IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Western Values and Muslim Community  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Values and Muslim Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 4:12am
Salaam

Britain has a broken society. The teenage pregnancies and the sheer madness of sex education teaches nothing about morality. A fifteen years girl has a child from a thirteen year old boy. They and their parent are very proud of thie child anf grand child. Now two more boys claimed that they are the fathers of the child. DNA test will prove the child's paternity. This means that the girl had multiple sexual relations. Britain's rate of teenage pregnancy is the highest in western Europe. This is a clear indication of broken society. It is an eye opening for the Muslim community who send their children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers.

Sex education and contraception in schools make children as quasi adults, capable of making their own life choices. Children are being taught that sexually transmitted diseases could be easily treated and there is no acknowledgement of the emotional harm of premature sexual activity. The Government guidance has glamerised teenage fatherhood and underage sex. The truth is that more sex education and contraception are provided to children and teenagers, the more they fall pregant. Studies have shown that access to contraceptions and sex education, sexual activity and conception and prgnancy rates go up.

Bilingual Muslim Children need bilingual Muslim teachers as role models during their developmental periods.

There are hundreds of state as well as Church schools where Muslim pupils are in majority. In my opinion, all such schools may be designated as Muslim community schools.
Iftikhar Ahmad
www.londonschoolofislamics.org.uk

candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2009 at 2:02am
Quote In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic critical thinking skills.

Majority of the people are illiterate. They have limited access to information and hence, they can't think for themselves.

Quote but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

AFAIK, Pakistani culture is, at least, not promiscous and drenched in wine like the Western culture.

Quote We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

Teens haven't had much experience in life and they think short term; most, if not all of them are simply incapable to "accept the good and reject the non so good".
In my opinion, Muslims should not immigrate to the West unless it's a necessity. I would rather suggest them to remain loyal to their country, where they were born, brought up and received the education that enabled them to entertain the prosperous people overseas, and serve their countrymen.

Edited by candid_new - 10 March 2009 at 2:33am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 2:30pm
ahh but the question is.. is it Islam or their culture?

you can build all the schools you want,but the time comes each day they leave the schools and face the world.  The question i have.. unless you also seek to influence nonMuslims and help make a better society.. the issues will be there.

Immigrants face many challenges.. and often they do not understand the culture well enough to guide their kids.. and the generation separates..
its like seeing kids from Latin American countries send their kids to Catholic school the kids still intergrate.

i could even argue that the tendency to isolate is a problem and should be changed.

I do not know the British system.. but having lived in Pakistan,the culture is NOT Islamic. It is just its own version.. but living here.. the people are not really any more "Muslim." It is the cultural separation. That is the issue.

In fact also, i could say that Muslims from Pakistan need to re-learn Islam and formulate self-critical thinking skills.. which are not part of the culture. Conformism, tribalism rote-memory learning does not promote Islamic  critical thinking skills.

I bet you alot of money things have alot to do with economics.. here in the states the PAksitan community is one of the most well-off in the country. And adaption is quite easy. They don't like in high crime areas etc. So hence no gangs.. teenage aexd maybe.. but the other stuff no. Plus as they have intergrated themselves into society they participate on improving the whole community of people.  And thus build the bridges..

Issues like violence, gangs etc.. affect lower income neighborhoods. Parents do  not have the skill set to help thier kids find affective ways of navigating. We are social creatures and teens want to 'belong' and for better or for worse they want to intergrate.. so how to give them the skills to accept the good and reject the non so good..

I have no issue with different types of schools.  But we must be clear do you need pakistani schools or Muslim schools? I think maybe both.. but we should be clear that they are not synonymous with each other.

peace
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 11:43am

Salaam

The demand for Muslim schools is not just a question of equality, but spring from a belief among many minority parents that the education system does not adequately address their cultural needs. Failing to meet the need could result in fuelling resentment among a group who already feel excluded - concern over food and dress and the treatment of Empire in the curriculum are compounded by the relatively low achievement of children of Pakistan and Bangladeshi orgin. Setting up Muslim schools is a defensive response.

We are living in a plethora of challenges ranging from gang and gun crime to drug and alcohal, relationships and teenage pregnancies to questions of being apparently under pressure of being drawn into violent extremism. These challanges lay a great burden upon Muslim community. Muslim community is duty bound to help and guide future generation.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2009 at 8:15am

I dont even see a problem with Non-Muslim teachers teaching Arabic or anyother subject . . . . the only subject that I feel is exclusive to Muslim teachers and should remain so, would be related to Islamic Studies.

Remember the Battle of Badr? (i think thats the one, pl correct) The ransom of non-muslim POWs back then, was to teach muslim children. They could go free after teaching muslim children.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2009 at 8:39am
i think it is fine to not want your culture / Islam to be lost. Frankly 'culture' will be. If you live there it WILL influence your kids.. unless you isolate like the Hasidic Jewish communities and such.

If there is a Muslim school, like Catholic schools, have non Muslim students/ teamuchers who agree to the rules.. great. It is like Dawah.. I do not see why a nonMuslim cannot teach English.

its all a balancing act..
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
candid_new View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candid_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2009 at 9:57pm
Quote This post reflects how fussy Muslims can be as a community. What they are unable to do as a Muslim individual, as a Muslim family or as a Muslim community they demand the government to do for them.

They pay the taxes, too, they should have a say over how THEIR money is spent.
Quote Why are muslims so scared of others diluting their culture? Is it because their love and adherence to their culture is not strong enough? If so, something should be done within first, before changing the world around them.

I don't agree. Many people are selfish and lack foresight that it is impossible for them to correctly judge different cultures. For example, women in Europe were long back given freedom to work outside. For their own materialistic interests they chose to concentrate on their careers and have fewer children, although they had the means to support and take care of more children. Now, Europe abruptly finds itself with an overaging population with fewer and fewer young people to sustain the economy and pay the taxes to cover the pension of an aging population. The very survival of certain European nations is threatened.

What can be wrong in the native cultures of the children of immigrants that they take to alcohol and promiscuity when they grow up in Western countries, thereby harming their society and lives? Young people do so simply because they don't want to be left out. It's because of their desire to belong that they want to conform to decadent and immoral practices of Western "culture". It has nothing to do with the flaws of their own native culture (which I admit are not few).

Edited by candid_new - 04 March 2009 at 11:16pm
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 11:37pm
Salam/Peace,

Agree Nausheen, children can learn multiple launguages easily. Muslim children in US mostly ahead, because majority of muslim parent more aware to their children education compare to other minority group. They learn arabic, urdu or other laguages at weekend school or at home. Their english as perfect as white children or black children that their parent are english native.
In my kids school (small islamic school) there are 10 teachers, 3 teachers are non muslim.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic