IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 6:07am
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

As we have become better able to travel around the world I think it is clear that people must eat what they are provided with to eat according to where they live.... that or starve.

I think you like being silly LOL

Unfortunately because you live on another planet all you got is pig and that's why you'd starve. See here on Earth we have a larger selection:

1) Camel

2) Goat

3) Sheep

4) Buffalo

5) Stag

6) Rabbit

7) Cow 

8) Wild-ass

9) Fish

10) Deer/Antelope/Gazelle

11) Duck

12) Heron

13) Nightingale

14) Quail

15) Parrot

16) Francolin

17) Locust

18) Partridge 

19) Lark

20) Sparrow

21) Goose

22) Ostrich

23) Dove

24) Pigeon

25) Stork

26) Rooster

27) Chicken

28) Peacock

29) Starling

30) Hoopoe

Edited by Rational - 17 January 2013 at 6:17am
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Rational Rational wrote:

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

As we have become better able to travel around the world I think it is clear that people must eat what they are provided with to eat according to where they live.... that or starve.

I think you like being silly LOL

LOL  You did make me laugh with that comment.  No I was not meaning to be silly.  I was just making the point that people eat what there is to eat.  I mean I am sure that people on other continents were never aware of God's command not to eat pork, and if boar presents itself for food against starving... well all I meant was we eat was is there to eat.  There are places on this earth I can not imagine how I would survive because of the things they eat.

"here on Earth we have a larger selection"
but not in all places...
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 7:46am
Okay, now I'm confused. How does camel and hare make the okay list? The same reasons were given in the Torah for swine and camels.  
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:26pm
Nobody wants to explain this?

Are there any special names for camel eaters?
I'm a Gentile.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 12:00pm
A friend of mine wrote this;
         "Pigs being one of the smartest mammals... Normal gates and fences don't stop them. One of ours kept opening gates and letting the other animals out. "

Maybe that's why we're not supposed to eat them... intelligent life?

Hey, in India the cow was(maybe still is?) held as sacred.  Maybe cows were held as sacred because they gave life giving milk?  Don't kill what can feed you for more than just a day?

Edited by Caringheart - 22 January 2013 at 12:01pm
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 7:05pm
Actually I hear a pigs digestive system is very similar to ours, also cannibals have said people taste like pork. Add to that they are genetically modifying pigs now so their parts are not rejected by humans. Yeah, a 200 lb pigs heart is the same size as a 200 lb mans heart, and the circulatory system is also similar enough for transplant.

I wonder what Ron would say...
I'm a Gentile.
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 8:45am
A little more on dietary laws,

--- Starting in Surah 2:
173 He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of God. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, - then is he guiltless. For God is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful.

This compares to Surah 5:
3 Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked the name of other than God; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; --- (I omitted part of the verse, --- to where it continues at the end, and it says about the same as in 2:173.)
--- But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, God is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
--- (So if a starving Muslim came to a house where they were serving ham, or pork chops, it would be okay for him to eat them, would it not?)

4 They ask thee what is lawful to them (as food). Say: lawful unto you are (all) things good and pure: and what ye have taught your trained hunting animals (to catch) in the manner directed to you by God: eat what they catch for you, but pronounce the name of God over it: and fear God; for God is swift in taking account.

5 This day are (all) things good and pure made lawful unto you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them. (Lawful unto you in marriage) are (not only) chaste women who are believers, but chaste women among the People of the Book, revealed before your time, - when ye give them their due dowers, and desire chastity, not lewdness, nor secret intrigues.

If honorable Muslim men marry chaste Christian women, then they could eat the food of Christians, could they not?

In all fairness to custom, a Muslim man may not want to eat pork because of the instruction in 5:3, not to eat pork, --- but he should allow his Christian wife to eat it, should he not? --- Or if he accepts that, with marrying a Christian, all foods are good, as it says in 5:5, --- then he could eat pork as part of the Christian diet, could he not?

I don�t suppose the Apostles and Jewish disciples of Jesus ever ate pork, but they didn�t disallow it for the Gentiles, as was instructed by James and the Apostles in Acts 15:
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Placid

honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2013 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)</span>Wishing you well,CH

Caringheart,
I have asked for a command. All this blah blah does not show any commands. God commanded before that "thou shall not eat meat of swine". That's called a command. When God tells us to do something or not to do something, he sends a commands. Where is the command, "thou shall now eat of all that was declared unclean to you before"! where did God say that?
I can find many similar obscure messages like you quoted and their possible interpretation that will be as ridiculous as yours. But I would not do that, I want you to show me a command where God commands you to free yourself from dietary laws He has in place before.
Hasan
Why in tarnation would God need to give a command like you are asking for.� You give a command when you are prohibiting something, not when you are giving permission.I guess, "blah, blah, blah", means you didn't even read, so why did I bother to take my time to share?Did you read my other post about why God forbid pork to the Jews in the first place?

Caringheart,
I have asked a simple thing. When God gives a command to forbid something, it is forbidden, unless God commands that it is OK now to do. I know where God commanded to not to eat pig, what I am asking is where did God said that it is Ok to eat now, no more forbidden. Can you provide that as a proof to your argument?
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic