IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a question for atheists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a question for atheists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 1:58pm
@ Caringheart:

Don't chicken out, I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: "What guides the Guinea Worm ?"

Airmano
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Ringer Ringer wrote:

You've again introduced this idea of "design" and claimed that it is not the same for animals and humans without any evidence.

In fact there is virtually unlimited evidence to the contrary in that humans and animals are indistinguishable by such criteria and were developed (evolved) by the principles of natural selection.

Greetings Ringer,

Without any evidence?
Is it not evident that humans are given a greater mental capacity than other creatures?
Are you saying that you believe that one day dogs may talk?  What about apes, monkeys, cats?  Will they all evolve to one day have the same skill set that humans have?

Originally posted by Ringer Ringer wrote:

It seems the best way for religious people to approach this -- as it will then cause no conflict between the demonstrable reality of the world we experience and the beliefs of religion.

I am very serious about this and have always thought (and mentioned above) that those who place their religious beliefs in opposition to scientific knowledge set themselves up for disappointment (at best) and apostasy (at the extreme.)

Scientific knowledge?
Science is just as much a religion... and a belief system, as anything else.
You think that science 'proves' realities?  Science is all about interpretation.
We define our own realities through 'science'.
There still has to be a Creator that made the laws of physics, the laws of gravity, Newton's law, quantum mechanics, etc.

I'd like to share something I wrote the other day:
Beyond the Veil

Standing outside in a storm, it is so easy to understand how the ancients would have thought the gods, or God, was angry.
The rain coming with fury.
The all encompassing booming of the thunder... enough to make one cower.
The way the lightning divides the sky... the 'veil' being torn in two...
so many things easy to understand... and yet, not
I stand there and I wonder at what they knew.  I wonder at what we do not know.
The battle going on out there beyond our vision... beyond the veil.

Standing in the storm... how could anyone not believe that there is a great deal more to this thing we call life?

So what about 'those who place their scientific beliefs in opposition to ancient knowledge'?

asalaam and blessings to you,
Caringheart

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Ringer,

in fact, in a way, humans thwart natural selection by not being smart in their mating choices... but that too is because they have strayed from the guidance of the Creator.... He has told us how to behave.  Humans choose not to listen, and to do things according to their own mind.

One of the actual differences between humans and animals is that we can more easily thwart our natural instincts and built in tendencies.

This is both our great boon and advantage, while also being on occasion our burden.

We're smart, and sometimes smart enough to do extremely st**id things.

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Ringer,

asalaam and blessings to you, Smile
Caringheart

And to you.

[/QUOTE]
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2016 at 11:26am
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@ Caringheart:
Don't chicken out, I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: "What guides the Guinea Worm ?"
Airmano

Greetings airmano,

I do not understand the question.
The same thing guides the guinea worm as guides the behavior of all creatures... whatever mechanism the Creator built into the creature.

asalaam and blessings,
Caringheart
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 3:00am
I need actual evidence for the existance of this soul thing not evidence of somebody talking about it.

What kind/shape of evidence would that be?

I have talked about it when I'm being a bit dramatic. It does not mean that it is a real thing.

I do not know wen you are being dramatic or when you are being serious but you need to spell out what will convince you. If I can get it, I will.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 10:10am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

I need actual evidence for the existance of this soul thing not evidence of somebody talking about it.

What kind/shape of evidence would that be?

I have talked about it when I'm being a bit dramatic. It does not mean that it is a real thing.

I do not know wen you are being dramatic or when you are being serious but you need to spell out what will convince you. If I can get it, I will.

That is sort of the point Saint, anyone referring to such a nebulous concept as a real thing would need to a) define it carefully and b) provide evendence.

Words like "soul" which have no agreed upon meaning nor tests for existence are very difficult to discuss intelligently.

(Also, I'll look up the "old Qur'an" info for you as soon as I have time but you should be able to find it yourself if you are seriously interested.)

A search like "oldest surviving Quran" might be enough.

--
Ringer
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 11:11am
Quote Caringheart:
The same thing guides the guinea worm as guides the behavior of all creatures... whatever mechanism the Creator built into the creature.

So it is the creator that built the Guinea worm including the mechanism of eating his way through living people.

Nice job, thanks creator!

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 20 July 2016 at 1:22pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
bebeeells1 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebeeells1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2016 at 11:18pm
I thought I would post this as an example of a Humanist funeral reading;

How do We Let A Mother Go
How do we let a mother go?
How do we say "I'm ready now to go on without you"?
How can we ever have a clue of what that really means?
And of a sudden the moment is upon us, and there's no turning back.
And then we know what grief is,... and guilt and love and things undone.
Try to prepare and we will fail in some way, be it subtle or looming....

But there is peace too. peace and acceptance and overwhelming love that we maybe weren't aware of. waves and waves of conflicting emotion,
And laughter too, and memories we hadn't bothered lately to recall come flooding back in shared company.. and it's all about you mum...

And there's gratitude.. so much of that, that we had you, such a wonderful mother...Bright and shining, nobody's fool, independent, but humble too;
Smart, and kind, and fun.
Adventurous..
A part of you has passed away, but much is carried everyday within us, and will as long as we are here.

This may be a final tribute,
A day to celebrate your life and say goodbyes;
But it's not final.
Every day I'll celebrate in some way, just by the virtue of how you shaped my life,
The absolute and incredible fortune that I knew you.
As a mother, a friend and a woman.

csgo4sale.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic