IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islaam for a Buddhist  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islaam for a Buddhist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 8:40pm

Mr Varshaken, I have been trying to explain to you the meanings of most of the verses about which you have asked as well as I have explained the message of oneness of God and about the Prophets. The only question to which you are not satisfied with my answer is why Allah tests us despite knowing who He will put in Heaven or Hell. Even to this I have tried my best to answer, and because you are not convinced I suggested that you continue to read the Qur'an ie the translation. I have earlier suggested to you the best site that I found. I am once again giving this site link which has translations by three translators: http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/ Before every sura there is the introduction provided by a very good scholar, which would help you understand. There are a lot of books available explaining Islam. Once again it worries me that people sincerely intersted in learning about Islam may unfortunately get hold of the wrong sources of information or the advise of people who are seen to be following Islam but belong to completely different sects from main stream Islam. Their teachings are in many ways contrary to what the Qur'an says and relate more to historical facts etc.

IN one of my earlier posts I have also suggested some books as well as a site. Please refer to that. The following sites also may be helpful to you: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=brows e&CR=218&dgn=4. This site is called Islam Q & A.

http://www.islaam.com/ May be this may help. If you want some books mailed to you free of cost you can send your address by private message and I could get them mailed out. Islamicity may also offer this service, you could also check with them.

Please do not think that I am tired of your questions. You can continue to ask and I will try to explain to the best of my ability. However, as I have said earlier that I am not a scholar but only someone who is seeking Allah's guidance and struggling to earn His pleasure. So do not hesitate to pick up some good sources of information (books or learned scholars) - from amongst the Sunni or main stream Islam). Most of the non-Arabs don't understand Arabic and all that we do is to understand the meaning of the verses that we recite in our namaz so that we can increase our concentration and be mindful of what we recite. Some people do learn the language but I would think it would be easier to learn if you are in the company of Arabs or in an Arabic speaking country. But we all have our limitations and we can only try our best with whatever Allah has blessed us with and seek His forgiveness.

Edited by Tasneem
varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2005 at 10:17am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your reply.

Brother, you said that you have read Koran more and make it a point to read it. Atleast explain me what you understand. It will take a lot of time for learning Arabic and then understand Koran. My friends here themselves dont know Arabic, thats why they are sending their children for Arabic classes.

Can you please atleast tell me from where to start? I feel that Koran is not where to start to know about Islaam. Koran is the best part of Islaam, but one cannot understand directly. Please tell me where to start.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 7:11pm

Mr Varshaken, the translation from Arabic to English or any other language cannot be completely accurate. There are some words in the Qur'an for which the translators have not been able to find the exact equivalent words. So they have done their best to present it in a manner that we readers can understand from our own perspectives. It is true God is everywhere and He knows the secrets of every heart. Here we are talking about the day of Judgement when this world that we live in bears absolutely no resemblance to what we have seen. As I've said before our ability to think is limited by our experience and the capacity of our mind only. What we have not seen is beyond our imagination. The word "hand" could also mean those who are given their books (their book of deeds) in their right hand who are the fortunate ones, and those given in their left or behind their backs could be the sinners.

When I started reading the Qur'an and understanding my religion I too had some questions, but the more I read, I felt that it is safer for me to understand the plain meaning as I grasp it at that moment. Also I read the commentary that was provided by the scholars, but the commentary is not exhaustive.  The Qur'an is not a book to be read once or twice and kept in a safe place. Unfortunately many of us do not read it constantly, I have heard people (Muslims) say yes I've read the translation once or twice. The more you read it the more you understand its meaning according to when God wants to make things clear to you. To me it is the source of Divine Guidance and so to many Muslims, and we read it everyday of our lives and are grateful to God for having bestowed it on mankind. My advise to you is don't stop if you cannot understand any particular aspect, move on to the next and keep reading. If your search for the truth is sincere, Allah will guide you and help you understand and make it easy for you.

varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 4:45am
Hi again Mr. Tasneem!!!!!

Though the second part of my question can be of no importance as stated in 3rd chapter 7th Sura, I still feel that there is a scope of explanation in it.

Thanking you,

Varshaken, the Samurai.
varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2005 at 4:41am
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for answering me.

But I was not talking about us human beings. I was talking about God. I was saying that God knows exactly what happens and still gives us a choice. God knows exactly that if a certain man is created he will be a non-believer yet He creates him and then "punish" him as said in the Koran. Thats why I was asking you whether I missed any crucial point in studying Koran.

Regarding the versus, I was saying that what does those Right Hand, Left Hand, Nearest etc allude? God is everywhere, then whats the meaning in saying nearest of Him, right hand, left hand etc.

Thats what I was saying to Mr. Muratkose,"When I read the versus, I started speculating about the Day. At the extreme right there will be our Prophets, then the believers and then at last the non-believers. But then, got another problem, Prophets should be the foremost. I could not explain myself and so I asked the question in the forum."

God does not have any shape nor He is a part of something, He is everywhere. Then how could anyone be nearest to Him and some other farthest to Him?

Anyway, thank you for answering.

Varshaken, the Samurai.
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2005 at 10:29pm

Mr Varshaken, the teacher knows the student's capability and performance, yet the student does not give up hope and appears for the exam doing his best with the desire and hope that his better performance would please his teacher and he would pass his exam. Is it not the case? We know that some of us will pass the exam and some will fail but we don't abscond from sitting the exam only because we think we are going to fail, do we? Similarly, a true believer never gives up hope. Giving up hope is fatalistic. Allah has promised His forgiveness for those who sincerely repent, His bounties are open to all. Yes, Allah knows each ones place but do we? He gives us every opportunity to repent and do good to protect us, yet after all the guidance if we continued to abide in sin it is our own fault isn't it? About this aspect I don't think I can clarify more. The only thing I can say is never give up hope in His Mercy and obey His commands & seek HIs forgiveness.

The explanation that A Yusuf Ali has provided for the following verses:

"56:8 : Then (there will be) the Companions of the Right Hand;- What will be the Companions of the Right Hand?"
"56:9 : And the Companions of the Left Hand,- what will be the Companions of the Left Hand?"

is this:

"There will be a sorting out of Good and Evil. There will be 3 main classes. Among the good there will be the specially exalted class, those nearest to God, and the righteous people generally, called the Companions of the Right Hand. And there will be those in agony, the Companions of the Left Hand. Many who were high and mighty in this life will be brought low for their sins, and many who were lowly but virtuous will be exalted to various ranks and degrees. The old landmarks will be lost in the inner world, as they will be in the outer world."

YUSUFALI: And those Foremost (in Faith) will be Foremost (in the Hereafter).

YUSUFALI: These will be those Nearest to Allah:

Explanation Yusuf Ali: "Foremost (in Faith): there are two main meanings, and both are implied. (1)Those who have reached the highest degree in spiritual understanding such as the great prophets and teachers of mankind, will also take precedence in the Hereafter. (2) Those who are the first in time - the quickest and readiest - to accept God's Message - will have the first place in the Kingdom of Heaven. Verses 8, 9 and 10 mention the three main categories or classifications after judgement. In the subsequent verses their happiness or misery are symbolised. This category, Foremost in Faith, is nearest to God.

Hope this explains it.

Edited by Tasneem
varshaken View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varshaken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2005 at 8:03pm
Hi Mr. Tasneem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for answering me promptly.:)

But my question is not concerned with destiny. I know we are the makers of our own destiny. If we do good we will go to Heaven, and if we do bad we will go to hell.

My question is regarding Allaah's Omniscience. You said," IN Islam we do not believe in pre-destination." I am not at all concerned about pre-destination. I was telling that Allaah knows everything. He now itself knows who is going to Heaven and who is going to hell. Allaah is not bound by time. He knew everything before He started Creation. Thats the reason I particularly asked. If He knows the result, then whats the purpose of the test?

Thats why I was saying that I may be missing some important points about Islaam.

Hope you get my point.

Thanking you,

Everthankful,
Varshaken, the Samurai.
Tasneem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasneem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:04pm

Mr Varshaken

I still have to find the answer to the second part of your first question and I have'nt found the time to, but I will look up and let you know God willing, otherwise perhaps Mr Shakur or Mr Muratkose may provide the answer before me.

I have a little time now and I found your questions very reasonable and something many of us ask when we are learning about Islam. About my answer that you have quoted, let us never forget that God is the best dispenser of justice. Why would He punish an infant or anyone who has not come in contact with the true message? But why are they sent on earth? Allah knows best, everyone is sent for a purpose. He accomplishes that purpose in whatever way He wants. This is beyond our knowledge and what is beyond our knowledge it is best not to speculate over it. As you continue to read the Qur'an you will perhaps be able to understand more about this when you read the Sura on the Cave and also Yusuf.

About your second last para Allah has given everyone of us a mind and a choice which He has not granted to any other living creature to the same extent as He has granted to the human mind. It is left to us to exercise this mind in thinking, pondering and following the right path. Most of us get too engrossed in the glitter of this world and we fear man more than anyone else. But we know from the Qur'an that this life is not the be all and end all and to Allah is our return. If we do not exercise our mind properly then it is our own loss. IN Islam we do not believe in pre-destination. This world is a test ground for each one of us and we are given the choice to follow path A or path B. In the Qur'an it has been clearly mentioned that we are going to be held accountable for all our deeds. Allah has said that no one knows the exact moment when and where the rain is going to fall, the future of the baby that is in its mother's womb, where we are going to die and when, however, where the life hereafter is concerned He has given us the choice to work towards it.

Also Allah has said in the Qur'an that whatever good we get it is from Allah and whatever evil befalls us it is from our ownselves. So to prevent the bad Allah has given us the choice to obey Him, to follow His commands, to fear Him, to repent and seek His forgiveness.

Edited by Tasneem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic