IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - a question for atheists  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a question for atheists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a question for atheists
    Posted: 28 April 2016 at 11:10pm
Greetings,
Any atheists on here;
I am interested to know what does an atheist tell to their child when a loved one dies?  Do they offer nothing of comfort to the child?
Thanks and salaam.

Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:55am
Alhamdolillah, I am not an atheist but I have often thought about the fact that the atheists have nothing to look forward to. No incentives to be morally right and ethical and have nothing to guarantee them everlasting happiness.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 7:03pm
You do not need to be an atheist to realize that for them they first of all see it as the difference between telling a lie about a fantasy and the simple truth -- as much as a child can absorb.

Also, there's an implication that death is bad -- when maybe it is just the way people react to death that is bad.

In my experience both religious people and those without religion are saddened by death -- or not.

Many atheists celebrate Christmas or other holidays, simply for the fun.

Comforting a child can be done in many ways -- depending on the child and the maturity of the child.

For instance, "we can tell all of our favorite stories of Grand Ma" or "Let's look at the pictures of Uncle Fred and remember how much fun we had."

I would be for more worried a child would find out about the Islamic vision of Hell fire and Damnation.

THAT IS SCARY to those who come to believe in it.
--
Ringer
Tim the plumber View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 6:28am
I thought I would post this as an example of a Humanist funeral reading;

How do We Let A Mother Go

How do we let a mother go?
How do we say "I'm ready now to go on without you"?
How can we ever have a clue of what that really means?
And of a sudden the moment is upon us, and there's no turning back.
And then we know what grief is,... and guilt and love and things undone.
Try to prepare and we will fail in some way, be it subtle or looming....

But there is peace too. peace and acceptance and overwhelming love that we maybe weren't aware of. waves and waves of conflicting emotion,
And laughter too, and memories we hadn't bothered lately to recall come flooding back in shared company.. and it's all about you mum...

And there's gratitude.. so much of that, that we had you, such a wonderful mother...Bright and shining, nobody's fool, independent, but humble too;
Smart, and kind, and fun.
Adventurous..
A part of you has passed away, but much is carried everyday within us, and will as long as we are here.

This may be a final tribute,
A day to celebrate your life and say goodbyes;
But it's not final.
Every day I'll celebrate in some way, just by the virtue of how you shaped my life,
The absolute and incredible fortune that I knew you.
As a mother, a friend and a woman.

From http://www.funeralhelper.org/funeral-readings/non-religious-funeral-readings.html

I think we should view death as a reminder to live our own lives.

Edited by Tim the plumber - 06 May 2016 at 6:28am
airmano View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airmano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 12:58pm
@Caringheart
I will tell you what I told my 10y old son when my father passed away:

He's gone, we will never meet him again. Try to memorize the stories you know and experienced about him, they are and will be part your history and self-understanding. We all die every day, things we considered as important yesterday may not be important today anymore. Intense memories you had yesterday may be much less intense or even forgotten today. Forgetting is the brother of death. Every piece of information we lose is a little death, or call it transformation rather. You know the [German] proverb: "every goodbye/farewell is a little death". The biological death is just the end of this transformation.

Although he has passed away, in a certain sense he is still alive and he sits right in front of you [my son]. When I look in the mirror, when I watch myself doing certain things I realize that I am more my own father than I want[ed] it to be. His life was not in vain, it brought me to life and eventually you as well. He is literally part of us.

We are all mortal, but we have two weapons of defense:
The first and by far the most powerful one is having children. They will live on as we die and they are the closest copy of ourselves we can get.
The second one are the people around us. The more we exchange [with them] the more traces we leave [of ourselves]. This is one of the many reason why friends are important.

I didn't stop there but it may give you the general picture....

May be I should give you my view on death. I do paragliding (in the US you call this parasailing sometimes).
If you see a tree in the middle of your landing field you have several options:
A) You concentrate on the tree. In this case you are likely to hit it [there are many studies about the famous self-fulfilling prophecies]
B) You ignore it. The likelihood to hit it is again very high but for different reasons.
C) You realize its presence, you integrate it in your flight strategy but you do not get overwhelmed by it.

I try to stick to C).

Now, Caringheart, may I ask you two counter-questions:

The first one is about resurrection: If I get resurrected, which Airmano will be resurrected: The toddler, the little boy I was at the age of ten the youngster later or may be the Alzheimer debilitated person I may be one day. This is not a rhetorical question: I have changed direction so many times in my life that I dare to say that a normal 10 year old boy is closer to what I was at the age of ten than I am now to my 10 y old ancient ego. (I hope this sentence is understandable).
Please don't chicken out in your reply by telling me stories of "the soul being the essence of a being": again, I see myself as a different person than the one I was when I was a toddler.

My second question is even more vicious [and I address this one explicitly to our Muslim friends as well]: I don't know whether you have kids or not. Let's assume you have. You end up in heaven but one or more of your kids end up in hell. Heaven is supposed to be a place of eternal happiness.
Honestly, could you be happy knowing that some of your children get tortured every second till eternity ?
A frightening thought, either way.

Airmano

Edited by airmano - 07 May 2016 at 2:21pm
The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses (Albert Einstein 1954, in his "Gods Letter")
The Saint View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Saint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:25am
I thought I would post this as an example of a Humanist funeral reading;

How do We Let A Mother Go
How do we let a mother go?
How do we say "I'm ready now to go on without you"?
How can we ever have a clue of what that really means?
And of a sudden the moment is upon us, and there's no turning back.
And then we know what grief is,... and guilt and love and things undone.
Try to prepare and we will fail in some way, be it subtle or looming....

But there is peace too. peace and acceptance and overwhelming love that we maybe weren't aware of. waves and waves of conflicting emotion,
And laughter too, and memories we hadn't bothered lately to recall come flooding back in shared company.. and it's all about you mum...

And there's gratitude.. so much of that, that we had you, such a wonderful mother...Bright and shining, nobody's fool, independent, but humble too;
Smart, and kind, and fun.
Adventurous..
A part of you has passed away, but much is carried everyday within us, and will as long as we are here.

This may be a final tribute,
A day to celebrate your life and say goodbyes;
But it's not final.
Every day I'll celebrate in some way, just by the virtue of how you shaped my life,
The absolute and incredible fortune that I knew you.
As a mother, a friend and a woman.

From http://www.funeralhelper.org/funeral-readings/non-religious-funeral-readings.html

I think we should view death as a reminder to live our own lives.

It is, without a doubt, a beautiful tribute and remembrance of a Mother. It is very emotional and it expresses several sentiments. All so close to divine commandments But without any reference to Him.. I do find that some of the thoughts expressed here could not be inspired by a God-less world. The great sentiment among humans, love, I think can be inspired by God only. We should view death as a landmark in a journey. Death is not the end of the journey.
Invite [all] to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching;
and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious
Ringer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 2:09pm
"...sentiments here could not be inspired by a God-less world. The great sentiment among humans, love, I think can be inspired by God only."

There is nothing wrong with this belief, and it is your belief, but it is also without evidence.

This is in fact the essence of religion in contrast to science:  At it's core, Religion is belief without evidence.

--
Ringer
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by airmano airmano wrote:

@Caringheart
I will tell you what I told my 10y old son when my father passed away:

He's gone, we will never meet him again. Try to memorize the stories you know and experienced about him, they are and will be part your history and self-understanding. We all die every day, things we considered as important yesterday may not be important today anymore. Intense memories you had yesterday may be much less intense or even forgotten today. Forgetting is the brother of death. Every piece of information we lose is a little death, or call it transformation rather. You know the [German] proverb: "every goodbye/farewell is a little death". The biological death is just the end of this transformation.

Although he has passed away, in a certain sense he is still alive and he sits right in front of you [my son]. When I look in the mirror, when I watch myself doing certain things I realize that I am more my own father than I want[ed] it to be. His life was not in vain, it brought me to life and eventually you as well. He is literally part of us.

We are all mortal, but we have two weapons of defense:
The first and by far the most powerful one is having children. They will live on as we die and they are the closest copy of ourselves we can get.
The second one are the people around us. The more we exchange [with them] the more traces we leave [of ourselves]. This is one of the many reason why friends are important.

I didn't stop there but it may give you the general picture....

May be I should give you my view on death. I do paragliding (in the US you call this parasailing sometimes).
If you see a tree in the middle of your landing field you have several options:
A) You concentrate on the tree. In this case you are likely to hit it [there are many studies about the famous self-fulfilling prophecies]
B) You ignore it. The likelihood to hit it is again very high but for different reasons.
C) You realize its presence, you integrate it in your flight strategy but you do not get overwhelmed by it.

I try to stick to C).

Now, Caringheart, may I ask you two counter-questions:

The first one is about resurrection: If I get resurrected, which Airmano will be resurrected: The toddler, the little boy I was at the age of ten the youngster later or may be the Alzheimer debilitated person I may be one day. This is not a rhetorical question: I have changed direction so many times in my life that I dare to say that a normal 10 year old boy is closer to what I was at the age of ten than I am now to my 10 y old ancient ego. (I hope this sentence is understandable).
Please don't chicken out in your reply by telling me stories of "the soul being the essence of a being": again, I see myself as a different person than the one I was when I was a toddler.

My second question is even more vicious [and I address this one explicitly to our Muslim friends as well]: I don't know whether you have kids or not. Let's assume you have. You end up in heaven but one or more of your kids end up in hell. Heaven is supposed to be a place of eternal happiness.
Honestly, could you be happy knowing that some of your children get tortured every second till eternity ?
A frightening thought, either way.

Airmano

Greetings Airmano,

Your reply sounds very spiritual.

Your questions are very difficult.
I have pondered on the second before... and it is what grieves a parents heart so much to see a child gone astray.

I don't believe that I have answers for either of your questions.  If any comes to me I will be back.  Smile

Now I have another question though...
What brings an atheist to a forum such as this?

Note:  I can say this...
I can clearly see two forces at work in the world... so I must also believe that there are two destinations that can be reached at the end of the journey through this world. 
(that was just given to me) Smile

Edited by Caringheart - 09 May 2016 at 10:45pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic