) when there is impending danger?  Why do they run before an earthquake?  Why do birds, frogs, and other creatures, know when it is time to take shelter?

They (unlike us humans who have been disconnected through our sin) are in touch with the Creator (God) which guides them.
Only the human creature forgets his Creator.

Edited by Caringheart - 31 May 2016 at 1:13pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Tim the plumber Tim the plumber wrote:

Greetings Tim the plumber,

What is the meaning of life to an atheist?
What is the point of pro-creating?

...if we just live and die...

Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

The world does not change upon you wishing it to be different.
Airmano

Greetings Airmano,

No, but if we do things according to the way the Creator designed things to be, the creation continues on...
whereas, if we do things according to how the enemy of the Creator wants us to... doing things, each of us according to his or her own will, and in our own foolish wisdom apart from the Creator... the creation will destroy itself.

To everything created with a design.... ignore that design.... go against that design, and you deconstruct the very thing that was created... i.e., you destroy it.
The clay belongs to the potter's hands.

asalaam and blessings to you,
CAringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 01 June 2016 at 12:06am
Blessed be God forever
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 12:15am
Originally posted by Ringer Ringer wrote:

... define "soul"?

Greetings Ringer,

I believe I already did...
the soul is the thing that sets humans apart from animals.
It is the thing which causes us to question the reason and the purpose of our existence... a thing which I am pretty sure that animals do not do. Smile

> and if you did not have a soul you would not care about anything

And how would you know that? Presumedly you have never been an atheist nor (as far as you know) without a soul.

On the other hand, how can you prove you have this "soul" thing you need to define a step or so back.

I can only address this by saying that we have seen the people without a soul.... they are the psychopaths... the serial killers.... the people with no conscience.... with no regard for life

anyone who cares for life knows his Creator.

Edited by Caringheart - 01 June 2016 at 12:25am
Blessed be God forever
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 12:24am

I have always though it dangerous to base ones religious belief in opposition to science or upon some unsupportable but testable hypothesis (e.g., evolution == no god).

I don't think that 'evolution=no God'

I think that the Creator can create in any way that He wishes to create... and that man can describe this process only in the best way and terms that he knew (or knows) how....
but no matter how life changed, either after, or throughout, the creation process.... a human is a human.... a dog is always a dog.... an ape is always an ape, etc.
The Creator created each individual species (as clay in the potters hand) and that species is what they remain, no matter how they may have adapted through time.

As far as the dinosaurs... we must remember, the dinosaurs did not last....
seems the Creator decided to create something vastly different.  Smile

asalaam and blessings to you,
CAringheart
Blessed be God forever
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2016 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Further clarification for the 'atheists'.... (things to think on)

What do you suppose guides the creatures of the earth?
Why do birds know how to migrate?  What is guiding them?
Why is it the animals always know (as the humans never do) when there is impending danger?  Why do they run before an earthquake?  Why do birds, frogs, and other creatures, know when it is time to take shelter?

They (unlike us humans who have been disconnected through our sin) are in touch with the Creator (God) which guides them.
Only the human creature forgets his Creator.

So as and when some scientist discovers the exact mechanism for the migration instinct in an animal that animal is nolonger to be considered to be in direct touch with God but just some sort of robot whilst the rest still get to keep their special status.

Why is it that just because science does not know everything, although a lot about migration is known, that must equal "GOD!!"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic