Making Sense of Primaries in 2020 Election


The elections are eight months away. With the Nevada Primary on February 22nd, the voters will head to Super Tuesday on March 3rd, when fourteen states, as well as Americans living in foreign countries, will vote. These states are Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Virginia.

The primaries of the two parties will culminate in the national convention of each Party. The Democratic Party will hold its national convention on July 13-16 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the Republican Party will hold its on August 24-28, in Charlotte, North Carolina.

There will be 4,754 Democratic delegates with 4,750 votes as eight Democrats abroad have only half of a vote. Of all the Democratic representatives, 775 will be unpledged delegates who are called super delegates and who can vote whomsoever they like to vote. They make 16 percent of the total delegates, and they can swing the party election in a tight race. Among the super delegates are senate and house members of the Party, state governors, Democratic national committee members, and distinguished party leaders. So far, of the super delegates, 562 are uncommitted. 70 Super delegates have pledged their support to Joe Biden, 23 to Bloomberg, 23 to Sanders, 21 to Warren, 13 to Buttigieg, and 9 to Klobuchar.

The Republican Party convention will see 2,050 delegates to elect its nominee. President Trump is the nominee as several states Republicans have already endorsed him, canceling their caucuses and primaries. Traditionally, the Party in the White House holds its conference after the convention of the opposition.

March 3rd might seal the fate of Presidential nominees. The states going to poll on March 3rd will elect 212 delegates to 538 electoral college members who choose the President. The Democratic Party in its primaries will elect 1,344 representatives on that day from amongst six contenders. The Republicans have already sealed the deal in favor of Trump.

Eleven more states will hold primaries on March 10th and 17th, with 61 percent delegates chosen.  The remaining 39 percent of delegates will come through primaries held between March 18th and June 6th. The two big states New York and Pennsylvania, with 49 electoral college votes, will go to the primaries on April 18th.

By March 3rd, the picture should become clearer, but if the race is tight, it may go to the convention where uncommitted Super delegates might play a big role. So far, Bernie Sanders is in a big lead. Whether the Bloomberg money and Biden's attack on his so-called socialism and Buttigieg's concern over his health plan pose a big challenge, is yet to be seen.


Related posts from similar topics:


Disclaimer
The opinions expressed herein, through this post or comments, contain positions and viewpoints that are not necessarily those of IslamiCity. These are offered as a means for IslamiCity to stimulate dialogue and discussion in our continuing mission of being an educational organization. The IslamiCity site may occasionally contain copyrighted material the use of which may not always have been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. IslamiCity is making such material available in its effort to advance understanding of humanitarian, education, democracy, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, and such (and all) material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml If you wish to use any copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

No Comments