IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a question for atheists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a question for atheists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 1:02am
Originally posted by The Saint The Saint wrote:

I just don't get why you think life only has meaning if there is some sort of great sky fairy looking over you.

'Sky Fairy' idea aside, let me ask you what is the purpose of this life?

There are lots of rules in the world which we, the people, have made to allow society to work. The best of these are based on ethics.

While making these rules you must have realized that there are certain spheres where you cannot make rules, only obey them.

I see no grand purpose to life. We play the hand we are dealt as all other creatures do.

We compete, love, live and die because that's what we do.

What rules do you think there are that we humans cannot change which are socail rules rather than physical rules that the universe runs on? I bet which ever social rule you can find, I can find a society which ran on the opposite path.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 6:27pm
It's funny, just today I stood outside in a storm thinking this:

How could anyone not believe that there is a great deal more to this thing we call life?
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 1:07am
Wrong.

The theory of evolution is more and more proven due to the mountain of evidence to support it and the absolute lack of evidence to refute it.

I have yet not seen that mountain of evidence but I do wish to do first things first. You have to first deal with the truth of the assumption that the universe created itself. Here's a quote and counter quote regarding the question. The universe could NOT have created itself In his latest book, misleadingly entitled The Grand Design, Steven Hawking makes the adventurous claim that �because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.� Think about that. Dr. John Lennox (Professor in Mathematics at Oxford University acknowledges that Hawking is a brilliant theoretical physicist but responds to Hawking�s assertion that �the universe can and will create itself from nothing� with; �That sounds to me like something out of Alice in Wonderland ... it�s not science!�11 Lennox explains by saying; "If I say �X creates X,� I presuppose the existence of X in order to account for the existence of X. To presuppose the existence of the universe to account for its existence is logically incoherent."12 Or put simply; �From nothing, nothing comes!� or �No-thing cannot do anything!�13 In relation to Hawking's latest idea Dr. Lennox rightly concludes; "What this all goes to show is that nonsense remains nonsense, even when talked by world-famous scientists".14 The universe cannot have created itself!

It's obvious simplicity and lack of any need for external interferance to explain the divergence of life forms and the constant appearance of new species makes it very robust.

It is used to predict the pattern of change of disease and to make planning decisions that allow the western world to have in place stratagies to counter diseases which have not yet arrisen such as bird flue.

Bird flue is in the general bird population. The proximity of humans to lots of birds, particularly in South East Aisa, means that it will jump species and evolve the ability to be transmitted between humans at some point. But we have already studied the likely forms of such a virus and have built structures of medical science which are likely to be able to counter this new disease without the otherwise hundreds of millions of deaths.

Living Things Never Arise from Non-living Things To produce a living thing you must start with a living thing. Evolution requires non-living matter to turn into a living organism and this has never been observed. A Biology textbook puts it like this: "As we have seen, the life of every organism comes from its parents or parent. Does life ever spring from nonliving matter? We can find no evidence of this happening. So far as we can tell, life comes only from life. Biologists call this the principal of biogenesis." 8 So when it comes to real science (i.e. things we can actually establish by observation and experiment) life always comes from life! Evolutionists insist life came from nonliving matter but they have no way of proving this. Just saying something repeatedly doesn't make it true!

Looking at the real world and wishing to understand how it works makes us more powerful. Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying LaLaLaLa... results in you being more st**id than you should be.

Darwin said: "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 1:20am
Please explain what evidence you see as being contradictory to the idea of natural selection.

Go here: http://www.icr.org/home/resources/resources_tracts_scientificcaseagainstevolution/ and http://www.changinglives.org.au/evolution.html
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Greetings Ringer,
Thank you for all your effort and information.

Greetings Ringer,
I don't know that animals have to have a soul to be connected to the design of the Creator.

I agree.

Greetings Ringer,
The fact is, because they are not designed like humans, they don't compromise the design of the Creator the way that humans do.  

You've again introduced this idea of "design" and claimed that it is not the same for animals and humans without any evidence.

In fact there is virtually unlimited evidence to the contrary in that humans and animals are indistinguishable by such criteria and were developed (evolved) by the principles of natural selection.

Greetings Ringer,

I agree, there is no reason to deny natural selection...

It seems the best way for religious people to approach this -- as it will then cause no conflict between the demonstrable reality of the world we experience and the beliefs of religion.

I am very serious about this and have always thought (and mentioned above) that those who place their religious beliefs in opposition to scientific knowledge set themselves up for disappointment (at best) and apostasy (at the extreme.)

Greetings Ringer,

in fact, in a way, humans thwart natural selection by not being smart in their mating choices... but that too is because they have strayed from the guidance of the Creator.... He has told us how to behave.  Humans choose not to listen, and to do things according to their own mind.

One of the actual differences between humans and animals is that we can more easily thwart our natural instincts and built in tendencies.

This is both our great boon and advantage, while also being on occasion our burden.

We're smart, and sometimes smart enough to do extremely st**id things.

Greetings Ringer,

asalaam and blessings to you, Smile
Caringheart

And to you.

--
Ringer
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 4:50am

I have yet not seen that mountain of evidence but I do wish to do first things first.

You have only to look, as there are plenty of sources from the beginner level to very advanced without having to even leave your computer.

On this note, I think one of the most dramatic and compelling single item I have ever encountered was in the Smithsonian Institute Natural History Museum (Washington DC.)

(At one time) On entering there were 3 skeletons:  A chimpanzee, a gorilla, and a human.

Nothing so simple could make it so obvious. (Evolution that is, since remember that evolution is an almost infinite set of FACTS that were best explained by The Theory of Natural Selection.)

You have to first deal with the truth of the assumption that the universe created itself.

This is largely unrelated to Natural Selection.  Natural Selection doesn't deal with the creation of the universe or even with the creation of life in much detail (it may one day to this latter.)

Natural Selection only explains the "origin of species", that is, the diversity and connected of all all life (on earth)  from simple principles and mechanisms.

Here's a quote and counter quote regarding the question. The universe could NOT have created itself In his latest book, misleadingly entitled The Grand Design, Steven Hawking makes the adventurous claim that �because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.� Think about that. Dr. John Lennox (Professor in Mathematics at Oxford University acknowledges that Hawking is a brilliant theoretical physicist but responds to Hawking�s assertion that �the universe can and will create itself from nothing� with; �That sounds to me like something out of Alice in Wonderland ... it�s not science!�11 Lennox explains by saying; "If I say �X creates X,� I presuppose the existence of X in order to account for the existence of X. To presuppose the existence of the universe to account for its existence is logically incoherent."12 Or put simply; �From nothing, nothing comes!� or �No-thing cannot do anything!�13 In relation to Hawking's latest idea Dr. Lennox rightly concludes; "What this all goes to show is that nonsense remains nonsense, even when talked by world-famous scientists".14 The universe cannot have created itself!

The above has little or nothing to do with natural selection.

If you wish to understand this subject then it's best not to try to learn it from a physicist or cosmologist but instead choose a biologist or even a non-scientist who is an expert as explaining science and has studied the subject in detail to explain it to other laymen.

It's obvious simplicity and lack of any need for external interferance to explain the divergence of life forms and the constant appearance of new species makes it very robust.

This however is quite true.

The robustness of the explanation is quite astounding.

Living Things Never Arise from Non-living Things To produce a living thing you must start with a living thing.

How would you (or anyone) know that? 

"Never" is one of those words almost never allowing for proof while a single counter-example (it only has to happen once) offers disproof.

Distrust any supposedly scientific claim that includes words like "never".

And again, this is largely unrelated to Natural Selection which does NOT attempt to explain the literal origin of the FIRST living thing(s ).

Evolution requires non-living matter to turn into a living organism and this has never been observed.

The above sentence is a critical misunderstanding of both the facts of evolution and the Theory of Natural Selection which explains these facts.

Once of Darwin's brilliant strategies was to study "articificial selection" during the develop of "Origin of Species".

We studies pigeon breeding in detail and other human selected evolution such as dogs (and chickens I believe) to show examples of evolution in human time (i.e., not over millenia.)

You can easily see EVOLUTION by tracking such breeding programs but of course the mechanism is (at least slightly) different.

Humans make the decisions about which traits are "fittest" by choosing the ones they prefer, e.g., in dogs it might be hunting ability, beauty (as judged by humans), size, etc.

In nature, 'Natural Selection' operates by the genes which the best survival making it on to the next generations over what to humans are extremely long time spans and many, many generations.

To 'see' natural selection operated ('in real time') it is necessary to study life forms with very short generational life spans.  (Which of course has been done as well.).

This latter actually includes evidence "proving" (in the pure sense of the word) some aspects of natural selection by moving them from Theory into facts that are observed and documented.

But it is still most useful to remind yourself that "Evolution is the body of facts, and Natural Selection is the Theory which best and well explains those facts."

--
Ringer
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 12:03pm

Wrong.

The theory of evolution is more and more proven due to the mountain of evidence to support it and the absolute lack of evidence to refute it.

I have yet not seen that mountain of evidence but I do wish to do first things first. You have to first deal with the truth of the assumption that the universe created itself. Here's a quote and counter quote regarding the question. The universe could NOT have created itself In his latest book, misleadingly entitled The Grand Design, Steven Hawking makes the adventurous claim that �because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing.� Think about that. Dr. John Lennox (Professor in Mathematics at Oxford University acknowledges that Hawking is a brilliant theoretical physicist but responds to Hawking�s assertion that �the universe can and will create itself from nothing� with; �That sounds to me like something out of Alice in Wonderland ... it�s not science!�11 Lennox explains by saying; "If I say �X creates X,� I presuppose the existence of X in order to account for the existence of X. To presuppose the existence of the universe to account for its existence is logically incoherent."12 Or put simply; �From nothing, nothing comes!� or �No-thing cannot do anything!�13 In relation to Hawking's latest idea Dr. Lennox rightly concludes; "What this all goes to show is that nonsense remains nonsense, even when talked by world-famous scientists".14 The universe cannot have created itself!

It is used to predict the pattern of change of disease and to make planning decisions that allow the western world to have in place stratagies to counter diseases which have not yet arrisen such as bird flue.

Bird flue is in the general bird population. The proximity of humans to lots of birds, particularly in South East Aisa, means that it will jump species and evolve the ability to be transmitted between humans at some point. But we have already studied the likely forms of such a virus and have built structures of medical science which are likely to be able to counter this new disease without the otherwise hundreds of millions of deaths.

Living Things Never Arise from Non-living Things To produce a living thing you must start with a living thing. Evolution requires non-living matter to turn into a living organism and this has never been observed. A Biology textbook puts it like this: "As we have seen, the life of every organism comes from its parents or parent. Does life ever spring from nonliving matter? We can find no evidence of this happening. So far as we can tell, life comes only from life. Biologists call this the principal of biogenesis." 8 So when it comes to real science (i.e. things we can actually establish by observation and experiment) life always comes from life! Evolutionists insist life came from nonliving matter but they have no way of proving this. Just saying something repeatedly doesn't make it true!

Looking at the real world and wishing to understand how it works makes us more powerful. Sticking your fingers in your ears and saying LaLaLaLa... results in you being more st**id than you should be.

Darwin said: "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."

The above seems a little chopped up but I will try to respond.

1, The line between life and not-life is not what you think, clear, but is infact very hard to draw. This video is about that;

https://www.ted.com/talks/martin_hanczyc_the_line_between_life_and_not_life?language=en

It's a very good video. The man has mixed 4 types of oil to make droplets which to my definition are alive. He says that thay lack the complexity to count as alive but since they are clearly competing for resources to grow and reproduce, that they breed and produce new more complex forms of themselves I don't really see the option to not say that they count as life.

2, I don't know how the universe started. I do know that it started morethan 12.5 billion years ago and that the oldest objects in the universe, that we have been able to see, appeared then. That the universe was a lot smaller then and that it has been expanding since then and I am told that the actual age of the universe is something over 13 billion years. I am unable to present the 13+ billion years as evidence because I don't understand the evidence for it but the 12.5 billion year old galaxy sized oragne fuzzy thing I can understand and thus can present it as evidence for the age of the universe.

3, The eye is a very good example of how evolution works to make something that does indeed look at first glance to be far too complex to not be the work of design rather than competitive selection from randon chance over many hundreds of millions of years.

If you look at a snail's eyes you will see that they have a much simpler set of eyes that can see very limited things. These proto-eyes are still important to them. They give the snail an advantage.

There are corals that have the most basic eye. This is the ability to sense light and dark. If it goes dark they pull in their feeding wands (whatever they are called) because there might be a fish about to eat them. When it's sunny there is no fish over them and they can feed. All you need for this is one nerve cell receptive to sunlight. And the instinct.

There are examples of eyes from the single cell light/dark one to the super vision of an eagle. A full range of eyes between the two extremes. Our complex eyes did not evolve at once. Many steps happened along the way.

airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2016 at 1:44pm
Quote The Saint:

I have yet not seen that mountain of evidence
Sure, whenever you get it you never read it (Did you have a look at 'Science' and 'Nature' searching for "Evolution" as I suggested ? I guess not).
Do a simple exercise: Google a picture of a human skeleton and google for the skeleton of a Chimpanzee or a Bonobo.

Compare !

What do you see ?

----------------------------------------------------
Quote Living Things Never Arise from Non-living Things
Admittedly there is no concluding theory about abiogenesis, but this is also not the subject of ET. ET gives an explanation on how life[-forms] evolve(s) and not on how it came into existence.

It's like saying: Einstein is wrong because his theory of relativity does not explain Magnetism.

Ah, BTW. since you seem to know a lot about this subject: Is a virus dead or alive ? Why ?
------------------------------------------------------

Quote Darwin said: "To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree."
Correct, but his statement didn't finish there, he added:
"...if numerous gradations from a simple and imperfect eye to one complex and perfect can be shown to exist, each grade being useful to its possessor, as is certainly the case; if further, the eye ever varies and the variations be inherited, as is likewise certainly the case and if such variations should be useful to any animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, should not be considered as subversive of the theory."

Why don't you mention this part of his statement ?

It also clearly shows that Darwin was very critical even to his own theory. This is what makes a good scientist.
But again, it also shows your unwillingness to even look for information (is it really so difficult to type "eye + evolution" and then hit return ?), Today we know much more than Darwin could know about this subject.

Last not least: The human eye is actually rather badly constructed (Thanks Creator !) compared to the one of other species (Blood vessels in front(!) of the retina, wow !). That we didn't get all eaten by roaming predators is only because our brain reconstructs a decent image.

------------------------------------------------------

Quote Airmano (about religious fundamentalism):
In some aspects 'yes', but not but not when it comes to the denial of reality.

The Saint:
Yeah, they both deny your reality! That nothing came out of nothing and so on.....blah....blah......blah! Tell me Airmano have you ever come across in the material world which created itself?

I did reply to your question about "nothing from nothing" but you either didn't read it or you didn't understand it or you ignored it.

None of the three is a good sign.
-----------------------------------------------------
Quote The Saint:
...Like a fan or a car or a piece of jewellery made exquisitely

Still stuck with the Watchmakers analogy ?
Jesus, This has been rebutted already more than a 100 years ago.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 17 June 2016 at 12:41am
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
  Share Topic